Blowout Troll
Years ago

NBL most uncompetitive league I have seen

Blow out after blow out after blow out.

Fox will kick this league off very quickly as interest will be turned away simply due to the lack of competitive games.

So far after 16 games....

1 game with a 3 point margin, another with a 5 point margin and another with a 6 point margin.

The rest have been blow outs....13 out of 16 games are blow outs? In an 8 team comp?

Interest will fade very quickly if this continues. I expect it to continue as teams start to get injuries and the brutal travel will start to take its toll.

Topic #38275 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shoosh m8

Reply #557151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, lucky the 6'ers and Taipans put on a good show tonight then isn't it, you idiot!

The sky isn't falling just yet!

Reply #557153 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Yeah, the season has started with some blow ups, but so what? When teams figure eachother out a bit more the games will become closer. Always has to be some "the world is over" moron.

Reply #557158 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Good show? LOL...36ers won by 11?

Another blow out.

Reply #557161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Queue the most idiotic comment I have read in a long time, here comes the OP>>>>> anon 38275, take a bow!

Reply #557162 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Oh it's all over isn't it, anonymous? The NBL is done for. There has been some blow outs, so it is over. It can't be repaired. Round three, and blow outs. Oh, no. Oh no. Someone get him his athsma medication. .

Reply #557164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That OP is an idiot, just dumb, hating life for the sake of it type individual.

Reply #557165 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Idiotic? LOL...my statement is FACT...13 of the 16 games have been BLOW OUTS....

If this continues, FOX will lose interest quickly.....the general fan tunes in ONLY if games are competitive....

I could only imagine what is going to happen tomorrow night when the Crocs go to Perth.

Reply #557167 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, the league needs to be more competitive if it's going to be successful. Like the AFL!

Reply #557168 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Crocs are going to get smashed by everyone, so what? Kings and 36ers will be tight.

Reply #557171 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

All the use of the capital letters makes me think you need too chill. The league is great, the playing pool is deep the close games will come.

Reply #557173 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think we have different definitions of blowout. The games I've seen have been competitive even if the final result has been 10-15 points. Wouldn't have thought that more than 2-3 have been blowouts.

And anything including Sydney has to factor in Childress being out.

Reply #557177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strongest NBL season ever. Crap.
Sixers eventually won by 11. Eventually.
Crocs fluked a few wins. Lets see how many they lose by as time goes on. The dredds imports are terrible.
Last nights games were a dead set serious bust.
Fox have an option after this season don't they? The OP may be exaggerating somewhat but I am paying for the feed and TBH it's crap.

Reply #557178 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Did you actually watch the game? It was a 2-point game at the start of the 4th after Cairns went on an 11-0 run in the third to cut the gap.
Meh, I'm debating with an idiot..

Reply #557182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the OP on drugs or GWB? Seriously grow a brain

Reply #557183 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't know too much about the AFL over here in NZ but it seems like just about every AFL game is a blowout.

Reply #557184 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

OP has a different definition of blow out to every single other person in the Universe.

Ergo, no, I doubt Fox will drop the NBL due to all of the blow outs.

Reply #557194 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This thread is getting way more attention than it is worthy of

Reply #557195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Five-point win = blowout hurr durr" -OP

derp_op

Reply #557200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Anon,

Don't pay any attention to Anon, or Anon, they are both such derps.

Reply #557201 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Hey OP... Here's some year 2 maths for you. If I have $88, and buy something for $79, how much change do I get?
Hint: it isn't $11.

Reply #557203 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What proves the standard of the league is the guys coming off the bench.

Warrick, Wortho, Ere, Redhage, etc.

Reply #557207 | Report this post

#178 is also a moron.

Reply #557209 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

#178 is the original OP for sure, Maybe lost money on the line or something.

Reply #557213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the original poster is the biggest collector of NBL merchandise in Australia.

Reply #557214 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

So by "blowout" you mean allowing the refs to take charge and change the game.

Congrats on the post that is all bullshizen

Reply #557215 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Looking at the ladder it looks pretty competitive to me with two outliers at either end. Actually, come to think of it OP, perhaps that is the first place you should have looked before saying something silly?

Reply #557216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think the original poster is the biggest collector of NBL merchandise in Australia."

Nah, seems too literate IMO

Reply #557219 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

11 points is a blow out?

Reply #557221 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

LMFAO

Reply #557224 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This guy has been posting in every thread trying to drum up negativity about the league, he's not getting much support so he starts his own thread, and doesn't get any support!

Reply #557233 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In terms of the dreadful dreads. Stats are what's currently on the FIBA site.

Marcus Thornton: 13.8 PPG (13th in league, 3rd amongst imports)
Jordair Jett: 12.6 PPG (18th in league, 6th amongst imports)
Charles Jackson: 11.2 PPG (25th in league, 8th amongst imports) plus 8.2 RPG

Last season's MVP on a team without much scoring competition is averaging 13.6 PPG, 14th in the league.

Tough for an import to assert himself when there are capable locals around like Penney, Khazzouh, Kickert, Ogilvy, Blanchfield, Johnson, Goulding, Gliddon, etc.

Reply #557238 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wrong thread I think Isaac, but I would say look deeper at the amount of shots Thornton is taking and at what percentage, and his assist to turnover ratio. He is struggling badly, but as a rookie it's not easy on a team that hasn't functioned that well the past three games.

Reply #557239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just back anyone who plays against crocs!! Better than bank interest

Reply #557245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Competitive or not the most off-putting aspect of watching NBL these days is the music played during the game. It's so amateur! Loving the bball however, regardless of margin. As one poster said it is early season and teams are figuring each other out. We will get some epic contests as the season progresses.

Reply #557248 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, was responding to this comment further up:

The dredds imports are terrible.

Thornton's forced a bit but has his moments. His 3P% is same as Cedric's and 2P% similar to Wagstaff and Cadee, so not alone in struggles. I'm also not unhappy to have lower percentage imports on teams other than my own!

Anon re music, did you watch last night's game? There was a league directive after the first couple of rounds to wind back the music. It was much better last night, and the commentators mentioned it too.

This is all you need to know about OP:

Another blow out.
Taipans were within a bucket in the fourth quarter and the home team won by single figures. Short of a pure nailbiter, that's what you want.

Only the Crocs are likely to be absolute battlers. Rest should be competitive.

Reply #557250 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"His 3P% is same as Cedric's."

Arguing against yourself there Isaac! One's a non-passing shooting guard and the other's the number one playmaker in the league.

Reply #557269 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Thornton has been the most disappointing new import in the league for mine. (Except McNeill due to injury).

It's all about expectations. Thornton was an NBA draft pick, and has had a golden opportunity to step up in the absence of Childress. But has struggled. Still, I think the diversion of attention to Childress will help. Thornton does seem to be getting better.

At least Starks came from div 2 Italy, so no one would've really expected a new Wilbekin.

Reply #557271 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Thornton seemed to discover that he can actually attack the basket from time-to-time against NZ, so I'm hoping he keeps that up.

Reply #557293 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

and the other's the number one playmaker in the league
Who keeps shooting threes!

Reply #557304 | Report this post

Re: blowouts. Is there any link to these "blowouts" and the time the losing team in the blowout has had between games compared to the winner? I'm not agreeing with OP about blowouts but if a by-product of this compressed/five nights a week schedule is seeing fatigued teams not being competitive against fresh teams, then it isn't a good outcome.

Reply #557307 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Are you suggesting maybe a team like Melbourne United may have fixed the draw and that's helped them with so many home games early on?

Kind of obvious that someone will benefit from home games in a row until every team adjusts, definitely would be a factor I would think...

Reply #557310 | Report this post

I wasn't suggesting anything about any specific team and I didn't mention home games at all. I'm saying that we're all thinking that its great to be seeing so many games per week, but if the quality of games drops off later in the week because teams are playing more frequently in a shorter season, then it isn't a good thing.

I don't know if that is the case or not so thats why I asked.

Reply #557311 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The schedule would benefit some teams more than others, but it isn't as simple as time between games I wouldn't think.

Many causal factors can be included, but these will be compounded by a heavy schedule that hurts some teams more than others.

Travel would be just as damaging to a team as a lack of time to recover properly, remember the distance these guys have to go for games is often massive.

Everyone has to accommodate this tight new schedule but especially early on it is obvious some teams have it a little easier than others, and some will adapt quicker too I imagine...

Reply #557316 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think there have only been four real blowouts of the 16 games so far. In contrast, there have been six or seven where the result has been in doubt deep into the last quarter.

Reply #557317 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Who keeps shooting threes!"

And who averages more assists per game than Thornton has for the season. Comparing the two is silly mate, sorry!

Reply #557320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, I didn't see last night's game but it sounds like the league have made a fantastic decision here. Nice to see some action from years of feedback. Will be watching this weekend for sure and look forward to hearing some noise from the crowd!

Reply #557321 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is the league competitive? After nine games all eight teams already had a win. Judge for yourself.

Reply #557325 | Report this post

Bear, I still think you're missing the point. I'm not saying any teams have an easier draw. I'm saying that playing more games in less time may seem like a great win for fans, but not if it means that the quality of games will suffer if one team is playing its third game in 5 nights while their opponent has played just the one.

Yes, that will even itself out across the season but its that actual game where one team is heavily fatigued that will suffer and that may result in more blowouts.

Reply #557332 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am actually agreeing with you in essence, but also making my own point mate...

Reply #557334 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Quality of the games wont fall away i dont reckon just to put my 2 bobs in... more games only 40mintes and less training is what it really means. The players in the league I know are a lot happier with more games and less training haha

Reply #557338 | Report this post

Ok fair enough, I thought you were misconstruing what I was saying.

Reply #557348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very strange post by the OP considering how entertaining last night's match was and the runs that occurred and omg Randle! :o :D

Reply #557351 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

As Kobe said, more games, less training should ultimately result in better basketball, including (hopefully) better FG% as players become more accustomed to playing for real.

I can shoot 90% FT in my backyard but put me in a game situation and I'd probably drop back to an ordinary 50%.

Reply #557357 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One school of thought says that more games means less preparation and scouting, and running a deeper bench. That can mean more times when the best players are facing off against the weakest.

Less scouting and a greater player disparity in isolated plays should theoretically mean more entertaining play.

Reply #557379 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I think the league has been competitive for sure, but I don't know about the quality of basketball overall.

Turnovers are very, very high - there's been a couple of games where there's collectively been more than 50 - and a lot of games become grinds. Shooting percentages overall have been low as well.

Good if you like defensive basketball I guess but sometimes the spectacle hasn't been great. That said, it is early in the season and I'd expect it to even itself out over time.

Reply #557423 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's true Isaac, but the schedule this year is only one round shorter than last season, so I doubt there's any real change.

Reply #557444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another double-digit margin. Let's hope Crocs/Wildcats is a close one

Reply #557526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another good contest with Sydney v Adelaide, now Crocs taking it right up to Perth. Seems like almost every game is interesting this season, maybe it is the greatest eva?

Reply #557570 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Townsville in Perth.

/thread

Reply #557591 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

So, anon...... with a win for the Crocs over Perth, how uncompetitive is the league?

Reply #557595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joint top team loses to the bottom side. Good one OP!

Reply #557602 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If it hasn't already been called, I am officially calling it, OP you have been exposed as a troll, sorry just calling it as I see it...

No way is the NBL noncompetitive, more like one of the most competitive leagues I have seen in a long time, great stuff tonight, just awesome!

Dare I say it again, Happy Days in NBL land.....

Reply #557607 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I could only imagine what is going to happen tomorrow night when the Crocs go to Perth."

Quote from the OP. I don't think you could have imagined, sir.

Reply #557613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Just back anyone who plays against crocs!! Better than bank interest"

hahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

enjoy your -100% return tonight!

Reply #557624 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Just goes to show, even really close games can be absolute SHIT.

Reply #557627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was awesome.

Reply #557632 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yet another 11 point NBL blowout tonight. Will this league ever give us a tight contest?

Reply #557643 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

What about the 2 point blow out between Townsville and Perth? I mean, that game was completely done with and over with half a second left on the clock!

Reply #557646 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wasn't 2 points Mark.
Final score 63-66 = 11 point shellacking.

[/DerpMaths]

Reply #557648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame you didn't predict it Paulo.

Reply #557658 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just goes to show, even really close games can be absolute SHIT.
Dazz, might be speaking for a lot of other non-Wildcats fans too when I say this, but I found it highly entertaining!

Reply #557665 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

x2!

Reply #557686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was thoroughly entertained. Mitch Norton and Corey Maynard breaking out now.

Reply #557687 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

might be speaking for a lot of other non-Wildcats fans too when I say this, but I found it highly entertaining!

Nah, it had SOME good points. 3-point shooting from the Crocs was a highlight, particularly that run at the end to win the game, and the see-swing scoreline at the end certainly kept everyone on the feet.
But apart form the first 5 minutes, and the last five (for different reasons) the game was just messy from both teams.

Reply #557692 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cats were messy after 1/4 time but the Crocs were good. I didn't think they could beat Perth in a slowdown game but their halfcourt execution at both ends was impressive in those final three quarters.

Reply #557714 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not fussed about it being messy when an underdog is coming back to beat Perth in Perth. ;)

Reply #557754 | Report this post

I didn't enjoy the result and the final few minutes but it can't be a bad thing for the league to have a result like last night.

I was a tad drunk and the only thing I can remember is Beal not scoring in the final quarter. Not even sure he got a decent shot off so full credit to the Crocs for shutting him down.

Reply #557759 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Agreed, SC.
When our offence was breaking down possession after possession, and I'm looking at who's on the floor and wondering where our next points were going to come from, all I could really come up with was Beal. I didn't even notice him getting a break last night, but as I look now I see he "only" played 38:55.

The Crocs were right to put a lot of effort into keeping the ball out of his hands and slowing him down when he had it. Pretty basic stuff I guess, but they did it effectively.

Reply #557771 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

LOL, yeah real competitive....Perth start the game MISSING 3 of there starting 5...

Then in the 2nd half, miss 4 of there starting and the crocs ONLY JUST beat the Wildcats.

Yep, real close league.

Reply #557821 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^ seriously I am over your idiotic posts and this thread, please go away!

Reply #557830 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

We weren't missing 3 of our starting 5. We were missing Martin & Prather, so that is 11 of our starting 5.

[/DerpMaths]

Reply #557839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you were pissed and can't remember and why do we need to know what you missed out. Oh that's right a great finish.

Reply #557867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What?

Reply #557891 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:16 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754