Dazz
Years ago

Thoughts on Knight @ PF?

Late last year, with injuries, we at times started both Jervis & Knight, and obviously this year have added Jawai.

Knight has for a couple of years now been our most valuable front-court player. I've always thought of him as more of a 4/5 than a pure centre, but in the NBL that is usually all you need.

So, 3 games in, what are your thoughts on Knight playing mostly at PF?
He's a had a great start to the season, playing more minutes, getting amongst the points and monstering the boards. (And of course now he's injured...)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is the critical issue for Perth, but I think it points the way.

In the paint, Knight is everything you want from a PF, very strong on both O & D. His range isn't great (and maybe as PF it doesn't need to be) and his movement is slow.

And no, I am not in anyway looking to pin our loss on his playing PF.
Just interested to hear what others think?

Topic #38297 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight himself last night said PF is his natural position and he feels good having Jawai at C. This was at HT TV interview before we all know what happened...

Reply #557906 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I thought he was putting up pretty good numbers at the 4, hope he stays there

Reply #557907 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Thoughts on Knight..... always injured. Always.

Reply #557924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was interesting to hear Brad Robbins say Knight had a lot of concussions in college to the point the school was seriously concerned about his future. He's had a number of concussions in the NBL since too.

Reply #557926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well he did most of his damage against tsv after jawai got hurt and he played centre the final term. He needs to improve his mid range shot if he wants to be an effective PF. think Scott fisher and James Crawford these guys were automatic from mid range

Reply #557969 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Knight used to be really solid from medium range too until the Wildcats got hold of him. It's not a shot he takes much anymore and I wonder how much practice he puts into it. His J is noticeably flatter these days.

Reply #557970 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

basketball today is trending toward smaller/mobile power forward who can shoot three's, Wildcats going against the grain in that regard. At this stage of his career - older, less mobile - I think he's better suited to Center, of course he's going to say he prefers PF, less toll on the body with another big guy playing alongside him.

A Jawai and Knight offense can work well, but Perth need three shooters on the floor with them, otherwise creates major spacing issues. That's why Prather isn't the best fit. Wildcats will only go as far as their 3-pointer shooters take them.

I wrote about here - http://wildcatsviews.com/2015/10/07/will-a-lack-of-three-point-shooting-hinder-the-wildcats/

Reply #557992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knights mid range game looked solid today then when he played centre second half he was great deep paint

Reply #558210 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

What a warrior, unbelievable performance

Reply #558214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he's on court with Jervis/Jawai play the 4.

Otherwise the 5.

Reply #558216 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Wrote some nice things about Matty Knight in todays recap

http://wildcatsviews.com/2015/10/25/perth-wildcats-stunning-win-over-illawarra-hawks/

Reply #558304 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's a solid player in either position. Massive effort in Wollongong yesterday.

Reply #558329 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Absolutely legendary effort against the Hawks. Can't recall a better game from him, massive minutes and hit a few from mid-range also.
If he can keep playing like that, then playing big minutes with Jawai could really work.

Reply #558530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't play big minutes with Jawai who isn't fit and most of his career hasn't been it seems.

Reply #558536 | Report this post

Air Goorjian  
Years ago

Matty Knight as a #beastunleashed. All NBL 1st if he keeps this up and doesn't burn out / injure himself.

Reply #558537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we retire Knight's number yet?

Reply #558540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One more concussion and he will have to retire. That's what they said after his last concussion last season from memory.

Reply #558543 | Report this post

Air Goorjian  
Years ago

Not before Dewey Michaels.. kidding.

Reply #558545 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"One more concussion and he will have to retire. That's what they said after his last concussion last season from memory."

Yeah, he's a worry. I cringed when he tried to take that charge on Conkln and went sliding backward towards the baseline corporate boxes. Just missed them, luckily.

Reply #558553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately for Knight he can't put a history of passed concussions behind you.

Reply #558555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

him*

Reply #558556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hate to be doom and gloom, but surely it is a serious worry for Knights health even if he never gets another concussion at this point for the rest of his living days. And does anyone see Jawai living too long past his playing days if he cant control his weight at this stage, only so much the heart can take, eating can almost be an addiction for some, I really hope the Cats try and educate him, because he is a heart attack waiting to happen and that would be damn tragic!

Reply #558585 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

FMD.
How does a thread about Matthew Knight degenerate into yet another "Jawai is Fat" rant?

Reply #558590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Relax Dazz, its not a go at him being fat and hating on perth for the sake of it, your too used to biting at all the hate. Its a genuine issue Im wishing I didn't think was going to be one. People started mentioning Knight and his concussion issues and the deterioration that can occur with that. Can you really see Jawai not ballooning out within a few years once its all said and done, would be a tragic story. His heart couldn't possibly take too much more weight, especially without the cardio.

Reply #558633 | Report this post

I remember Knight being concussed when the former Crocs guard took him down, then something else happened a few days/games later, but what other concussion incidents has he had? I don't recall any.

Reply #558634 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From memory he took a knock to the head last season that caused a bit of concern? It's been a bit of a constant, some minor knocks even seem to cause a bit of concern due to the amount of concussions he's had. He's got the opposite of feet of clay.

Reply #558641 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Road game @ GC Blaze he came down from a rebound contest without his feet under him and hit the back of his head hard on the court

Reply #558661 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'm curious to know why Knight has not considered some sort of head protection. Something similar to what Jonathan Thurston has worn in the NRL.

Reply #558666 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't think they were to everyone's cents of humour.

Reply #558677 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm curious to know why Knight has not considered some sort of head protection. Something similar to what Jonathan Thurston has worn in the NRL.

Up until recently I would have said that his fro wouldn't fit, but he has trimmed it down.
I'm no expert, but I understand that head protection is ineffective against some causes of concussion? It's the sudden deceleration that causes the issue, so unless the helmet is massively thick and soft, the effect of falling on your head is still the same.
That's why the injury to Blanchfield looked so nasty.

I think being able to start Knight and Jawai up front, with Parther and Beal on the wings is working really well for Perth.
Not sure how long Knight can hold down a starting spot, especially with his concussions and injuries?

Reply #571409 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Always loved his game and I disagree that basketball is heading towards smaller more mobile 4's that can hit the 3 pointer. It is heading towards bigger PF's who are mobile and can hit the 3 pointer.

#MattKinight=Warrior

Reply #571464 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:19 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754