Years ago

WNBL Round 4

Fri: SEQ vs Syd
Per vs Ben
Sat: Dan vs Tsv
UCC vs Mel
Sun: Adl vs Ben
Mon: Mel vs Tsv

The champions are on the road! Bendigo also with a road double, whilst the Boomers' back2back sees them host the Fire on a Monday to end what promises to be another terrific round.

And for the Caps Monty's arrived! Off the plane, through the medicals into a uniform and on court... not like there's any pressure.

Two good contests in prospect tonight.

Topic #38342 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEQ vs Syd will be an interesting game.

Bendigo should have their hands full with Perth but I expect them to win with the current form of Kelsey Griffin.

Dandenong vs Townsville, match of the round I'd say and I think Dandy has the ability to steal the win here.

Caps vs Melb, Melb should win this one without any issues.

Adelaide vs Bendigo, Spirit even on the back of a game should take Adelaide out.

Melb vs Townsville, another cracker of a game which could go either way.

Reply #559834 | Report this post

admiral needaa  
Years ago

SEQ
Perth
Dandy
Boomers
spirit
Fire

all with the Ws this weekend

Reply #559862 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Boomers by 50+

Reply #559865 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good looking round of games. The non-Adelaide/Canberra games all could be close contests.

Tonight's odds:

Stars $1.45, Flames $2.63. Margin 4.5 points.
Sydney not without a real chance IMO. I'm tempted.

Lynx $1.62, Spirit $2.21. Margin 2.5 points.
I see this one as a 50/50 contest and only because Perth has home court advantage. I don't see anyone on this Lynx team who can stop Griffin. Tomlinson will have her hands full too and absolutely must stay out of foul trouble tonight. Perth will want to push the tempo and have been good at doing so in the games I've seen.
Looking forward to this one.

Reply #559869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Whitcomb shoots like she did against Dandy Perth can take this one. Tomlinson and Burton need to stay on court against Gabe otherwise she will dominate, Perth have nobody else that can guard her.

Reply #559884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Adelaide will lose!

Reply #559885 | Report this post

admiral needaa  
Years ago

Whitcomb was outstanding last week

Reply #559887 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Did anyone catch Basket Case Episode 4? It was the best episode so far. Some interesting summations and predictions for this round along with good interviews and Helen's always good value. In a sombre and sympathetic discussion of the Caps, Carol comes out with '. . . and a living legend eyeballs the end ...', which I thought was pretty succinct and a bit gut-wrenching actually.

Reply #559934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tried it when it was linked here earlier this season and was too put off by the amateur hour style. She needs to edit out all the excess rambling about irrelevant stuff and laughing to herself. But I'll give it a try if you reckon it has improved.

Reply #559954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basket Case perfect name for a programme about the league which has no TV coverage.

Reply #559957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad isn't it. League is strong but interest is zero.

Reply #559959 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Stars in to $1.35, Flames $3.00 now.
Wonder if someone is out for the Flames, or if it's just a lot of money today for SEQ.

Reply #559968 | Report this post

pilight  
Years ago

it will be a good game

Reply #559971 | Report this post

Jet Jaguar  
Years ago

Any WNBL teams looking for a world class point guard should give Sammy Prahalis a call.

Reply #559972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few late withdrawals to the Flames sees the odds grow.

Reply #559973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jet please go back to Rebkell with you're Sammy P stuff. It's not needed here.

Reply #559976 | Report this post

amominous  
Years ago

I'm reliably informed that 'T' won't be playing for Sydney (HSC) but Cox is 'near enough' to get some minutes. Hard road back for her.

Reply #559977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is T = Tupaea ?

Reply #559978 | Report this post

amominous  
Years ago

oh yes.

Reply #559979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see that Zavecz has retired due to injuries? Montgomery couldn't come at a better time. Any news on Lauren Jackson?

Reply #559997 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Montgomery could have come at a better time - a month ago ;)
Very sad about Zavecz though. Was on her way to becoming a very useful player when the injuries started.

Last I heard from LJ, which was after the recent knee setback, she was still hopeful of returning to action a few weeks from now. I take all LJ health predictions with a bag of pool salt though.

Huge first quarter by the Flames - 32 points - to lead SEQ by 7 at the first break. Alex Wilson enjoying her promotion to the starting lineup.
Go Sydney!

Reply #560004 | Report this post

amominous  
Years ago

Flames getting hammered on the boards

Reply #560017 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well the Flames took SEQ all the way to OT, but looks like 40 minutes was all they had in them. Still a tremendous effort, minus Tupaea and also a head coach from what I hear. I've got a lot of time for what they're doing in Sydney.

Over here, the Lynx played like garbage. Not actually sure how it was still a close game down the stretch - we didn't deserve it to be. I guess Bendigo going 3/19 from outside is largely to thank. The attack mode we had last game was lacking. Lavey & Laney can hold their heads high, the rest not so much.
Entertaining meltdown by coach Pritchard anyway :p
Richards & Griffin were good without dominating us (Lynx actually won the battle of the boards), but for mine it was Kelly Wilson that was the difference. Quality all-round game for the full 40 minutes.

Back to the drawing board for Perth. Sami drew a lot of attention and we failed to capitalise elsewhere.

So my longshot on the Flames fell just short, but I still came out ahead thanks to the Spirit.

Reply #560059 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Montgomery could have come at a better time - a month ago ;)
Very sad about Zavecz though. Was on her way to becoming a very useful player when the injuries started."

Couldn't agree more on both fronts! Zavecz seemed like the ultimate team player, not really fussed by stats just doing whatever her team needed. Also a great interview, a very positive personality who I'm sure will find another challenge without too much fuss.

Reply #560065 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Edmondson shot 1 of 13, Terrible!
There has been some really good and really poor shooting stats this year.

Reply #560070 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

That must have been some game up at Logan. Great for the Stars and their fans to celebrate. Rachel Jarry was amazing, a real captains display. Lots of good numbers and performances for the home team. The rebounding of Ibekwe and Lewis combined was only a few less than the Flames total. With all that extra possession the Stars had, it seems the Flames were kept in it by indifferent outside shooting from SEQ. Both teams failed to ice the game with opportunities late in the 4th.

Reply #560135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait to watch the Capitals vs the Lightning game whenever it comes around. Might end up 18-19 by full time. Man the Capitals are hanging around first half in pretty much all their games (apart from blowout vs Fire) but their 2nd half performances are woeful. Graf might need to go I think.

As for the Fire, nice road win for them as this was their first road game of the season. Will be interesting to see how they go against Melbourne on Monday night.

Reply #560179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Jackson doesn't get in and play some descent games, well then she's probably lost her spot in rio to batkovic who's is killing it atm. Alongside George..

Reply #560186 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

According to Sportsbet, Bendigo are so confident of beating Adelaide that they're sending the Braves over there instead of the Spirit :p
... and the Braves are still at $1.13 to Adelaide's $5.40, with the margin set at 11.5

Saying that it's an understatement that Ruef will have her hands full with Richards & Griffin, is itself an understatement.

Reply #560370 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Adelaide get the win!

Led from start to finish, out-rebounded the Spirit 44-34, got Griffin & Richards fouled out..., Spirit got close but they held on and pushed back to win 76-68.
Ruef & Mitchell got some help this time. No passengers in the starting 5. Great effort.

I thought the Lynx would have a cruisey time next weekend when we visit Adelaide but forget that now.
:(

Reply #560432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo must have partied too hard in perth after their win Friday

Reply #560436 | Report this post

sportsfan  
Years ago

would anyone else look to more help for griffin & Richards would you still keep joy burke

Reply #560437 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She seems like she should be a serviceable backup, but 2 rebounds in 19 min today and 3 in 16 min vs Perth is not the greatest return for someone her height is it.

Reply #560438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you get an import to be a serviceable back up?

Reply #560440 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not usually, no. But not all imports are brought in to be stars either. She was not a college star so I never got the impression that she was brought in to be an impact-type import. (let's face it - it would take someone pretty damn good to kick Richards out of the starting 5 spot)

Reply #560443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully we will see griffin in rio..

Reply #560444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burke has been pretty slack so far, whether her role is a backup for Richards, I don't know.

She's made some basic errors at times, whether that is her not understanding our league yet or not. I'd give her a few weeks and get rid of her, but Bendigo can't afford it now so she'll be around till the end of the year, hopefully steps up asap.

Reply #560502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was at the lightning game and if you think this was an undeserved win you would be wrong. Lightning have obviously nutted out their player capabilities and roles and by the looks of the enthusiasm from the bench the girls are full of team spirit. The move to Wayvilles smaller venue has brought intimacy to the team and a increasing passionate fan base is building and they were loud yesterday. Tracey stuck to a core group and minutes were big for some and they hit the court running. The stats don't reflect the impact of local Tara Robinson who's defence and tap outs proved invaluable and inspirational. Mitchell was full of confidence and Bowen was red hot from the outside and took it to the rack with confidence.. Dombkins made her presence known at every opportunity, read and intercepted passes and disrupted Spirits plays. I don't think Pritchard got off the bench once. In fact you wouldn't even know they had a coach. Their is no spirit and Gabe was too busy bodying out and made some poor choices with slashing bumping and got picked by the ref. She let her team down at the end being fouled out. If she'd kept it clean and had less attitude they may have got the win. Wilson was predictable every time and Lightning had done their homework and their defence on her was outstanding. Snell took a few opportunities but Lightnings defence kelt her on the run. Griffin performed but did not look happy and there was little team spirit and connection and I am thinking it is not a happy place to be.. I would be looking at coaching dynamics. Lightning on the other hand is looking like a highly motivated nothing to lose team with a sense of Girl Power apart from Peter Crawfords presence. Mitchells ability to run the court and disrupt oppositions defence and pull up jumpers is pumping up the team and crowd. Looking forward to Botis writeup this week after a little slamming last week I am sure he is thinking hard about having a little pie when he does.

Reply #560550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You also can't understate Ruef's effort on the glass against Griffin and Richards.

Reply #560557 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Do you get an import to be a serviceable back up?"

If they fill a hole in your roster, yes.

Reply #560566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think Simon Crowden might be a bit left out

Reply #560570 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A rare Monday night game to finish the round
Melbourne Boomers $4.25, Townsville Fire $1.20

This one will be live streamed on YouTube at 7:30pm EDT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQCGkxIs-pk

Reply #560588 | Report this post

sportsfan  
Years ago

i think the odds say it all i dont think this could be close at all

Reply #560590 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah I'm sure the Fire will drop a game or two but I don't see it being this one either.
Melbourne have some nice talent but they're not deep, and more to the point they're really not very big, so I expect them to struggle to contain Suzy & Cayla just as the Rangers did. They'll need to be hitting at a good clip from outside to give themselves any chance.

Reply #560594 | Report this post

fubr  
Years ago

Well sportsfan and Luuuc it would have to be one of the best game I've seen the Boomers play since changing their name from Bulleen to Melbourne. And in front of a crowd.

Reply #560691 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Late work day for me so I didn't get to tune in, and I only just caught the score.
Very impressed.
Not that I didn't think the Boomers had it in them, but if you had told me that Thompson would play just 5 minutes for 1 rebound, they would turn the ball over 19 times, and Suzy would go off for 32 & 12, then I would have wondered just how big the Fire's margin was.

Boomers won the boards 40-27. Super effort!

Reply #560694 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

I bet Garbin is happy with her decision to leave Perth & head to Tville. Another 6 minutes of court time for Garbin last night! She'll go backwards at a rate of knots playing for Lucas. I bet Thompson didn't know that the Boomers were going to recruit Garrick & Kunek before she signed on for another 3 years! Her court time in last night's game back to 5 minutes.

Reply #560732 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Thompson needs to put a bit of effort into defending. Her teammates can only cover for her for so long, and now there are some other options she has to earn her minutes.

Reply #560734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe some players aren't getting minutes ahead of better players.

Reply #560736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Kate Oliver is the one taking thompson's minutes as well

Reply #560737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way Thompson can guard Cayla or Suzie, last night was just a tough match up for her. She'll be back in the 20+ minutes rotation next week I'm sure. Though she has taken steps back since her woeful SEABL season this year (what were they thinking?)

Reply #560740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Credit to Melbourne that place was packed last night. Every bay was full. A couple of thousand there possibly. Compared to Dandenong on Saturday night they wouldn't of had more than 300. Melbourne is killing it. Game was a cracker last night

Reply #560748 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, disappointing about Garbin from a Perth POV.
There are so few west aussies in the WNBL as it is, it's a pity for us home fans when they end up at other teams.
I can understand why she might have wanted to head elsewhere though, if she had aspirations of taking her game to a higher level. Just not sure SEQ was the ideal choice. Maybe she'll do a Burton and head back again anyway.

I'm a Garbin fan and I don't think she was treated correctly by the Waves. At the end of the day I'm happy to see her wherever is best for her, even if that's not here in Perth. I don't know anything about the timing of her decision to move vs. the timing of the new ownership & personnel of the Lynx. If she committed on the assumption that it would just be another year of the Waves again then I don't fault her at all for leaving.

Reply #560749 | Report this post

fubr  
Years ago

Melbourne are working hard off the court. Sponsor engagement is up, fan engagement is up, active social media. Lots of behind the scenes support work.

Would be nice to see BA get their act together and announce their TV deal. Or tell the clubs that it has failed at the only task their had. Where is the TV deal. Also BA try promoting the game the clubs need need active attending fans not shit live streaming.

Reply #560754 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great win by the Melbourne Boomers against Townsville. Suzy was a beast with 32 pts but the Boomwrs had 6 players in double figures. Great team defensive effort plus I think the Boomers won the boards which is always tough to do against Suzy and Cayla. Chris Lucas will be a bit grumpy this week

Reply #560763 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:18 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754