Train
Years ago

Official stood down after Cats v United match

"The Weekend West understands the officials from that match, who waved off a potential foul against Jermaine Beal in the final play of the game, have been temporarily stood down because of their performance"

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/29959657/wildcats-must-bounce-back-to-keep-in-touch/

Topic #38346 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

3 refs, 1 stood down, surely the other 2 could've made the call. How many times do you see the ref out of place make the call. Perth fans will have a field day wit this one though smh.

Reply #560100 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It looks like a bit of an unconfirmed report IMO.
The ref might have made a "bad call" against the Cats but the reality is the bad calls went both ways.

Reply #560102 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

LOL, and people on here saying it wasnt a foul.

These refs were to busy cheer leading with the rest of the crowd.

No doubt they got caught up with the crowd after Holts basket.

Reply #560103 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

And here is the first to react... its sport. Trust me, it feels a lot worse when you FEEL your team got screwed in a final ala Mee and Lowry. Train said it, bad calls both ways, and that is pretty much every game in every sport. Humans make errors, and also get a lot of 50-50 calls correct!

Reply #560104 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The ref got it wrong OK, but the Cats should look at their inability to block out Majok and shooting 21% from downtown.

Reply #560106 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I wouldn't read too much into an unconfirmed report out of WA. "Officials" - as in all of them, over one call?
If it's true, that's a joke. You don't stand refs down over something like that.

Reply #560107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were there any issues with Holt not getting the and 1 on his late game drive?

Reply #560108 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Keep in mind its a "West Australian" news article. Home town bias and reporting is expected and justifiable :P

Reply #560109 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Not sure if it's true or not.. And IMO it wasn't a foul. If that was a foul then the play before hand, Holt should have got an and one.

Reply #560110 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

bout time! not just that game, should be looked at for every game! that's how they will learn!

some games like that decide a coaches job or a teams chance to play finals.

Allen hates Perth with a passion! fact!

Reply #560111 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

what did you want Knight to do? walk away and have a free drive? please

Reply #560112 | Report this post

One report said one ref was stood down over a few bad calls, another report said that all refs were stood down, although they only listed the Beal foul as one example. I don't think we will get the full story from the NBL on this.

The refs didn't cause the Cats to lose but if refs are making lots of errors then I see no issue with them being stood down for a week. Receiving no punishment doesn't make them learn anything.

Reply #560113 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

On the other hand, the Beal call was a correct no-call.

I'm far more interested in the clock.

Reply #560114 | Report this post

Maybe that was another thing, although I didn't see any protests at the time so not sure the refs can discuss a timing issue if they aren't aware of it.

If it is the Beal call, obviously the refereeing crew have decided it wasn't the correct no call.

Reply #560115 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

If there's been the level of debate about that one call, even after everyone has had the benefit of watching replays, then it's obviously not an absolute howler worthy of standing a ref/refs down over.
If a ref has an absolute stinker of a game, making obvious blunders throughout then maybe, but on that call? Not for mine.

Reply #560118 | Report this post

No doubt bad calls happened all game and had no impact on the result but there were a couple more in the final minutes that stood out more to me. The Goulding flop was one, and there was another where Goulding was awarded two FTs when he wasn't in the act of shooting (United weren't in the bonus either). But without any official word from the league, this is all guesswork.

Reply #560119 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Interesting stuff.
I could see an official being stood down for an accumulation of dodgy calls, or for black/white type errors, but surely not for a single interpretation call.
Home court is a valuable thing, and the effect of the crowd on players & refs is a big reason for that. Human nature and all that...

Reply #560120 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I know Jawai looks like he wants to kill you, but too many calls 'cause he's big.

Reply #560121 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Wow.. Are you sure the refs aren't being called into question over the non calls throughout the game? Perth were very physical at times.

Which leads me to the question, why do the referees allow so much contact on the screener in ball screen situations? Pushing the screener so hard that they almost fall over is a foul everywhere else in the world so why isn't it here? I'm sure the Melbourne coach is wondering as well?

Reply #560122 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Do I expect Knight to lay down and let Holt lay it in? What did you expect Majok to just let Beal lay it in? Come on.

I'd say good no call on both plays. Let the men play in the final minutes (within reason).

In saying that - I do believes refs should be under the microscope more when it comes to bad calls and im all for refs being stood down for a game or two etc for consistent bad performances/trends with certain teams.

Reply #560134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's probably like when WWE suspend their talent for a chair shot. Everyone with a brain knows it's scripted except a few of the slower fans.

Reply #560136 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Serious question because I don't know, but do we actually have enough quality refs in Australia to start dropping them for games as disciplinary measures???

Reply #560137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

guess the league head office didn't agree with paul about it being a clear no call hey

Reply #560140 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Notice that the article says the ref/refs was/were stood down, and that they waved off the foul, but never actually says there's a connection.

Reply #560142 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

"It's probably like when WWE suspend their talent for a chair shot. Everyone with a brain knows it's scripted except a few of the slower fans."

Aren't they all...you know...slower.

Reply #560144 | Report this post

tiko  
Years ago

Even blind freddy could see it was a foul

Reply #560164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what happened to an NBL announcement?

Reply #560228 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

lisch might be getting ready to put forward a special game.

Reply #560245 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

And how many uncalled fouls have been committed by Perth in the past against other teams?

Reply #560325 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

fstos hahaha I was thinking that too :P

Reply #560347 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't think a ref gets stood down over one marginal non-call.
One of the anons keeps going on about a ref "celebrating with the cheerleaders" is there any truth to that? The NBL MIGHT think something like that was improper conduct from a ref?

Reply #560633 | Report this post

Who said the ref was celebrating with the cheerleaders?

Reply #560634 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I dunno, I reckon if Melbourne's cheerleaders wanted to celebrate with me, that'd be worth sitting a game or two :D

Reply #560644 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Interesting stuff.
I could see an official being stood down for an accumulation of dodgy calls, or for black/white type errors, but surely not for a single interpretation call."

This.

The call in question has been called both ways in the NBL for a number of years, so it's hardly one that screams incompetence either way. It's more one where the refs boss would send video out saying he wants that called one way or the other.

If a ref has been actually stood down (Chris Clark, Michael Aylen or Chris Reid) we'll see this week when the crews roll out.

Reply #560645 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:19 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754