Anonymous
Years ago

Harrington is done in basketball, here on holiday

Why would sydney bring in a 35 year old import here on holiday and out of shape? He's Childress buddy so the Sydney takes him cause he's played in the nba, you guys have put Childress on a pedastal and he's played 15 games in 2 season, wake up nbl he's playing you. Sydney could've found a guy with energy, scorer, rebounder, a guy that does the little things and trying to keep a job. This signing doesn't make the league look good, taken washed up nba guys.

Just my thoughts.

Topic #38371 | Report this topic

Baller#3  
Years ago

you may see it that way, but the casual NBL fan who has heard of Al Harrington in the NBA is going to be excited about it. Plus how is this any different to the A-league and their loan players?

Reply #560853 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Get in line the out of shape import train behind the 36ers fans and Ebi Ere... but in Harrington's defence and the Kings, he is a short term injury replacement, id be happy with that a quick recovery. I dont think having a broken hand is playing the NBL, 15 games sucks because he has had legit injuries. You sound like your just a down in the dumps Kings supporter and I would be too, you guys were meant to do great things this season imo.

Reply #560855 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

Al will have a breakout game before he leaves, I guarantee it. Right now his J is not falling (has not played a lot recently) and would benefit from a drive and dish type PG (they dont have one).

Once Al hits a few jumpers he will break out, he is a great finisher around the basket and exceptional at getting to the FT line. Al is just shaking off the cobwebs, learning the offence and his role and is getting acclimated to a new team and country. Give him more than 2 games before writing him off.

Reply #560857 | Report this post

you have no idea!!

the interest being generated by both players is invaluable.

his contribution on court was OK given the timeline he has worked to. Have a look at the stats!!!!! Lets see how it pans out

Reply #560858 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Give Harrington another game or two to find some match fitness and adjust to the referees, and I expect he'll make a big impact before he leaves.

Reply #560859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the kings thought they'd struggle to make the finals with Childress missing so much time so they have gone the route to prioritise marketing. Fair call too

Reply #560860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can say all you want about Harrington coming to sydney for a holiday and Childress pretty much a injury prone guy.

The real story is the Kings with julian coming back, a new import and what they thought would be a healthy childress returning for his second season had promised so much but delivered nothing! And based on their lack of passion, poor efforts on defense, no chemistry so far, it will go from bad to worst for the remainder of the season battling with the Crocs for the wooden spoon.

As a kings fan i'm devastated by the lack of direction from cotter. He clearly is way out of his depth coaching in the nbl!

Kings management need to clean house at the end season starting with cotter if he last another 2 weeks then
sack thornton, hill, carter, garlepp, prewster and childress if his body continue to fall apart.

Very Frustrated Kings fan

Reply #560864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about we do a trade, we get Harrington and you can have Ebi.

Reply #560866 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Joey wouldnt go for that, unless they are atleast facebook friends and is prepared to put some weight on.... fml

Reply #560867 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Unfortunately it doesn't really generate too much interest, not in Sydney anyway, where crowds were higher with Patrick Sanders and Trey Gilder as imports than with Sam Young, Josh Childress or Al Harrington.

Still, why not bring him in as an injury replacement at short notice? He's better than United's local import replacement option. If he finds some fitness and form he might help the Kings win a game or two.

Reply #560869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this #blowout guy again?

Reply #560871 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I have always wondered why Sydney, a city of over 4 million cant pull a decent crowd. Anyone know why?

Reply #560875 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

The crowds when Sydney return with those imports mentioned above were regularly around 6k-7k. There was celebrities at every game. The crowds look terrible now

Reply #560877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the Sydney ownership and front office is a complete joke. No leadership, no vision, no apparent plan. The franchise is mired in mediocrity. No one in Sydney other than the diehards, and there's fewer of them every year, gives a crap about the Kings anymore. The crowds have been an absolute disgrace and it doesn't seem like it's going to change anytime soon.

For all the good that's happened in the NBL this season, the Sydney Kings are a massive issue that Larry K needs to get on top of in a hurry. You can't have the biggest city in the country, the corporate and media capital, with it's sole NBL team struggling so much, particularly off the floor. An injection of professionalism is sorely required.

Reply #560887 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Must be a sobering experience for these ex-NBA guys (Harrington, Warrick, etc) to come here and not comfortably crack a starting five. The guys ahead of them are just too keen to play and succeed, so have the urgency that will win loose balls and rack up points.

Harrington looks pretty out of shape. Glad he's a potential drawcard name for the league, but also glad he's playing for another team.

Reply #560889 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Weather is too good in Sydney and there must be too much else to do, even the NRL has struggled to maintain big crowds.

Reply #560890 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Warrick would be OK with what's going on, he would know he's going to be an important part of a championship drive. He's played OS before, he knows what it's all about.

Reply #560895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harringtons averages for the most part are better than Ere's...more points at a better clip & in less mins.

Reply #560898 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Let's not forget that Harrington landed in Sydney on Thursday morning after a flight from the US and then had to play 2 games in 3 days starting the next day.

His fitness is not where it should be, but after a fortnight of training, getting to know his team and 3 or 4 matches under his belt I expect him to make a serious impact.

"Out of shape" can change quickly. I’m surprised by people’s negativity around Harrington after just 2 games.

Reply #560899 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Actually, Harrington had to do a whole heap of media interviews and then played 2 games in less than 48 hours. We can't expect everyone to do a Randle - land and then dominate straight away.

Reply #560900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Harrington thing screams of desperation rather than being made for the right reasons which is winning games!!

People mention A-League but they worked out quickly that the gimmick big names only work if they can perform as the novelty wears thin quickly if they are on a paid holiday!

The A-League realised quickly it was about quality product and smart marketing of the local star players. This Harrington pick up is a poor one as by the time he is really ready to start showing more he'll be done and back on a plane!

Reply #560902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV - "Out of shape" can change quickly. I'm surprised by people’s negativity around Harrington after just 2 games.

Can you please advise how quickly this can change so I can let 36ers fans know when Ebi might gain a step?

Reply #560905 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Absolutely spot on Anonymous #560887

The crowds were great for the Kings return season because the 0.002% of Sydney's population who give a rats about the NBL were happy to have any team to support. That novelty has been steadily diminishing ever since & Kings management have done nothing to retain fans let alone create new ones. A lot of traditional Kings fans still think this new Kings is really just a re-badged Razorbacks & the management does seem to be following exactly the same path to oblivion.

Reply #560907 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ebi just looks a bit older and a step slower to me.

Harrington looks unfit and out of match condition. Those are two different things.

But- I predict that we haven't yet seen the best of either of them. Both will improve on what they’ve done so far. Especially Harrington.

Reply #560909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Harrington looks unfit and out of match condition. Those are two different things."

Harrington said he had been sitting on the couch for three months when the call came through so understandable he's out of shape.

Reply #560912 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Really? I didn't realise that.

Homicide Williams claimed he knew Harrington, and that Harrington had been training so I expected Harrington to be in shape before he took the court and it became apparent that he wasn’t.

If he really *had* been doing nothing for the past few months or since retiring in March then this is great news for Kings fans. It means he should have a steep fitness improvement over the first few weeks, and that sharp increase in fitness should correlate to better performances with every single game.

Reply #560913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV and a bit heavier and out of shape...even Joey has admitted that he rocked up out of shape. He's had the whole pre-season and season thus far and hasn't improved 1 bit.

Ebi might get into some sort of shape come Finals but by then it will likely be too late. The 36ers are not a Finals team with Ebi as is.

Reply #560914 | Report this post

"Homicide Williams claimed he knew Harrington, and that Harrington had been training "

He probably predicted and guaranteed he'd be training.

Reply #560915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi ain't getting in shape based in his current diet....calls into the local take out at least twice a week after trainings

Reply #560916 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

You basically got an injury replacement for free and Al hasn't been the worst player on the court at any time.

What's the problem?

Reply #560918 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Harrington might have been training but it clearly wasn't anywhere near the intensity an NBL club trains at, either that or he celebrated each session with a banquet! Fair enough too, he was retired.

It will be tough this week too, Melbourne and Adelaide both play high-speed ball.

Reply #560919 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well at the end of the day, Harrington is in shape.

Round is a shape.

Reply #560921 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A circle is a shape, I should say. Harrington is looking quite circular.

Reply #560922 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yes I'm sure Ebi will be in peak playing condition come finals time. So he will be super ripped and cardio ready to watch on fox... delusional to think he is a good fit for what the 36ers need to get over the hump.

Poor Harrington, at peak fitness he would most probably be a beats, big boy, but looks slow but he seems annoyed at every bad call, so he is def keen to perform based on that. Sam Young never had that passion. Hopefully with some settling into Sydney and the kings version of a basketball system he will produce.

Reply #560933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He hasnt even been in Aus for a week! Jesus christ.

NBL should be worried about the Crocs and their piss weak crowd number of 500 ppl last week. Lowest attended NBL game ever?

Reply #560938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give me Harrington over Ere

Reply #560940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV,

Here is an article on how close Harrington came to not playing on Friday night due to the late arrival of his clearance from China, courtesy of his buddy Stephon Marbury and in the interview he mentions having been sitting on the couch for the last 3 months.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/how-al-harringtons-nbl-debut-with-the-sydney-kings-came-down-to-one-person-stephon-marbury/story-fnug4sup-1227589084939

Reply #560943 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cheers anon

Reply #560944 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Leon Trimmingham available?

Reply #560950 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Nope, Leon is on a yacht in the Caspian Sea with Iverson and Rodney O....

Reply #560952 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Those were good days for Sydney.. Keogh, Trimmingham, Uthoff, McClain, etc

Reply #560953 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Lowest attended NBL game ever?"

Not even close. It wasn't so long ago the Breakers played some games in front of a couple of hundred people, with most of them reportedly on free tickets!

Reply #560960 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I love basketball and go to Kings games regularly. When I take friends who don't follow basketball their main issue is with the cost of beers and the fact that the place is full of kids.

The main thing that annoys me at Kings game is if you shout something to the ref or an opposition player about 5 people in front of you turn around as if to say "cheering is weird".

Reply #561060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul

That's not true. A couple thousand maybe. Not a couple hundred

Reply #561591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's Sydney for you curtley.everyone is too cool for school. Melbourne over Sydney any day

Reply #561655 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754