Anonymous
Years ago

Marvin comments in The West: Gleeson on notice?

Great to see marvins comments in today's west. Basically set the record straight that the cats shouldn't be worried about retribution and should be more concerned at losing twice to a weak team.

Basically stopping gleesons distraction game in its tracks by saying don't make this about conklin make this about results.
Another loss tonight and gleesons seat will be feeling very warm.

Topic #38395 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Sounds reasonable. Best revenge is going to be a win.

Going only by his public persona, I'm guessing Jawai wouldn't really like being put forward as an enforcer? Seems to like being master of his own identity in avoiding "Outback Shaq", etc.

Reply #561827 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think Gleeson was just seeing red mist when he made those comments. Which isn't too surprising, when you realise your captain doesn't just have a bust lip but a full-blown broken jaw that means his teeth aren't even on the same level as each other you get a little irrational.

I doubt Jawai will be doing anything stupid.

Reply #561830 | Report this post

And its been handled internally so that pretty much ends that matter. All the Mrs Lovejoy's thinking of the children can calm down a bit now.

Reply #561832 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Gaze "demands" six weeks...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/30013383/nbl-damien-martin-elbow-gaze-demands-six-weeks-for-conklin/

Reply #561833 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Privately Gaze was reported as saying they should have just wrapped Martin up like a mummy and got him back on the court.

Reply #561837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mrs lovejoys, such a tool.

Reply #561855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze has made some really crazy comments in the past few years!

Reply #561858 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Does anyone have a link to the Marvin story? I can't find it online anywhere...

Reply #561859 | Report this post

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/30015373/hostile-arena-awaits-crocs/

His comments are right at the end of this article.

Reply #561871 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cheers. Well said by Marvin.

Reply #561879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleason out Nielsen in at end of the season. Marvin just warming the people up for it, wont be a huge surprise.

Reply #561880 | Report this post

While I'm sure that Gleeson won't be back, I don't see much in the comments that talk about his job being on the line.

Reply #561882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supernintendo, Marvin has basically come out and ' cancelled ' gleesons comments then called out the fact they've had two losses he believes they shouldn't have. When your boss speaks the opposite to strong statements you've made them points at unsatisfactory results you better believe that's put you on the spot.

Reply #561889 | Report this post

Yep, thats fair enough.

Reply #561890 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

Well done Nick Marvin!

Reply #561892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

' we need to show leadership and discipline and not seek retribution ' in another words Gleeson showed poor leadership with his post match comments. Well said nick

Reply #561902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordie McLeod to perth next season would make Hawks v wildcats game real interesting should bevo as expected stays.

Reply #562100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordie has morals. Won't happen.

Reply #562101 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^
Since when? Has anyone told him he as these alleged morals? ;)

Reply #562106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when did Marvin make a public comment in recent times.

Reply #562114 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Great, just what the board needs, yet another Gleeson bashing thread...
Where exactly are these comments "putting Gleeson on notice" Or in fact even contradicting him or mentioning him in any way?

Do people not understand that there are essentially two types of "comment." Those you make deliberately, eg by issuing a statement (which Marvin has NOT done) and those you make in response to a media question, asked because people are interested.
Seriously, what did you really expect Marvin to say? "When Conklin comes to Perth we're going to bash him"???

This whole thing about Gleeson's comments have been a complete storm in a teacup.
This is Professional Basketball, In Australia, in the 21st century. What did people think was going to happen? If anyone was expecting anything more than a tough, regulation game of basketball, between two professional teams, then you're nuts.

What annoys me is that sports now insist on press conferences immediately following games, then people get sanctimonious when somebody still g'd up on adrenalin and emotion makes some un-pc comments.

Reply #562126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson's comments may have been emotional but Marvin's I felt were pointed and calculated. He could very easily have offered a "no comment" but made a statement about what this club stands for (results on the court) when the club could easily have been led astray and remained ruffled over the incident (which was clearly the way Gleeson was behaving). I think Marvin's comments were timely and effective.

Reply #562128 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754