Anonymous
Years ago

Just let them play !

Does anyone think that it has become too much about the coaches from Juniors to NBL to NBA in Mens Basketball. Coaches plans that continue being implemented against a team or group of players that it clearly isn't working because the opposition is simply not doing what the coach thinks they will do or have the team they had in mind on when he or she wrote up the play. In the office it is called micro managing and at home its helicopter parents. Do coaches need a voice from the crowd away from the bench to see the big picture away from the sit down view and emotions of the bench. Seeing losses that just don't sit well and frustrations seen on players faces who just look hog tied and their own court IQ and team mate relationships just not able to grow through play. Just as children learn and connect, so do adults. Is it time for coaches to sometimes just put away the boards during a game and let the players work it out and say 'Hey' you guys are the ones out there feeling it, show me what you can do and maybe I can learn something. And is it a better team building exercise to say I respect your decisions on court players and I choose not to patronise you and assume you can not play without me, me the coach. Coaches should be the bumpers on the bowling lane not the remote control of the toy robot. Thoughts anyone ?

Topic #38404 | Report this topic

Years ago

you answered your own question - player satisfaction in the end is what will keep them going

Reply #562162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before any further posts I want to know if the OP is a coach, has ever coached or are you just a disgruntled and confused parent who wants to move teams but instead decided to post this drivel?

Reply #562165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And when that doesn't work, what's plan C?

Reply #562170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach and parent like most coaches. Basketball player as well and just simply asking a question. I guess its coaches who have responded and obviously not willing to have a think and assuming it is an annoying parent again. Thats an issue in itself. Just looking for thoughts and conversation on do coaches sometimes take it too far. Looking to learn not cause an antiparent thread again.

Reply #562190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plan C is to try plan a if that doesn't work go to b and then review a and b and then get to work on finding a solution.

Reply #562192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you were looking for discussion perhaps the tone of your initial post could have been a little less derogatory and belittling of coaches

There are plenty of coaches who don't have a plan A. There are plenty who have a plan A and that's it. Their players have to fit in with their plan and they can't adapt on the fly. Those coaches generally aren't too successful.

In any decent level of basketball there has to be some form of structure for a team to be good and win regularly. You also have to be able to adapt. When I'm coaching against you my players are doing everything they can to make your players MAKE plays, not RUN plays.

With any structure the players also have to have the freedom and confidence to play what's in front of them and make plays. The way I like to coach is to break the shoot clock up into sections. The first 8 seconds belong to the players. Run, push the ball, look for an easy one or an open 3 in transition (of course they also have to have the discipline to understand the game situation and if pushing isn't appropriate at that time). The next 8 seconds we share. We have plays that they like and fit our personnel and get us good shots with rebounders in position. The last 8 seconds are mine and we run very structured plays to get the shot we want with the shot clock running out

Then there's the days where none of that works......

Reply #562213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't want my post to be seen as coach bashing as my kid has had some good coaches over the years.

However, my kid played in several winning National Championship underage teams, played in several winning VC Championship teams including VJBL Classic & Eltham Dandenong tournaments, played in Australian Junior teams and OVERWHELMINGLY IMHO, the majority of coaches my kid has played for try to control their players too much.

That's been my kid's experience and my observations. At times my kid has even said "Dad, the coach won't let me play".

There's also the issue of coaches having and playing favorites. Not that my kid really suffered with that, but it goes on too much and there should be no place for it, except at the State level and above.

There's been many kids who make a lot of state junior teams but go nowhere and there's been many kids that don't make state junior teams but go onto College, NBL, etc.

Coaches, please be honest with yourselves, how many of your plays do your team score from? Or do you score more from your team's ability to read and react or some individual creativeness or brilliance?

Reply #562500 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

OP, your fortune to have a highly talented kid comes with the misfortune to mostly have to deal with the career coaches. I have coached VJBL teams for many years and most coaches are wonderful, have the right balance of running the team and giving the players freedom to create and be versatile. It is mostly split on the lines of firsts coaches versus the rest, especially at the bigger clubs. I have seen (and had run ins) with firsts coaches who more or less see the players as the means to the end (the end being to win a championship). They forget that no matter what level, the enjoyment of the players is the primary driver. Many of the parents of firsts players at the bigger clubs forget that too - quite feral in a lot of cases. The kinds of coaches I am describing cannot let the kids play, they feel they must be "doing something" as a coach all the time, because they are worried about the perception of themselves. It comes with the territory unfortunately; if your kid hates it, get him/her to be put into the seconds or go to one of the smaller clubs would be my advice.

Reply #563835 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Coach without the fear of losing.
Coach with the confidence your players will exude.
Coach to enjoy the experience and learn from your mistakes.
Coach to teach and lead by example.
Coach without unrealistic expectation.
Coach with fairness and be impartial.
Coach with integrity and stay true to yourself.

Listen as well as you hear and never say anything you wouldn't want repeated in public, and you will be just fine...

Reply #563880 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, and most important of all, just let them play!

:)

Reply #563881 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754