Blowout Troll
Years ago

Damien Cotter's future as Kings coach

Is that the most incompetent decision you have ever seen from a coach?

The 36ers get 2 Fts...why did he call a time out BEFORE the FTs denying the chance to advance the ball had he called the timeout AFTER?

I have never seen anything like that before.

He will be sacked after this game.

Topic #38413 | Report this topic

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

This whole game is Cotter's fault. Any replacement tips?

Reply #562365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter was terrible and was totally responsible for the loss!

Sack him straight away and bring in Gordie from Cairns if possible.

Reply #562369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a kings season ticket holder for the last ten years i'm F%$King EMBARRASSED!!

The kings management better SACK COTTER or my family and I are ripping our tickets to shreds!!

THAT WAS AN ABSOLUTE EMBARRASSMENT!!!

Reply #562372 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cotter thought he had another timeout, by the sound of things.

Reply #562373 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Why would u call a timeout before the free throws? Obviously thought he had one more left.

Reply #562375 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Even if he did have 2 left, why on earth would you call it BEFORE? Makes absolutely ZERO SENSE...

Reply #562380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To make Randle think about his shots for an extra minute perhaps?

Reply #562381 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

You call one to ice the shooter and get them thinking.

It's a good strategy if you have a Timeout left for after.

Reply #562384 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

No, its not...Randle is at home...if on the road, i could understand.

Besides, even if you have 2 left, you SAVE THEM.

You get the ball down 1 at worst, ball at half court, go for a shot, it misses foul again and you get another time out with the chance to get the ball at half court with 1-2 secs left..

Brainless twit

Reply #562387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings should of never lost the game. Period!!

Reply #562388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you are under the pump like Cotter is at the moment, with a very inexperience coaching staff and no floor leader, you have no one to consult with and therefore he made the worst decision by a coach this season.

Reply #562394 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

The Powerhouse/Dome/Arena scoreboard claims another victim

Reply #562395 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

It is a sound strategy, even if you don't agree with it.

Reply #562396 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cotter believed he had another timeout for one reason or another. Will be interested to hear why that was...

Reply #562399 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

LOL, sound strategy?

Taking the timeout because a pro that is a fringe NBA player and has been playing for years might think too much about a FT?

Reply #562400 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Yes it is, the Pro player is not 100% accurate so doing something to mess with their rhythm is a good strategy.

Same thing has been done in HS, NCAA, NBA, Olympics, World Champs.

But of course you're the only one who's right.

Reply #562401 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

How did his strategy work out?

Reply #562403 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Does not detract from the fact it was a sound thing to do.

Reply #562407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not looking good Mr Cotter

Reply #562409 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree it was the correct thing to do to put off Randle IF they had another time out. Futhermore, if Randle did miss the second one you can't call time out on the court so he can give them instructions on what to do in that situation.

Reply #562410 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You kings supporters are brainless twits. Understand the game and understand coaching. Asst coaches should be on top of timeouts!!

Cotter can't make free throws for the team.

Pathetic ignoramuses whom always blame the coach.

Cotter can coach!! Melb United have overs on salary cap. Players need to accept responsibility. For fuck sake wake up and get off Damian's back.

Reply #562411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I notice Markovic isn't on the team list for tonight.
He was meant to be a key signing for the kings.

Has he gone walk about?

Reply #562413 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Think the problems go beyond Cotter. If he doesn't get to pick his team like all the other coaches why doesn't he like management?

Succeeded at SEABL and Under 19 National team but NBL is different obviously.

Gave him a pass last year given what he had to work with and injuries.

The question is if you fire him who replaces him? Sydney have a similar feel this year to Heal his second year.

Also what is up with Markovic at the moment?

Reply #562415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress to be appointed player/coach?

Reply #562419 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Markovic was tweeting encouragement to the team during the game, doubt he would do that if he has gone walkabout.

Reply #562420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress could interim coach while they sign a real coach but it would be suicidal for him to carry that responsibility once he is back playing

Reply #562422 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Missed free throws was the biggest influence in the loss. Can't pin that on the coach.

Reply #562423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Markovic has been struggling off and on with the flu over the past week.

Reply #562424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly not a great coach for NBL standards. Wins and losses determine the fate of any coach at the end of the day.

Maybe back to the drawing board with junior basketball would be the best for everyone.

Reply #562426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cotter is a deck chair and the kings are the titanic. after xmas their home games are being played in a wasteland and there won't be any fans there to care who is coaching.

Reply #562428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaching replacements for Cotter;

Brian Goorjian
Gordie McClode
Mike Kelly
Ben Knight
Matt Neilson
Darryl Mc Donald
Chris Anstey
Bruce Bolden
Bill Tomlison
Kevin Brooks
Jamie Pearman

Reply #562429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I meant by Childress is that if that is what it takes to get him back next season would Kings fans be happy with him as player/coach?

Reply #562432 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

What is Mick Downer doing these days? He left the Taipans in the off-season to 'spread his wings'

Reply #562434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mclode
Pearman
Neilson
Mc Donald
Tomlison

Anstey hilarious

Can you even read,let alone spell

Reply #562442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does Childress bring to the Kings as a coach? Has he ever coached.?
Cotter is farked. Who is the serious alternative other than the numpty list already posted.

Reply #562443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bill Tomlinson OMG LOLOLOL there's a (terrible) blast from the past

Reply #562444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress as a coach is a terrible idea if his interactions with the officials tonight were any indication of his temperament.

Reply #562446 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Assistant Coach should have been on top of the timeout situation, its his job. Chilldress a couple of times during the game went up to the assistant coach to tell him stuff he knew he has missed and should have been on top of.

Missing 15 out of 31 free throws was the major loss factor but not the only one.

Team was not prepared for the last quarter full court man on press. Cotter will accept blame for that i am sure. But Management must accept the buck stops with them. They have hired too many square pegs for round holes.

Reply #562454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty Clarke?

Reply #562459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HIRE MARTY

Reply #562465 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I think there's something more going on with Marcovic. Anyone know?

Reply #562466 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Alan Black

Reply #562467 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Last season with the Crocs I heard his problems weren't (entirely) with the hamstring. For his sake I won't disclose but apparently the issue wasn't just physical. Haven't kept tabs on the Kings much this year -- and less on Markovic himself -- but I hope it's not the same thing

Reply #562468 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

When Childress is in casuals its always going to be tough to win no matter how good you play for 3 quarters. If they had this record and the equilavent of lbj was in id say gotta go. No one could do better job with current situation.

Reply #562476 | Report this post

Cotters mistake with the TO didnt lose the game.

The team shot 50% from Free Throws.
The team missed chances of "easy" baskets in the last quarter. ( the easiest Garlepp not converting )
The team did not handle the PRESS, maybe a portion of the blame for that can be put on Cotter?
All the 50/50 calls in the last quarter went against the Kings.

Something must have been going right to be up 25pts, with many thinking the game is "in the bag"

Reply #562479 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

You kings supporters are brainless twits.

https://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/en/grammar

Reply #562484 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Would be interested to know how many people commenting on here have actually coached. Let's say at an NBL, seabl, state, or rep level?

In hindsight it is easy to make comment.

A timeout before is a sound decision as stated above.

One it could get in head of shooter.

But more importantly he would have been talking thru scenarios and wanted was needed should the player miss one or both, or make both.

Ideally he could have done this after the free throws but if Randle misses the second the ball is live.

Obviously some issues at Sydney but cotter isn't the biggest problem.

Reply #562487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If randle misses the game is probably a draw. I was surprised he took the time out when he did too last night.

Reply #562488 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

At that level you should have a play to run of the missed free throw without needing to call timeout. Same as a side ball or endline. ATO calls need only be counters or different plays.

With the ability to tell the point guard and have them tell the team you shouldn't need a timeout to organise as that should already be managed at practice.

Reply #562489 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The team has been without their star all season, they've introduced, what, 6 or 7 new players? Thornton has only just started to find his feet and Harrington has come in overweight and out of retirement, Markovic has clearly lost something, Garlepp has been MIA. I would let Cotter see the season out.

Kings also struggling with stuff off the court. They have taken down the Entertainment Centre's parking area before taking down the Entertainment Centre itself! You have to pay close to $50 for parking in the closest parking station, clearly effecting the crowd numbers this season.

Personally the faster they get out of there, the better.

The only good things about the season so far has been Khazzouh and Cadee's improvement.

Reply #562490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, calling timeout before a crucial kick in gridiron is a common strategy... Which almost never works. And is not done at the expense of being able to advance the ball. I didn't watch the game but if true that's laughable stuff

Reply #562492 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

https://www.change.org/p/sydney-kings-fans-get-sydney-kings-head-coach-damian-cotter-sacked?recruiter=408367819&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

Just found this lol

Reply #562513 | Report this post

If any of you coached or played for a good coach over your lives, which not many seem to have.

Cotter made a great and bold move. Some times it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Last night. It didn't.

If I were the free throw shooter, down by 1 with 6 seconds left, Id rather shoot my shots in the flow of the game and not have to go huddle and then come back out and shoot, a minute or so after I was fouled and in rhythm

Reply #562520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst Cotters TO before the FT's might be sound strategy, I think it only works dependant on who is at the line. You have to know the players you are playing against - Randle is ice and was never going to miss those FT's.

Reply #562522 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Cotters been a disaster .. Yes, this is just one game, but he's had two seasons now and has never been able to get the team to gell .. He also fails to react or doesn't seem to know what to do when things start going against the Kings. There was a game last year where the Kings were up by about 14 early in the last quarter and ended up losing, he didn't call a time out for the whole qtr .. Presumably he was just "hoping" things would get better .. The cameras in the timeouts show that the team doesn't really listen to him anyway ..

Time to get a new coach and start winning some games !

Reply #562523 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not sold on Cotter, but to say he's a disaster is wrong. Wen he has had Childress in the lineup the Kings have been a decent team. Without him they haven't. I don't like what he's doing defensively, but he's battling against the odds without the league's best player.

Reply #562525 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you need the league's best player in order to be 'a decent team', you're probably not that good a coach.

Reply #562529 | Report this post

Agent Oso  
Years ago

Did anyone actually watch the first half? Pretty sure the team was gelling then!

The coach only has so many timeouts to use. So if he used more during the quarter to try and calm his team down hed be crucified for wasting them and not having one left to set up a play.

Save them for that possibility and hes crucified for not calling time out to try and break the run.

Is he the greatest coach ever? No of course not, hes made mistakes and is clearly still learning how to manage the team both with regards to tactics and managing egos. Seeing as Childress was happy to return this season, knowing Cotter was coaching probably indicates he has at least some faith in the direction Cotter is trying to take the team

Fact remains, Kings kit 40% of their free throws in the last 1/4 they win, and everyone would be saying Joey was a shit coach. Instead the Kings players buckle under a bit of pressure and their coach is supposedly 100% to blame.

Reply #562530 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Even if the Kings hit 100% of their free-throws in that last quarter, they gave up a 24-point lead to win by five.

Reply #562533 | Report this post

Menu Best Sellers  
Years ago

A name that hasn't come up but might be worth a call by the kings. I saw liam Flyn at the game last night at the Dome. Experienced NBL assistant - 36ers and Crocs? Coached overseas the past few years. Is he back here for good now?

Reply #562534 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"If you need the league's best player in order to be 'a decent team', you're probably not that good a coach."

It's obvious to most that when you sign the league's best player it impacts what else you have to spend. When you lose that big a chunk of your roster due to injury it has a big impact on the talent you have on the floor.

Reply #562535 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, like that talentless hack they've got playing centre.

This team, on paper, should be better than the wooden spoon.

Reply #562536 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

No Childress, no whatever team he would playing for, he is simply that important in every area of the game. I dont know enough about Cotters situation, but to say all the issues in Sydney are on him purely is a bit over the top. As a fan of the Kings no matter what I would've come to understand shit was gonna suck when Childress broke that hand.

Bit different if the Kings were full strength, then thats definitely on the coach with these results, but they are no where near good overall without Childress.

Reply #562538 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Khazzouh is a talented offensive player but probably the worst pick and roll defender in the competition. That has a massive impact on everything the coach can do defensively.

With Childress this team is a playoff contender talent wise, but not championship level, without him they are a bottom two team.

Reply #562541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick Downer would also be a good option if Kings decide to replace Cotter

Reply #562544 | Report this post

Menu Best Sellers  
Years ago

How many GAMES has Downer coached in the last 5 years. As a Head Coach? Made subs, called timeouts at the right spots (unlike DC), played the right 5 guys? Get someone who has actually made the moves.

Reply #562549 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

You have to look at what Phil Jackson used to do in these type of situations.

He OFTEN ONLY called a timeout BETWEEN Fts...

So if the player made the first, he would call a timeout between to get the shooter out of rythm.

Still, i dont think any coach would bloody take a timeout BEFORE the FTs with 5 secs left.

Reply #562551 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If he had two time-outs left I can understand it, one for a play if the second FT misses, the second to advance the ball if the second is made. Getting the number of time-outs wrong is very poor though.

Reply #562552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about focusing on how Cotter coached earlier in the game when they let go a 20 point lead?

That is way more concerning compared to whatever happened in the last minute to the game.

It shouldn't have even gotten to that stage! Protecting an away lead such as that one must end in a W.

Reply #562553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Khazzouh such a poor pick and roll defender? Is it his mobility? I wouldn't have thought so. Perhaps this is where good coaching could come in. The Kings as a whole seem apathetic to defensive details and that speaks loudly of what the coach accepts.

Reply #562562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iregardless of the Cotter issue with the move to Homebush, there will be fewer people going and just as many chances of the same few wins. Another shit Kings season coming up.

Reply #562570 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon, do you seriously expect Cotter to have fixed Khazzouh's significant, career-long defensive issues in just a few months?

Reply #562584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I sure that the anon coach how maybe coaches z grade numpties could do that immediately.

Reply #562585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Even if the Kings hit 100% of their free-throws in that last quarter, they gave up a 24-point lead to win by five."

Totally irrelevant. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with a 5 point win in a road game against a superior opponent. Does it really matter in which order the baskets are scored? Not to me as long as my team ends up with the most points.
It was refs getting caught up in the comeback just as much as the shocking free throw shooting that was to blame. Disgraceful display of homeriffic refereeing.

Reply #562595 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Serious question for you, Paul:

What is it about the Kings' defense you don't like? I've only watched their round 1 game this season, so I don't know what they're doing differently compared to other teams.

Reply #562677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't at the game and interesting to hear from the armchair experts, how much time was on the clock with the free throws/timeout?
And also correct me if I'm wrong but if a timeout is called the ball MUST be advanced up the court.
As suggested already, if the 2nd shot misses then the kings have no set plan. Perfect example today with the Melbourne/Breakers game, miss the last foul shot on purpose, no hope of getting shot off. And could tell New Zealand didn't expect that to happen although there was on a second to go.
I know in certain situations where if there's enough time on the clock it's advantageous to get the ball in the backcourt and push it up against defenders back pedaling and not having their defence set up in the final timeout. Best example was this week's Okc vs Orlando game, the magic his a 3 in final seconds to look like they've won it, Westbrook gets the inbound pass and ties it up with a miracle shot. Don't know if they had a timeout left but was a great example of taking advantage of the opponent not being set defensively.
Players were to blame, not Cotter. They're professionals and should make foul shots and handle extended pressure. Easiest target is the coach, those who think they can do a better job why don't you call the Kings tomorrow and ask for his job. If kings had held on the topic would all be about how Joey stuffed up and how he's made a mistake picking up Ere.

Reply #562694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Cotter's sacking is imminent according to Boti's latest blog post.

Reply #562733 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He just got the public support of the board, so there's only one thing left, sadly.

Reply #562743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone atthefoulnet says Sydney awarded one of Adelaide time outs in error.

Reply #562744 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, reports are Cotter was right and the scorebench was wrong.

Reply #562748 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Totally irrelevant. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with a 5 point win in a road game against a superior opponent.
There is if you were up 24.

Reply #562752 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Obviously 'support of the board' = 'you're fired', but why that choice of words exactly?

Reply #562758 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with beating a good team, no matter how much you were up and how much you win by, basketball is not a linear sport.

Reply #562777 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That might be true, but giving up a 24-point lead is generally a sign of some level of incompetence somewhere. You can't just brush it off because you won anyway.

Reply #562779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was certainly an indication of incompetence somewhere last night, with "somewhere" not being limited to just one group!!

Reply #562783 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If one team can get up a big margin a similarly talented team can make a comeback, especially at home. While there are negatives in allowing the run, there are positives in steadying and claiming the win. Of course, that didnt happen last night.

Reply #562784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might still be a positive for the Kings. Addition by subtraction once Cotter is replaced with a real coach. Might have been delayed if the Kings had hung on for a win.

Reply #562785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who will be the real coach. No point talking smack if you cant name the supposed incumbent.

Reply #562805 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

I do recall Mike Krzyzewski having some losing seasons before he turned things around at Duke..
I understand its a professional team, and winning is desirable, and that Damian Cotter is not Coach K, but there is a process, and sometimes you need to have a little faith in in the process.
They're missing arguably the best player in the league, and seem to have replaced him with an out of shape retiree. Losing sucks, but firing the head coach isn't always the solution.

Reply #562889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti tipping in today's Advertiser that Cotter will be sacked today.

Reply #562904 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sydney Kings chairman Phil Hudson has backed besieged coach Damian Cotter as speculation increases about his future following the team's 2-7 start to the NBL season.

It is understood management recently told Cotter his job was on the line and he needed to win more games to remain at the helm.
Isn't the eternal joke that having the support of the board means you're about a week off being sacked?

Reply #562931 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cotter can coach!!

Sydney Kings management need to let him select his team.

Sydney fans are fickle!

Give Damo a chance - 2 year contract and to choose his players and support staff.

Then and only then do you twats have the right to judge. In the meantime STFU!!

Reply #563024 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

"Sydney fans are fickle! Give Damo a chance - 2 year contract and to choose his players and support staff."

Are you kidding? Another 2 years?

What is his record so far? 12 Wins, 27 Losses something like that. Only Sydney can make history like this. And don't blame it on Childress being out. Other teams have superstars sitting out as well. Hawks are playing with 1 import and half of last year's Sydney team.

That time out was the joke of the round, may be of all time.

Reply #563043 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Bob Turner

Reply #563044 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Phil Jackson or Greg Poppovich

Reply #563049 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

Samuel L Jackson as Coach Carter

Reply #563052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Losing this year has little to do with Cotter, and its not really managements fault either

When they assembled the team many were excited, and they were expecting to have Thornton, Childress, Khzzouh all averaging around 20 points a game and playing at MVP level. This hasnt happened, Thornton has taken time to adjust, he may get there though, and Childress has only played 1 game, all beit at a very high level.

As they spent the bulk of the money on these 3 guys they just got some solid aussies to round out the roster,

A bit of the reverse to the 36ers who spent the bulk of there money on Aussies and a deep roster and less on imports and as a result dont have a ' big 3'.

You can go either way and cant say the kings were really wrong, once they get Childress back and hopefully Thornton continues his improved form they will be a decent team. I guess they took the risk on Thorntons youth and Childress's injuries, but many thought they would be an elite combo, so cant totally blame management or coaching for that not quite working out, it still may but it will be too little too late for this season.

Last year the kings won 50% of the games Childress played, had he played the full season they would have been decent and in the playoff mix,

so a bit harsh to judge Cotter too harshly on wins and losses

I also have no problem with management picking the roster it happens in NBA,AFL and many other sporting leagues, but you cant just blame the coach if it doesnt quite work

If there are concerns about his coaching, tactics, communicaiton, leadership, etc then fair enough

bit harsh to blame him for the losses this season

Reply #563062 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

How many coaches don't pick their rosters in the league? Just out of curiousity.

Reply #563072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a good win by Coach Cotter against the 36ers. If Cotter was in charge of Melbourne with their roster he would also have them on top--well coached Damian.

Reply #564126 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:44 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754