Anonymous
Years ago

Dumb commentary this round

"He can not, and will not be able to..."
"For all the people watching at home..."
"The reason that he's not playing tonight, is because I spoke to the coach before the game and..."

Topic #38422 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

very cliche the commentary. Haven't been able to watch a game for a while but are they starting to comment about offensive plays and defensive set ups yet at all or is Dwayne Russell still trying to be the brian taylor of the nbl? lol. Rucker i think does a great job and i like homicide being on the commentary also.

Reply #562840 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Yeh it's the same stuff each game, my cringeworthy one is .... Anything you can do I can do better!

Reply #562843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am here with homicide. Homicide is a legend. Homicide is giving us his expeers thoughts. Fuck me. If you need to say his name so much maybe he isn't as big a name as you think?

Reply #562845 | Report this post

Stu  
Years ago

Found Williams ear splittingly frustrating Saturday night as a Sixers fan. Talked a whole lot about what Sydney had to do to hold its lead in the last quarter, not what Adelaide needed to do to get over the line. Also referred to Sydney as "we" a bit. A cardinal sin in sports commentary when you're going into both markets

Also the continual referring to him as homicide by Casey. Do I really need to try to explain to my young basketball mad kids that nickname?

Reply #562847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You whinges, atleast there is commentary to complain about. Im sure literally none of you could do a better job.

Reply #562851 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Homicides dribbling on the court is rivalled only by his dribbling in the commentary. He's grown on me a lil but I can handle him only in small doses. Why the hell Rucker isn't getting more gigs is puzzling, he is brilliant. He should be doing every game.

Reply #562866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Williams and Russell terrible. Can't listen to Russell when he does the AFL let alone NBL.
What happened to Anthony Hudson?

Reply #562867 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought Williams was perfect for Saturday, crazy commentary on a crazy game, but I'm with those who say only in small doses.

Reply #562883 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I hope this thread is a joke...

Reply #562884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That courtside commentary guy in the Melbourne United game v NZ seemed like an awkward fan boy. I thought Fox Sports was trying to run a professional operation here. No more of him, please!

Reply #562886 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Does anyone know what happened to Anthony Hudson? I think I've only heard him once or twice!

Reply #562890 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I liked some of Coreys comments, like "Julian Khazzouh is eating Daniel Johnsons face". And "Ant man"/The mosquito.

Dwayne russell needs to stop kissing Corey's ass all the time, though. It is looking... well.... a little gay, frankly.

Reply #562932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@NBL fan this thread has to be a joke surely .

Reply #562933 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Based on those first 3 examples alone, the NBL may as well shut up shop I reckon. Don't see how it can recover from that type of shame.

Reply #562938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt the commentators care what we think on our little forum

Reply #562941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Murray Walker was one of the most famous commentators in the world. His stuff ups are a thing of legend. If we are that judgmental about things maybe its time to take a breath and just enjoy the games, no one is forcing you to watch them.

Reply #562945 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

I think Corey Williams is a good colour guy. A bit like Stacey King for the Chicago Bulls. Problem is he needs a good straight play caller to go with him. A bit less "have you heard I am here with Corey "Homicide" Williams" and a bit more calling the game. Seriously the commentators name shouldn't be said more than all the players on the court combined!

Reply #562949 | Report this post

Homicide adds some excitement to the commentary which has probably never been seen before in the NBL. The problem is, if you actually listen to what he is saying, there is little substance.

Reply #562953 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

Chris Goulding is to Dwayne Russell what Cyril Rioli is to Bruce McAvaney

Reply #562957 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OP's three examples are about as petty as it gets.

The non-basketball commentary I've heard has been quite solid.

Reply #562960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This one deserves a run.

Dwayne Russell- Homicide knows all about South Chicago because he is from the Bronx.

Reply #562986 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Dwayne Russell has some odd statements at times (like the Chicago/Bronx statement, as well as his 'I'll take your word for it' comment re: Beirut), but in general I've been pretty happy with just about everyone...... except CJ.

Reply #562991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide says multiple times "they need to give the ball to Al Harrington to win". They give the ball to Al Harrington twice for two bad shots and they lose the game. Very funny stuff.

Reply #562996 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Guess we can just go ahead and mute the tv or go back to just following live stats with no coverage? C'mon pretty petty things people find to ruin their NBL experience! Basketball fans just need to chill and enjoy the positive stuff that is happening.

Reply #563014 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Commentary has been great I reckon.

Williams is exciting.

The only thing i do get annoyed with is one of the commentators always says "X puts up the shot and it just rims out" - when the shot hit the front of the rim. Petty complaint on my part though really

Greer is also very good. Rucker superb. If anything our own MZ commentators need to up their game.

Reply #563048 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Twas nice to have Mulls back last week.

Reply #563058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mulls?

Reply #563063 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Andrew Mulligan. The play-by-play guy in New Zealand.

And yes, it very much was. Wasn't a fan of the guy they had filling in.

Reply #563065 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

I don't find Dwayne Russell too bad and he generally has a good command of the more minimalist approach to commentary. Some commentators tend to over-commentate each possession as though it's a radio broadcast, which can become grating, especially if they're not totally familiar with basketball terminology.

He could tone down some of his excitement and exaggeration sometimes. It can sound a little patronising to be told constantly that a team down 20 is 'still in it' after scoring a couple of consecutive baskets.

Also there are a couple of 'facts' he keeps repeating that have gone uncorrected, like saying Jawai is the first Indigenous player to play in the NBL (Danny Morseu was playing back in the 70s/80s.) Perhaps he got this 'fact' confused with Jawai being the first Indigenous man to play in the NBA. He's also said a few times that Stephen Holt played with Kickert in college even though Kickert finished college almost a decade ago.

But overall I haven't minded the commentary. I hope they keep rotating the commentators every now and then for some variety.

Reply #563206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had to laugh when H Williams commented about the offensive player running forwards and hitting the defensive player running backwards in the chest. That is a charge Homicide. Always has been and always will be.

Reply #563225 | Report this post

Lindsay  
Years ago

I generally haven't minded Homicide, although he really started grating on me in the 36ers/Kings game. Agree with @Slammin08 that he needs to be paired with more of a straight play caller. Heck, for most of the second half it felt like he became the play-by-play commentator (although admittedly it was an exciting game). His 'street talk' e.g 'alright Ant Man, whadaya got?' on every Sixers possession, 'Ant Man Ant Man Ant Man' etc. is cool in moderation but in this game it went over the top and made me want to press mute. I miss Steve Carfino's colour commentary, and that's coming from a Wildcats fan.

I like Brad Robbins as the special comments guy. Obviously he doesn't have the 'flair' of Homicide but he can articulate his thoughts much more clearly for one. Also he really compliments the play-by-play rather than overpowering it simply by timing his comments well and keeping them concise, and he doesn't constantly repeat himself the way Homicide tends to do.

Reply #563296 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754