Anonymous
Years ago

Childress charged with unsportsmanlike behaviour

Why is it that we have refs who are so precious that they can never be criticised. They may get dumped (hooray) yet when it comes to talking to players on the court or off the court they are a protected species.
Hunt, milldenhall, Robbie, mal and more were always happy to talk during the game and when appropriate explain things as they occurred. Hell they would even admit to making the wrong call and apologise, not their their decision would be reversed.
Now we have a bunch of far less technically competent refs who fear communicating.
Generally supervised by often people that have never even reff'd a NBL game or a lower level.
It seems that Childress gobbed off and what if was correct?
Most sports now protect the refs and they are untouchable. Sad days indeed.

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/childress-found-guilty-by-tribunal/

Topic #38438 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Childress out for 2 games

The NBL is stranger than fiction. You could not make this stuff up

He's injured. Does the suspension apply from now or from when he's taken off the injury list

Reply #563227 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

What's to stop Sydney bringing him back from injury 2 games before he is ready?

Reply #563228 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

So what happens to Cedric Jackson now?

"All three of you m----f---ers should be f---ing fired" -Jackson at official Raoul Kirsten, per Liam Santamaria's Twitter

Reply #563229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly what I was thinking Train and what I would do if I were Sydney. Just not sure how that would affect the Harrington situation?

Reply #563230 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

This is a stupid punishment. Just ban him from sitting on the bench during games. As a fan I'll be very disappointed if he has to sit out 2 games after he's healthy.

Reply #563232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he gets 2 games for this, 1 game for a hit on Wagstaff and Conklin doesn't get anything at all.. Makes sense

Reply #563233 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

And yet Joey Wright can't even get a tech even though he hurls abuse and fist pumps at refs on a frequent basis.

Absolute joke.

Reply #563234 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I wonder what he would have gotten for the same behaviour back when he was in the NBA ?

Reply #563238 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

I watched Childress live and his behavior was way beyond just mouthing off and appeared to be extremely aggressive to the point that he looked like he was going to strike the refs.

Got what he deserved in my opinion.

Reply #563241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress pleaded guilty, for what it's worth.

Reply #563242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

chased them across court and down the race and stood outside the door waiting for them. that is not asking for a chat.

Reply #563243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why did no one else see this incident. Only had to be at the game type thing? I certainly have seen abuse in the tunnel at a Tigers game previously.

Reply #563244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the bigger the NBL star, the more petulant they become.

Reply #563245 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Now we have a bunch of far less technically competent refs who fear communicating"

There was an article earlier this season about how the refs have been given licence to talk to players during the games. e.g., warning them rather than immediately calling a foul. There have been a lot of statements on this forum about the refs' comments to players during games. e.g., a post about the ADL-SYD game referred to a ref making a comment to Gibson during the game, mentioning it not being 'playstation'.

That suggests they don't 'fear communicating'.

Reply #563250 | Report this post

One difference between what Cedric did and what Childress did is that Cedric reacted to an extremely obvious and costly error, while Childress again tried to blame the refs for things not going his way. For all the good he does, he's also a whiney bitch.

Reply #563251 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Chalmers, was it proven that officials had the timeout counts correct?

Reply #563252 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

I heard the timeout situation was Childress's complaint

Reply #563253 | Report this post

I didn't mention the timeouts

Reply #563255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Kings spent as much time practicing free throws as complaining to refs then maybe they wouldn't have been in that situation

Reply #563256 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

How primary school punishment is this part: "Childress has also been directed by the Tribunal to provide written apologies to the referees involved within the next seven days."

Im sorry, but that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in sport, if he is truly sorry he will say it, why force someone to apologise like a little kid?

#SoftRefs?

Reply #563257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He actually ran across the court once the siren went, ignored shaking opponents hands or consoling his teammates (who had just given up a massive lead) to chase the refs towards their tunnel.

Reply #563261 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Haha Chalmers, that's the problem with this forum... everyone's on the defensive. It's quite a laugh.

It was a simple question mate, because I wasn't sure about both the outcome of timeout gate and Childress's reasoning behind hassling refs. I know minimal facts about this.

If it turned out that officials miscounted or wrongly attributed timeouts, then it could be argued that because Childress was right and the refs were wrong, Chill should've been handed a lighter penalty or no penalty at all

Reply #563267 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Which would be the same reason no action was taken on Jackson (thank god for that btw)

Reply #563268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

time out count was correct.

Reply #563270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Touch the rim

Please show me in the rule book where it states if the referee gets a call wrong you have the right to abuse them??

Reply #563272 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Anon, you're missing the point.

Consistency

Reply #563273 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Yeah, the bit I missed was that Jackson told all three refs to their faces that they should be fired*

Reply #563274 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Ah, nope, said it up there^

Reply #563275 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Harrington was saved by Childress.

If Childress didn't rush at the refs and start verbally abusing them and adopting a very aggressive manner, the refs would have seen Harrington boot anything he could find as he went off. Bottles, a chair and someone's rubbish.

Pretty poor form from NBA players to walk off blaming Adelaide players perhaps for not violating on enough free throws in order to give them some more turns at getting it in.

Reply #563281 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Harrington didn't kick a chair, he walked right past me and can confirm he punted a gatorade bottle towards the NW stand

Reply #563283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nbl has made their own bed to lie in with the precedents they have done in the past, as mentioned before, no consistancy. Fining Childress would have no effect, he's got more money than the nbl combined. And the fact he's not in uniform makes it worse, in essence he was a spectator with really good seats. Bugger this written apology crap. This is where the nbl is so far behind in other major sports in Australia, they would have a press conference and the apology would be made there in front of the press.
Make the punishment worth something, take a win or 2 off their record, that should deter any other player/official from doing it again. Referees, right or wrong have the right to not feel threatened, instead of threatening umpires they're going to be fired, make it official and if they're in the wrong they get penalized again. In the sanfl, late in the season a port player touched an umpire, no malice or intimidation. He got suspended because the rule is don't touch an umpire.
The nbl is a joke run by idiots, hmmmm, same as bsa. No wonder the sport is a mess compared to the glory days, no one has the guts to say I'm wrong or be consistent.

Reply #563286 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

For me, this starts on the court.

Start policing immature and anti-social behaviour on the court and that then sets the standard.

More players should get technicals for the way they argue, confront and jump up and down at the refs.

The NBL have let that slide over recent seasons and they need to start policing it on the court so that a precedent is set.

Unfortunately, precedent and consistency aren't going too well together at the NBL at the moment.

Reply #563301 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Make your free throws kids

Reply #563304 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, agree with that. Also with '286 about an apology in a press conference, by letter is silly. No need for it to be embarrassing for Childress, it's a chance for him to maintain his public standing.

What was the penalty for Cedric in saying that?

Reply #563308 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

MACDUB is spot on. Both in the solution and the lack of its consistent application.

A major part of professionalism is behaving professionally. An NBL player has to behave acceptably on court and, if he needs to, should vent his spleen privately over a beer with mates after the game. Just like everyone else who has something upset them at work.

Reply #563311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I started the original topic and it's about time more refs were dropped for their ineptness at higher levels. It's all very well and good to stop the players tantrums at refs but that's exactly where the preciousness starts. Petulant, uncommunicative, untouchable and generally unaccountable is the refs at that level.
Clear communication is the answer and that from my first hand observation doesn't occur. About time that refs supervisors were accountable too as they are the ones that dictate what and how the current bunch of refs and future refs behave. Way overdue.

Reply #563312 | Report this post

So this thread isn't about Childress being petulant again, its about the refs that caused him to do what he did? It seems its never his fault for anything!

Reply #563315 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Childress has been round long enough to know how to act towards refs, regardless of how good or bad they are.

Feels to me like they've handed out what sounds like a harsh penalty but, given Childress is injured and the penalty starts immediately, it's in essence a suspended sentence. There's no way he'd have been given the same penalty if he was healthy.

The written letter thing is cringeworthy.

One can only assume Cedric wasn't cited - and I certainly wouldn't be taking Liam Santamaria's word as gospel as to what Ced said.

Reply #563316 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Bring in the video ref. Been calling for that for years.

Reply #563337 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Regardless of refs performance , you don't chase them off the court then stand outside their locker abusing them to a level that security needs to be brought in to take you away.

Reply #563341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

Reply #563346 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

What was Goulding's punishment for assaulting a ref during the game?

Oh that's right, 2 free throws and possession.

Reply #563350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jumpshot you have a video ref what do you think IRS is. yes Childress chased the referees off court and then down the race then stood outside their door. Wasn't he on a good behaviour bond from last year flying leap at Knight?

Reply #563353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress had some good news at the tribunal with a second charge of "Offensive/Obscene/Profane Language to Referee/Game Official" was withdrawn.
Once again the NBL are weak. If they had any balls they would have suspended him once he commenced playing again. WTF is the point of suspending him for 2 games when already out injured.

Reply #563383 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

In my opinion the difference between the Childress and Cedric incidents is that Cedric was suited up and playing not sitting on the bench then chasing them down the tunnels.

Reply #563436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah that's appalling by Cedric and obviously he should be suspended but the NBL is still a bush league so but he deserves more leeway than Childress who wasn't even playing and can't really use an in the heat of the moment type excuse.

The league from the admin down really needs to get a lot more professional.

Reply #563451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While not condoning what Cedric did was proper, it was a verbal reaction to what was a game changing bad call. Who wouldn't have at least thought it, maybe not in such a profane way. Most leagues it's a fine and grows if he does something like that again. 10 grand susprnded on good behavior fine would be a decent chunk of change and a deterrent. Way better than chasing umpires.

Reply #563475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice one by Wroe

Reply #563507 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754