Anonymous
Years ago

2016 Athlete Development Camp invitees

44 players have been invited to Basketball Australia's Athlete Development Camp (ADC) with all eight states and territories represented.

Held from January 18-22, the ADC offers a mechanism to identify future Australian Boomers and Opals as well as assess potential scholarship holders for the Centre of Excellence.

Players are also given the development opportunity to learn under the top coaches in the country and be exposed to the Boomers and Opals style of play.

"It provides a holistic education approach where the athletes will be involved in individual development as well as team concepts," said Australian Opals coach Brendan Joyce.

“It also offers what we call an IQ development opportunity, which will assist the athletes in decision making. We all know it is important to have a skills package but it is equally important to develop your intellect and understanding of the game.”

Aside from the 44 athletes, eleven coaches will also be exposed to the education process.

“We will subject coaches that have the potential to coach our junior national teams and possibly step up to senior teams in some capacity.

“We share the style of play and then those coaches can go back and teach those concepts down the line. So in it’s own way this also assists us in increasing the development of players.

“We allow the opportunity for state high performance managers to participate or observe at the camp which offers another opportunity for everyone to understand what we want transferred down to junior levels and this again directly develops Australian players and coaches.”

The 2016 ADC list of athletes: Tina Aokusa (QLDS), Brady Armstrong (TAS), Isabela Bourne (ACT), Kyle Bowen (WA), Austin Bradtke (VICM), Emma Clarke (WAM), Lucy Cochrane (VICM), Abby Cubillo (NT), Chelsea D’Angelo (VICC), Lachlan Dent (NSWC), Dragon Elkaz (NSWM), Ben Fakira (NSWM), Biar Garang (SAM), Grace George (QLDS), Miela Goodchild (QLDS), Juliet Gordan (SAM), Cassidy Gould (VICM), Bailey Griffiths (VICM), Mackenzie Hoycard (WAC), Matt Johns (VICC), Sean MacDonald (VICM), Cassidy McLean (NSWC), Lara McSpadden (NSWC), Ezi Magbegor (VICM), Makuach Maluach (NSWC), Ky Matthews-Hampton (SAC), Taylor Mole (TAS), Chloe Molloy (VICC), Alexander Mudronja (SAM), Genna Ogier (VICC), Andrew Panayiotou (VICM), Rebecca Pizzey (VICM), Jacon Rigoni (SAM), Maddison Rocci (VICM), Kiera Rowe (TAS), Ryan Runnals (QLDN), Jazmine Shelley (VICC), Sam Short (VICC), Jaz Simmons (NSWC), Samantha Simons (SAM), Kody Stattman (QLDN), Nick Stoddard (QLDS), Jackson Walsh (SAC).

The 2016 ADC list of coaches: Phil Brown, Brett Coxsedge, Trudie Hopgood, David Ingham, Jordan Mullan, Mark Radford, Justin Schueller, Shannon Seebohm, Kristen Veal, Mark Watkins.

Topic #38442 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting list

all the 2016 CoE girls (except Horvat) are going and will go towards the u17 worlds on 2016.

good to see Tina Aokusa getting includedas well.

On the mens side there is no Fullarton, Colina (both at CoE in 2015) as well as no Sam froling, Pat Bines or Dalton, probably 5 of the best that will go towards the u17 worlds in 2016 not going to this camp. Very interesting, I would of thought the mens 2016 CoE team would have been selected prior but it looks like this may in part be a selection camp..

All the men selected
Austin Bradtke
Lachlan Dent
Dragon Elkaz
Ben Fakira
Biar Garang
Brady Armstrong
Bailey Griffiths
Matt Johns
Sean MacDonald
Makuach Maluach 1998
Ky Matthews-Hampton
Alexander Mudronja
Andrew Panayiotou 1998
Jacon Rigoni 1998
Ryan Runnals
Sam Short 1998
Kody Stattman
Nick Stoddard
Jackson Walsh

The big disappointment with this list of 'next crop' players to be developed by Basketball Australia is the continued lack of those with Sudanese heritage. There is Biar Garang which is great but we have know about him and his talent for a while and finally Makuach Maluach is getting recognition. With all the high level guys getting opportunities in the US you would have to think we are missing great players for development let alone the total lack of girls coming through....

Reply #563348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see some new names on the list.

On the other hand, there are some seriously talented kids missing!

Reply #563349 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Why is it disappointing that there is only a couple of Sudanese players? It shouldn't matter what their heritage is.

Reply #563354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, it shouldn't and it doesn't.

The disappointment (I spoke of) is attached to missed opportunity to develop the best talent, not attached to heritage (race).

Reply #563359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You miss the point of the camp anon^, it isn't about development it is about being seen by the Aus coaches and opportunity to do what they want to see the kids do in order that they fit the needs of the Aus teams.

Development is done at their home Associations, week in and week out.

Reply #563363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Development is a process

the "ATHLETE DEVELOPMENT CAMP" opens the door to the next level. if your not there...

Reply #563368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that the BSA site says Lat Mayen and Darcy Rees were invited but I can't see them on the BA site!?!?!

Reply #563371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's interesting.

They also list the full list of players which doesn't include the 2 you mentioned.
Also it says 44 players and when I counted the names there are 42, maybe those 2 were accidentally not listed.
Maybe we can add
Lat Mayen
Darcy Rees

Reply #563380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some young talent have already had several visits this yea.Why are they again being looked at. Surely they know by now if they fit into the program or not. Give a few new talented kids a go.

Reply #563391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If, in a few years, the top Australian players playing in the NBA and/or the national team are Ben Simmons, Deng Adel, Jonah Bolden, Isaac Humphries, Mangok Mathiang, Thon Maker, Matur Maker and possibly others, I wonder how strong the CoE's claim of being the best development option for young players will be.

Some of these guys may never play for Australia in international competition, which is the CoE's primary stated aim, but in the not too distant future we may be looking at a landscape where all the best and most skilled Australians playing at the highest levels will have bypassed the CoE and developed elsewhere (the US). I understand also that some of these guys (Humphries, Simmons?) spent some time at the AIS/CoE before leaving early.

Reply #563394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know why the boys named by #348 are missing? As stated they're amongst the strongest contenders for u17 worlds, yet Dalton missed out on Oceania so surely isn't considered a sure thing?

Reply #563397 | Report this post

really  
Years ago

I also find the list of coaches going interesting.

Someone like Mark Watkins has been to many of these, should not the opportunity be given to another coach.

Then Brett Coxsledge from BWA, as far as I know he hasn't coached any teams over there at all.

Doesn't the list of coaches usually come from the national tournament coaches.

Having said this, I'm sure all of the coaches are good at what they do and will help develop players/coaches when they return to respective states.

Reply #563399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Odd...

I thought this squad would be almost guaranteed for u17.
Dent/?
Elkaz/garang/bines
Fullarton/johns
Froling/runnalls/fakira
Dalton/Colina

Zunic, lutula, mudronja, Armstrong etc as other pg?
Maybe these guys don't need developing (dalton, colina, froling, Fullarton, bines)

Women's team you would think...
Shelley/cubillo
Simmons/Simons/goodchild
McLean/Rowe
Pizzey/Cochrane/?
Magbegor/mcspadden

Not sure on the last spot....

Reply #563429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the CoE boys will be going whether named or not.

All the coaches invited are just the high performance coaches from each state

Reply #563673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why had a spot been given to someone with a Brocken ankle ?

Reply #563755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they deserve it?

Whoever it has can have access to awesome resources for the best possible rehab.

Reply #563831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm still puzzled by the absence of the Frolings, Daltons, etc...They would have declined an invite surely; perhaps wishing to prioritise state championships?

Reply #563978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shouldn't Mark Watkins be there if he is the current Under 17 Head Coach?! I would have thought it was part of preparation for the 17 World's next year...

Reply #563985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this another trial for the 17's worlds ? Haven't they already chosen that team or are there still opportunities for other players after the 18 nationals
The selection does seem fixed without looking beyond the same old players..... who's out watching these kids actually play week in week out against their piers some of these players are still very young to be pigeon hold !!

Reply #564115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. TI in Australia is always backward looking, not forward looking. Those making selection decision have very little insight, experience or knowledge into forecasting top level elite juniors through to national programs.

They consider performance at the last nationals as gospel but they need to look deeper to identify real talent. The kids that excel at nationals are often those that buy into restrictive systems from over controlling coaches especially in the Victorian system. You will find that a lot of US programs are looking under the surface of national championships now for kids that can actually play.

Also what a kid was doing 7 months ago at Nationals can have very little bearing on where they are at now. Those making selections need to look at talent rather than robots, that matured early. I think that is why you will find there are few Sudanese getting opportunity, relative to those going to schools like Louisville, LSU, ULM etc etc.

Reply #564124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So are they selecting players who can play both end
Of the court or are they at Robot players that can only do one thing ie defend but can't catch or shoot ??
If this is the case how can they be Elite athletes ??

Reply #564129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robots that run xs and os well, pattern based thinkers, that run a system rather than make decision, that can't make plays. The guys that make average coaches look good but won't go anywhere and can't really play.

Reply #564132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many on the above list are currently injured there
Is at least one major injury to the point that player won't even be able to run how many others are in the same boat, yes support these injured players but why not pass that opportunity to another player/ players

Reply #564135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the comment about the Sudanese players about
Is that a Nationality that the Aus Coaches are looking for

Reply #564136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't some of these players be under 20's

Reply #564144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

98 (possibly 2017 u19 worlds and college)
Aokuso
Ogier
Molloy
Rocci
Clarke
Hoycard

99 (2016 u17 worlds)
Cubillo
McLean
Mcspadden
Pizzey
Rowe
Simmons
Magbegor

00 (2016 u17 worlds / 2019 u19 worlds)
Bourne
Simons
Mole
Shelley
Cochrane
Dangelo
Gould
Goodchild

Not sure..
George
Gordan

Reply #564224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is not a try out for worlds, although obviously all of these things add up when picking teams.

Does anybody know if we can add to our squads ( I think of 24 from memory) that we named last year? Or does the team need to be selected from squad?

Not all of those going to the camp were selected, and obviously lots in the squad didn't receive an invitation.

Reply #564363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the person who keeps bringing up the "Sudanese" kids, get off the colour of the skin wagon will you, players should be chosen for their ability NOT were they come from. Just because they are tall does not mean they have ability over and above others who are not as tall. Plus have a think about were most of the talented "Sudanese" end up before they even finish high school, they are heading off to USA and Canada.....

Reply #564367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find that there's many people reading this site that might question the selection process with the Sudanese players and it's not a height issue plenty of players the same if not taller possessing the same skills if not better being over looked

Reply #564375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find that there's many people reading this site that might question the selection process with the Sudanese players and it's not a height issue plenty of players the same if not taller possessing the same skills if not better being over looked

If that's the case, question the player DO NOT bring in his or her 'nationality'after all they are ALL supposed to be Australian, plenty of Australians get overlooked for one reason or another.

Reply #564384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Move on wether you agree with the selection or not

Reply #564387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some are Australian Not all

Reply #564451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SO why didn't some of the under 17 boys attend?

Reply #565411 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I heard that some those U17s may be offered AIS scholarships next year and therefore they will already be up there. I don't know how true it is but thats what I've heard.

Reply #565529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With these girls off to Coe. Pretty much locks for world's next year.
Shelley/cubillo
Simmons/Simons
Rowe/
Pizzey/Cochrane
Magbegor/mcspadden

The other u16 players E.Batish and n.George aren't in development camp? = out of contention?
That means 3 spots are up for grabs....
2-3 out of McLean(Oceania u16) George(Oceania u16), mole(Oceania u16), goodchild, dangelo, Gould, Clarke, gordan.
0-1 out of batish(pre Oceania u16), Rees, Bourne.
with a 3rd pg or combo guard required.. More than likely 1 of George or goodchild will be picked.

Reply #566710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shyla Heal has been added to the camp after her father complained

Reply #566731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shyla heal was born 02? She'll have her chance....

Reply #566733 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:45 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754