Jumpshot
Years ago

Sydney v Adelaide, Nov 12

It's unusual for Sydney to shoot that well from the perimeter as they did in the last game, and they still manage to loose a 24 point lead.

So I expect Adelaide to get this one by 10.

Topic #38451 | Report this topic

36ersNayshun  
Years ago

I fear Sydney may be angry enough to get this one back. I think the Sixers will need to get off to a flyer to have any chance. Sydney by 10.

Reply #563705 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The rematch of the season!

At the end of Q1 last game I was ready to rip up my ticket and drown my sorrows at the Findon Hotel. The Kings were out of the blocks faster than a group of Willaston netball girls on an end of season trip to the Balak races and the Sixers just stood there wondering what happened. They were like a king kid whose ice-cream fell on the ground after one lick and wondering whether they should pick it up.

Then the unbelievable happened and the Sixers got up.

This game I would expect the Kings to be all over Randle like a cheap suited farm boy from Pinery at the Balak races. He will find it hard to bag another 20 something game.

I'm not expecting Kazzough to foul out tonight. Home court calls might see Peach or Hodgson take an early shower, but they better make sure they don't make contact in the last minute of the game after the ball has been declared dead. What a way to ruin a great game.

You all know who I'm going to tip, and with very good reason.

Reply #563706 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The rematch of the season!*

*Except for the Townsville v Perth rematch!

Really looking forward to this one. Sydney are showing they can score a lot of points, Harrington is getting his legs slowly, and it will be tough for Adelaide to pile on a heap of points on the road on the second leg of a mini series like this.

Having said that, if the 36ers can keep it close you know Sydney have some scars.

I think the key for Sydney will not be overplaying Harrington, 32 minutes last week was way too many. They're better to get 20-25 minutes of quality than 15 good and 15 crap due to fatigue.

Reply #563708 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"*Except for the Townsville v Perth rematch!"

or the upcoming Breakers Vs Floppers....

Reply #563736 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What are the odds on a flopping tech being called in the NZ v Melbourne clash?

Reply #563738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are not all NBL games Floppers v Floppers?

Reply #563742 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Im hoping for a 36er win but expecting the Kings to be hungry so if the 6ers dont make a add solid start it could be trouble. Hoping the 6ers have had time to sort out what the hell happend for 3qtrs last time because they were shithouse. I mean really really bad. If they rectify that they are the better team. Would be nice for Ebe to help out for more than one damn quarter too. Randle will be exhausted come play off time if not.

Reply #563770 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wondering what the crowd is going to be like tonight. Only so many times they can bill their home games as 'Must Win' in the supporter emails.

Reply #563773 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Jack Toft is tipping the Violet Crumbles!!!!

WHAT??!

Reply #563774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe24...I'd say Randle is probably used to a heavy workload - probably thrives off it.

Reply #563779 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah agree, but wouldn't it be nice to have someone else help him out a bit and get him some rest every now and then. Usually thats DJ but he was mia last game, just wondering how small the role Ebe is actually playing. Gibson not likley to get you 20+... but atleast he can control the tempo and get others involved.

Reply #563803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

live stats? cant find them on the teams or the nbl facebook page..

Reply #563845 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Can anyone in this league defend without fouling?

The overall defense in this league is shocking.

Reply #563847 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They would defend but they know it will just be a blowout anyway so they don't bother.

Reply #563850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol Harrington was in the key for 10 seconds then

Reply #563851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Can anyone in this league defend without fouling?

The overall defense in this league is shocking.'

See Jervis' last quarter last night. Outstanding.

Reply #563852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best Ewing interview yet

What a stunner

Reply #563853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Embarrassing for Walker

Reply #563854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi Ere with the clutch dunk.

Contract extension beckons

Reply #563855 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hahahaha Harrington banking in that 3. Love it!

Reply #563856 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Who's the little guy, possibly assistant coach, with the awful glasses on the Sydney bench?

And who told him those glasses were a good idea?

Reply #563857 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Prewster is a stud. Will have a long career in the league. A guy who has that game where he can give value to any team..has a real niche.

Reply #563858 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

LOL ,thinking you can win a championship with the 36ers defense LOLOL..

36ers were NOTHING But lucky last week..

There D is absolutely atrocious....

Reply #563859 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

6ers are in deep doo doo now. Nasty finish to the half. Sigh this squad just isnt deep enough to absorb runs... randle will have to try do it all... again.

Reply #563860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Embarrassing for Walker'

Walker is embarrassing.

Reply #563861 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

One highlight Ebi Ere is on absolute fire by his standards. Great stuff.

Reply #563862 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Adelaide perimeter defence has always been prett poor under but our interior D is actually pretty good, especially without any good shot blockers lately.

Reply #563864 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Kings shooting 60% from the field...

50% from 3....LOLOL

LOL @ Joey Wright

Reply #563865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Hahahaha Harrington banking in that 3. Love it!'

Did he bank it in from the corner?

Reply #563866 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yep he did. Its the most satisfying thing ever watch a bank three from the cornee where it clips the backboard haha

Reply #563867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Vinsanity

Reply #563868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is more of the Harrington I expected

Reply #563869 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sydeny lead into double figures with just over a quarter to go, I am just waiting for the 6'ers come back now...

Reply #563871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Impressive driving and dishing from Ere the last 2 plays

Reply #563872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible shot Cadee

Reply #563874 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

ADL $6 at TAB now. Hmmm..sounds good even though theyre down by 11

Reply #563876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL = No Blowouts League

Reply #563877 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sydney losing their minds. Cadee with horrible shot selection.

Reply #563878 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Randle needs to explode now for any chance of the W. That Cadee 3 hurt at the end of the 3rd.

Reply #563879 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

The no defense league...

LOL and people think Goulding will do well in the NBA..LOL.

In the NBA, they play DEFENSE, unlike this league which is nothing more than pick up ball.

Reply #563882 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Enough with the lol's its so sad. The league is great its respected deal with it.

Reply #563883 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ah the irony of that post..the NBA reg season games are nothing more than pick up games.

Reply #563884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Shot Cadee

Reply #563886 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wonder if Joey will regret his 'its called defense' line?

Reply #563887 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

LOL, if someone EVEN DARES to play defense, the refs just call a foul...

No wonder this league is and will ALWAYS be a joke in this country and the world of basketball.

LOL, NBL trying t get high scores by making soft rings and calling anything and eveyrthing a foul.

Reply #563888 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Well anon go find another league to support and fuckoff... ok pumpkin

Reply #563889 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

I am telling you, if you remotely try and play defense in this league, the refs will punish you..

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY DEFENSE IN THIS LEAGUE....Its bad for scores and bad for ratings..

Reply #563890 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

LOL, 36ers INTENTIONALLY fouling with over 2 min left in the game..
ONLY In the NBL...No where else, ONLY in the NBL.

Reply #563891 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Harrington fouled...

The ref to the 36ers player..."How dare you even remotely try and play defense on him, how dare you. If i see you try and play defense one more time, you will be banned from this league"

Reply #563892 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Isaac is there a mute button for this spam?

Reply #563893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

Giving anons a bad name everywhere

Reply #563894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coaches loss. same as the nz and cairns game, left until too late to change it up and again its creek and hodgson left on the bench and hit the court too late. they did better in the 3rd with no gibbo..this ones on joey for watching 7 minutes of turnovers

Reply #563895 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Where are Sydney's fans? The stadiums empty, and even looking at the size of this thread compared to other teams games shows a lack of interest, and 25% of posts in here are anonitroll

Reply #563896 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Teys should definitely be suspended for that

Reply #563897 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Thats not very smart from Teys that foul.

Reply #563898 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Nice cleavage in the Ref Cam too.

Reply #563899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

our defence is a shambles

Reply #563900 | Report this post

Tony2119  
Years ago

Adelaide are feral. That's the country bumpkin attitude this league doesn't need. Go back to Elizabeth and your barrels

Reply #563901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was about to complain about the Foxeye ref view and then I copped an eyeful of one the nicest views at the score bench.. Thankyou Fox

Reply #563903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol anonitroll

Reply #563904 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Disappointed that Teys wasn't benched for that.

Yes there was only .4 seconds left, but that is not the style of play any coach should accept.

Reply #563905 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

FM, especially a coach like Joey

Reply #563907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and DJ needs help when he's getting bodied and smashed by so many bigs, he's obviously tiring. Peach is hot and cold. Randle tuns well with Creek and DJ with Hodgson. Safety net, connection and confidence in those matchup. Someone please review the tapes and show Joey. Get rid of Walker and get BJ back, Joey will have his loyalty. That was a totally winnable game.

Reply #563908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical Adelaide basketball...can never consolidate a win (makes last weeks great win sour and mute) and still don't play any perimeter D.

Joey needs to bring in a defensive coach because he has no idea.

Reply #563909 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Good to see Gibbo continue on after a blistering first term.

Oh wait....

Reply #563910 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Imagine if an NBL team went to play against Euro teams in Europe? LOL...They would get throttled.

NBL teams couldnt handle the defense...The defenses here are so soft so bad.

Reply #563911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this defense wanker the same as blow out billy?

Reply #563913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo irrelevant again, as was Ebi - one can be replaced...time to cut the crap!

Reply #563914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Good to see Gibbo continue on after a blistering first term.'

Are you describing tonight or his whole career?

Reply #563915 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Where's all the hypocritical DH's wanting Cotter's head?

You fuck wits are so predictable. Guess you are all kissing his arse tonight?

Do Damo a favour and stay away. He and the Kings don't need you!!!

Reply #563916 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

6ers may've needed that loss, the more of that crap that is served up the closer they are to coming to their senses and upgrading the over the hill import. The only spot we van actually upgrade, unless there is any Aussie talent floating around... then Joey can keep all the locker room presence he wants and cut someone else who is under performing.

Reply #563917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can only imagine how good Harrington would be if he was in good shape.

Reply #563919 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good game by the Kings. Still some things I wasn't happy with - Garlepp, please, please, pretty please just pass the ball when trying to beat the press, Carter please find Khazzouh when he's posting up Gibbo rather than launch the contested three - but lots of positives. Prewster is the player that Kevin White never was. When Cadee plays with swag, he's 10x the player he usually is. Harrington played like what we probably all expected Harrington to be like. I liked Garlepp's fire off the bench, but he can not defend the perimeter to save his life.

As for the Sixers, not sure why Gibbo just disappeared after a quick start. I barely remember him after the 1st Q. Randle is awesome, but you almost have to try turn him into a shooter - he can hit it (at a great clip %) but he's more dangerous when he's getting inside and attacking. DJ looks like he's struggling to find his way now that Randle is the focal point of the offense.

And who knew Ebi could still throw it down???

Reply #563920 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh, and as for the crowd, yeah it wasn't great, but what do you expect after the disappointing start to the year, combined with crap weather.

Still at least a couple of thousand, I'd say 3k?

Reply #563921 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

Harrington in Ebi out

Reply #563922 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think there were two scouts sitting two rows behind me too. Spalding notepads jotting notes all game. Getting a look at Thornton or maybe Harrington?

Reply #563923 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yolo, we can only dream, only dream. One thing is for sure, when Childress is fit again, what are the kings going to do. Cut ties with NBA affiliates by dumping Thornton, or get rid of a guy who is just starting to find his form. Harrington could be the beast of all beasts if he keeps rolling. Unlike Sam Young he cares too, real love for the game type.

Reply #563924 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, it's refreshing to see an import, especially with the profile of Harrington, come in and actually seem to give a damn and be a team player. Haven't seen one since... well... Childress. :)

I suspect he's only down here to get in shape for a shot at making an NBA roster around All-Star break time, though.

Reply #563925 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Spot on Angus, thats what I was thinking too. Get in shape, hang in a great city, scouts etc will be keeping an eye on Thornton anyways and hopefully latch on to a contender and the rest will be history. Ofcourse thats the perfect Al Harrington scenario anyways.

Reply #563926 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

The thinness of the Kings squad worries me a bit. Are the development players terrible? Cotter never plays them, even in what is clearly garbage time. Jeromie Hill looks OK but hardly gets on the floor. With Markovic absent, they're basically down to 8 players.

Reply #563927 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

At this point, the thinness of our squad is immaterial... With not much shot at a top-4 finish, I'm just hoping for some more fun games like tonight.

Reply #563928 | Report this post

Anonymous1  
Years ago

What's wrong with Markovic, read on a tweet he Has an illness or something?

Reply #563931 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure what it is, but he was in the building tonight and down on the court at the end of the game.

Reply #563932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where are those saying Harrington isn't fit now? A huge dunk and energetic performance. You don't do that if you're out of shape

Reply #563935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta love a dunk that proves you must be fit.

Reply #563937 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nate Jawai is therefore the fittest guy in the NBL.

Reply #563939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Nate Jawai is therefore the fittest guy in the NBL."

Second only to Ebi Ere!

Reply #563940 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well Ebi threw down a nice jam so must be chiseled.

And I'm fully with whoever said Teys should be suspended for that (or at least receive some sort of sanction). No place for it in the game, the only thing it could have achieved was injury. Surprised to see Brendan do that.

Reply #563941 | Report this post

Coeezy  
Years ago

Al Harrington retired from the NBA...I'm not sure where this talk about making a roster by all-star break is coming from.

Reply #563942 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Kobe

You seem to enjoy pinning all the 6'ers problems on the over the hill import. I'm not sure that is fair.

First and foremost, if you want to look for something to blame, you needn't look further than Sydney's 106 points @ 54% FG%. Before this game Sydney averaged 83.7 PPG @ 42.6%, the second lowest FG% in the league.

I think the team defence needs to be addressed first before pointing fingers at individuals.

This over the hill import scored more than the rest of the bench and had more output than Petrie IN LESS MINUTES.

This over the hill import is also third in the team in PPG, which is not too shabby when you consider the team has DJ, Randle, Gibbo, Creek and Teys.

Consider that the average of the import PPGs is 13.9, the over the hill import's 10.6 is not that far off and especially when you consider you have Randle at #1 @ 22ppg taking a large portion of shots.

Now I'm not saying I'm 100% satisfied with this over the hill import's production, theres clearly plenty of room for improvement, in particular the scoring efficiency.

I think you should look at the big issues before picking small things.

Reply #563944 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Just reading a post to say Harrington out of condition what does that make Ere then.
Frustration is Gibbo not wanting to shoot when needed but just get it to Ere who might get one amongst all those bricks.
No good talking about defence because there isn't any.

Reply #563946 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Still waiting...

Reply #563947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't always assume it is the players. Wilson has said that last season he was frustrated as he wanted to be more of a team player but joey insisted he keep jacking it up and we all saw a greedy shooter going it against multiples and turning it over when in reality it was a coaching decision. last night we saw many sixers push the ball around rather than take a shot that was there for the taking but gibbos was the most obvious. the worse thing for me last night was for the 3rd time (nz and cairns game were 1/2) joey stood and watched the gap grow and left it til 2/3 to go to act. Ere a d Dj were obviously tired and gibbo lost it in frustration being handled by big all and again we had creek and Hodgson on the bench. same crap as the beginning os last season and i've had enough already. it is a power and control issue as a coach. peach as well last nigh lost it and needed to come off. unbelievably joeys own tame synopsis from last week about how they won was when he went big early in the 4th which he simply did not do last night and left the press til late and with a too tired group who let sydney get a run on. it seems this happens more in away games and when yorky is not present. perhaps she doesn't have the mate relationship and she can give a little more truth to her advice to coach.worried too we will lose creek if he is left benched in critical times as you could see he was frustrated again and Hodgson too. just sayin

Reply #563950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

marcus that smells to me that joey is making it all about the import you refer to at the expense of everyone else's game which spells disaster and the frustration showed last night. the team is starting to look dysfunctional again like last season and i know that wilson was not happy with joey doing the same with him year with the same result. when you see 1 player with more on the stats than known good players a ross a team that is an issue and a red herring if you think that is a good thing. its actually a warning sign something is up and the wheels are about to fall off. analyse the stats as a whole and watch the game as it is far more complicated than a simple he has more than him.

Reply #563951 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ebi is the only player who can be upgraded due to his import status. He was a bad selection from the get go, all the other team defense issues and whatever else you wrote apply absolutely, but he is the one talent based piece of the puzzle that can be upgraded... again due to him being an import. He has produced much at all on the court and the games he seems to score 10 or more we lose.

Reply #563952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on Kobe...we have 4 issues.

1. Defense - non existent (especially perimeter, been an issue for a long time now).
2. Poor Import
3. Poor Coaching
4. Players not putting in

Potentially problems 3 & 4 are resultant from problem 2. Problem 2 is the most readily and easily fixable. Fix number 2 and then focus on number 1 - the rest should take care of itself!

Reply #563953 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ebi's all-court game has been good the past few games, and he's averaged 11p at 43% (35% 3p) in the past three. If he can improve those percentages just a bit more he'll be delivering exactly what was expected.

Given he's clearly on an up curve from earlier in the season I don't think replacing him is the right move right now. A win tomorrow night will mean the 36ers will be third or fourth at the end of the round with no reason to push the panic button. They should leave that to those fans who thrive in negativity!

The issue is at the defensive end, and that is where the energies should be focused, not on trying to integrate a new import into the team and putting the defensive systems back a step or two in the process.

Reply #563956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi is the number one reason for where we are, regardless of what woes we have on the defensive end (which he is also a passenger on) we just don't have enough fire power on the offensive end. We have Randle and DJ and that’s it, everyone else is either too inconsistent or not getting enough court time. But because Ebi is an import and because he's Joey`s guy he leaves him out there hoping hes going to break out, but hes just too old!

Gibbo needs to worry less about the refs and more about his own game! he doesn't shut up, I know the captain is meant to go in to bat for his team, but every time there is a stoppage he is arguing - AND THEN in the last qtr he was arguing with the ref in game and Harrington slipped past him for an easy basket with Gibbo fouling him for a three point play, but then he went straight back to the ref and kept arguing!

Bottom line we are going to be one of those teams battling all year to try and grab that fourth place on the ladder, nothing higher.

Reply #563962 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

I'd like to see Hodgson used more. Our best rim protector

Reply #563963 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"we just don't have enough fire power on the offensive end."

Averaging 91ppg in the past six games suggests otherwise.

Reply #563965 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Looking at the box Hodgson had 3 turnovers in his 8 minutes, but I have to say I don't really remember them. With DJ struggling to get his shot to drop, it is a bit surprising that he hasn't seen more minutes the last couple of games.

Reply #563971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul patience has run out, just bit more just a little bit. Keep hearing it why not have a guy who can offer a bit more every single game! This is what happens when you mix business with friends. 91 isn't that flash a lot of teams are putting up big scores. We have played 1 good quarter in past 8 against arguably a team which is a rabbles.

Reply #563973 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Why is it automatically a default to negative fan base when we call out a bad import production line. On an upward curve well shit, it has to be couldn't have gotten any worse! Fans aren't here to look at things half full for the sake of it and cheering basketball as the true winner each game. We want wins, we want rivalry and we want the best team out on the court to get behind and bleed love for the club with. We don't have our best team out there At this stage of the season. No panic buttons fine, but this same team will be doing nothing more than making up the numbers come finals time.... Go ahead and press the button then if your that blindly positive about the now!

Reply #563976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My point isn't that ebi or al are 'chiseled'. Yes we can see there is a roundness to their shape. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some guys are naturally more round and having a big bottom is actually an advantage when it comes to physical play. It doesn't mean they aren't fit, as Harrington performance showed. 35 minutes thank you very much for 27, 11 and 5. There's your fitness

Reply #563979 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Al Harringtons position certainly is suited to some extra meat around his lower body. Not expected to run and gun as much as pound it in and back down etc Ebi is a similar body type but is expected to play defuse on the perimeter and run more. Look at how many people were in shock he dunked...

Reply #563981 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think Adelaide probably broke the import budget bringing in a player of Randle's caliber. They are one impact player away from being a serious contender as far as the title goes IMO, but I don't see it happening.

Reply #563986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at Ebi's stats and Gibbo's stats, Ebi is doing similar in less minutes and the last 2 or 3 games has been better than Gibbo imo.

While Ebi has not been as good as i hoped, he isnt the only one down on a bit of form. So harsh to pin it all on him. I blame a few of our aussies more.

I get he is the import who is easier to be replaced, but i dont think he is the major problem for the team.

I would like to see Hodgson, Sobey and Teys play more, which would likely help our defense and effort. If the other guys are not playing with energy put the other guys on.

Reply #563987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The biggest problem is the coach and his poor defensive strategies.

Reply #563991 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"91 isn't that flash a lot of teams are putting up big scores."

Over the past six games Adelaide are actually scoring 91.8ppg, which is number one in the NBL, followed by Illawarra at 91.5ppg.

Your comment that "we just don't have enough fire power on the offensive end" just doesn't stack up.

The highest league scoring rate in NBL history is 90 points per 40 minutes back in 1990. The highest in the professional era is 86 in 2007 and 85 in 2014.

Reply #563992 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Out of interest, over the first four rounds this season the average score was around 82ppg - which is a little below the long-term NBL average - and the average score in the nine games since is 92ppg, which would be a record if maintained for a season!

The breakdown of rounds is:

R1 - 81ppg
R2 - 82ppg
R3 - 81ppg
R4 - 85ppg
R5 - 91ppg
R6 - 96ppg
(after two games)

I don't know what they've put in the water lately but I like it!

Reply #563999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lack in offensive firepower in that we only have 2 guys you can look to for a 20 point game each night...the rest are sporadic in stepping up and putting up 5-10 or so points.

Peach last week was an abnormal anomaly.

Imagine if you had 3 players who can consistently put up 20 points per game. Makes it harder to defend, makes us more diversified, can afford for one of those to have an off night and still be competitive, takes less pressure off the other 2, harder to shut down 3 than it is 2, should I go on....?

At the moment all teams have to do is focus on shutting down or curbing the influence of Randle or DJ and we are done...imagine if there was that 3rd player they had to stop?!

The others are still going to bob up and get there 5-10.

It's about more than total ppg - look at the bigger picture!

Reply #564019 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Scoring is ridiculous and for all those folks who think that this isn't the most talent we've had in the league, the numbers speak for themselves. Globally the NBL would have to be one of the best talent/scoring ratios in the world. Teams aren't scoring because the defense is terrible, teams are scoring because of all the talent on the court.

Reply #564020 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"At the moment all teams have to do is focus on shutting down or curbing the influence of Randle or DJ and we are done...imagine if there was that 3rd player they had to stop?!"

I love it. I could imagine you as Adelaide coach:

"Guys, we are scoring more points than any other team at the moment, but we're giving up way too many. I think you all know what the solution is, we need another scorer."

"But coach ..."

"Ahh. I don't want to hear any of this defence business, look at the bigger picture guys."

Reply #564027 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

AngusH, the funny thing is, around each continent the better leagues are the lower scoring leagues. It's a myth that talent leads to more scoring, because more talent means better defence too.

When the NBL dropped down to 11 teams in the mid-late 90s, and the first generation from the participation boom came into the league, we had the lowest scoring rate of any era despite having the most talent.

Factors like coaching and refereeing have a bigger impact on scoring levels.

I do hope the trend of the past nine games continues though, it's been fun watching these teams going at each other with a real offensive mindset.

Reply #564032 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

How many of those 6 game have we won... stats lie we all know that. The record is 4-5, that wont get it done.

Look Ebi is by far not the only issue, he is one of many, BUT as I keep staying, he is the only player that we have the opportunity to upgrade, PURELY based on the fact he is an import. It doesnt sound fair in a lot of ways, but that is the way the NBL and import positions align. Always has been and its cut throat. By no means am i saying bring in a stud and all is well, BUT it will go along way to making a playoff run, as opposed to being competitive against the top teams and being most of the bottom teams. Its not a personal attack on him his leadership and all that stuff, its purely a business decision I wish the club would make. If there was some awesome Aussie to become available ala Motum last season, then by all means look at other options to cut.... but as is, Ere is the odd man out, as Randle has been superb.

Reply #564036 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"How many of those 6 game have we won... stats lie we all know that. The record is 4-5, that wont get it done."

Exactly, that's why they need to address the defence. That's why they're not getting it done.

Reply #564039 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Agreed, absolutely 100% agree, wether it be full court press strategies more zone, no switching all of it has to be addressed.

But I also think they need to make a roster change. Many would argue offensive power and loads of it ala United put a lot of pressure on the opposition to score themselves, hence helping your defence.

We are basically nursing one of our imports through the season and getting all excited when he scores 12 and gets dunk, unbelievable any other year he would have copped the Tyndall treatment.

Bring in a guy who can score 12 if offense isnt the issue, but can also rim protect etc Plenty of imports can score 12 and also play solid defence.

Reply #564045 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

"Where's all the hypocritical DH's wanting Cotter's head? You fuck wits are so predictable. Guess you are all kissing his arse tonight? Do Damo a favour and stay away. He and the Kings don't need you!!!"

LOL 2-7 record (13-27 overall), and finally a home win against a team that will probably end up in the bottom 4, if they don't make some changes. Whoopee-Do..... far from a kiss-ass effort.

Reply #564047 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Haha Jumpshot I saw that, and just put it down to passion in the moment type stuff, Sadly beating the 36ers isnt exactly job saving stuff, considering the board said they had his back etc

Reply #564052 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

paul, in general I agree with you about the lower-quality leagues being the highest scoring, that's why I specifically mentioned the talent/scoring ration. Teams aren't racking up points because of piss poor defense. We have a small number of teams combined with a quality crop of imports and returning Aussies from Europe. Melbourne is probably one of the most potent scoring teams we've had in the league, with Illawarra not far behind them.

The games (in general, obviously) are being played at a high tempo and players are shooting good % from deep.

Reply #564055 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No doubt, it's been a quality season to date. I'm loving it, and I hope the high scoring of the past 2-3 weeks continues because people who are watching on TV are sitting up and taking notice.

Same thing happened two seasons ago when there were a lot of high-scoring games, only problem being there weren't many games on TV.

Reply #564062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bottom line we are going to be one of those teams battling all year to try and grab that fourth place on the ladder, nothing higher."

Why are people that surprised? We were expected to finish 7th with this roster and since then have upgraded McNeail with Randle. I don't expect us to make the playoffs.

-We have Petrie & Walker at the PF spot. One of them has to start.

-We've got a mildly promising centre in Hodgson not being used at all let alone effectively.

-Gibbo's not interested again.

-One of our imports is a washed up Ebi Ere because he's good friends with the coach and according to some being paid good money too.

-We've thrown our lot in with DJ which means poor defence and losing more than you win. We've only ever had one good season with DJ as a focal point.

-We rely too much on role players.

Reply #564067 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anon im not surprised by it, just really pissed off by it. The way they selected there imports to start things off, had me feeling like they were throwing in the towel. Just how I felt, then I saw Mcneail and grabbed the tissues haha

Reply #564071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, you're an idiot and I never said defense wasn't an issue - it is in fact our biggest issue. Ebi is a major factor in that though as he is too slow, nonathletic and unfit to be able to guard other SG's and SF's in this league.

You can kill two birds with one stone you know!

Total ppg is not the problem, it's where they are coming from and relied upon and how that then translates defensively that is.

I could also go into the positives on how an extra threat not only helps offensively but also defensively from a team perspective but I fear it would get lost on you!

How do you think Golden State won the championship last year?

Reply #564079 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon^
The 36ers have been a terrible team defensively for about 12 years. Most of that time teh results reflected that and we never threatened for play-offs let alone championships.

With Wright's arrival as coach, we've become a high powered offensive team that mostly can get enough points on the board to overcome the poor defence and so make play-offs. But the teams with better defence have beaten us in play-off series.

Beefing up the offence might get us into the play-offs but it won't win the championship. And that's why there has to be a change in how well the Sixers defend.

BTW, only Melbourne and Illawarra are putting up more points per game than the 36ers this season, which supports offence not being a major problem. On the other hand, only Sydney and Illawarra are allowing opponents to score more points per game than the 36ers.

Melbourne and Perth are allowing the fewest, 2nd fewest and 3rd fewest points per game and they're the top 3. Not a coincidence.

At the end of last season, three of the top four were lowest, 2nd lowest and 3rd lowest in points allowed per game. Again, not a coincidence.

Reply #564105 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"How do you think Golden State won the championship last year?"

By being an excellent offensive and defensive team. Adelaide have half of that equation going pretty well.

Reply #564109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No mention of Walker's flop, let alone a complete thread dedicated to it?

Reply #564110 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Possibly because it was called a flop, not a charge?

Reply #564111 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

@paul, when did 'the professional era' start?

Reply #564113 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

The points per 40 minutes of game time measure is interesting.

FWIW, the last 2 seasons have been the highest scoring 36ers' teams since 1991 (in terms of points per 40 minutes in regular season).

This year's team so far is higher scoring than every team since 1991 except the last two and the 2003 teams.

So Joey's teams score more heavily than all three of Smyth's championship teams. I don't think offence is the problem.

Reply #564157 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:40 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754