finals995
Years ago

WNBL Round 6

Fri: Syd(5-2)vs Adl(1-5); SEQ(5-2)vs Mel(3-4);
Per(4-2)vs Dan(4-2).
Sat: UCC(0-7)vs Adl(1-5).
Sun: Ben(5-3)vs Per (4-2); Tsv(3-3)vs Mel(3-4)

Hard road doubles for Adelaide and Melbourne, while Perth host the Rangers and then, just like round 3, have to travel to Bendigo.

Round 6 will complete a third of the regular season.

Topic #38453 | Report this topic

SamCro  
Years ago

Geez, I'm gobsmacked that the last post I made in the WNBL Round 5 Topic was modified/ & part deleted at the request of a paid employee of the TVille Fire! I stand by original post 100%, I was there at the game & there was a complete over reaction by the Fire Coach over a knee brace belonging to Swords! Perhaps the Fire organisation should put more effort in to correcting their shaky start to their WNBL season instead of asking for sanctions on factual comments on the Hoops Website. Perhaps their a little heat struck in North QLD or a little bit precious???

Reply #563764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SamCro, not sure what you thought you might have saw or heard but as somebody who was courtside in an official capacity Swords knee guard was never raised by anyone

Reply #563766 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

^ Is that you Michaela? Well if that's the case why did the Fire ask for the post to be modified in the first place? The Flames Coach also was letting his players know at half time that the Fire Coach was more pre-occupied in talking to the umpires about Swords knee brace than being in his own rooms talking with his own players? #KneeBraceGate

Reply #563769 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Water under the bridge folks, let's move on.:0)

Reply #563784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still quite ridiculous that the post was removed.

Reply #563786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy the post was edited. How precious are these teams with the massive budgets.

Reply #563804 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

I'm at the Lynx on Fri night - I'll post up a report here.

Reply #563930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interview with Kelsey Griffin, Natalie Novosel, Olivia Thompson.

http://wical.tumblr.com/post/133060963128/basket-case-6-griffin-novosel-thompson-huge

Reply #563934 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Must win game at home for Perth against Rangers, they have a tough stretch of road games coming up in Rd 8 & 9 against SEQ & Townsville then Boomers & Rangers.

Reply #563948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news for Adelaide as Kayla Standish joins the team .

Standish is an American import from Ellensburg, Washington who was drafted by the Minnesota Lynx in the 2012 WNBA Draft and has played in the WNBL for Townsville Fire from 2012-14.

Reply #563989 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Yep. And according to Roy Ward Rangers have Cunningham and Clydesdale back for the game. Rangers win last week snapped their 2 game 'wobble' and they would see this game as vital and 'winnable'. But the Lynx have here a golden opportunity to win a season series against a very strong side.

Reply #563994 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Whoa, what's that? Kayla Standish signed with the Lightning?

Reply #563996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://wnbl.com.au/adelaide_news/standish-to-bolster-lightning/

Good news for Lightening also great to see local sponsors prepared to help out the team.

Reply #564012 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Great to see her back in the League! And yes, to the sponsors that made it possible, the League depends on people like them. A tradition continues.

Reply #564022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like some one is helping their child get some extra court time here...

Reply #564025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great addition to the Adelaide team, finally another big to help Ruef on the boards.

No need to start questioning sponsors motives for forking out money to recruit. Although the player you are referring to has been most impressive coming off the bench and making an impact.

Her minutes will increase as she gets more experienced and when Yaeger (also impressive) moves to college next year with Oregon

Reply #564029 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Rangers have Cunningham and Clydesdale back"

D'oh!

(I'm happy to have them back healthy, but they should have waited an extra game before returning, just to be extra safe ;)

Reply #564075 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

On another note, I was disappointed to see last that last round, Sportsbet didn't offer any WNBL game betting, and it's the same this round.
I can bet on Kyoto Hannaryz v Osaka Evessa but not my own team :-/

Reply #564076 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Great to see Standish back, she was really impressive in her first year with the Fire but struggled a little in her second when Suzi came on board. She can create her own shot and has good mobility and size.

Reply #564100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc, sportsbet did offer odds last week mate. They just waited until the final hour before putting them up. I had a few bets on Round 5 last weekend.

Like the over tonight in SEQ Stars vs the Boomers. Last weeks game was a grindfest, think it will be the opposite tonight.

Reply #564120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sydney/Adelaide game must have been a ripper, 5 point win for Sydney at home.

Adelaide should be able to put Canberra away before fatigue kicks in tomorrow night

Reply #564265 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That's a big call. Back-to-back road games is a big ask at the best of times, but in tonight's close game Mitchell & Ruef both played 35+ minutes.
Hope you're right though. Sounds like a real gutsy effort tonight @ Sydney.

Thanks for the Sportsbet note, other anon. You're right - there are some odds up now.
Perth $2.00, Rangers a very generous $1.72. Jumping on that one.

Reply #564273 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Full credit to Adelaide for really contesting for 4 quarters. They were effective in disrupting the Flames offensive rhythm for almost the entire game. Adelaide's collapsing 'D' managed to minimize the Flames height advantage inside and with 5 players scoring in double figures the Lightning weren't going quietly. It was a pretty ugly win for the home team. A better effort in the second half got them across the line. Not sure what to put their flat first half down to. Anyway, more work required.

Reply #564315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Capitals to get their first win of the season tomorrow night vs the Lightning..

Reply #564325 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well, if Mijovic plays like that a bit more often this team could really cause some trouble.
Real nice win tonight by the Lynx.

Reply #564326 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Congrats, a fantastic win for the Lynx. Changes the whole mood of the team for that trip to Bendigo I would think.

Reply #564330 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Bendigo seem to be a bogey team for us, but after winning this game it feels like a "free hit" of sorts travelling over there.

Was strange to see Cunningham not used all game until very late ... far too late.

Sami really seems to enjoy playing the Rangers. Was back to her disruptive best again tonight on defence to go with her 16 very efficient points.

Great to see Carley doing her damage in and around the paint for once. Best game I think I've ever seen her play.

Reply #564339 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Will this round be streamed on the Internet?

Reply #564341 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Wow - Sammy Whitcomb was sensational - her steals were an absolute highlight .
Good game but basically once Perth worked out their defence, it was almost flattering to the Rangers.

Perth really pushed the pace, and it told in the last quarter - though I do wonder if it is going to impact us on Sunday.

Blicavs and Kennedy were excellent for the Rangers however I thought Phillips was underplayed.

Perth however just kept coming. Tomlison has serious wing span and even though she is not the quickest she fought a good battle, both Laney and Lavey were almost trying too hard in the 1st half, but both got going.

Last point Rangers seemed overly concerned with the calls ....to the point where I think they distracted themselves at a critical point in the 3rd qtr. Refs missed a few calls but you lose cred when you are arguing about a travel when you literally tap danced.

However the night belongs to Whitcomb ...shot at 60%, and this really opened up the floor for Mijovic who was also excellent.

Reply #564351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Sydney were flat after their big effort last round, and Adelaide made them work the entire game. Ugly win for the Flames, gutsy effort from Adelaide.

Reply #564427 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not often you see a 0-7 team as $1.30 favourites but that's what the Caps are paying atm vs the $3.30 Lightning.

Reply #564430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was at the Syd v Lightning game last night, and the Syd v Caps game last week. I'll be putting some money on Adelaide.

Reply #564431 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

The question is whether the Lightning have enough left in the tank after last night. They did all share the load, but it is a quick turnaround. I'm leaning toward the Caps in this one.

Reply #564433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Caps can't win this one at home against this inexperienced opponent who is 1-6 and just got done slugging it out last night in a tough contest then they should probably just pack it up for the season and start their Christmas holidays early. This isn't a team of nobodies they are fielding. Supposedly their coach is highly regarded as well. And they will be doing it for Jess Bibby who is about to become the all time record holder for WNBL games played. Canberra couldn't ask for more things in their favour. If they have any trace of self respect then they will win this.

Reply #564438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im taking Caps to get their first win and cover the -5.5 line. This is the game they need the most, to get some confidence back in their squad. Lightning played their little hearts out last night and now travel to Canberra. Bishop, Montgomery, Talbot have to take control of this game and get the W

Reply #564444 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Way to go, Lightning!! :D

Standish 20 & 10 off the bench.

Shame, Canberra, shame.

Reply #564475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is up with Talbot....?

37 minutes 6pts and 5 turnovers.

The shots she took were mainly mid range.

Are Bishop and Montgomery looking for themselves too often and keeping her out of the offense?

Is she hurt?

We need to see more from a player that will likely play 20mins+ in Rio.

Reply #564482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Graf surely has to go....

Go Lightning! Great bench production by the look of it.

Reply #564484 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Montgomery is a chucker. Looks like Bibby was in full chucky mode as well. (which is not unusual for Bibby ... that's her game and it is often very effective) So I guess there weren't too many shots left over for Talbot.
Her low shot count certainly jumped out at me too when I looked over the boxscore. She should not be taking only 6 shots a game unless the D is really trying to force the ball out of her hands (and even then, her team should have counters for that)

Reply #564485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talbot will most likely make the rio team but less likely play 20 plus minutes. Jarry is faster and is among the best three point shooters at wnbl now. She should retain her starter position come rio time

Reply #564506 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Jarry is faster than Talbot? Did Talbot break both her legs today or something??

Reply #564507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Tom Maher use to say that Jarry was the fastest in the whole country coast to coast? Is she still as fast as she was under Maher? Her three point percentage is much higher than Talbot though (56% vs 22%). Both are great balers and should be regular opals in years to come.

Reply #564509 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Jarry is not fast, never has been. Great basketball IQ but not fast, no way.

Reply #564522 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

I knew it would take some time for Standish to fit into the Adelaide team. It took her 24 hours.

Reply #564523 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Perth look like getting a valuable away win over Bendigo, they keep impressing.

Reply #564558 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Jarry was certainly very fast going coast-to-coast before her injuries. Haven't watched her this year to tell if she's slowed.

Reply #564563 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Maybe she has good straight line speed from end to end but that is of limited practical use in a basketball game. You'd never call her quick.
She has plenty of other great attributes to make up for that though, and the fact that she's hitting her jump shots this season is very nice news, as it has been a significant hole in her game.

What a weekend by the Lynx :D
Took care of the Rangers at home, and then knocked off the Spirit in Bendigo - the only team we hadn't been able to beat so far this season.
Another efficient game off the bench by Mijovic. 16 points with 7 FGA, 4 boards and a couple of blocks. Watch your back, Burton, you've got someone gunning for your starting spot.
Really solid looking boxscore for the Lynx today. Lots of contributors, including 9 & 4 from Chilcott. Stoked!

Reply #564566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shall we write caps off for the season already? Also, do you guys think boomers are underachieving given their roster? Madgen is certainly a great player and trying everything to carry her team. But would boomers be better off if she plays 2 rather than 1? Understandably she plays 1 mainly for the purpose of making the rio team. But her handles and turnovers are just worrying as a 1.

Reply #564572 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

End-to-end speed is very useful if you're a rebound and run type player.

Reply #564574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Caps are gone...Lightning in trouble.
SEQ, Flames and Lynx looking like 3 of the top 4.

Reply #564576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is refreshing to see SEQ, Flames, and Lynx are doing so well. But can they really challenge Fire or Spirits come Finals time?

Reply #564577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been to all the Flames home games this season. I think they will have what it takes come the finals.

Reply #564579 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

> Shall we write caps off for the season already?

Well they certainly aren't making the finals from 0-8.

> do you guys think boomers are underachieving given their roster?

There's no shame in losing the Queensland road double of death IMO. With the strength of this league some good teams are going to miss the finals. Maybe Boomers will be one of them but I'm reluctant to say that they are underachieving.
Madgen & Penaluna have been huge but they definitely aren't getting enough help. Kunek & Garrick are talented but very inconsistent. They've both been disappointing for mine, as has Thompson, who seems to have gone backwards this season. Not sure what the go is with her.

> Caps are gone...Lightning in trouble.

Lightning are in less trouble now than they were a couple of weeks ago. They should feel pretty good about how they're travelling IMO, especially considering they're lucky to even exist this season. Excellent weekend pushing Sydney to the limit and then knocking off the Caps. They won't play finals but there's a lot to like about them.

> It is refreshing to see SEQ, Flames, and Lynx are doing so well. But can they really challenge Fire or Spirits come Finals time?

Bendigo don't look the same team to me as seasons past. To me they're just in the same mix as plenty of others, not a level above like they used to be.
Sydney I rate. Maybe not outstanding on paper. How is a team that starts Hayley Moffatt sitting in equal first place? Make-a no sense! But they play great as a unit. Ebzery is first class, Tupaea has come into her own this season, and Swords & Tinkle are a quality combo inside. Plus they're still easing Cox into action as well. A more than handy veteran presence off the bench.

The Fire is still the team to beat, they have talent galore, but they're not invincible this season.

Reply #564581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

>Caps are gone...Lightning in trouble
I was referring to finals contention. I agree the Lightning are playing well at present.
Sydney have a good under-rated bench. Seebohm is good at getting the players playing as a team, and getting the best out of the full roaster.

Reply #564583 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Standish makes a big difference for Adelaide, allows other players to slide down a rung and play roles they're more comfortable with.

Reply #564592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olivia Thompson has lost her starting spot and is very soft for someone that's been in the league for nearly 7 years. Agree Kunek and Garrick are inconsistent. Can still push for finals in my opinion.

Reply #564604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, who u talking about?

Reply #564617 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

WNBL Top 30 by Efficiency

22.9 Suzy Batkovic TSV
21.0 Gabrielle Richards BEN
20.9 Kelsey Griffin BEN
19.9 Elyse Penaluna MEL
18.1 Carolyn Swords SYD
17.9 Katie-Rae Ebzery SYD
17.8 Denesha Stallworth SEQ
17.0 Tess Madgen MEL
16.9 Sami Whitcomb PER
16.7 Cayla George TSV
16.7 Annalise Pickrel DAN
16.0 Lauren Mansfield SEQ
16.0 Louella Tomlinson PER
15.6 Rachel Jarry SEQ
15.5 Stephanie Talbot UCC
15.0 Kayla Standish ADL
14.9 Sara Blicavs DAN
14.4 Mikaela Ruef ADL
14.3 Ify Ibekwe SEQ
14.0 Tahlia Tupaea SYD
13.3 Leilani Mitchell ADL
13.0 Stephanie Cumming DAN
12.8 Joslyn Tinkle SYD
12.6 Tamara Tatham TSV
12.0 Mia Murray TSV
11.9 Kelly Wilson BEN
11.9 Abby Bishop UCC
11.9 Nadeen Payne SEQ
11.3 Betnijah Laney PER
10.6 Belinda Snell BEN

Reply #564640 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

I think Paul was referring to Ruef and Bowen for Adelaide, neither of whom should be expected to compete against all the tall centres in the WNBL this season. Acquiring Standish should also help the development of Bygate, as well as making the Lightning a tougher proposition for all their opponents.

Bendigo Spirit are turning unpredictability into an art-form. They did have a daunting early season schedule. But after the loss at Adelaide, their schedule provided for 2 games at home over 2 rounds. After the win over the Stars last round I thought here they go, finally they're rolling. Again they had a week to prepare for the Lynx who were on the back end of a dbl-header, and look what happened. But how good were the Lynx? It must have been satisfying for Lavey to perform so well (alarming number of turnovers amongst Spirit guards). AFAIC Tomlinson deserves gold and green garments, at least in lead up camps. What a barn-storming Round for the Perth Lynx!

Fire getting the win against a Boomers team not firing on all cylinders and battered by 3 dbl header rounds in a row. What a way to finish a hectic period in the schedule - a Qld road trip ending with the WNBL Champs who are coming off an unprecedented 2 losses in a row. From the play-by-play, just into the 2nd Quarter Boomers go ahead 21-20 off an Oliver fg but from then on only Tess Madgen can score for them and the Fire take a 44-29 lead at the half on the back of a Molloy tech. The circumstances surely enough to draw purple tears.

Reply #564647 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Boomers are missing Rebecca Cole badly

Reply #564735 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

From what I've heard she might be back in the new year?

Reply #564859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #564861 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

*Shock*

Another injury setback for Lauren Jackson.
Now ruled out until next year.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/act-sport/canberra-capitals-news-20151116-gl0oof.html

Reply #565087 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Lauren is effectively retired and has been for 2 years. No way will she get to the Olympics and quite frankly I hope she doesn't. Let some others who have actually played and will continue to play get the opportunity. Only reason she seems to be hanging on is the exorbitant contract that Canberra and BA signed some years ago.

Reply #565109 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That's one of the silliest/most insulting things I've read about LJ for a long time. She's a competitor of the highest order and has given everything to basketball. Get a clue.

Reply #565113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the LJ article:
"Canberra will be without Rosie Fadlevic after her short-term contract finished last week and Tanya Smith's similar deal will end in December."

I have never heard of a short term contract like this? So Canberra only signed Rosie for a half a season deal? Why would something like that happen?

Reply #565131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey LJ. Keep Getting Dem Checks!!!!!

Reply #565150 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

That's very harsh on LJ. She doesn't WANT to be injured.

The Caps woes and the frustrations of her own injury setbacks are combining to make this a bleak scenario for everyone. LJs career and her immense stature in the world of women's hoops, don't deserve the tragic finale that seems to be unfolding.

Batgirl and Hammer scoop the October honours whilst Tahlia Tupaea is awarded player of the round!

Reply #565385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:54 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754