Jumpshot
Years ago

There should be a Reckless Foul

There should be a Reckless fouls just like a charge for Reckless driving causing grievous bodily harm.

Conklin can't just wildly swing his elbows around in the key and then say it's all okay because the intent wasn't there.

Topic #38473 | Report this topic

Tom  
Years ago

I like the idea but needs to be tuned to match the game style.

Reply #564508 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

2 shots, possession and on report.

Reply #564511 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

He is reckless and he doesn't care, and the interviews show he has an attitude problem. Once again he leaves a guy bloody on the deck, and just walks off like he is 'king conk'.

The is an heir of "move out of my way or you will get hurt" about him, and while I don't think his hits are "intentional" as such, I don't think he cares whether or not he knocks your teeth our or concusses you, and that is not right in a professional sport.

He is in desperate need of either a fine, a suspension, or a thunderous Nate Jawai elbow. He thinks he can throw his limbs around with impunity and all he will incur is a few boos.

Reply #564512 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Happy Creek is okay although he looked concussed. Yes I don't think their is intent but as part of his playing style he is injuring people. And in the car with Creek many many players have been pulled up on the swinging elbow and that should continue to be called whether dangerous or not as a deterrent to even do it. There should be a directive to Conklin and all players that flailing arms like last nights will be penalised in future and if an injury occurs then there will be suspensions issued in post game reviews as deemed unsafe. Done.

As a bonus the Sixers crowd are now well practiced for their BOOING of Goulding when he finally arrives at the Arena and although I did not boo last night as I am still a Conklin fan and don't feel their was intent and the issue is about the NBL controlling those issues so he and others stop I am ready to BOO CG43 and yes I hate that title too...

Reply #564530 | Report this post

36ersNayshun  
Years ago

Clearly wasn't intent in either of Conklin's elbow hits the last few weeks, but it's a bit rich when DJ gets called for a foul for swinging his elbows early in the game (and not making contact) but then Conklin decks Creek and there's no foul.

When DJ got called I thought that it was probably an NBL directive to stop dangerous play and encourage players to be more careful swinging their elbows, but when a player did get hurt at the other end and nothing was called I'm confused again.

Reply #564536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckless play = large fine ( $5,000 )

no foul call needed
no report by referee needed
no proof of "intent" needed - as has nothing to do with intentional foul.

just a post game video review by judiciary panel.

fine payment to come from player not club ( difficult to police I know)

2nd time = %5000 + automatic 1 game suspension + $5000 fine to club

3rd time in a season = $5000 fine + 3 game suspension + $5000 to club.

club also needs to take responsibility for a professionals players continued bad behaviour.

reckless play could include

tunneling
flailing arms
attempted trip
push from the rear while in or launching into the air
full speed charge into a set defensive player

Reply #564538 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

PS three game suspension includes NO bench replacement or newly signed player for the club - if game player limit was 12 when the play occurred then the team is down to 11, if there were only 10 players in that game then the club is down to 9 for next 3 games.

Reply #564539 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

will some one get "unfairly" penalised - probably, but it will stamp it out, and if that player was just "unlucky" as opposed to a potential repeat offender, then they should not have to waorry about 2nd and third offense.

Reply #564540 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

There should be a GRONKlin foul IMO

Reply #564545 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Clearly wasn't intent in either of Conklin's elbow hits the last few weeks, but it's a bit rich when DJ gets called for a foul for swinging his elbows early in the game (and not making contact) but then Conklin decks Creek and there's no foul."

You can't compare the two. DJ was on the ground, knew the defender was right there and swung his arms through that space. Conklin was in the air taking a shot, was hit by the defender in front of him and his arm swung while still in the air.

As I said in the other thread, if anyone is going to be suspended from this round it should be Brendan Teys for his take down of Prewster. Teys is a good guy, but that was a dangerous play that was fully intentional.

Reply #564549 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Conk is a little dirty though. Late in the game he set a high screen and stuck out his leg as our player was fighting through. He did not get him but just little things like that build up. Kind of like the way people see Perth get away with a lot.

Reply #564552 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

You can't compare the two. DJ was on the ground, knew the defender was right there and swung his arms through...

Looked to me like Djeric was certainly up-and-in on DJ, but it was still the right call.

Conklin certainly has white-line fever. Anyone else notice Dennis telling him to calm down during a time-out?? Two big hits in a matter of weeks will have people questioning and he certainly needs to be a bit more aware perhaps when swinging his arms around.

Personally I don't think any of the "hits" from the weekend deserve further sanction.

Reply #564553 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Very Old, like it. But I'd make the penalties harsher.

If it happens twice then you can start seeing a pattern, and I'd go 3 games for the second and 12 games for the third.

Reply #564564 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Anon 538 is right on the money.

Paul, putting all emotion aside you can compare the two: Conklin clearly fouled Creek but there was no call against him, and DJ was called for a foul while making an effort to play legally within his cylinder.

Furthermore, most agree that Conklin's actions have been reckless the past two weeks, but it doesn't seem as though he will be disciplined by the league.

Whether it's interpretation or execution, there's a problem with how this kind of contact is officiated.

Reply #564587 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

AFL protect the head. They act on headhigh reckless. Maybe we will in a coupla years.

Reply #564588 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

PlaymakerMo, you can compare the two, and conclude they were in completely different situations which aren't comparable!

Reply #564590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Camel it just makes the NBL look bush league. Conklin would be getting a nice long holiday by now in the AFL.

Reply #564591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When it comes to tribunals the AFL is as bush league as it gets.

Reply #564593 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

There are rules governing all of the things breing raised here. Refs have the rules and he power to call technical fouls for reckless elbows, whether there is contact or not. They don't call it. Excessive contact can be called USF but it usually is not. No new rules are needed. Just enforce the ones that are there.

Reply #564608 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

paul - "Teys is a good guy, but that was a dangerous play that was fully intentional."

This comment sums up basketball fans' doublethink, for mine. A large proportion of fouls in NBL are fully intentional. It has a strong culture of tactical fouls when the defence has been beaten and the offence has earned a dunk or layup. Because these intentional fouls are so frequently treated as incidental contact (i.e., not USF), the risk of one of them creating dangerous situations increases.

The fact that basketball rules, as enforced, mean that teams feel they can gain a tactical advantage by intentionally fouling is why this risk exists at all. It's reinforced by dickheads with microphones praising "good" fouls on TV. This is what bemuses me when people get so upset by 'flopping' but laud this culture of intentionally breaking the rules to get an advantage (i.e., cheating).

Reply #564609 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

With the 'good guy' thing... players may be good blokes off the court but it's hard to compare when they step on court because 1) when it's time to compete the bulk of athletes take on bit of a different persona and 2) they have people (coaches, teammates, owners) telling them what to do, and 3) adrenaline

Reply #564615 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Gees, how funny to see the attitudes swing 180 now the elbow is in the other face.

As I said in the first instance, Conklin is nowhere near his MVP form of last year, he is frustrated, and he demonstrates it with his arm-throwing theatrics. It's essentially his version of flopping, only a lot more dangerous.

The problem the NBL has now, is that that have already set a precedent. By MY definition, his conduct is reckless, but they have already said it isn't.
But don't worry, give it a week, he'll hit Goulding, who will then execute a backwards triple, in the pike position, with a twist, and LK will rub Conklin out for life.

Reply #564624 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^now *that's* funny! Thanks for a good laugh to start the day, Dazz.

Reply #564644 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

They got Brian Conklin stopped, up there, on Highway Five. I heard the Creek fan sayen "I want him dead or alive, either one, I don't care, been blood everywhere."

Reply #564652 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

What throws me was the fact there was no call.
My understanding was players need to be protected by all levels incl refs.
Sure Conklin got fouled. No issue there, but a stray elbow with no call? Bet it would be different if was being reffed by Raoul Kersten (hand over the mic)

Reply #564705 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754