Anonymous
Years ago

NBL on the ABC

Let me preface this with "I know no one watches the ABC but..."

I am not a regular watcher but I managed to fluke seeing Ben Simmons first college game get a look-in on Sunrise this morning.

Just before, they had covered the 36ers nbl win. I don't know if that's a regular thing, but I think that's good news.

ABC's Offsiders showed a clip of Simmons (also good), with nary a mention of the NBL.

I think the NBL should get better treatment on Offsiders. Last year there was an offhand comment that the NBL was in dire straits. But I haven't seen much mention since then.

It has all the hallmarks of benefiting significantly from some media coverage, it's the second most participated junior sport, it's gone through significant change which makes for good talking head fodder, and it's had some genuinely exciting rounds in the last few weeks.

I don't know what the Offsiders' remit is, but the ABC's remit isn't well served by covering AFL, NRL, Soccer, to the exclusion of all else.

IMHO.

Topic #38477 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clinton Grybas did a great job on the ABC a long time ago with Robbo?

Reply #564638 | Report this post

jeff  
Years ago

so what you are asking is the ABC to acknowledge how wonderful domestically the game has been doing after just 2 months of a rescue plight, yet the past decade the wrap sheet is not a good reflection on all the custodians of the game during that time. The offsiders program hosts are experienced sport journo's in this country. They see through all that basketball hype, smoke and mirrors that foxtel and homicide have you believing right now. how about basketball fans and supporters just stick to getting things right for the long term before we start asking for pats on the back.

Reply #564669 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Having wathced that show a few times I don't think those guys are 'general" sports journo's. They are very specific i.e. NRL or AFL or Cricket etc. There doesn't seem to be anyone on there who knows anything about basketball in Australia.

Back when the Lightning were nearly dead I heard one comentator on ABC saying he didn't understand why the 36ers and Lightning didn't just combine and work together. Clearly having no understanding of the differnt entities they are. The leagues they compete in are run by different organisations.
A bit like wondering why the SACA and Adelaide United don't just combine - so they can play the soccer game at Adelaide oval straight after the cricket - to maximise crowds for both!

Reply #564698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me preface this with "I know no one watches the ABC but..."

I only watch ABC, SBS and basketball on Foxtel. Everything about the Australian commercial channels is appalling.

Reply #564802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ditto Anon #564802

Reply #564829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew johnston was the other guy with grybas.

Reply #564838 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:05 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754