Anonymous
Years ago

What grd/sf combo would 36ers fans prefer

Just a thought i have been having would a combo of stephen dennis, ben madgen, torrey craig be better for the 36ers than Randle, Gibson, ere

Im thinking id rather dennis, madgen, craig as they would bring us more athleticism and perimiter defense, dennis is a big point guard who wont be abused defensively, lets face it not many titles are built around a shoot first pg who is under 6 foot as great as randle is. Madgen picks up the scoring lost in losing randle and is a more consistently aggressive scorer than gibbo. I reckon these guys between them could cover the offensive load and be a lot better on defense. Madgen wouldn't be any worse than ere or randle on de the others would be upgrades is my thinking.

What do others think?

Topic #38510 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you've lost your mind?!

Reply #565636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy for people to disagree.

What about my thoughts makes u say that??

U think dennis, madgen, craig can't score the 40 points we r getting from randle, Gibson, ere between them??? (13-14 each)

U don't think its a upgrade defensively???

Other issues??

Reply #565643 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

One issue is that there's no way it will ever happen...

Reply #565645 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I dont know why we always seek a scoring 1. I would go with gibbo, Superstar 2 who can shoot and is atleast 6ft 4. Maybe they are harder to come by?

Reply #565652 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Re : "Superstar 2 who can shoot and is atleast 6ft 4. Maybe they are harder to come by? "

they are actually rather easy to come by, just wait until they are 5 years and 20kg past their best and you can sign them damn easy !

Reply #565659 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I know Craig has done a number on ADL a couple of times but he's really not the superstar import you're making him out to be. He is a solid, valuable import who can break open a game, but doesn't do that regularly.

Reply #565670 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

CG43 would deliver silverwear to the 6ers cabinet.

Reply #565675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not expecting either import to be stars in suggesting them, just both good/solid,

Id just be asking Craig to score around 12 points, shoot the 3 at a decent clip and play defense, not carry the team or anything, think a Andre Iguodala type role.

Dennis id be asking to move the ball, play defense, be efficient, scoring around 12 points think a shaun liingston type role

Madgen would be one of our scorers 15-20 points with DJ, basically just shoot the ball well and score aggressivley and efficiently, which he is capable of

I was just thinking that could be a better combo,

Should be heaps better on perimter defense

Randle is probably more talented than any of these guys, but Randle/Ere is not a great import combo, more to do with Ere, next to Randle if we were to keep him you need a bigger/athletic guard who can play defense, so yea maybe keep him and grab say one of Craig or Dennis, but still have concerns with small shoot first pgs, but Joey seems to love them.

I really used to liek our backcourt when Maher a smaller scoring guard was combine with a bigger more athletic import ie Mee or Farley

Reply #565696 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

You have championship winning guard Erik Burdon on your doorstep

Reply #565711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey always goes for scoring pg's because;

a) Gibson isn't that great a ball handler and when he rests we would also have no one.

b) Gibson isn't a scorer.

c) Not necessarily a bad idea to have 2 players who know how to run the team and the plays.

d) Also opts for the dynamic pg's so he has someone who can create a play when the offense breaks down because Gibbo can't.

Could you get that in a SG, probably, but you would also likely be giving up ball handling and leadership. I can see why Joey goes the way he does.

Gibbo has been somewhat of an anchor for us I reckon and I have been saying for some time he is overrated.

I'd love the 36ers to retain Randle and bring Madgen home - that would be a good 1/2 combo with Teys and Sobey off the bench.

Then get a good import PF to pair with DJ. Start Creek at SF and have him backed up by Walker in high intensity spurts like he played on Wed. Then you would have Petrie and Hodgson backing up the bigs.

OP, IMO...Dennis was a bust (sporadic at best) and Craig is sporadic also - 36ers need consistency. Your suggestion of Madgen is a good one though, can score and what he lacks in defensive ability he makes up for with aggression, hustle and a real passion to win.

Reply #565800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea true,

i agree with the gibbo needs an assetive player next to him, but why not go for a Ced Jackson, D-mac, Mee type, instead of the small scoring pg??

Dennis is a poor mans version of that, given we wouldnt likely have huge $$$ available i thought he would be affordable and an ok option, he also was coming back from a major injury and a few minor ones along the way so he would likely improve over the next couple of seasons if he can have a uninterupted run.

Reply #565838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget Gibson. Won't be here next season, time to move on.

Reply #565938 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

If Gibson is gone next year the Sixers need to get a top Australian player to replace him. Doesn't matter whether it is a Guard, Wing or Big. Just worry about that then the imports.

Reply #565944 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Gibbo will come back if Joey comes back which looks likely. Next season I expect most players to return and the dollars will be there from the beginning with our new sponsorship deal. Unfortunatley we have locked ourselves into longterm deals with average player but this is the price you pay for continuity. The 2nd import would have to be top quality player and Randle has to be a bit more of a willing passer and mover of the ball. The roster looking like:

Johnson / Hodgson / Carlin
Import / Petrie
Creek / Madgen
Gibson / Teys
Randle / Sobey

I feel for us to improve next season that Hodgson needs to improve and get stronger and more consistent. He can develop into a handy rim protector for us and he has NBL starter potential. Sobey needs to get his confidence back that he had in pre-season and then he can grow into his athleticism. Madgen would come off the bench purely because Creek fits better and Madge would play in Ebi Ere's current role and that would be purely to score points.

Reply #565949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Sixers fan, any idea on why Gibbo missed the game against Townsville?

He wasn't injured.....

Reply #566071 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:01 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754