Flinders80
Years ago

How many people does it take to film the NBL

Does anyone have any ideas how many people (excluding commentators) it takes to film an NBL game. I was pondering this whilst reading some technology articles about drones and applications that run them using tracking technology. This had me thinking that in the short future is it possible that film crews could/would be reduced as the cameras (ie the camera's tracking the ball rather than a physical person with the camera).

Topic #38517 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would never work, who would film the cheerleaders.

Reply #565919 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I thought this was one of those light bulb "jokes"

Reply #565929 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Not sure. Count the camera angles (usually 2 baselines (mobile cameras) and one side view) and then add commentators and maybe 3 support guys (2 carrying the cable for mobile cameras and 1 switching signal from camera to camera)?

Might also depend on whether you're recording for later playback or transmitting live. Then you need a broadcast van. Do they need someone in there managing the buttons and someone back in the studio managing that end?

These are just guesses.

Reply #565962 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A few years ago it was a five-camera operation, three on the side and one at each end.

Reply #565964 | Report this post

PHIL  
Years ago

Can't see how you could do it with drones and tracking systems.

Even if you could afford th technology to track the ball how does said technology move with the ball? A good tripod is $1000 + .... If you wanted a tripod with the robotics to move and follow tracking I wouldnt want to guess what it would cost. Would be talking 5 figures before you even put a camera on it. And that's just one. To automate it fully would be insane costs. I'm starting out as a cam assist by the way.

I'm not quite sure why they all have cable wranglers at the moment though. I guess the wireless technology isn't yet trustsworthy enough. Effing hate cable wrangling.

Reply #566053 | Report this post

lolball  
Years ago

i do think one thing we need in the nbl is the cameras on the backboards like the NBA does

Reply #566168 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:21 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754