Isaac
Years ago

Hawks vs Kings, Nov 25

First of five games this round in the NBL. Sydney's only game for the round, while Illawarra host them then the Crocs.

Childress supposedly back, Martin still out and Demos out too. Markovic is game-by-game and Brandt has a fitness test.

Hawks will be very keen to make it a 2-0 round.

Your tip?

Topic #38537 | Report this topic

Matthew  
Years ago

Hawks by lots.

Reply #566437 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Hawks lose this they're in serious trouble I think.

Reply #566439 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Childress is back, but Hawks are bound to be fired up after some tough losses.

But hey, I can't watch the game because I'm playing tonight, so no doubt Kings will take it by 15 and Childress will post a quadruple double.

Reply #566441 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

This is harder to pick than a broken nose.

You would think Hawks would be all over this one like flouro work gear on a Wildcats fan in the Pilbara. Kings stumbling along all season going from one loss to another with as much hope as a boilermaker who left Holden's and has gone to ASC.

The Hawks were average against the Sixers and lacked passion.

The Kings have an opportunity to make things interesting with a win, but desperately need people to step up. The only King really putting in is Prince Jason. Mind you, there's an argument that if they had a better coach.... Oh, BTW, to the Sydney Asst Coach, Devo rang, they want their glasses back.

Talent wise, the Hawks are the Brainiacs sitting at the NBL Trivia table. I understand the Kings will welcome back "Sideshow Bob" tonight and this is the thing that will make it interesting. I think the Kings might be pretty hungry tonight. Although they are bottom of the table, there's not much in the table and a win over those pesky boys from Illawarra might be a real confidence booster.

Last time they met, Hawks won by 14 and Oscar bagged 24. I reckon this one will be a lot closer and while the Hawks should get up, I'ld suggest a few lazy dollars on the Kings to steal an upset late in the game if things go their way.

Reply #566443 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Did Brandt get a knock last game? At least hill might get a bit of a run if he's limited minutes, and maybe we'll grab some rebounds...

sighs...

I'm very nervous about this... Chill coming back could go either way... if he plays like usual, the team should get a boost, but I just have a bad feeling that after his injury and then the suspension he might come out with a point to prove tot he detriment of the team... I'm really hoping not though, as like Jules said in yesterdays SMH article, Harrington was good, but it still threw out their whack a bit to accommodate him... Chill coming back is not just I think a better player when fully fit but a better fit, as we were really relying heavily on Prewster at the 3 and while he did a commendable job, it was a bit much for him to step into his first season...

The Khazzouh/Ogilvy match up will be key, Jules really needs to get a fire lit under him and really be a focus, the couple of games with him and Chill it seemed like they had a really good chemistry, which will be needed, but perimeter defence, with Lisch, Penney, Forman (and the rest of the team that can nail it from outside) will be the big weakness they need to focus on...

I really want to say that my guys will step it up a gear and get the win, but the Hawks always step up for games like this and at home, the first game of the double, and will have had their proper coach on them all week, I can't see them dropping this at home...

Reply #566444 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

If Hawks are legit they imply need to win this game and make a statement at the same time. They have been a little soft for my liking and simply need to finds ways to use all their weapons to their advantage. They have that many dman shooters, if one or 2 is off then go to the third. The Kings god love them try hard and give glimpses but really at this stage are making up the numbers. If Hawks want to get some respect, they have to win.

Reply #566447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Judging by what Oscar Forman had to say re a brutal video session etc (http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/r8-preview-illawarra-v-sydney/) you'd think the Hawks will get this at home, maybe only a Childress masterclass can stop them?

Reply #566449 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I thought Childress was suspended? or is it a case that the games just gone counted towards his suspended games?

Reply #566451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@KingJames or is it a case of you asking questions you already know the answers to?

Reply #566454 | Report this post

His suspension basically amounted to him not being allowed to sit on the bench while he was injured.

Reply #566456 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I didn't know the answer to it hence why I asked but just read it was a suspended suspension.

A roughy multi bet could be
Josh Childress Most points
Melbourne United Win
NZ win
= $18

Childress will need to beat Lisch, Penney and Thornton. Might be unlikely in his first game back is the only problem.
United will be looking for revenge against Crocs
NZ are in good form but always tough to beat Perth in Perth.

A long shot but a possibility.

Reply #566457 | Report this post

36ersNayshun  
Years ago

Childress to sprain and earlobe in second quarter, Hawks run over Kings to win by 8.

Reply #566470 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Speaking of Childress, does anyone know if his contract is longer than just this season? Hes now had 2 seasons affected by injury. Is he in a frame of mind to think 'All this injury isnt worth it anymore?'

Reply #566475 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I would say he is very pro playing. Loves the game and not exactly career ending injuries bad luck type stuff.

Reply #566482 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

@Matt He's signed on for at least another year, from what I know.

Reply #566527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The battle of the of the two bigs will decide this, got feeling jules in for a big one and childress set to go. Kings by 8.

Reply #566535 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hard game to watch at the moment. Stoppage every offensive possession basically.

Reply #566543 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Haha. Awkward in game interview when Matt Campbell kept talking after it ended. Those interviews are gold to watch just to see what muck ups happen.

Geez, how do SYD leave Penney that wide open!

Reply #566545 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Its so funny watching many of these players fail at the fundamentals of basketball

Reply #566549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haters. That was a good half of Basketball. Close lead changes and stars making shots. Modern Family is on if you really dont like it.

Reply #566550 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Kazzouh is one of the most overrated players i have ever seen...does so many dumb things on the court.

I also find it hilarious how the Hawks are so competitive and strong at home, yet absolutely trash on the road..

Reply #566551 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Haters? LOL...watching the Kings at times trying to advance the ball over half way is like pulling teeth.

Reply #566552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh no the 'LOL' has been unleashed...

Reply #566554 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

LOL, the fan poured his beer on Thornton HAHAHAHA

Reply #566556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That fan reminds me of what Marcus Camby would look like for some reason.

Reply #566559 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

That wouldn't be me.

A) I don't drink alcohol

B) I'm a Celtics man.

Reply #566560 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Someone poured a beer on Thornton... yikes. Stay classy, Wollongong.

Reply #566561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dickhead ejected and should be banned for drinking Light.

Reply #566562 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Should be banned from attending games.

Reply #566563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because that guy is a true indicator of the people of the Gong!

Reply #566565 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I was sitting at the Gong with the family of a former Kings player (playing for Canberra at the time) cheering for the visiting team, when a Gong fan threw a half-full coke bottle at the player's mother. So not all that surprising.

Reply #566566 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I missed the first 3 Qs when the Kings seemed to have played OK, so ill take the blame for this one, Kings fans.

Reply #566567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was light beer so neither does the poor culprit!

Reply #566569 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

This Hawks team is sooo funny...So competitive and good at home, yet when they go on the road, they are pure horse sh#t...

Perth absolutely FLOGGED this team as did Adelaide..

That all this POS team does, relies and dies by the 3.

Reply #566570 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Nice 3 Tommy, nearly makes up for running away from AJ's dunk.

Reply #566572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sydney Kings don't win cause they take hero shots and their coach lets them get away with it. Run a play and Khazzouh or Chldress a shot or go inside out. F**K Me!!

Reply #566573 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Meh. Game.

Reply #566574 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't know what the Kings intended to get out of that inbound, but man... into Khazzouh in traffic inside the arc?

Reply #566575 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kings are so frustrating to watch. Seriously, they just implode with brain fades. Carter bad shot selection and just got burnt by Lisch in the most important defensive sequence of the game..don't know how you let Lisch go left. Cardinal sin.

Once again, a lack of a controlling PG/floor general to take over and get things back on track. When it goes rudderless, it seems as though every King is happy to just go along with it.

Reply #566576 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

MACDUB, I think that Markovic was meant to be that guy. Obviously that hasn't exactly gone to plan..........

Reply #566577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had Hawks -3.5 into United so Im happy so far.

Reply #566578 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #566579 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Sydney played a lot better tonight than they have been. If Childress was healthy then they'd be up the ladder - the team is built around him as you saw tonight he played well considering it's his first game back. Khazzouh got outplayed big time tonight.

Reply #566580 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings have flat out gone away from Khazzouh how they were using him to start the year. Far too many stretches where he just doesn't touch the ball. I'd like to see us use Chill how we used Harrington in that one half against the Sixers - the high/low.

Reply #566581 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why would you not foul, or even trap, down three without the ball and a five-second differential?

Reply #566591 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

With you Koberulz, that was odd, shouldve gone the foul game in that scenario.

Reply #566595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the fuck was Father Xmas doing with his beer?

Reply #566611 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Pouring a lil liqueur out for a homie...

Reply #566613 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Looked like his Missus (?) wasn't too impressed either.

I enjoyed seeing Childress back, just missing some game fitness I think, some tough layups he missed that he normally makes (and kept falling over).

Reply #566615 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Childress will be better for the run, he didn't seem to have the same lift as usual. Im sure he will be pretty tired tonight!

Reply #566616 | Report this post

Hogwash 77  
Years ago

That old guy was Tyson Demos' uncle. Or so he jokes on twitter

Reply #566620 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Thorton should have opened his mouth and enjoyed the beer.

Reply #566621 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I think Thornton showed amazing restraint, credit to him.

I'd like to have seen that fellow try that on Ron Artest.

#MaliceinthePalace2.0

Reply #566622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thornton looked a little hot and sweaty. I said bet you wouldn't mind a beer and he appeared speechless but I thought I detected a nod. Thinking his reluctance was shyness perhaps not expecting such hospitality or maybe he was not familiar with the brand I was drinking I perhaps erred in over sharing at that point. What was all the fuss. BTW Hoops is a great site and I love getting on here after a few beers, cheers.

Reply #566638 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Absolutely ridiculous that we live in a day and age where people complain about getting free alcohol! Thornton looked thirsty, he just helped him out. Straya Mate. Only downside was that it was lite beer ;)

Forget Malace in the Palace. This is Beer Spit in the Sand Pit!

Reply #566643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thornton was so calm. I would have thrown a ball in the face of the old guy or done something else dumb and got suspended.

Reply #566644 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I was hoping Thornton might have grabbed the beard and yanked hard...

Reply #566649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha nice try anon but as if a dumb bogan like that would even know how to use a computer

Reply #566653 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That's the funniest thing I've seen for a while. His wife looked mega pissed off

I reckon he could be Father Christmas - comes once a year.

Reply #566655 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

What will happen first? Sydney win another game or the bloke gets out of the dog house. ;)

Reply #566661 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

3 things
1. Hilarious work frombearded bloke
2. What is Markovics "illness" ?
3. Why didn't they pressure the ball on the last play? They just let Lisch whittle down the clock with xero pressure... I understand not fouling, but why the heck Cadee stood a metre off Lisch and let him waste from about 25 secs to 10 or so when they were down 3...? Are they trying to win here or what??

Reply #566665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I applaud Thornton's restraint, I would've broken that mans jaw.

Reply #566667 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

LV, i think Carter was guarding Lisch on that last play wasn't he?

In any event, I agree they handled that horribly. What really frustrated me was that the defender got beat on Lisch's left hand..really costly mistake.

You're usually always taught in those circumstances to play for the steal and then if you can get that great. If not, you can live with the foul.

Sydney, as you said, did neither.

Reply #566675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings went with old guys in Markovic and Carter.

They knew about Markovic's "issues" which haven't been made public, yet still chose to sign him.

I wonder how their record would look or if their play would have improved if they went with the likes of Weeks and Bartlett instead (who were available after the season started).

Reply #566678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Markovic will never play another minute for the Sydney Kings. Done deal.

Reply #566683 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"I wonder how their record would look or if their play would have improved if they went with the likes of Weeks and Bartlett instead (who were available after the season started)."

It is easy to pick players in hindsight. All teams would have picked Markovic and Carter over Bartlett and Weeks

Reply #566684 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LV, non-physical illness. Details not really relevant.

Reply #566687 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It is easy to pick players in hindsight. All teams would have picked Markovic and Carter over Bartlett and Weeks
Bartlett, yes. But several Kings fans were saying they should sign Weeks before Carter was signed.

Reply #566688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Markovic has contributed more in his random tweets during their games when he is not even sitting on the bench and no where to be found than when he steps on the court.

And the Kings have yet to inform the basketball public and their fans why he isn't playing. If he can tweet then he sure in hell should be in a playing uniform.

The kings organisation has really hit rock bottom just like the teams position on the ladder!!

Reply #566689 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anon its a very complicated thing, as a fan all you really need to know is he isnt fit to play. So he isnt playing. Simple as that.

Reply #566692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read between the lines Anon. If it's not physical and everyone is tip toeing around it it's obviously a mental health issue.

Reply #566694 | Report this post

"If he can tweet then he sure in hell should be in a playing uniform. "

Fantastic medical opinion!!

Reply #566695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@KingJames no other team was signing Markovic, a free agent leaving the worst team in the league who missed time with health issues last season.

Reply #566699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty disgusting behaviour by Father Christmas...

Reply #566712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks can't let Weeks go anywhere.

If he gets cut, at least 4 teams try to sign him. If they cut Demos, Ellis or White they don't get signed.

Reply #566762 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

I'd cut White if you have to cut someone.

Reply #566763 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

On putely basketball grounds, Markovic should not have been signed

Reply #566765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jick

On purely basketball grounds, Markovic should not have been signed.

I agree totally and put the blame squarely on the kings suppose it basketball guru Tim Hudson.

Reply #566804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Markovic was benched last season by the last placed team for a variety of reasons.

He's also the same guy that walked out on the West Sydney Razorbacks just before the season started to go to Europe a few years back.

He's got all kinds of issues that the rest of the league is well aware of.

And yet Tim Hudson, who is so way out of his depth it isn't funny, put in his position by a clueless ownership group, thought it was a great idea to sign this guy as the starting point guard?

It's a complete and utter waste of a roster spot and it's doubtful he'll ever play for the Kings again.

Another example of a pathetic organisation making stupid decisions. No wonder this team has been a walking mediocrity for the past five years.

Reply #566867 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Demos and White bring similar things to the table. I'd keep Demos and sign Weeks if that is possible.

Can they sign Weeks as a DP once his term as "injury replacement" is up? Is he eligible, age wise, to be DP?

Last yr Patton was officially a DP for United but in reality he took Mcmillans minutes. If Hawks can organise a similar situation to keep Weeks in the rotation, they should

Reply #566877 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Weeks is too old to be a DP

Reply #566887 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:08 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754