Isaac
Years ago

Beer pouring fan cops season ban

The NBL has slapped a season ban on the spectator who poured beer on Sydney Kings player Marcus Thornton during a game in Wollongong.

Thornton and the Kings received an apology from the corporate sponsor of the box, the NBL said in a statement.
Full story

Topic #38548 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

I was speechless when I saw that incident.
The guy should be ashamed of himself, his mrs clearly was!

Reply #566703 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I thought it was hilarious.

Reply #566704 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

classic that it was in a corporate box.

Reply #566705 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

he was a guest of the hospital whom owned the corporate box, his MRS was wactualy his daughter...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-player-marcus-thornton-gets-beer-poured-on-head-in-nbl-game/news-story/a2d86ea1207ab91dd9a9dea00dc41e14

Reply #566706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Heal having a dig at someone for being out of line .... hello pot

Reply #566707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carer she was.

Reply #566708 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

This story actually made it to ESPN, so well done old timer, you've given the NBL the most publicity it's received in years.

Reply #566709 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

The guy was probably thinking.

"Payback for the 2005 Finals biatches."

He only had one chance to do it and Carpe Diemed it at 83.

Reply #566711 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

If the guy is a guest of the hospital and has mental issues then why is he drinking alcohol? Not a smart thing to do when on medication.

Reply #566713 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Mmm doesn't add up.

Reply #566714 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

An appropriate consequence. Would love to have seen the ear bashing he would have copped outside......

A big lesson here for poindexters not to muck around with the talent on the court. They are professional sportsmen and don't really deserve beer spilt on them. I don't think anyone would appreciate some stranger coming into your place of work and spraying you with (warm, stale) beer.

Reply #566716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You dont know a lot of snakepit history Jack.
The old place had brown outs. Ice thrown over you beer and pee probably. That was only in warmups to. Move on.
So the coins and cigarettes in Greece are ok?

Reply #566718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This isn't Greece.

Reply #566739 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Apparently the guy is a long time employee of the hospital and can't recall the incident.

Reply #566742 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

Gee, I wouldn't want him handing out injections every 5 minutes because he couldn't remember.

Didn't it say he was a guest and the father of an employee.

Reply #566743 | Report this post

""Figtree Private Hospital has apologised to the Sydney Kings and the Illawarra Hawks for the actions of an elderly gentleman who was a guest in the hospital's box last evening," hospital CEO Paul McKenna said in the statement.

“The 83-year-old father of a long-term, valued employee, has some cognitive impairment and does not recall the incident. His family are very regretful of the incident and have indicated they will be making a formal apology on his behalf.”

Reply #566751 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

At the time I thought it looked a little NQR, although it was funny and disturbing at the same time, now it is also sad and something I hope we can look past sooner rather than later.

Publicity was good though, wasn't it...

Reply #566766 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It certainly did go mainstream, which is unusual for an NBL moment.

Reply #566807 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

apparently my work heard if the incident as we are aligned together via healthcare and the gentleman was 83 years old, and couldnt remember due to cognitive issues.

bet he remembered to pick his keys up before he left and didnt leave his wallet with his woman

Reply #566821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me the name of the commentator for this incident? He was brilliant in all he did and deserves his race reviews

Reply #566836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This type of incident is exactly why the foxtel deal is so good. You have live coverage of every game so when things like this happen the world can see. Let's be honest, only the hardcore watch several full games per week but the tv deal ensures that any highlight (or lowlight) in this case is captured and available for news and social media. This is today's world, short snippets and highlights. Whilst it wasn't the greatest incident, let's be honest in world sports it is sometimes scandal or unsavoury incidents that attract the most attention. Conklin elbow on Martin was another mainstream talking point. In the nbls case, any publicity is good!

Reply #566838 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Oh the irony of a season ban for that incident but the leniency of the Conklin/Childress/Jawai incidents.

Reply #566902 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Fair go, Wilson. It's not like Conklin made anyone wet.
Jawai ... yes, fair call. Any contact with him after the 9:25 mark of the first quarter will result in a fair shower.
I never really saw the Childress one. He may be one of those "Say it, don't spray it" type of guys ... we've all experienced one of them ... so I am willing to accept the punishment handed down to him.

I'm glad to see the league cracking down on unsolicited moisture transfer.

Reply #566906 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

"The 83-year-old father of a long-term, valued employee, has some cognitive impairment and does not recall the incident. His family are very regretful of the incident and have indicated they will be making a formal apology on his behalf."

Matthew -->

Whats the point of going to see live sport if you cant remember it after you have been?

Hopefully this becomes a 'thing' between Illawara and Sydney... lets call it the Beer Can match once a year :)

Reply #566908 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Good one Luuuc:) Perhaps Old Man River should have thought about using his elbow instead.

Reply #566911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

83yo lol. Should be in a nursing home

Reply #566920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just glad it didn't escalate, many players would have just lashed out immediately no matter who did it, age etc.

Reply #566935 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

"Whats the point of going to see live sport if you cant remember it after you have been?"

The Kings rely on their fans not remembering anything after the game or they wouldn't have any fans left.

Reply #566942 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Perhaps he imagined that Thornton has stomped on the imaginary signatures of Matt Campbell and Glenn Saville at centre court!

Reply #566948 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Family has apologised.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/family-of-man-who-poured-beer-on-sydney-kings-marcus-thornton-have-apologised-for-his-actions/story-fnug4sup-1227624599008

Kudos to Thornton for the way he has handled it at the time and in the aftermath.

Reply #566972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was the commentator for that game pls

Reply #566982 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Maybe its just me, but I cant but help see the funny side in all this.
Senile old bloke seizing the moment and tipping his beer.
At the end of the day, no real harm was done.

I agree it's not a good look for a professional national league, but we've all seen far sillier things done by blokes with a beer.

Reply #567088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just reminded me dazz where you work or are next and I will tip beer over you in your place of employment or in public. What an idiotic statement.

Reply #567148 | Report this post

Three To Make Two  
Years ago

About some comments above:

He was not an employee of the hospital but the father of one,

He has a cognitive impairment, not a mental illness, so who knows what medication, if any, he is on. And it looked like he was drinking light beer.

I don't know about his keys and wallet, but he did take his beer with him.

83 and nursing home? He looked quite sprightly for an 83 year old everything else considered.I hope I can keep going to games when I'm 83 (whether I remember the game next day or not)

And, yes, Thornton did conduct himself well. You think that he would've been within his rights to lash out, but imagine the fallout if he did then everyone found out it was an 83 year old with cognitive issues. Eddie McGuire would've had a field day!

Reply #567156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I agree he's looking alright for an 83 year old. Such that the commentators thought his daughter was his girlfriend/wife!

Reply #567172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#156 you crack me up young lady

Reply #567182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope he is around in 12 months haha

Reply #567192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows you how cluelesd both commentatores were. No he didnt do it 2as the initial comment and 2nd was his missus is angry. both idiots.

Reply #567209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the commentator seemed to flip between Thornton ' having a beer poured all over him ' to it being an innocuous accident that may not have been the man holding a beer to concluding that it was indeed him and he was pretending it wasn't him. Made for a pretty comical sequence,who was the announcer?

Reply #567236 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'm with Dazz. He flicked a little beer on him. It added to the entertainment value of the night. No real harm done and an appropriate punishment handed down. This is the one time all year an incident has been managed appropriately, right from Thornton's very professional immediate response, to security ejecting him, to the NBL banning him.

Reply #567382 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754