Isaac
Years ago

Crocs vs Taipans, Dec 2

Townsville have just sacked their MVP Brian Conklin, but beat Melbourne the last time they played without him. Schenscher is still out and they're coming off a 38-point thumping in Wollongong.

Cairns have lost their last two and will be keen to bring their record closer to .500 before Adelaide and Illawarra start to extend their gap.

Tips?

Topic #38584 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I tip an empty stadium

Reply #567847 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Tipping the Crocs to get this one.

It's like when a coach gets sacked, generally the week after the Players put in an inspired performance.

Think the same could happen here. Players will want to come out and "prove" that they are good enough to get the win without needing a Conklin.

Kay and Young will have their sights set on out-working. out-hustling the likes of Burston, Loughton and Worthington.

Reply #567852 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cairns by a lot. Too much to play for.

Reply #567869 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Players will want to come out and "prove" that they are good enough to get the win without needing a Conklin."

Except they already did that against Melbourne so they have nothing left to prove.

Reply #567882 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

except for by firing last seasons MVP the Crocs management basically said no ones jobs are safe.

Reply #567887 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

They only lost by 6 to the Taipans last time they met with Conklin.

And from memory paul's analysis/stats suggest they play better without Conklin.

Therefore there's a real possibility of a Crocs win.

Reply #567896 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they lost by 40 points.

Nothing would surprise me with this TVL team anymore ;)

Reply #567897 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cairns are reeling at 4-7 and in danger of dropping off the pace in the race for 4th, after recent losses to the main contenders Illawarra and Adelaide.

I can't see Cairns losing this one.

Reply #567905 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What MACDUB said, Crocs could win or get thrashed by plenty, you just don't know. Most games this year they've been very competitive though, and I'd imagine they'll be fired up for this one.

If the Taipans are for real they get this one though, a loss and they'll probably have to go 11-5 or something similar to make playoffs.

Reply #567906 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I dont know why but my gut keeps telling me the Crocs win.

Reply #567910 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

I agree with MACDUB the Crocs are like a box of chocolates. You don't what you'll get.

I say they come out hard as they lost big Saturday and the Conklin sacking will bring them together. Cairns are an older team but deep which is the opposite to the Crocs.

Reply #567912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns will win if they utilise their advantage which is their front court! Surely Fearney can see the light and pound the ball inside against the smaller Kay andYoung. For some reason he keeps being perimeter orientated and has the worst shooting guards in the league. He has 4 legit bigs who if rotated can keep constant pressure on the crocs rather than pinging away from the perimeter constantly!

Reply #567924 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I was kinda hoping Cairns dropped Craig and signed Conklin. How hilarious would it be to see Conklin coming out and dropping 30 on the team that fired him in the same week.

Reply #567942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I tip that i couldnt give a shit about this game or the club at the moment but i'll go to support the guys on the team. amazing that i could even say that!

Reply #567982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Non of this makes the decision to cut Conk look like a bad idea at all! Yikes what a killer start.

Reply #568053 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Brian who ?

Reply #568054 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

none of CNS starting 5 have scored. Bruce carrying the team with 2.

Reply #568056 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This is nutso!

Reply #568057 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Maybe the 5-blot foul count has something to do with it.

Reply #568058 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Holy wowsers

Reply #568061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dat start doe

Reply #568062 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Welp, didn't see that coming. Great D from Townsville, but at the same time, Cairns don't seem to be actually running anything.

Reply #568064 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Crocs showing so far you cannot underestimate any team in this league. 3 quarters to go though.

Reply #568065 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

In other news, good to see Mitch Norton with the C next to his name, well deserved.

Reply #568066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what is happening in Cairns. Something is seriously wrong behind the scenes what is the goss

Reply #568067 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Haven't heard any goss but I suspect the loss of Mick Downer's cool head and ability to relate to the players is a big factor.

That and losing Wilbekin.

Reply #568074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Fearne is nothing without Downer.

Reply #568076 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kay has a very unorthodox shooting motion... Nice player, though.

Reply #568077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Order has been restored in this league...

The last 3 games...not even competitive HAHAH @ NBL...

Teams dont even bother to turn up...

Reply #568078 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh god, blowout anon is back...

Jordair Jett this game... wow.

Reply #568080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's another Hire in the league with a man bun

Reply #568082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne doesn't even blowup anymore I guess he knows the players won't respond.

Reply #568083 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Jett realised he needed to score 40 per game or else he'd get the sack too.

Reply #568084 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Jett can probably quit shooting those 3s, though.

Reply #568085 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bit of a strange HT interview from Kay - "we want to do it for Conk".

Hmmm

Reply #568088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can someone tell us wtf is going on with both north qld clubs. serious weirdness on both fronts on and off court

Reply #568089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

taipans shots don't even look like going in. a joke to professionalism

Reply #568091 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Fatigue hitting the Crocs this half, don't look like the same team on the defensive end.

Reply #568092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne needs to give the players and opportunity to use instinct and break from plays if they see or feel something they believe in their gut will work. Really hate control freak coaches getting a good team and breaking them. Its not all about the plays. Joey is learning he needs to let his players free and it is working for them. They are smart they work hard and they can play so let them !

Reply #568093 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Both teams ordinary.

Impressive 1st half from crocs. Wortho stopped the Cairns comeback. Lol

Reply #568094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The referees dont even hide what bets they place on games they officiate in.

Reply #568095 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Starks starts the third on fire, Cns makes a big run a Fearne sits him. WTF?! Makes zero sense.

Reply #568097 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I like the aggression Steindl has been showing from deep this season.

Reply #568100 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jett was great from the get go and Cairns were out of sorts

Massive credit to the Crocs. They were locked in defensively and got it done. The team who never dies. The Muggsy Bogues Crocs keep on keeping on.

Reply #568103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys do realise officials and players DO BET on games they play and officiate in...

RIGHT?

Reply #568104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, Taipans acting as if they are trying...

Some of the players are going to collect goo cash after this game for the bets they placed on the Crocs...

Reply #568105 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Uh, no anon, I don't know that. But if you do know it, you should probably reveal who and how because a lot of folks would be interested to know.

Reply #568106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, Tim Donaghy was betting for years and he never got caught by the NBL...

You think the NBL has a better chance of catching cheats than the NBA?

HAHAH..This league is nothing but a cesspool for players and refs to supplement their incomes.

Who is going to catch them? The NBL? HAHAH

Reply #568107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as it would be against their code of conduct for players, coaches and referee's I would be sure of your facts before you start maligning any player or referee.

Reply #568108 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Townsville now has more wins this season than Cairns. It's got to be more than just losing Wilbekin. What is going on up there???

Reply #568109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pathetic hater of all things NBL at it again. Sour sad little person. Crocs came out high on energy and dominated from the get go. That start was amazing, the rest is history.

Reply #568110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cairns lose to Sydney they are done.

Reply #568111 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

What is McLeod's role at Cairns? They've been rubbish pretty much all season, since he went there. In particular, their defence has been rubbish this season - a big change from the last few seasons. I always rated the McLeod's teams' defence but it seems the opposite has happened in Cairns.

Reply #568118 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I loved the Shane Heal/Jordair Jett interview "A lot of people, including me, wondered if they sacked the wrong import."

Right to his face LOL.

Reply #568119 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Said it before, Fearne is the most over-rated coach in the league. Always pointing the finger at everyone but himself. He coached a terrible game tonight - had no answers.
He's done some good things in Cairns behind the scenes and in a development role - that's where he should be used. This franchise won't win a title with him as head coach.

Reply #568121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats because Shane Heal is a grub and trying to be sensationalist to provoke a reaction.

Reply #568125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Fearne is a great coach either but they did make the GF last season and in 2011 so he's come close twice.

Reply #568127 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's highly respected by opponents for how well prepared his teams are. I regularly get comments in interviews about how tough it is to throw them out of their stuff, although the Crocs gave them a good heave tonight!

Reply #568128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing creates disunity like Gordie

Reply #568129 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

What an interesting league we have, each team can look very ordinary and yet all can be very impressive.

In both games today the losing coach should have done a Joey Wright and explode and get a tech foul and try and turn the game back in their favour but unfortunately Fearne and Gleeson will look back and wonder why they didn't... It's hard to work out who was worse.
Wildcats played well offensively in the first half but dreadful defensively and where was the evening up of the foul count? Almost felt like both coaches didn't care enough

Reply #568146 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Aside from glimpses from Craig and Starks, cairns looked old to me last night. Crocs we aggressive defensively and moved the ball well on offense, but cairns just looked a step off the pace.

Their veterans haven't delivered Imo, Trigger and Loughton have been almost invisible this year, Worthington a bit down on previous years, weigh underwhelming as usual and burston has been solid enough but did nothing last night.

At some point too many veterans starts to become a liability, I wonder if cairns need a bit of a clean out next year.

Reply #568149 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Wildcats played well offensively in the first half but dreadful defensively and where was the evening up of the foul count?"

Foul count in that game was 23-20 and free throws were 25-26, so it obviously took place!

Reply #568151 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anonymous making claims about refs and Taipans betting on the game might want to lawyer up.

Reply #568161 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On the game, has Wortho thrown off Loughton and Tragardh? Does the team even consistently go to Tragardh like Adelaide go to Johnson and Illawarra to Ogilvy?

Reply #568162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Isaac - same writing style made the same comments when the Crocs beat Melbourne.

Its amazing the players and officials are risking their careers and jail sentences, and yet they aren't betting enough to move the odds.

If I bet $500 on an NBL game the odds move across the board from $1.90 to $1.85 on average.

Reply #568167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac have you been approached by the league or the club regarding that Anon's comments? Seems like a very unlikely scenario to me, you'd need nearly the whole team to be in on it to play as bad as the Taipans did last night.

Reply #568176 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

The idea that players and refs are betting on and throwing games is ludicrous. If you watched last night's games, it just doesn't stack up at all - Townsville played well and Cairns played poorly. It's not like the refs even had a chance to influence anything!!

Isaac, interesting point re. Wortho. I think Loughton has just really fallen away moreso than Wortho having any impact. Trigger has always come off the bench. That said, his minutes seem to chop and change game to game so maybe that's where the Wortho factor comes in. But Wortho and Burston have been the best in Cns frontcourt this season.

Reply #568178 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

I've been gambling on snooch saying 'Fearne is overrated', I've just put a down payment on a golden toilet......

Reply #568191 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Haha get back to me when Fearne wins a championship

Reply #568223 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

#SnoochBingo JACKPOT!

Reply #568224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King Podge will Taipans still come good? rofl last month everyone realised they stunk and were out of it but you still held out hope stupidly

Reply #568227 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Loughton has been ordinary this season no question. Wortho started well but has looked sluggish of late. I'm guessing Trigger is still a little hampered by his injury, he's not playing too bad but is getting few minutes.

If the Crocs fold, I'd like to see Taipans scooping back some of their young talent like Kay and Steindl to replace some of their veterans.

Reply #568249 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Anon, merry christmas. I hope you grow some balls so you can stop posting as an anon in the new year:)

Reply #568282 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Sting, Kay's got that sneaky range as well. He'll develop into a quality stretch NBL 4.

Reply #568284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans should cut Wortho like Crocs did to Conklin. They aren't any better with him.

Reply #568340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King Podge don't deflect from the question. How are their chances? lol

Reply #568341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't believe Heal said the Taipans have a better roster this season than last season. Yes they signed Wortho but Wilbekin was a much better player than Starks.

Coming into this game last night Starks hadn't hit a three against any team other than the 36ers this season.

Reply #568364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal does less research than Carfino.

Reply #568365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cairns by a lot. Too much to play for."

lol

Reply #568367 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Exactly. Shows a lot about Cairns that they didn't win.

Reply #568371 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I can handle them not winning the crocs are so up and down but they didn't compete, amazing to see.

Reply #568382 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:05 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754