Isaac
Years ago

Ben Simmons vs North Florida

Ben Simmons' statline today: 43 points (15/20 FG), 14 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 blocks, 5 steals.

What!

Topic #38595 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unbelievable! What a freak.

Reply #568292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did LSU win?

Reply #568296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoping they replay that on ESPN tonight. Looks like he took over in the 2nd half

Reply #568297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they won

Reply #568298 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

jezus

Reply #568300 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

LSU won 119-108

Looks like a layupfest for Simmons judging by the shot chart. LSU shot at 64% for the game. Not much D being played by the looks of that boxscore.

Reply #568301 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

LSU won 119-108 over North Florida

FG%
LSU 64.3%
NF 51.3%

3PT
LSU 3/12
NF 19/33

Wow. Just Wow.

Reply #568303 | Report this post

Anoniguy  
Years ago

Simmons to Lakers.. he gotta make it happen Kobe style.

Reply #568305 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh my goodness.

Reply #568306 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Would be a real shame if he landed at the Lakers

Reply #568314 | Report this post

The Captain  
Years ago

Simmons a genuine talent and future star, but lets hold back a little folks.
That North Florida team wouldn't have beaten half of the school teams currently competing at the National Champs in Canberra. They were atrocious.

Good to see Ben taking it up a notch and dominating the contest though.

Reply #568318 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I've got no problem with him going to Lakers without Kobe there.

Reply #568328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ The captain so youre saying half of our school teams would have made it to march madness last year then.

Reply #568331 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

highlights or it didn't happen

Reply #568360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did anyone else on the team shoot the ball ?

Reply #568368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had 18 at the half and they probably should have posted him up more in the first half. The Florida team shot the 3 ball very well in the first half.

Reply #568369 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Considering he only put up 20 shots and the team scored 119, I'd suggest yes, yes they did.

Reply #568370 | Report this post

just ask me  
Years ago

Is that the highest individual score in college this season? Surely the most complete performance!!

Reply #568374 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sounds as though NF were just bombing threes but giving up layups in return.

Can only imagine the length of the film session defensively when you shoot 19/33 from the 3 and lose by 11.

The ol' matador defence.

Is James Harden their coach?

Reply #568375 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Is that the highest individual score in college this season?"

It's not even the highest score this week
(someone had 46 pts & 8 ast yesterday)

Reply #568377 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Simmons game made him the first LSU player to score 43 points in a game since Shaq in 1991.

What makes the performance even better is the rest of his stats aswell.

Apparently he is now $1.14 to be drafted number one, with the odds of any other player being selected at no. 1 out to more than $5.

Reply #568387 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Only major conference player in the last 20 seasons with at least 40 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists & 5 steals in a game.
Spotted this on Twitter:
Shot Analytics has now tracked 48 of Ben Simmons' FGA this season. He's 1-of-12 outside of 5 feet.

Reply #568390 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Freak

Reply #568391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please come to the Pelicans pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

Reply #568405 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Simmons looks completely without confidence when shooting the ball outside the key. I think he'll be fine if he works on it, his actual motion doesn't look broken or anything.

Reply #568436 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

He hit 13-15 free throws, so I think he'll work out his jump shot eventually.

Reply #568488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes a definite tweener, cant play the 3 and in college dominating smaller guys at the 4. How much will he struggle at NBA is the question

Reply #568503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched some of that game last night, he just wants to do everything, even the commentators said you can't peg him to one spot at this level, though is not a reliable shooter to far out. Agree with above poster though, whilst he can dominate in a team like this at this level, he may find it hard playing with men, unless he becomes purely a guard which means he will need to work on his outside shot.

Reply #568509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Relax about his shot - his form and relaese are fine - have you seen how well Blake Griffin shoots it now - compared to when he first started in the pros. Ben has a much neater shot. He has a perimeter game that will only get way better with NBA shooting coaches. He will be unstoppable. Players who cant shoot dont shoot 13 from 15 from the free throw line.

Reply #568511 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just give him time. He's 19!

Reply #568512 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It was a very attacking minded game, NFU came to play, but LSU kept the scoring pressure on them. Ben is still learning and improving, exactly right Paul, he is 19, give him credit for doing what he is doing and accept he will be in the NBA next year...

Reply #568519 | Report this post

Greendogg  
Years ago

It's not whether he will be in the NBA next year. He will and he will be number one pick. He will probably favourite for rookie of the year too. What the main question is....
Will he be ready to play Rotation Minutes for the Boomers and be effective at the Olympics in 8 and half months time?
We need 20 plus minutes a game from him...
I gotta say that I don't see Bairstow, Andersen or Motum doing anything near what Simmons is doing if they were playing College right now.

Reply #568646 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Watching him play his fundamentals at both ends are so faroff what's required at international level, however I imagine he will progress quickly over this season, especially once he plays some decent opposition, and his athleticism will help him cover some flaws.

Reply #568650 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

People are finding a lot of room to complain about what was, statistically, the greatest game an Aussie has ever played in the American college system.

Forget that it was against seemingly weak competition. Bogut, Gaze, all of those guys who did college had a shot against poor teams and didn't pull those numbers against anyone.

The kid is averaging 15 rebounds per game.

So while we sit there and complain that he can't seem to shoot from distance, lets look at what he is already doing - and it is a lot.

Someone told him to be aggressive yesterday. he was nothing but aggressive on court. He see's weakness - he responds.

He is not going to have an issue in the NBA. He might take some time, and he might not be ready to be a main rotation guy at Rio next year. But make no mistake, this kid is a special talent. The kind Australia has never, ever had.

Reply #568655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people got stupid with there expectations of exum so hopefully that doesn't happen with simmons. has a massive high ceiling but hasn't proven anything yet. bullying a weak team is nice numbers but does nothing to address the criticisms about his shooting ability or defence against quality bigs.

Reply #568657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That North Florida team wouldn't have beaten half of the school teams currently competing at the National Champs in Canberra. They were atrocious."

wow what a comment. North Florida would be the champs of Australia.

Reply #568703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he is still too young.

I would rather Motum and Bairstow at PF.

No shot the international game will find him out just like Exum.

Reply #568761 | Report this post

telochian  
Years ago

He's nothing like Exum. I love Exum, I watched every game he has been a part of since the 2014 summer league, but Ben Simmons is on a completely different level. That North Florida, LSU game was sure a strange one, NF shot the lights out and they threw big bodies at Simmons but he went through them like they weren't there. It all looked too easy, strange how transcendent players make it look that way.

Motum, Bairstow.....really??? Nothing against those guys but they aren't even playing the same game. Ben Simmons is something special, He has Lebrons passing game and maybe even better handles, Blake Griffins athleticism, hooks and spins and a shot that he hasn't had to use yet but looks pretty solid to me, more solid than Lebrons, at least he has a straight elbow.

Enjoy it guys, injuries aside, we have an aussie superstar.

Reply #568811 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:32 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754