Jack Toft
Years ago

Hawks v United , Dec 3

Illawarra host United in what will be a very interesting game for a few clubs.

Illawarra have won their last two games and are 4/2 at home. United had a three game choke, but came back strongly for an away win (against Townsville, but hey a win is a win)

Both teams have players playing into some form with this looming as the "Battle beyond the Bulge". Both teams fancy themselves beyond the bulge of the arc. "Spenda" Penney bagged 31 points last game putting up 12 shots beyond the arc, and Oscar threw 7 bricks. Holt and Goulding fancy themselves in that territory too. Goulding has thrown up 115 shots outside so far this season.

I'm a Sixers fan so I'm not used to seeing players shoot from so far out. Melbourne average 29.8 shots per game, Hawks 27.8. I'm getting dizzying just thinking out.

You would think Melbourne should get this pretty easily, but this is the type of game I would expect the Hawks to have pencilled in for a W. Melbourne will hit hard in Q1, then cruise. Hawks have one game this round, so need to weather the storm and run them outta town.

I reckon Melbourne have some sea legs, I'm going Illawarra to barnstorm home with a barrage of 3's and steal this one. Illawarra by 1.

PS Can any Hawks fans confirm they now have beer mops?

Topic #38596 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

Tipped the Hawks for this one. There are going to be alot of 3's in this game.

Reply #568376 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well you were correct about these teams letting it fly from the perimeter. Hawks hitting at a very nice clip so far - better from 3 point range than from 2 actually.
Great to finally see Rhys Martin back in action.

Reply #568402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne so shit on the road.

Are they even a shoo in for the 4?

Reply #568403 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Good ball game thus far.
Let's see what the 2nd half brings.

Reply #568407 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lisch & Kickert both with 19 points at the half, both shooting 3/4 form outside the arc.
Lisch easily beating him on the boards though :p

Reply #568409 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

HT reporter referred to Lisch up again his "former teammate" Chris Goulding.

Correct me if i'm wrong but they've never played on the same team have they? Wasn't Goulding in the GC by the time Lisch came to Perth?

Reply #568412 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Lisch and Goulding played together in Spain last season.

Reply #568414 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Beveridge: "First time this season we've had our full team together."

And somewhere off-camera, Tyson Demos sheds a lonesome tear.

Reply #568415 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Best way to guard the Hawks is play them on the road.

Reply #568418 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Thanks Callisto. Forgot about Spain.

Reply #568421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another night of NBL, another uncompetitive game...

This league is beyond hilarious....

Reply #568422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of players are slipping over in the paint this year

Reply #568423 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ Anon: I guess MElbourne bet against themselves today?

Reply #568424 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Two big season bets I have:

-Hawks top 4
- United minor prem

It's a bizarre night for me because one is looking very good and the other is looking hopeless.

Reply #568426 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Going to be so mad when AJ gets overlooked next year for Boomers 2016 because he will.

Dude is a bloody quality centre. Would take him to Rio no sweat.

Reply #568427 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Majok Majok has been OK for stretches, but this is a prime example of a game where Melb really could've used Warrick earlier and more often.

Reply #568428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry my bad...this game is soooo close, I am on the edge of my seat, I am sweating, I really don't know who is going to win this game...just like last nights games between the Crocs and Taipans and Wildcats and Wildcats...

Oh, how can I forget the other really close game between the Hawks and Crocs last Sat night..

WOW, this league is sooooo close...every night you are on the edge of your seat..

NOT

Reply #568429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In an 8 team comp, you shouldn't be having this many blow outs, you just shouldn't...

Something is wrong somewhere.

Reply #568431 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Adelaide won't be making the playoffs based on these Hawks. They look pretty damn Martin making a bigger influence than I figured he would.

Reply #568432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spoke too soon, blowout troll!

Reply #568433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers 2016?

Delly/Lisch
Mills/broekhoff/Goulding
Simmons/ingles
Motum/Anderson
Bogut/baynes/ogilvy

Ogilvy over jawai
Lisch over Gibson

Reply #568434 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Blowout troll always speaks too soon, and then disappears back into anonymous territory to await the next premature blowout.

Reply #568435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's a mysterious and mischievous creature, blowout troll

Reply #568437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge block

Reply #568438 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Best thing about this season has been the amount of amazing, close games we've seen.

Reply #568439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, you guys get excited when someone makes a little run LOLOL

This league in terms of closeness is absolutely appalling.

Whose turn is it tomorrow night to not bothering to turn up.

Either Sydney or Cairns wont turn up tomorrow...GUARANTEED

Reply #568440 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hear that guys! Anonymous guarantees!!!!!!!

Reply #568441 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cody Ellis can dunk!!!

Reply #568442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the NBL, and we will GUARANTEE on a nightly basis you wont see a competitive game even though their are 8 teams...

Reply #568443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long live the blowout troll.

Reply #568444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know what guys...you are right...I am wrong..

Every night is edge of the seat stuff in this league...If you think otherwise, you are deluded.

Reply #568446 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

You spend a lot of time watching and writing about something you don't seem to like very much.

Reply #568447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holt has been pretty good this season ... but does anyone think Melbourne would have been better served by signing a more aggressive, penetrate-first import guard?

They already have a lot of good shooters. Would they be more potent offensively and tougher to defend if they had Randle, Cedric Jackson or Lisch?

Reply #568448 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

IMO, both United and the Taipans lack a true leader/leaders.

A person/people who can step up, hold players accountable and "stop the rot". Cruise mode seems to be in action instead.

The recent successful teams had your Vukonas, Martins etc. Teams which have players and coaches with that personality thrive in the league.

Great to see the Hawks crowd going nuts!

P.s. DOES KICKERT EVER NOT COMPLAIN! Seriously.

Reply #568449 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Goulding should be the guy attacking the hoop IMO. Holt is a pretty quality player - a shooter yeah, but also a legit PG. Goulding needs to attack the hoop like he did for the Tigers before he went to Spain, he's fallen in love with the big three a little too much.

Reply #568450 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United is not guaranteed to make the 4.

When I explained why last week, everyone shot me down.

What are everyone's thoughts now?

This game v Adelaide on Sunday is worth 2. Because Adelaide is the team who could possibly take United's spot. if United wins on Sunday then they look pretty certain for top 4. But the way they've played over the past few weeks you'd have to say they're only just Luke warm favourites.

Reply #568459 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What killed UTD tonight was 14 to s to Goulding, Holt and Tomlinson. Just when they got back with that spirited comeback, they let themselves down with sloppy execution.

Considering what Illawarra have faced this season with injury, fixture, they look every bit as good at 7 and 6 as United do on 10 and 4.

Reply #568462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lv agreed. Pressure is on Adelaide this weekend too. Tough road double think they need one.

Reply #568463 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hey Blowout Troll, goodbye.

Reply #568472 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^Best post all night goes to Isaac

Reply #568476 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LV, there were near-even odds earlier in the season pitting the Hawks against the Kings for best position at the end of the regular season. I took the Hawks. I think the 36ers' opposite was Melbourne - silly bet then and still risky now.

Reply #568478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the blowout troll, can't we keep him ?

Reply #568481 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I like to think Blowout Troll has an old-school pager that alerts him any time a team hits a double-figure lead, no matter which quarter we're in.

Reply #568484 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I don't understand why United don't use Warrick more? He only played 17 minutes tonight. Are they just waiting for the finals to unleash him?

Reply #568487 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

As I said above, I don't get it either. Especially in the first 5 minutes of the 3rd Q when Melb couldn't get anything going - why not insert the former NBA guy who was playing pretty well prior to that in minor minutes?

Reply #568490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see that after a 9 zip start the Tigers are still shit.

Reply #568491 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say Warrick's minutes are to do with his body. He's not a young man and just third game back from a decent layoff.

Reply #568507 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Can Blowout Troll please use the words Blowout or Blowout Troll next time it posts so we can identify the posts, not that it isn't easy enough already, I would just like to see that handle used...

Amazing league and an amazing season, so many highlights and so many upsets, keep it coming, one of the best NBL seasons I can recall!

Reply #568515 | Report this post

Drewey  
Years ago

@ MACDUB

During and particularly at the end of the game it was Goulding that was complaining the most. During the game at the refs then at the coaching staff in the last minute or so of the game when he was subbed off.

Reply #568517 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Isaac- that's a tough one though because Kings have disappointed for a range of reasons.

I had a TAB $100 free bet early in the season and I was choosing between United minor prem at $3.25 and Hawks top 4 at $2.75. Went with the Hawks :-)

(although I do still have $ on United for minor prem, unfortunately!)

Reply #568518 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Goulding was incredible last night though, such an efficient performance. Reminded me more of his 2013/14 season when he played with real discipline inside an offence (that was run almost completely for him, granted!).

I love the blowout troll best when goes from the foul troll, to the refs troll, to the NBL is a joke troll to the blowout troll in the one game!

Reply #568522 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I love it that Blowout Troll is so consistently proven wrong and ends up with Egg on Face!

Reply #568523 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

We could all meet on Tuesday afternoons over coffee to reflect on our favourite blowout troll moments...

Reply #568527 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754