Isaac
Years ago

Boti: Hawks are considering Conklin

I'm at the pub and too lazy to HTML a link so head to Boti's site for his story. He says they could use some power at power forward but are happy with their current team chemistry.

Topic #38607 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Someone needs to be cut and Bevo doesn't want to do that. So it will come down to ownership if it happens.

Reply #568732 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

How many points do they need to free up?

Chemistry aside Conk in for Davidson is a no brainer with his form this season

Reply #568735 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Seems like the type of player who could slot in without much disruption. If Hawks can afford it then I kinda like the idea.

Reply #568736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks going to be hot with a second import.

Reply #568737 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Points aren't the issue. Mainly $ and coaching staff willing to go through a roster change and mgt wanting to make a change, potentially going through another Gruber fiasco.

I know from outside of the Illa, the Gruber move didn't seem like a drastic move, however a lot of fans were turned off from that move and stopped coming to games. Some have slowly started to come back this season, but do you want to make the same mistake and turn more fans off?

In saying that - I'm all for it.

Reply #568741 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Do the Hawks really need another former NBL MVP :P

If they snared Conklin that would be 3 former MVP's and a likely 4th in Ogilvy. Crazy stuff.

Reply #568746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe then they won't choke down the stretch vs wildcats finally

Reply #568749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't they only have 9 active players ?

Reply #568757 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

1. Martin
2. Lisch
3. Penney
4. Forman
5. Ogilvy
6. Davidson
7. Coenraad
8. Weeks
9. White
10. Ellis

Reply #568759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cut white

Starting five

Martin
Lisch
Penny
Conklin
Ogilvy

Reply #568763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Jackson that was with United has proven he can come in, not disrupt things and add value.

I'm not sure of what Conklin brings to the table when he isn't having an offense ran through him.

Reply #568772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin, on form, is a game winner. Depending on price/points, I'd swap him for Davidson any day.

Reply #568773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Davidson is past it get rid of him

Reply #568774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scary to think Hawks may have 3 former league mvps in the starting five, then with AJ a possible winner this season, all they will need then is to resign them and naturalise both Lisch and conk then get rotnei Clark back, then they will have an all starting 5 of mvps lol, one can only dream.

Reply #568775 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As much as i used to dislike White's game, people should give him credit. He has played really well this year and shown his value. Dare i say it he has sparked some of Hawks better runs this year with his defence.

I would like to see Hawks keep their current roster. They look like they are starting to gel. Everything that glitters aint always gonna shine..adding an MVP sounds great but in reality I think he could take Ogilvy's space away.

Reply #568789 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Conklin in for Davidson would improve them but not as much as the difference between those two individuals. Davidson is still a much better fit.

If they go the second import route, I'd like to see someone who is big, powerful and athletic and a rim protector.

Imagine slotting Ibekwe into their back up Centre spot, for example.

Reply #568814 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Or Gladness.

But having said all that, I like the continuity they have, that fits with the community feel. I'd hate to see Davidson cast out mid season (even though he doesn't really have it anymore).

Reply #568815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was on here hating on White under an anon account for years....

Although he went down to Hobart and did well in the SEABL (i thought he'd get found out) and he has continued that through the start of the nbl.

Fair play to him. He stuck it out through some tough times and improved.

Reply #568817 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Fans wouldn't be happy if they cut Big Laz, a bit of a cult hero. He's only a few games behind Geordie McLeod in games played as well.

Reply #568935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry has been a lot better these past couple of games

Reply #568949 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd suggest he train with them but Conklin's spacial awareness this season with his elbows have been a bit suspect but I think a few training sessions could show what he could provide.

I like the idea of Foreman not feeling comfortable as he has been more hiding in plain sight than Blanchfield this season in many games and I understand that he's shot production has to go down due to superior options around him but when he isn't providing space for Ogilvy to operate in the paint and knocking down threes then what is he doing?

He seems a fairly hopeless defender and with Garlepp as the worst rebounding power forwards in the league, he provides next to no rim protection, I think people overlook Oscar's deficiencies quite a lot and if he feels like he has to prove himself each night to get 15 minutes then that could be what he needs.

Reply #569002 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

White has looked much better with Illawarra than he did in Sydney. Shooting the three with confidence. I still think his D is more reputation than actual effectiveness, though.

Reply #569014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they are worried about back lash replacing Davidson, couldnt they just replace Cody Ellis with Conklin/a import??

Reply #569034 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Yes, i would have though Ellis is the most vulnerable.

Reply #569036 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Best way to deal with fan backlash is to win. Id be cutting Davidson for Conklin in heart beat, make a title run and the fans will come. Its a business after all, I mean its not like your kicking a mate off the social ball team! In the games I've seen, i haven't noticed Larry Davidson doing much of anything at this stage of his career. Conklin could be a great upgrade which is hard to achieve in the NBL with no trades allowed etc

Reply #569052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure if can trust this as Boti sources nowadays downright suck

Reply #569395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With you on this one Kobe24, Davidson doesn't contribute and is an obvious liability on the court.

Reply #569672 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754