Anonymous
Years ago

Time to sack Childress.

Injured left hand. Bye, bye. Let's hope it's not to late to move him on. For someone who played a lot of NBA, his NBL time is more injured on the side lines than games played. At the end of the day he may be a great guy off the court n all that but surely it's all about the w/l column.
There season is shot, they probably now have the worst coach the NBL has ever seen this century and continue to talk up their chances of making the finals. BS.

Is it too late to drop him and replace him?

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/josh-childress-injured-again-as-cairns-taipans-put-bite-on-sydney-kings-20151204-glg405.html

Topic #38613 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

At this point, I don't know that it matters.

Reply #569013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not lose faith, once they move to Homebush they will need someone or something to attract people to that hole.
It's not about making the finals or anything else it's about having a crack at least. Last night's effort was pathetic and highlighted by the ineptness of the head coach and his premature ejaculating appointment by T Hudson. Cotter must be laughing so hard and be happy to be out of such a poorly run place.

Reply #569015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should get the guy from the subway ad. Apparently he is unsigned.

Reply #569016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit early to be judging the new coach, though I agree Cotter must be laughing.

Reply #569027 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

From his courtside demeanour last night, I was very impressed with the new coach, he was focussed on his players, not whingeing to the refs, even though there were some shockers against SYD.

Childress is easily the most entertaining player on the court in NBL (when he is there), he always doing something, he can take it himself or make plays for others. He's very unselfish but at the same time can dominate if needs be. His character and ability cannot be questioned and I think it's unfair to suggest he should be sacked because of his health.

He is the interface between the NBL and the NBA that the league needs.

Reply #569033 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The new Kings coach was upbeat and positive, it's all you can do really when you're losing badly with a bottom team. Although when he speaks he sounds kind of dumb which annoyed me a little

Reply #569037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he aint on the court, it doesnt matter what he is or does. Time to move on. His absence for so long has hurt the club and results terribly.
I am not sure if 100% accurate but playing 21 of 41 available Kings games isn't good enough.
His importance on the court and to the plays they run is undeniably important, however his absences are now a joke, Not his fault I know, accidents happen but please find a player that can see a full season out (that's fit too).

Reply #569039 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"He is the interface between the NBL and the NBA that the league needs"

By that comment I assume you mean the connection that is highly visible and has 'street-cred'. It's clearly not teh only such connection although other connections are less in the public eye and arguably have less 'street cred'. e.g., coaches such as Brett Brown at Philadelphia, Joe Connelly at Kings, Dean Demopoulos at United as well as Nathan Jawai and Kirk Penney as current NBL-ex NBA players, Joe Ingles and Patty Mills as current NBA-ex NBL players etc.

Reply #569041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings season is over regardless so for that reason alone they would be silly to release Childress. The PR fallout, his NBA ties and his positive attitude around the team should keep him there however if I were the Kings I would be trying to get some commitment from him for next season.

If he won't give that then I would look to move on next season. Great player when healthy the best player in the comp by a country mile but his injury last season killed the Kings season and his various injuries this season have wiped out another season. He's good enough that I'd be inclined to give him one more go next season.

Reply #569042 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

If they drop him for this season, they would still have to pay out his contract, I would think. We're more than half way through the season and he was a re-signed import from last season.

No-one else will pick him up while he's unable to play, so they would be stuck with paying him out for the rest of the season (was he a 1-season re-signing?). So they'd gain nothing financially and maybe cop some negative PR by dropping him now. Only potential upsides are:

1. Getting to try out a different import, at whatever additional cost that would carry.
2. Maybe winning a few games (if they get a good replacement) that would otherwise be lost and the decision to sacrifice Cotter due to poor results may not look so unjust.

Reply #569046 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"By that comment I assume you mean the connection that is highly visible and has 'street-cred'."

Generally speaking, yes. The other links you mentioned are just former NBL players coming back from short NBA stints, would be good if Ingles and Mills came and played NBL again but the best thing for them and Australian ball is for them to stay in the NBA as long as possible.

I think one of the best ways for the league to be promoted is by having good/known former NBA players here, such as Childress and already he's convinced his mate Harrington to come for a stint.

It's great from a talent perspective to have any former NBA player but to the casual fan it won't matter much if they were a second round draft pick who averaged 1.6 points.

Reply #569047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever started this topic just won the award for dumbest post in the history of this forum!
NBL is actually starting to get some credibility from other overseas leagues in particular the NBA and you want to sack the guy that has helped create that credibility!
You my friend have absolutely no idea what the NBL needs to stay relevant if you want to sack Childress!
People need to be banned from the forum for starting stupid uneducated topics!

Reply #569063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea having a 'connected' player sitting on the sidelines for over 1/2 the time he has been in Australia. Totally counter productive and a waste of money.
Creating credibility by not playing in the NBL that everyone in the NBA supposedly now rates. That' an even dumber statement.

Reply #569074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to make him head coach

Reply #569077 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

When fit, Childress is the best player in the league.
Simple fact is that if he wasn't aging and getting injury prone, he wouldn't be in the NBL.
This is what people seem to forget with the Childress's and Harrisons. If Past NBA players weren't past playing in the NBA, they'd still be there.
Personally I think they represent good value for the league. When up, they are great players, and lift the standard.
However I do wonder if the increasing compression of the NBL schedule is making it harder for these guys. They could nolonger handle the NBA schedule and previously ours was much more relaxed, but now not so much.

Reply #569083 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

What are the chances of any guy let alone the best in the comp breaking both hands in the same season! Not one of his injuries is age based i.e. soft tissue calves etc Just bad luck this whole thing.

Reply #569087 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

Cant sack him he is the face of the franchise.

Reply #569091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stupid idea to sack him, if he doesn't believe he can suit up or contribute they could mutually void the contract, not like he needs the money. But to sack him would give the nbl another black eye and put off other high quality imports.
With him the kings are contenders of sorts, just have to be healthy and surround him with good local talent, he can recruit the other import.
Plus from what you hear he's been great PR for the team with the city, why throw that away.

Reply #569103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Kings somehow manage to keep Childress next year then FFS surround him with talented players. Time for a cleanout in Sydney.

Reply #569105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah no kidding. bunch of role players on that roster. even lebron would struggle to turn them into a strong team. got to have some talent somewhere for childress to work with. right now I see very little. khazzouh is the only legit talent there and his head does not look in the game for more than 60 seconds at a time. on a good team garleep would be a versatile guy off the bench not a starter. thronton is not a guy who can carry a team. too young, too much responsibility

Reply #569114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No need to sack him in effect his injuries deserve him to be sidelined. Forever.
Injury replacement. Bye JC.

Reply #569159 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Wilson Sting. I agree that Childress playing here and enjoying it has probably given the NBL a better profile as a post NBA option among players with a better NBA career than the Jackson, Jawai types the NBL has traditionally recruited.

As others have suggested though, I suspect that the longer he gets paid for nothing then the more it looks like NBL is a place for brokwn down ex NBA players. Not sure that's a good look for the league more broadly, in the longer term.

that said, as I posted above, I don' see a real gain to be made for the ,Kings by cutting him at this point.

Reply #569247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MIght be a good idea to blood one of next season's import now.

Reply #569253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Childress contracted for the following season as well.

Reply #569267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe so.

Reply #569278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is out of shape sack him and then 6ers can replace our large import

Reply #569326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how injury prone is this guy. unbelievable

Reply #569394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We would all agree Childress NBA credentials has raised the profile of the NBL and while the Kings are benefiting from him being on their team, he was recruited to Sydney to lead the team win games and maybe the championship.

Over the last 2 nbl seasons neither is close to happening and the way he has broken down recently with injuries I say a kings championship lead by Childress is as likely anytime soon.

The Kings are in a situation where they need to make a decision that's best for the team, sponsors and fans. IMO that should be to release childress.

There has been lots of players in the past who basketball fans loved to watch and there will be more high profile player such as childress to play in the nbl that fans follow and the nbl use to promote the game.

Reply #569879 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:29 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754