Dazz
Years ago

Are the Cat's getting Value from Jawai?

He's rumoured to be on big Marquee money, and even if not as big as rumoured you'd imagine he's getting a decent wad. Plus in any event, he's a 9 point player taking up a starting spot.

He's a great character, and an awesome presence on court, I just don't know that the Cats are getting full value.
Indirectly, he is exactly what the Cats wanted: They wanted a bigger front court and a local starting at PF, and with Jawai allowing Knight to play there, that's what they got.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the NBL is the right league for him. He's a bull, his strength is his size, and for better or worse he's not really able to use it under our conditions.

I've never really followed Euro ball. It used to be said that their leagues were more physical and dominated by big guys, but I've no idea if that's still the case.

Nate is only 209cm. He's actually shorter than DJ, and without the leap, and significantly shorter than the genuine 7 footers like Schenscher and Pledger. Rightly or wrongly, if he's not allowed to throw his weight around, he's less effective than those other guys.
People talk about his "condition," but mostly I think it's just his build.

It's not as though he can play big minutes either.

In his earlier games he was starting to grab a few boards, committed far too many fouls, and now seems reluctant to throw himself in there.

I think one of the advantages Perth does have is that between Jawai, Knight, and Jervis, they can block out and wear down someone like DJ.
However we've seen that they struggle against a team like the Breakers, especially with an athletic centre like Jackson.

Topic #38622 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just his build...there is no such thing.

Reply #569202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just his build ... lol!
he is naturally overweight right?
dazz you must be new. go look at some old jawai highlights
he is fat now simple as that

Reply #569204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They would if they start feeding him the ball when he has a deep seal instead of Beal chucking up bricks from the 3pt line.

The fact is they are not using him right.

Reply #569206 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree that we're not making the most of him. If he's going to be out there on the court we might as well make the best of it and find him early and often in the offence. His touch around the hoop is not the best atm but it's not like he's a shot hog. He's a very good passer from the post.
Too often we take ages to get into the offence and we're forced into some perimeter shot without the ball ever going inside. That's not the strength of our players. The few players we've got who can hit the 3 are all far more efficient on the catch-and-shoot compared to creating their own shots.

Reply #569215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian coaches need to learn how to utilise their big men more. The fact is most coaches are not used to having big men in juniors and never learn how to use them properly. Guys like khazzouh, Ogilvy etc should be getting 15 shots a game.

Reply #569224 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perth are doing a good job of utilising him and Matt Knight most of the time. They run patient offence, get the ball inside and then create open looks for others.

If you doubt that, I ask who expected this line-up to be shooting 37% from three?

A lot of the talk pre-season was the Wildcats would struggle because they were unbalanced with no shooters, but they are shooting a high clip because they're exploiting their size mismatches well.

Further to that, Jawai is number one in assists amongst big men, with Knight number six. That doesn't happen if they're not being used well.

Reply #569240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai size is a distraction, he exploits the double very well! Hopefully the league will begin to reward him for good post position when guys simply hang of hin and send him to the line a bit more, refs really need to adjust. He gets called for some real soft ones. Then when he does actually shove someone illegally they let it go cause they blew so many cheapies

Reply #569249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His presence on the court is his strength and opponents weakness.. He draws the double easily and the better games he's played this season comes from his passing ability under pressure.
His ability to shoot on the pivot and from the line lets him down and maybe because of his current physical condition.
He's already had a decent career with seasons in the NBA and Euroleague, represented Australia...
Good on him I say being able to keep playing at this level...is he over paid? probably.... but his experience . . not to many other Aussie big men playing in the NBL currently with a similar resume..

Reply #569264 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Loved" the one against NZ when Jackson ran straight into Nate on the baseline, at a fair rate of knots, causing the ball to pop out of bounds. No whistle. Breakers ball. What the?

Reply #569265 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I am really enjoying this season. We're winning most of our home games, and you can't ask for much more.

As for Jawai's "condition," men tend to get stockier as they age, and he was never a weed. He's an Islander, not Sudanese.
In the NBL, yeah I reckon he could stand to lose 10~20kg. He'd have less weight to throw around, but hopefully more mobility and elevation.

Don't get me wrong Paul, I think the way the Cats have adapted to using him is fine, but that adaptation has come at a cost. Fortunately Prather is now getting some serious minutes, and he's balancing it out, like Ying & Yang.

The problem I have is that Nate is very limited in some respects, and whilst he has the size to balance that out, he hasn't really been able to.
For example, he's too slow on D to go 1 on 1, so he play's more like a one-man match-up zone. He guards the paint and takes the big guys when they come inside. Now he should be able to present an "immovable wall," but the NBL doesn't like that, especially against smaller players.

He seemed frustrated on Friday night and made a couple of silly fouls, including that bizarre cuff to Scobey's face. But usually we just see him get into foul trouble for trying to play what to him must be his normal game.

Reply #569300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone needs to completely posterise him then he may wake up to himself and his weight.

Reply #569381 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That could work if they posterised him and he didn't actually fit onto the poster.

Seriously though, I don't think he actually needs to wake up to anything. He is coming off a really tough couple of years and I'm sure is under no illusions about where his physique should be.

Reply #569385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe not on the stats sheet, but he definitely gives them value on the court. Gives the other guys space on the offensive end, the cats offense would be very stagnant without him!!

Reply #569552 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I think the way the Cats have adapted to using him is fine, but that adaptation has come at a cost."

I wouldn't call being one game off top spot despite being without Martin for most of the season a cost.

Reply #569557 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I think the Cats are using him well enough. They are getting a lot of open looks from three, as a result of him being double teamed and as a result of his good passing skills from the post. He's one of the major reasons they’re sitting second on the ladder.

To the question though- are they getting "value" from him? I tend to think probably not. If you look at what the other “marquee” type local players are producing, some of them are doing a lot more than him for their teams. Think of Goulding, Ogilvy, Penney, or Webster. Jawai is only averaging 21 minutes a game, and that seems to be due to fitness, foul trouble and also because Jervis, Redhage and Wagstaff are more than capable of contributing off the bench and playing front court minutes.

On the foul trouble issue, I thought Jawai got some really *stupid* fouls on Friday night. 3 or 4 of them. I know that hasn’t been the case every game, but he can’t complain about the way he’s being reffed and then become frustrated and give away fouls like those. He needs to learn to play within the rules- whatever they are and however they’re being interpreted.

Reply #569587 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Everytime I see Jawai get the ball in the post, I think he's gonna lose it, or miss. He seems to bang away and chuck it up to the basket hoping it goes in.. but I agree the refs are giving him a hard time.

Reply #569591 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I wouldn't call being one game off top spot despite being without Martin for most of the season a cost.
As I said: "I am really enjoying this season. We're winning most of our home games, and you can't ask for much more."

It's not a question of how well the Cats are doing, nor even whether Jawai has been a positive addition.
The question was whether they are getting full value from their (presumably highly paid) star marquee.)

Reply #569734 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

And I think at this point they are getting exactly what they expected and paid for. If they were running a fantasy team maybe not, because his dream team scores aren't through the roof, but in terms of a real team he's been very valuable and with his best still to come.

Reply #569736 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:42 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754