Isaac
Years ago

Hawks vs Taipans, Dec 9

Illawarra would be confident but wary. A few times now they've blown out a game and let their opponents back in.

No injury news for either team, but Rhys Martin is back for the Hawks since they last hosted Cairns.

Your tip?

Topic #38646 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks without much trouble.

Reply #569930 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Massive danger game for the Hawks. They are the better team with more MVPs than Porsche SUVs in the carpark of a private school.

It's their chance to open a gap between them and the Sixers so that's extra pressure they won't want. Sixers fan will be going for the snakes to get up.

Taipans are no pushovers but are better at home than away. This game is the Hawks to lose and if they do it's no use crying over spilt beer.

Hawks by 9

Reply #569997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks by 50

They will shoot 25-30 from 3 point range. The ones they do miss will be tipped back in by AJ.

The Hawks at home would beat the the greatest USA team ever assembled.

They would dismantle a team of

Curry
Jordan
James
Duncan
O'Neal

They would destroy this team if played at Wollongong.

BUT, when they step away from Wollongong....

They will have trouble beating Manly U16 5th grade.

I have never in my life seen a team that is so unbelievable at home, yet absolutely trash away from home

NEVER

Reply #569998 | Report this post

^ you sound a lot like the resident conspiracy theorist nut case called 'Rostos' from a gambling forum I visit sometimes.

Reply #570003 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Both the first two games between these teams have been tight contests that went down to the last couple of minutes. The last matchup- where the Hawks notched 40 in the 3rd before letting Cairns back in- was particularly memorable.

I tip more of the same. Home team (Hawks) to win in a close one.

Reply #570017 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To moderate anon's exaggerated excitement there, the Hawks' road record is currently better than the Breakers', and one result off Melbourne's.

Reply #570022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frank....who?

Mate, there are alot of conspiracy theorists out there.

Reply #570026 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Hawks are killing the Taipans on mis-matches. Starks on Penney one possession, Loughton on Penney, saw Starks on Forman a few possessions, Weigh on Lisch etc.

Have no idea what is happening there..

Reply #570044 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Is Burston injured?

Reply #570049 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Migraine i think/unwell

Reply #570050 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Damn, what happened to Loughton? He was a top shelf player in the league a few players but he struggles to even make a basket now

Looks massively out of sync.

Reply #570053 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Anyone else from cairns remember TC trying the same 'running over the back of people's chairs' trick back in an August preseason game?

Reply #570055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that'll do it for Adelaide making a run for the playoffs and Joeys illustrious never miss the playoffs routine. Atleast chemistry is not at risk, but no way they will catch a Hawks team playing that well, Joey with the ultimate wingman move by keeping his buddy on board. Hawks are going to be ruthless c

Reply #570061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that'll do it for Adelaide making a run for the playoffs and Joeys illustrious never miss the playoffs routine. Atleast chemistry is not at risk, but no way they will catch a Hawks team playing that well, Joey with the ultimate wingman move by keeping his buddy on board. Hawks are going to be ruthless come finals time.

Reply #570062 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sixers were bottom of the ladder for many years. Then Wright got them to the grand final and last season the semi final. This season they will probably finish 5th. I am happy to take those 3 seasons and see what happens next season.

Reply #570064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This was a 36ers team pre-Randle most had finishing second to bottom if we just miss the playoffs now so be it.

Has anyone heard of a player scoring double figures in a game despite not making a field goal?

Wortho tonight 10pts on 0/2 fg, 0/1 3pt, 10/10 ft, he also had 6reb, 3ast, 2blk, 2stl for good measure.

Reply #570066 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

"Well that'll do it for Adelaide making a run for the playoffs and Joeys illustrious never miss the playoffs routine. Atleast chemistry is not at risk, but no way they will catch a Hawks team playing that well, Joey with the ultimate wingman move by keeping his buddy on board. "

That'll do it?

It's not even half way through the season.

The Hawks are back to full strength, and in fact got a bonus of Weeks for Demos.

The 6'ers just hitting their stride. Last week was an anomaly, playing the 1st and 2nd team away, and narrowly losing to the top team away.

This week we have Townsville twice, 2 wins will see us right up for contending for 4th again.

We have a lot of room for improvement, and I can see DJ, Walker and Ebi getting better as the season progresses. When Hodgson returns, our defence will likely improve too.

If at the start of the season, we were told at Round 10 we'd be in strong contention for a playoff spot, I would take that hands down.

The time for talking about replacing Ebi is over. We're past the contract guarantee deadline, lets all get onboard with Joey's vision and move forward from here.

Reply #570068 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's not even half way through the season.
The halfway point for the league as a whole was during this past round, and Adelaide have played 15 of 28 games. Illawarra and Cairns have both played 14 of 28. There is no measure by which your statement is true.

Reply #570070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns have a good core but will only go as far as their imports take them...

Reply #570072 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Ah drats I was going by Round Number and I thought there were more rounds.

Reply #570076 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The halfway point for the league as a whole was during this past round, and Adelaide have played 15 of 28 games. Illawarra and Cairns have both played 14 of 28. There is no measure by which your statement is true."

If you're going to be a pedant you'd best actually be right. The regular season is 131 days long. This game was played on day 64.

Reply #570083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha! For someone with such an ugly attitude about little details he sure is putting his foot in it a lot here lately. Early symptom of puberty I reckon. Our little guy is growing up.

Reply #570084 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Cairns are definitely done if they lose tomorrow. Illawarra are looking good have gotten better as the season has gone on. Will definitely be tough for the Sixers to catch them I think.

Reply #570092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought the ball should have gone through Wortho a lot more.
He looked like our only positive when things went negative.

Reply #570096 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The Hawks have hit their straps, and in all likelihood will make the playoffs. Perth and NZ will undoubtedly compete for the top 2 spots.

I'm not sold on Melbourne, despite the buffer they have. They're who Adelaide will be banking on to drop a couple of winnable games before all is said and done.

Reply #570114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks looked to have clicked.

Rhys Martin adds a whole new dimension, takes the play making load off Lisch and Penney. Cody Ellis was impressive last night with deflections and several of the 1%ers that are on the stat sheet.

AJ Ogilvy has to be the MVP at this stage, double double, steals, blocks. I'd suggest he means more to Hawks than Webster does for Breakers.

Somehow he was only credited with one steal last night. I can vividly remember at least three.

- The steal for dunk
- One in front of Cairns bench, but then threw a cross court pass which resulted in a TO. It was still a steal though.
- An intercept/deflection theft.
- Also recall a superman dive on a loose to steal possession. Does that count?

Reply #570122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL Statisticians are generally terrible, especially at Hawks home games and Taipans home games. Steals, blocks and assists are often missed.

Reply #570129 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Most interesting thing here was that the Hawks dropped 97 while only hitting 9 threes.

Martin has been great, he's penetrating and dishing, and it’s given them more variety in terms of the way they score.

They’re really clicking and it’s hard to see them missing the 4 now- unless they get some injuries.

Reply #570132 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I disagree... atrocious is a better description.

Reply #570133 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Somehow he was only credited with one steal last night. I can vividly remember at least three.

- The steal for dunk

That's the steal he was credited with.

- One in front of Cairns bench, but then threw a cross court pass which resulted in a TO. It was still a steal though.
He had the ball for a split second. 50-50 whether that was a steal or not, they probably decided it was better to just leave it than give him a steal and a turnover.

- An intercept/deflection theft.

I don't recall seeing anything like that.

- Also recall a superman dive on a loose to steal possession. Does that count?
That was a rebound, Cairns never secured the ball after it hit the rim.

He did get one off Stephen Weigh in the third, which was given to Penney because Penney was guarding Weigh when Weigh lost control of the ball. Presumably they thought Penney deflected it. Not sure it should've been a steal to Ogilvy anyway, Weigh had pretty much already lost it when Ogilvy first touched it.

Ogilvy knocked the ball away from Starks, before Lisch dived on it and Starks dived on Lisch to be called for the foul, and somehow Lisch got credited for the steal there.

Reply #570600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:53 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754