Anonymous
Years ago

Joey Wright re-signs for 3 years as Sixers coach

Well and truly settled in Adelaide with his family and a solid bunch of players and assistants.

Topic #38698 | Report this topic

Good signing. Cops a bit of flack but most coaches do, especially when the teams having an inconsistent run. But a couple of finals series after the club being a joke for a while is a good return so far. Hopefully he can retain some key players and get the momentum up to have a real crack.

Reply #571158 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

This is really great news.

Looking forward to another 3 seasons of playoffs appearances.

Reply #571170 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Has regressed with his results the last 3 seasons, so 3 more is a bit much, but he is well liked by 36er fans so can see why they have resigned him, 2 wouldve been he go with a 3rd as an incentive sort of thing. If future imports are selected with outside help, that'd help his cause.

Reply #571174 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He just needs help with that second import spot, he tends to do pretty bloody well with the first one and then run out of steam!

Reply #571177 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

paul - more likely runs out of money!

Reply #571178 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Good signing and good to see some stability.

Next move is to lock up Randle long-term.

Reply #571188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love this! We'll keep getting worse over the next 3 years and achieve our goals & beat Sydney/crocs for the wooden spoon

Reply #571191 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Good news

Reply #571203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news, some people have very short memories and have forgotten the Clarke years, arguably the worst coach in the history of the nbl.
This signing ensures stability and provides leadership and attractive options for free agents, sure the Ere signing is at best questionable but let's wait until the season wrapup.
What other name coaches are out there without the bandwagon McLeod fans, ask around and find out what salary he was on with the Hawks last year.
Most other clubs would kill to have Joey as coach, let's appreciate that we've signed him up.

Reply #571204 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Good news really. It brings some stability to the club.

Yes Joey has made mistakes in his coaching, but no one is perfect.

Ken Cole made mistakes. So did Phil Smyth, Lindsay Gaze, Brian Goorjian and Brian Kerle.

Hell, even coaches like Pat Riley and Phil Jackson made mistakes when they coached.

Not Marty Clarke though. That man's coaching is legendary in Adelaide..........LOL

Reply #571210 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surprised there are so few comments on this topic. Maybe because the jury is a bit out on the Sixers this season?

Assuming they hold at around 5th spot or better, I think he's done well in a tough league. And it would be interesting to see what changes he makes in an off-season when players might take up Brisbane offers.

Reply #571242 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The Sixers simply could not do any better than this.

Any fan who expects a coach to do much more than Joey has with the tools he has had to work with is delusional.

His results and history speak for itself. Very few better options are reasonably available (if any).

Reply #571257 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Great news! Joey Wright is the best coach in the league. Next year we should have some cash to play with. With Ere leaving, Wilson sponsor and maybe Gibson the money can go to a legit import scoring 2-guard.

Reply #571267 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

"Great news! Joey Wright is the best coach in the league. Next year we should have some cash to play with. With Ere leaving, Wilson sponsor and maybe Gibson the money can go to a legit import scoring 2-guard."

Surely you jest.

With what Shawn Dennis has had to work with your damn sure HE is the best coach in the league.

Reply #571270 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis is doing great with what he's got. However Joey Wright gets results, Shawn Dennis has never made the playoffs as a head coach. Id agree with Toms statement however we need an import big and to keep Gibbo.

Import / Hodgson
Johnson / Petrie
Creek / Walker
Gibson / Teys
Randle / Sobey

Reply #571354 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Joey is a solid coach, but he's getting worst-in-many-years numbers from his 2 best aussies.
He can largely thank Randle for his team having a respectable record atm.

Reply #571356 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Isaac,

If the Sixers finish 5th, would you consider that a 'pass mark (or grade)' for the season?

Reply #571358 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Can someone explain why Sobey has started getting minutes as the backup PG?

We have Randle and Gibson so I can't see why they need to play Sobey more then 5 mins at PG.
He should be playing more SG and trying for more crazy alley-oops :)

Reply #571370 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

maybe planning for life after brisbane bound gibbo ? in regards to sobey getting more minutes

Reply #571375 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Joey is a solid coach, but he's getting worst-in-many-years numbers from his 2 best aussies.
He can largely thank Randle for his team having a respectable record atm."

Is there a correlation between those two? I don't know but Randle doesn't seem like a guy who makes others better.

He's had the same number of turnovers as assists over the past eight games, and when your PG is controlling the ball a lot and producing those numbers it can make it hard for others to get involved.

Reply #571376 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I think keeping Joey is a good move to keep the team stable.
But he needs to do a better job of recruiting a well balanced team.
Having Gibson the last few years and continually signing import PGs is just weird recruiting.
Gibson seems to need the ball to do anything useful on offense, see the majority of games this year for reference of what happens when he isn't the main ball handler.

So signing ball dominate imports has made Gibson somewhat redundant.

Then signing Walker when he appears to be a clone of Creek was also pretty weird.
Neither can create their own offense and are avg eluctant 3pt shooters.

Reply #571382 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

It seems to me that there's a real delusion in Joey's coaching.

Don't get me wrong, he's an upgrade over Clarke, and was probably the best choice based on what coaches were actually available at the time but i haven't been as impressed by Joey Wright coached teams as everyone else seems to be.

Obviously people will point to the Bullets championship as evidence of his ability. I don't necessarily disagree that to win a championship a coach needs to have some sort of idea, but i think it's worth noting that as we all seem to suspect, the Bullets were massive salary cap cheats during a time of unbelievable cheating. This was an immensely talented and experienced team that no half capable coach at the time could excuse themselves for not winning it all if they were in charge of the same Bullets team. That's why i find it interesting that Joey said he believed one or more teams were currently over the cap, yet he happily steered that Bullets team for a number of seasons.

I dont think anyone can say that in the year Adelaide made the grand final, that they didn't do extremely well. Who could disagree ? But they were a big fish in a n incredibly small pond and despite a hard fought home victory in the GF series they were absolutely no match for Perth.

Last seasons team was streaky, undisciplined and unbalanced. It was only the mid and late season additions of a front court pairing that a team like Townsville could only dream of, coupled with the brilliance of Wilson that Adelaide found themselves in a semi final. Of course it was all too foreseeable that Adelaide were easily swept aside in a way that a disciplined and more structured team at least wouldn't be.

This year Adelaide have looked the same and sometimes even completely structure-less and it seems to me that Joey doesn't know what to do when he doesn't have masses of talent and experience to work with. I think Randle has saved Adelaide from being out of contention in a league everyone rightly says is incredibly tough.

I dont think Joeys a bad coach, i think he's an overrated one at the moment.

I think unless Adelaide assemble talent similar to that of Brisbane, we'll just more of the same thing over the next three years. I hope i'm proven wrong though.

Reply #571730 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"But they were a big fish in a n incredibly small pond"

Not at all, I don't think they were close to being the biggest spending team.

Reply #571732 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Well if they managed to assemble a team that was the closest to Perth and ahead of the others in terms of talent without spending as much as everyone else than that's great.

Didn't have much to do with my point about the state of that season.

I think the post Jackson/Lemanis hangover in NZ made it easier for everyone else that season.

Reply #571734 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

"Well, I've coached for 14 years, this takes it to 17 years and I haven't been sacked yet , but I bet I will be." He told nine news last nite.

Reply #571735 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'm not unhappy with the signing, but I think Master Chief is right, Joey is over-rated by some.

He's a good coach who seems to motivate his players well, but I do get frustrated at the seeming inability of his teams to play good defence and avoid being forced into mismatches so easily.

I'd also like to see us do a better job of creating mismatches on the offensive end. A simple pick and pop with DJ and Randle should be able to do all sorts of damage and yet we rarely see it!

With DJ's range we should be slaughtering opposing centres by forcing them out onto the perimeter, but it doesn't happen often enough and they end up punishing us in the paint at the other end!

Action in the above areas, plus retaining Randle and hopefully a little more money invested in a second import over the next 3 years should really put us in position to win a title.

In summary I think Joey can lead us there, but he needs to step his game up in a couple of areas.

Reply #571738 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Master Chief, I think you're re-writing history if you're claiming 2013/14 wasn't a strong year in the league.

Reply #571748 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Paul, i didn't say it wasn't competitive but if you examine both semi finals with the exception of Adelaide's game 2 slump to the tigers, you'd agree that both Perth and Adelaide didn't have to work very hard to cruise through to the finals.

Like i said, the jackson-less Breakers opened up an opportunity for someone else and i think Perth and Adelaide were the only realistic challengers.

Reply #571753 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide had a great season thanks largely to their ability to win a heap of close games.

The 36ers were 11-3 in single figure games compared to NZ's 5-10 and finished seven games ahead of them, while Cairns were 6-9 and finished six games behind Adelaide.

Reply #571754 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not a big fan of Joey. I thought he failed to capitalise on what he had last year, and if this year supposedly is more representative of players he's chosen, then he hasn't done well.

His display in Perth last time, especially trying to lead his team off after he got tech'd, was petulant and unprofessional.

Reply #571756 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Paul, i never said anywhere that Adelaide's success wasn't earn't or that the season wasn't still competitive.

BTW, pointing out how far behind NZ and Cairns were, the two teams who would go on to contest last seasons title, seems to kind of support what i'm saying in a way.

I think a few teams that year were in a state of transition, and like i say it gave Perth and Adelaide a relatively unchallenged path to the final where Perth were far too good. I don't think Joey didn't have an influence on that, but i think a whole range of things made Adelaide's turn around a seem alot more miraculous than it actually was. I only raise this because i think, like i said before, that Joey isn't really a messiah like many claim he is. Especially Boti, who always points to this whenever he can.

I don't think Adelaide have been at a championship level in either of the past two seasons yet everyone seemed convinced they were on track to knock off NZ in the semis.

As beantown rightly says, the defence hasn't been good enough and there's a range of things at the offence end you scratch your head at. And yet there's no sign that its acknowledged by the coaching or that's its going to change. why is that ?

Look, it is what it is with Joey and i hope he does well i just don't think people think about this enough.

Reply #571769 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It wasn't an unchallenged path to the final, they were the two standout teams because they did the little things better than some other talented teams.

I just don't think the 36ers' achievement that season, after being last or second last the previous three seasons, should be diminished. It was a remarkable turnaround and they had to best some good teams to achieve it.

Reply #571776 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Yeah but relatively unchallenged wasn't it ?

I think we were all pretty confident Perth and Adelaide would meet.

Reply #571779 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Also, the point of including Joeys first season wasn't to diminish the achievements but to point out various other reasons that helped form the whole delusion in a way.

Reply #571781 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They were expected to meet at the end of the season after they had been the best two teams, but not at the start of the season.

The only delusion is looking back and making out as if the worst team in the previous three years didn't achieve something great by making the GF!

Reply #571782 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW I'm not saying I think Wright is a master coach, but 2013/14 was one of his best years and a bad example to use.

I think most years he's done well with good rosters, which is no shame, but he hasn't overachieved with his teams very often ala McLeod (many times) or Fearne in 2011 and 2015.

Reply #571784 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

How many times do i have to say that i acknowledge the 36ers did well that year ?

Including year 1 was necessary to form a a bit of an analysis in reflecting his first three years after signing on for another three.

I dont think Joey is as good a coach as everyone seems to think. That's the delusion i'm talking about. No one disagrees that he has had an influence as you constantly keep suggesting.

Reply #571790 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What I'm retorting to is this repeated comment of yours that they somehow had an easy or unchallenged run to the GF in 2014. It downplays their achievement and I don't think it's accurate.

Reply #571794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MC, don't bother nothing you said was unfair just ignore.

Reply #571797 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Not downplay, but realising that what Adelaide achieved wasn't as far out of their reach in the first place when coached by someone who was not Marty Clarke.

Reply #571799 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Of course it wasn't out of reach, but it was still an outstanding achievement, not an unchallenged ride.

I think most of what you say is pretty fair, Wright is a good coach rather than a great one, but that point about 2013/14 is well off the mark for mine.

Reply #571800 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I think when i use words like unchallenged and easy etc it can be interpreted with too much simplicity.

Of course it wasn't unchallenged or easy in the true sense but people must have known how i meant to interpret it.

Reply #571805 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with the general premise. Wright is a good coach, gets results, has a good track record, and is probably the best guy reasonably available. Sixers would be mad to do anything other than sign him up to go around again based on the last two and a half years.

The fact he is he longest serving current coach in the league, and has a pretty good reputation and record, and has been a positive for the club in leading it out of the Clarke wasteland tells you everything you need to know.

Like Wright apparently said, it's no guarantee he won't be sacked in a year's time.

Reply #571806 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha. I get what you meant I just disagree! All good though, I think we agree on the majority of the Wright discussion. In terms of the deal I agree with Kobe24, two years +1 option would have been the way to go. Who knows, that might be what's in the deal anyway.

Reply #571811 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:32 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754