Anonymous
Years ago

SAC training in heat today!! Crazy!

The SA Country junior teams are training in Murray Bridge today when it's over 40 degrees.
Seems crazy that they would hold trainings today considering the hot weather. Is there any duty of care.
As this was also an extra training weekend added to the schedule makes it even more strange. Why add in extra trainings on one of the hottest days of the year!
SAC management might be getting some phone calls as I'm not the only parent who is angry.
Who is responsible for this crazy decision??????

Topic #38711 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Toughen up princess

If those kids weren't running around in a tin shed in Murray Bridge today, they would be running around a tin shed on their farm, or riding their tractors carting hay.

Reply #571448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Toft, you obviously have no idea what country kids do in their spare time and think every kid lives on a farm!!
And I think you will find we aren't in the 1960's anymore mate so you will be hard pressed to find any kids doing that on farms anyway!

Reply #571449 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Coming from an anonymous thats funny

Reply #571451 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good call Sebastian!

Reply #571452 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anonomous / OP(?) Thank you for chomping on that.

As you say, you are an angry parent and there should be a heat policy in place, which is either being ignored, or the people in charge of today are oblivious to. While having a whinge on Hoops is a good way to have your self esteem massaged by other posters plying you with sympathetic compliments about your concern, perhaps your concern would have been better directed at SAC.

If you were truly concerned about your child's welfare, then perhaps you should not have let them trained as you have ultimate responsibility for your child. The coach only has loco parentus in your absence. If that meant they were dropped as a result by a vengeful coach, then perhaps it's not worth being on that team with a coach with megalomaniac tendencies.

Reply #571455 | Report this post

back on the land  
Years ago

Ahh yes , the old days when all we had to do at MB was put a bit of shade cloth over the special "tomato Plants" in the back yard.

Now its either checking to make sure the hydroponic water pumps and the sun lamps don't loss (free) power, or its trying to explain that burying the shipping container isn't going to help the inbuilt "kitchen" one little bit in this heat.

Reply #571456 | Report this post

Years ago

if it is at the school - i think that is air cond

Reply #571457 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Cray cray

Reply #571461 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Depending on court comfort, whether there is AC or not and of course how often the kids get a drink break etc... My thoughts would be they are being conditioned for the Country Cup in Albury/Wodonga in a few weeks time!

Reply #571462 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

At the ACJBC they will be playing in these temperatures all week, ah the memories...

Reply #571463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arguably of a breach of so many OHS rules.

Reply #571504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the temp is 40 + in the shade there is every chance that in a tin shed like Murray Bridge its 50+. Toughen up? Someone said. Wait until your kid dies because of mis management.
Good on you Jack In Toft. I hope you aren't a parent.

Reply #571509 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

You are right with your concerns but you are astray with your actions. Don't let your kid train. You are the parent. Others may follow, or not, that's their call. I personally think you are right if you did stop them from training. It is clearly absurd, AC or not. What will you gain from it? Fitness? Better shooting? Inproved understanding of plays? Nah don't reckon. Some coaches think that if they are extreme that makes them better coaches. Smart coaches make smart decisions, like not training on ridiculously hot days. But it's your call, no one is forcing you or your kid. Parent up and stand by your logic.

Reply #571532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents just need to be parents, what is good for some is not the same for others but the tired argument of " My kid will be disadvantaged "is rubbish . Be a parent.

Reply #571537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour was the extra training yesterday was held because the uniforms weren't ready in time and players needed to try them on before Albury.
Parents paying for SAC's mistake.

Reply #571544 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Jack are you a parent ?

And the 17 year old apprentice who now has permanent kidney damage from working in the heat should have had an advocate, his boss or his family or himself. But like the basketball kids who have trained hard to get their spot and know how fragile their position is with stupid adults who make decisions to train on days, they are worried about the dumb adults putting them in the position where they put their work or position before their health. The power some adults have over kids and young adults is there and why policies are created to be adhered to, to protect people front he idiots of the world who have power.

Have some compassion and more importantly common sense instead of you idiots calling people annons or princesses or farmers kids, school yard bullies with nothing better to do. Some people come on here to get some ideas before they put pen to paper to tackle those with all the power and all you can do is belittle them.. Shame on you all.

Seriously Jack, very disappointed you have not approached this intelligently and you have condoned the seriously dumb statements and attacks and made assumptions about peoples motivations.

Reply #571553 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wait until your kid dies because of mis management.
By the parent. As stated, a parent has ultimate responsibility of their child.

If the stadium wasn't air-conditioned and you deem it unsafe, then withhold your child from training and contact SAC to let them know why.

OP, did you do that?

Reply #571633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both stadiums were Air Cond, maybe still somewhat hot to train in, as the weather was pretty extreme out side on Saturday. but was also cut down to one session rather than 2 Saturday. Thankyou SAC for that. I can see both sides, even though I was sort of hoping it may be called off, but things were done to ensure that the athletes had an air conditioned stadium. My only issue is, and this is more personal, was it was the last weekend before Christmas and most parents contrary to popular belief,,lol have lots to do at this time of year, normally I dont think they actually train on this weekend but for other reasons, this became necessary to get in a second weekend training. (life is not always prefect it would seem) If the parent thinking this was hot to play in, with all due respect to you, but maybe your not wanting to go over to Albury/Wodonga as those conditions have been far worse in my experience and they played through regardless. To All athletes and other parents involved, good luck in Albury lets hope the weather is Kind this year.

Reply #571641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, you are of course correct.

However the other side of the issue is the enormous pressure put on families (with the threat of kids being cut for not attending EVERY session) by coaching staff etc.

Metro have the good sense to cancel trainings on days of extreme heat. Country would be well advised to do the same.

Reply #571643 | Report this post

Years ago

isn't there a policy anyway ?

Reply #571648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day, players and parents were forced to travel down for an extra training weekend (which has never happened before) on the weekend before Xmas because of the SAC office mistake in organising the uniforms.
An apology should be issued from SAC for forcing players/parents to travel down on one of the hottest days in the history of this state to train to make up for thoer mistake.
Couldn't the uniforms just be given out in Albury instead of making players attend a training weekend just to try on uniforms???

Reply #571674 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:55 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754