Jack Toft
Years ago

United v Wildcats, Dec 27

An open air game at Hisense? Better believe it.

Not much you can say about this game. Perth are lazy on the road for "non-essential" games, but beating United is essential. United look cooked in the brain when they played Adelaide and they will need to be in the right frame of mind to stand a chance here. With professional sport being 99% mental, if you're fragile or not in the right mood/attitude, it's going to be a long four quarters.

I must admit I thought the United rotations against the Sixers were part of their problem.

Oh dear, it's Perth's turn to kick a Vic. It's time for Damien Martin to play Father Christmas and give Perth fans a belated Chrissie present.

Forgive me father for I am about to sin....Wildcats by double figures....

Topic #38732 | Report this topic

three points  
Years ago

Perth has had plenty of rest for this game. Should be good to go.Expect Perth's huge frontline to dominate the boards and the United to try to stretch out that big line with guys like Kickert shooting a lot of threes.

Reply #572018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they still going to open the roof for this? The weather looks good over there at the MCG.

Reply #572020 | Report this post

Years ago

warrick should start IMO

Reply #572022 | Report this post

Years ago

BOM forecast is only 20 degrees - 30% chance of a shower. Bit tough considering how good the weather has been for this sort of concept the last fortnight and what is on the way for the new year - but that is the gamble with outdoor games.

Reply #572023 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Roof is open and the stadium is sold out.

Reply #572042 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Someone's getting fired if Melbourne don't win.

Reply #572044 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Roof open in Melbourne...where it swings from rain to sunshine in 2 minutes

Reply #572045 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Lighting looks real weird on TV... hopefully gets better as the sun goes down.

Reply #572046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding is most definitely the biggest flog in the nbl, his flopping makes redhage appear like he plays through everything

Reply #572048 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Can someone at fox please get rid of Dwayne Russel, could not commentate his name out of a paper bag

Reply #572049 | Report this post

chris flopping

Reply #572050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The roof open kind of gives it a "big event" feel.

Kind of like a big Grand Slam tennis match.

What was that late first quarter turnover for by United? Early dagger 3 by Dolla Beal!

Reply #572051 | Report this post

perth finally woke up

Reply #572053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And agree, Goulding is flopping like crazy out there. Stumbling around on very minimal contact. At least Redhage stays on his feet for the most part.

Reply #572054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the **** do you foul deliberately with 9.9 secs left in the quarter, they still had plenty of time to get whatever shot they wanted.

Trust your defense, just cost you 6 pts !!

Reply #572056 | Report this post

floppers better take advantage of all these bogus home town calls

Reply #572057 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Dwayne Russell gets pretty excited when Melbourne do...well......anything really.

Reply #572059 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Hang on, is Tommy Greer putting on a slight American accent?

Reply #572060 | Report this post

Floppers living by the 3.

Reply #572061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess moving under a guy dunking is a legitimate defensive play... will united get called dor anything or are we making ot interesting again....

Reply #572062 | Report this post

Perth's defence is terrible at the minute

Reply #572063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waiting for united to crack. Shooting 61% and on,y up 9 at the half.

Reply #572064 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So we got Goulding his groove back in the 1St, and then Warrick in the 2nd.
Not impressed at all with the Cats giving up 55 in the half. We're not switched on at either end apparently.

Reply #572065 | Report this post

Breakers and the Hawks are the best two teams right now on form. Perth's defence is hillarious

Reply #572066 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Breakers haven't been playing flash of late but just getting over the line apart from the hiding the hawks dished out so can't agree with you there Melbourne Floppers.

Reply #572067 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure if anyone is aware of it, but apparently Nate Jawai is quite large.

Reply #572068 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Has everyone been pronouncing Prather wrong all season or have the commentators decided to change it today?

Reply #572069 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well that was quick :-)

Reply #572070 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

lol call Knight for 3 seconds the very next play after Majok spent 3 minutes in the key.

Reply #572071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats draw the game and out come the refs with the united whistle... pathetic

Reply #572072 | Report this post

floppers getting every bogus call helping them.

Reply #572073 | Report this post

The bullshit one sidede reefing is incridible

Reply #572077 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Whatever happens in the last 2 minutes, this has been a heck of a game

Reply #572078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game ruined, travel? Illegal screen? More like illehal flop, time to suspend Goulding he is a disgrace to the game of basketball

Reply #572079 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not sure why Damo launched the medium range J then. Low percentage option.

Reply #572080 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

These refs are beyond a joke

Reply #572081 | Report this post

look AT THE FLOPPER

Reply #572082 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Speaking of unusual options, subbing Beal out for Hire with 1:22 left in the game?

Reply #572083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well nothing like a loose ball whistle and then we just decide its united posession.... possibly the worst call i jabe ever seen.... behind only the unsportsmanlike against NZ and the no call on beals layup. Funny all these decisions were in Melbourne vs Melbourne...

Reply #572084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um why was that melbournes ball after martins miss. No foul called, ball in dispute.

Reply #572085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gouldings pivot foot moved a long way then.... no travel now?

Reply #572086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And refs spoil it yet again. Clear steal by Martin, and was called a foul.

Reply #572087 | Report this post

downthecorridor  
Years ago

that martin strip was all ball and everyone knew it except the ump. melb cheating again holt also flopped on rebound

Reply #572088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is why united cant win away. Protected species at home....

Reply #572089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How was that a foul on Martin !!!
That's bullshit
Great game but

Reply #572090 | Report this post

ENJOY YOU'RE CHRISTMAS PRESENT FROM THE OFFICIATING MORONS FLOPPERS

Reply #572091 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Classic ref expecting a foul to come. He blow it before even Martin went for the ball.

Reply #572092 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Fun game, but that referee crew... Two of my least favourite guys on tonight, and it showed....

Reply #572093 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Without doubt that ump that made the foul call on Martin at the end, don't know his name, is the worst ump in the league by far, And with the standard of umpiring in the league that's saying something. I cringe every time I see him umpiring a Sixers game

Reply #572094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fun game

Reply #572095 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Don't worry so much about the refs and more about martins lack of shot making ability. That won't win titles.

Reply #572097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth got screwed and I am not even a Perth fan. Attrocious refing

Reply #572099 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I had $50 on the cats and I'm pissed at the cats inability to make shots down the stretch not the reffing. Every NBL game has poor reffing it's just the way it is for now.

Reply #572104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its clearly the refs fault that Goulding was 6/8 from three and the difference in the game.

ps - If Beal shoots 3/6 or 4/6 instead of 1/6 they win the game.

Reply #572106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin clear strp of holt was a bullshit call. Jawai getting killed by the refs for some bogus calls. Jervis and Wagstaff getting called for phantom calls .. the list goes on.

Reply #572107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did hire foul cg43 in the backcourt when cats were down 2 with 31 seconds to go. Silly stuff

Reply #572108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One ref bad call and its all the refs fault. Have a look at how many times that Jawaii travels and all the refs let it be a no call other than the blatant ones.

Reply #572117 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

Perth fans so salty

Reply #572123 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That was one of United's best games of the season. Easily more impressive than a few of their early wins

Goulding shot well but I was most impressed with Warrick's hustle. He was a big part of the reason United competed so well on the boards against the Powerful Cats.

First time Melbourne has put together two halves in a row that were both better than mediocre in... Perhaps 7 or 8 weeks. That's an encouraging sign.

Reply #572124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No not one bad call. No one has explained the call when martin took the shot, ball was in dispute, whistle blown then told United ball. No foul or violation. If it was because holt was on the floor, that's deplorable.

Reply #572126 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Speaking of unusual options, subbing Beal out for Hire with 1:22 left in the game?
Offence/defence. Notice Beal didn't sit down, he went straight back to the scorers table.

Gotta say, if I'd known Corey Williams was going to be on commentary while the refs screwed Perth and Melbourne won, I'd have spent two hours hitting my thumb with a hammer instead.

Wasn't Williams supposed to be leaving the country or something?

Reply #572127 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

I didn't get Gleeson's rotations last night.

Jawai was dominating with buckets and passing it like a PG.

He scored 4 points and had say two assists in the last 4 plays then coach takes him out only playing 5 minutes.

Is it conditioning or is it because he doesn't see the game?

Reply #572136 | Report this post

Jawai was injured last night, had a bad back that seemed to be going into spasms, didn't sit on the bench when subbed off, if he'd been able to play his full role, result may have been different, they couldn't stop him under the basket.

Once again the Wildcats made some poor decisions at times in Melbourne, every time we seemed to make a run we'd take a poor option or make a dumb foul.Outscored 30-11 in the 2nd didn't help either.

In saying that i don't fear United, twice we've lost to them in Melbourne and both times IMO we've played poorly and only just lost.

Reply #572137 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Super game last night, you couldn't script it better, full house, roof open, lots of momentum swings, tight finish, the home team wins and their golden boy is the match winner. Great atmosphere too.

The result itself shouldn't worry Perth, but with each loss the race for top spot gets harder for them. Melbourne now not far off securing a playoff spot, if they can win Weds in Sydney they'll probably only need a couple more.

Reply #572140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A frustrating loss as a perth fan but as per Paul summary above you couldn't script it better from an event point of view - good for the league. I was worried that having an open roof may affect shooting but the game was of a pretty good standard

Reply #572141 | Report this post

Not to worried as a Perth fan, our run home from now is not to bad, only two away games and they are against Cairns on Wednesday and Sydney, and six at home. Should be able to get a good ladder posi out of that.

Reply #572145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth was pretty much the dominante team for 3 quarters. Once again they had a lapse on concentration and they got punished in the 2nd where they got outscored by 13. Other then that they were pretty much in control. Melbourne had a fluke night where they shot the lights out and Perth had a average night..

Reply #572146 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

Coach, with Jawai it is a fitness thing. You can see once he gets winded he starts committing silly reaching in fouls and starts travelling. By the playoffs expect him to be in better shape and even more dominante. He could be the X factor that wins Perth the title.

There is no one in the NBL that can defend him one n one when he is rolling. He is a beast. Once he gets in better shape and can sustain a longer period of dominance he could tear the leaue apart.

Reply #572147 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Meh, you can't give up 30 points in a quarter and 55 in the first half. Perth's famous D just seems to go missing some times. As has been said before, when Damo shoots well, they win championships, otherwise they're effectively an offensive player short. Beal again inconsistent had another quiet night by his standards, had he connected with a few more 3's it would have been a different story.

On the whole, it just shows that the comp is still close, especially amongst the top 4, and finals series are likely to go with home court advantage.
Perth's inability to win on the road is now becoming a worry. Breakers are now pretty much level pegging, and if the Cats go down to Cairns next week its going to make things tough.

Reply #572149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy to have a bet on the Breakers as champions. Unless Jawaii commits to being full fit, that's what you get. Back spasms for sure, but there is a reason for that. Too much weight for instance.

Reply #572151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth dominant for three quarters??? Lucky if they led for 5 mins in total all night. Gotta love Perth fans.

Reply #572153 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Perth didn't dominate at all last night. Twice they've lost to united in Melbourne. Those untied guys keep playing 'fluke' basketball against Perth there haha

Reply #572154 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah I thought Melbourne was the better side for most of the night and deserved to win. When Goulding shoots 6/8 from outside they're not going to lose to many.

Reply #572155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the ref's I tell u. It's the ref's!

Reply #572158 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth outplayed Melbourne for 5 seconds at the end of the 1st quarter, and 5 minutes at the start of the 2nd half. We spent the rest of the game either breaking even or being outplayed.

Reply #572159 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oops, sorry, what I actually meant to say is that we were by far the better team on the night but were cheated out of the victory by corrupt refs and floppers!!!

Reply #572161 | Report this post

wildcats  
Years ago

Daz says Perth inability to win on the road is a concern. Well hello, 6-6 is a very good road record. 2 wins in Adelaide, 2 wins at Hawks and a win at Cairns always tough and Sydney. 2 close loses in Melbourne, 1 close and one blowout in NZ and bogy team crocs lost both up there. NZ, Melbourne and hawks are 3-5 on road, Adelaide 2-6, I would be worried about those teams on the road

Reply #572166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats are good not great. They have serious offensive deficciancies with Martin being allowed to take as many shots as he likes. He has a decent style but he couldnt hit the ocean. Its the Breakers title to lose at this point, no matter how many salty cats supporters try to say otherwise based on hope not logic. Jawai is seriously out of shape and will struggle with the speed of the game as the playoffs go up a notch.

Reply #572168 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes, so we have lost BOTH road games against Melbourne, and BOTH against NZ. The two teams most likely to present challenges in the finals. That means for Perth to have a chance they need to finish on top, and a game clear of NZ.

Reply #572170 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

Perth did beat the hawks at home twice, they're the team in the top 4 that no one wants a part come the pointy end of the season

Reply #572171 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

I understand Jawai's back spasms and fitness etc. traveling and fouls when fatigued is a concern if that's right especially traveling.

Surprised he is not match fit half way through the year.

My point I was trying to raise was when he was hot with his scoring and assists why not milk it while you can be it another few minutes or so rather than take out what is working then to maybe sub him as a premeditated move. I was just surprised they took him out that early. I thought they could have built a larger buffer than maybe look to go to their press to change it up.

But I Would like to think an athlete in his country's highest level of play could play 30-40 mins a night without needing to reach for the oxygen tank.

Reply #572176 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Oops, sorry, what I actually meant to say is that we were by far the better team on the night but were cheated out of the victory by corrupt refs and floppers!!!"

I'm glad you've finally come to your senses Luuuc. I was worried about you for a while there.

Reply #572177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You forgot to use vendetta, Luuuc.

Reply #572185 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Jawai does not look at all fit for this stage of the season. I have said it before if he does not get on top of his weight now he will not live a long life as ts to much pressure on his heart and he will even less motivation to lose the excess weight which he doesnt even need to dominate at the top level.

Reply #572191 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Dropping kilos super fast isn't really compatible with playing pro sport, but even without losing a heap of weight his conditioning should be steadily improving.
He does seem a bit better than at the start of the season in terms of how quickly he goes from fresh to buggered. Not a lot though. In fairness, it's a pretty compact schedule of games and he still needs to be able to train and play useful minutes so he can't just spend every day killing himself in the gym.

Reply #572192 | Report this post

Anonymouse  
Years ago

Wildcats need to get him married to a nutritionist who will be with him 24/7.

Reply #572198 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I cain't go on..So, I go on.

You set Ross on a path where he was bound to get ill.
Making him lose a lotta weight quickly.

Reply #572204 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Hawks will definitely be there in the finals, and I'm sure they'll put up a good fight. Cats would be confident going against them, assuming they avoid the obligatory injuries at the end of the season.
From here, I can't see them earning a HCA against the Cats, but MU or NZ could, easily, and that would be a worry.

Interesting games ahead.

Reply #572205 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:51 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754