Anonymous
Years ago

Other Names You'd Like to See in Fox Commentary

FOX seems to have been pretty open to trying things out this season, which is nice. Also rotating a lot of different commentators. Here's a name I would like to see:

Ricky Grace. Has a bit of charisma about him - could he be Rucker-esque on the call? Brad Robbins has been nothing special in his special comments for the Perth games so I think it's worth a shot.

Any others?

Topic #38733 | Report this topic

Stats Machine  
Years ago

Dave

Reply #572015 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Tom King and John Casey doing play-by-play would be great. For shock value maybe have one game with Simon Kerle on special comments?!

Reply #572024 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Anyone but Brad Robbins

Reply #572026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simon Kerle would be good value, just don't mention Ian Stacker in the vicinity of him!

Reply #572037 | Report this post

Years ago

Jay bilas, Dickie v

Reply #572038 | Report this post

Years ago

Even if just a PR thing get them in for 1 game

Reply #572039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bill Lawrie

Reply #572047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Tom King?

Reply #572052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He called games for nbl.tv

Reply #572058 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

John Casey
Jeff Van Groningen

Vlahov for colour

This is out of the blue, but I often wonder about Rob Rose. Is he even still around the 'Ville? His vast elite experience may make him an interesting colour man. Likewise Darnell.

Reply #572076 | Report this post

Years ago

roy and hg

Reply #572102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I liked the Russell greer homicide combination last night

Reply #572142 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on anything, ever.

What do we have to do to get them to stop using Williams? Is it time to start publicly boycotting TV sponsors?

Reply #572152 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I didn't mind that trio either. I enjoy Williams' energy in bursts but you need someone who actually analyses the game and Greer does that pretty well. D Russell does a great job of bringing out the excitement of the games, he's like the anti-Carfino!

Reply #572156 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Russell has got increasingly annoying over the course of the year. Needs to stop explaining basic concepts every five minutes.

I never used to care about the jump ball, but now I really want it to be brought back just so Dwayne will stop explaining the possession arrow like it's some super-complicated concept and 99% of the viewing audience has never seen a FIBA/NCAA game before.

And FFS, if I ever hear 'for those new to the NBL, Perth are wearing red and Melbourne are wearing blue' or any variation thereof again...

I like Greer, but Homicide makes me want to hurl my remote through my TV. His analysis last night included such things as 'Melbourne were playing better in their first nine games, that's why they won more' and 'I spoke to Chris Goulding and told him to play better, and now he is, aren't I brilliant?'

Reply #572157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on anything, ever."

Who are you directing that comment to, koberulz?

Reply #572172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide did give some insight when he said that he has been coached by Gleeson before and knows he likes to sometimes "save" some plays for the final period.

Reply #572173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree with the Russell criticism. You have to remember the NBL is trying to expand its market share and attract new supporters.

Russell is great at "pumping things up" so to speak and building a bit of a storyline/drama to go along with the on-court action. This is what you need to attract the fans.

So what if you already know who is who and all the rules. Just keep watching, he doesn't spend that long talking about the possession arrow.

Reply #572188 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It doesn't matter if it's trying to expand, the vast majority of people watching are going to have watched an NBL game before. Or been watching that one for more than a couple of minutes.

Seriously, it's always such inane things. "If you're new to the NBL, Perth are wearing red." Obvious to anyone with basic colour comprehension, but if it needs clarifying...just clarify. Don't tack on 'if you're new to the NBL'.

On Sunday, he started out with "if you're new to the NBL, Melbourne won their first nine games and then have only won two of their past nine since", then shifted five minutes later to "if you're just joining us and you're new to the NBL, Melbourne won their first nine games and then have only won two of their past nine since", and then said exactly the same thing every five bloody minutes.

Reply #572195 | Report this post

Imation  
Years ago

Can we have some people on with some high level basketball knowledge that educate us about what is happening tactically? Like when you watch an AFL game, the commentators get the mix of capturing the emotion of the game AND discussing high level tactics - flooding, forward entries, centre bounce setups.

I watched Sydney vs NZ on the weekend and Brad Rosen, who was supposed to be the in studio expert, just gave standard cliche's (on NZ's Jackson - "He seems to enjoy his basketball which is always handy" - what?!). And Corey Williams just is embarrassing for all involved - no in depth knowledge, doesn't add any value or credibility to the broadcast.

I think Heal is the closest to getting the mix right.

The basketball public want more than what we are being served up on the telecast. NBL - you have done a lot of things right, but you are trotting out the same old people on the telecasts. Spread the net wider and get some people in with some actual ability to educate the fans.

A more knowledgeable fan is a more engaged fan.

Reply #572196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox Commentary is a boys club..if you're not friends or suck arse to Carlson, Howarth or Fox mgnt you wont get a go and we will see the same commentators each week.

Its embarrassing to see AFL & NRL commentators calling NBL games when clearly they have NO F&%king idea about the sport.

I'm %100 sure we wont see basketball commentators calling AFL or NRL games in 4 months time when their season start!!

Reply #572221 | Report this post

Downthecorridor  
Years ago

Homicide is an idiot get him off. Heal really knows the game and I found a lot of his Observations really interesting

Reply #572230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did mention that "Melbourne off to a hot start then since cooled off" quite a few times, didn't he? I guess that's part of building the storyline to the game, which is one of his strengths.

With regards to the qualification of "if you're new to the NBL..." perhaps it's to avoid offending people who consider such knowledge to be too basic? Kind of like the frustration you're expressing here since you believe it's not worth saying?

Reply #572242 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Russel is the worst, he is just so stupid. Get this...last night during the Hawks/Crocs game during the second quarter the Hawks were running with their best team, AJ, Oscar, Penney, Lisch and Martin, Russel first says the Hawks are resting some of their stars on the bench? then about 1 minute later with the same Hawks team on court says the Hawks need to get their stars back on court. Who is he talking about Cody Ellis or Kevin White, lol.
Also hate how every time a defender gets a tip or even an intercept he yells Rejection!
Stop embarrassing yourself Russel and stop ruining the basketball, give it away....its clearly not for you.

Reply #572380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's embarrassing that the league allows these idiots with no knowledge of or genuine love for basketball to do play by play. Surely there are basketball PBP guys out there other than these footy commentators? What about some of the NBL.TV guys from last season? Or the guy who did the Blitz? Even some of the old school Channel 10 guys like Stephen Quartermain?

Reply #572423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys are joking. Dwayne Russell has BIG love for the game. The nbl.tv guys are junkies but not suitable for a mass audience they lack the charisma required for big time national broadcasts.

Reply #572429 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Tom King could certainly do the job, not sure about any other NBL.TV guys. McQuade's good but would need some training to get up to TV standard.

Reply #572436 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^ Anon, Big love for big bucks...that's it!
Russel is a basketball dunce!

Reply #572440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if he's faking his enthusiasm then he's doing a good job of it. I find his enthusiasm to be infectious

Reply #572442 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

With regards to the qualification of "if you're new to the NBL..." perhaps it's to avoid offending people who consider such knowledge to be too basic? Kind of like the frustration you're expressing here since you believe it's not worth saying?
But "Perth are wearing red" is never worth saying, it's obvious to anyone with an IQ over five.

As far as Melbourne's form goes...sure, that's worth mentioning. It's not worth mentioning every two minutes, and even if you absolutely have to keep mentioning it, don't preface it with 'if you've just joined us' every time, like 99% of the audience has only just tuned in and didn't hear it the last fifteen times you said it.

Same goes for his co-commentator. Those who care who it is can find out, you don't need to tell us who you're doing commentary with every five minutes.

Reply #572447 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Marv Albert please.. "Yes!"

Reply #572585 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754