finals995
Years ago

WNBL Round 12

Thurs: LYNX vs FIRE
Sat: FLAMES vs BOOMERS; SPIRIT vs CAPS;
STARS vs RANGERS; LIGHTNING vs FIRE.

NYE has the ladder leading Perth Lynx hosting the travelling Townsville Fire. This one has 'game of the season' written all over it. The two teams might be playing each other quite a few times between now and season end.

Topic #38752 | Report this topic

Andy  
Years ago

I'm really happy for Lynx fans this season, I don't blame them for being a little pessimistic at seasons start after years of carnage. I really liked the tall list they put together and did expect them to finish top 4, maybe not top though!

Reply #572322 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Big test for the Lynx tonight. The one team we are yet to beat.

Reply #572324 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

The Fire have not been any where near as tough as I thought they would be this season, any team in the past with both Suzi and Cayla would almost be unbeatable. I do expect them to lift come finals though.

Reply #572343 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The punters have faith in Perth

Lynx $1.57
Fire $2.25

Margin -2.5 points

Reply #572347 | Report this post

Years ago

fire for me in a close one

Reply #572350 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

I can't pick it myself. I'm finding it hard to get a read on the Fire this season. The easier part of their schedule when I thought they would be toughest has gone and as we've seen it hasn't been all smooth sailing for the Champions. At times they've labored and their win/loss percentage shows it. As it stands now, they have 10 games of the regular season to go and whilst that's a lot of potential 'W's it does include the 3 longest road double headers interspersed with some very tough home games.

Perth with 9 games left including 2 road double headers against UCC and Sydney, would be hoping for better than 60% W/L from their 5 home games. If at least one of those home wins is against Townsville it would be a significant boost for them. Maybe tonights encounter will answer the question: can Burton and Tomlinson contain Batkovic and George? And/or will that even be relevant if Whitcomb gets hot??

Reply #572357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great win for the Fire on the road without Tatham.

Reply #572366 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yep they meant business tonight. Attacked us from the start and we couldn't handle it.
The ball wasn't bouncing our way, but even putting that aside the fire looked clearly the more composed and smart team.

Reply #572368 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

First time I've seen them play. Perth had some tall girls, but TV had a couple of BIG bodies. Their 3-point shooting was also brilliant.

Reply #572371 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, Townsville is known for its international-level front court. We've got to do a better job on them if we're going to beat that team.

Reply #572373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stellar performance by burton again. Lol. Crazy...

Reply #572378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. Lavey justifying her selection into the squad while Burton continues to leave most puzzled as to why she would belong ahead of others.

Reply #572385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which team was allowed to register a new player after the time limit had expired?

Reply #572417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the Boomers clean out be bigger than the Caps?

Reply #572420 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

In nearly 16 minutes of court time Bishop has taken 1 shot?

Reply #572487 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She finished the game with 2 FGA. Yes, very unusual. Wonder if it was Bendigo's D targeting her or just a Kobe-style sook.
Spirit won 78-68. Closer than I expected actually.

SEQ-Rangers looking like a good contest so far.

Reply #572501 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Canberra's only good player is SEQ's throw away.

Reply #572506 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think escapee is probably a more accurate description, but either way, yeah, she didn't have a lot of help today.
Neither did Leilani in Townsville's pummelling of the Lightning.

Hooper was well contained by Dandenong and I'd say that went a long way towards their 6 point win over an undermanned SEQ. Looks like Jacinta Monroe didn't arrive in time for this one.

Reply #572511 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Stallworth had a great game for them.

Rangers get one on the road against the depleted Stars. Ibekwe's absence is going to be hard to cover.

Reply #572512 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

OK so Jacinta Monroe is Ibekwe's replacement and now this clears up what anonymous was saying above.

Tremendous display from Mitchell that sends a message to some of the young point guards around. She shot the ball at 64% (80% from deep). But Cayla was even better, shooting at 66%. Good to note Gaze doing well off the bench for the Fire.

Reply #572517 | Report this post

Years ago

adelaide present vrs adelaide old scholars - mitchell was good - townsville too tall

Reply #572518 | Report this post

Years ago

Mitchell with the front court steal of the season

Reply #572521 | Report this post

Was at the Spirit Caps game. Bishop was a non-event. Didn't look to score when she had the ball. In past years she was look to score first, pass second. Last night was all passing,even driving through the key then dishing out to three instead of the back turn to the basket. Did have Griffin on her, but no real lock down D or double teaming. Talbot quiet in the 1st half, didn't see much of the ball, but at least attacked the basket in the second.

Stallworth was impressive with some nice post moves. Had their 1st 10 points and the only thing keeping them in the game. I think she likes being the focal point in offence - or at least getting the ball in her hands, unlike at SEQ.

Montgomery is quick with good handles and some nice passing, but a poor outside shot that she likes taking.

There is talent on this Caps team and they shouldn't be 0-16, but the attitude/desire is sorely lacking. Starts at the top with Graf/Bishop. Graf appears as though she knows this is her last year and is going through the motions - none of the yelling, whistles or animation on the bench from her.

Bendigo were up and down again - story of their year. Have patches where they play very well and are unstoppable, but then have times where they get bogged down and are very stagnant, no one moving for a few offences in a row. Griffin very efficient with 20/14.

Reply #572528 | Report this post

Caps Fan  
Years ago

Results of the review are "in" - Graf is gone from coaching but is 80% certain to remain at Uni of Can in medium term, 100% certain to be on Uni Can payroll for at least next year, so they will find a position her somewhere ( or pay her out ). Open applications for new coach will be "announced" around the end of the minor round.

Reply #572529 | Report this post

Caps Fan  
Years ago

Or perhaps it's all just loose gossip and Graf will sign a 4 year coaching contract extension and win 3 more titles, and then take the Opals to a gold medal

This is the management that just got around to releasing LJ 3+1/2 years into a 4 year $1Million contract that yielded 6 games so everything is possible.

Reply #572530 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

I'm hearing that Phil Brown will coach the Caps next year after they finally begin a rebuild with youth players. It's common knowledge that Graf always preferred coaching seasoned veterans (Dad's Army) rather than developing young players. Phil Brown has an outstanding record in coaching & developing young players & would be good choice for the Caps in their rebuild next season IMO.

Reply #572540 | Report this post

Caps Fan  
Years ago

Phil Brown has an outstanding record in coaching & developing young players ?

Erin Philips anyone ?, there are a few others that did rather well after being identified as "not AIS material" by Phil et al, and a few who were identified and had their scholarships renewed year in and year out - but did not kick on, but yes, as about 95% of all opals went through the institute the record does look good doesn't it ?

Almost as good as Marty Clarke's , in fact every head and assistant coach at the AIS pre "mature" player scholarship has fantastic records in developing young players that got to Oz rep status.

Not difficult when you could just pick the best 4-7 players at the national U/16s after (mostly)watching them for the last 2 years at the u/14 clubs and at the various state ITCs.

Good luck to him if he takes it on.

Reply #572554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel like if you don't want to see the Caps succeed, you'd be really happy to see Phil in charge. Only potential upside is that he may have some recruiting sway with girls he coached at the AIS? The WNBL is not a 'development' league these days, though, it's the 2nd best women's league in the world and I can't see Phil outperforming Graffy with an equivalent roster.

It will be interesting to see what of the review findings is made public, because UC should be taking some responsibility for the club's lack of strategic direction since their takeover. Recruiting and community engagement have been extremely poor, and the failure to approach the LJ injury situation with any sense of realism has underpinned that. It's as though everyone just sat there thinking the team would win and crowds would show up as soon as she was back on court. Of course, it's been apparent for some time - years, not just this season - that a) she was unlikely to handle a full playing load and b) her priority is the Olympics. If UC have left Graf with so much free reign that she bears responsibility for the failures in roster construction, well, that's as bad as the Clippers letting Doc Rivers keep making personnel decisions in support of his son's NBA career.

Reply #572557 | Report this post

Just Old  
Years ago

" it's the 2nd best women's league in the world "

LOL, this just missed being the joke of the year 2015

Reply #572559 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Just to pull you up on the Maleyism you have just repeated, the WNBL is, at best, the 3rd-best women's league in the world.
It's quality league, but it is also a clear step down from the WNBA and EuroLeague.

As for not being able to see Phil outperforming Graf with a similar roster, I guess the obvious retort would be that he literally could not do any worse.

I'm certainly eagerly awaiting the results of the review though. I have to confess I do enjoy seeing the Caps suffer a little after so many years of arrogance thanks to taxpayer-funded dominance at the expense of clubs like Perth who've had to live within their very modest means. (I still want them in the league though, so failure is not an option!)

Reply #572560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PHIL brown developing players........hmmmmm well as long as they don't want to shoot lol, .......he had one player up at the AIS for years, she had so much work done on her shooting style and she still can't shooot even now, but she kept getting asked back again and again and again.

Nope sorry if caps want to improve they need a better coach than phil brown IMO.

As for the LJ saga, time she hung up her boots.....so maybe she could step in as coach, earn that million that they paid her fir 6 games....... Equates to around $167,000 per game, in which she played less than 30 mins....... Yes she's done a lot for aus basketball but really this was ridiculous paying for someone to just sit there, plus her rehab expenses

Reply #572563 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

It all depends how much money they want to spend.

Clearly there are two specific roles involved here. Being good at one doesn't necessarily imply ability in the other. Graf could do the "GM" type role (Brown also would be good in this role). But for HC, if they have the money, I'd look at somebody like Peter Buckle.

Reply #572590 | Report this post

Just Very Old  
Years ago

Peter Buckle ?

who just called out "@&%@#$#@ Not - AGAIN ?? - OH YES !!!"

Reply #572599 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:41 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754