greybuoy
Years ago

Torrey Craig

Obvious Torrey learned something playing the NZ League: how to beat'em.
Glad I got to see it.

Topic #38757 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Breakers fan I am puzzled, wtf is up with us!!! Arguing amongst themselves on court, poor shot selection, problems need to be fixed asap! Craig can ball and Fearne should play him more!

Reply #572364 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Cam can play too, too many forwards at Cairns and not enough minutes or chemistry between certain combos.

Reply #572365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The breakers were not on their game tonight. The absence of Abercrombie was big because they lack guys who can create offense.

Reply #572372 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie would have made the 3's TeRangi missed and defended Craig better. His shooting ability spreads the floor and gives the bigs more room to operate and Webster and Jackson a target when the D collapses on them.
In saying that it was the silly turnovers from dumb ass passes that got Cairns back in the lead.

Reply #572376 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson is turning the ball over way too much...seems to be forcing a lot of passes. It looked like the Breaker's were a one man gang last night on offence with Webster the only one that could create. Altho Pledger had a good game the other day he continues to frustrate me and must have the worst hands in the league. Te Rangi not producing at this level for sometime and we really missed Abercrombie. I love Charles Jackson's energy and body language, at times Cedric would do well to replicate his body language as when things aren't going well he can drop his head, moan at the refs and his team mates which isn't helpful.

Not going to get it done playing like that even with one key player down. Cairns were an import and Weigh down too.

Reply #572377 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Gotta love this NBL season, so much to love and you can really poke holes in every team about atleast a couple of things and Cairns and NZ are no different.

Craig was awesome and the win for cairns keeps things interesting for another round atleast.

Good game plan tonight in going at the Beeaker bids, certainly not something enough teams Dian's they certainly don't hack Cedric like I think should be prevelent, keep sending him to the line!

Cedric certainly isn't MVP contender this year.
Abercrombie was a huge out for NZ and I think he will be all NBL first team this year

Reply #572379 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Abercrombie is the Breakers leading +/- guy, he's crucial to them.

Reply #572383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster may have top scored last night, but thought he was awful.

I think the Breakers lack creative offensive players, hence why they looked ordinary before Webster came back from NBA training camp and why they looked ordinary without Tom last night.

When one of their offensive stars is missing it allows defenses to hone in more on the remaining weapons and forces limited players to try and do too much. You just cringed at the number of poor offensive plays last night where the likes of Vukona (mainly ugly jump shots), Te Rangi, Bartlett, Pledger and McDonald tried to initiate and it never looked like eventuating into a positive play.

Reply #572384 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I think the Breakers lack creative offensive players, hence why they looked ordinary before Webster"

Who are the creative offensive players they are missing from last year's championship?

The Breakers have been a very good offensive team for a long time now, I wouldn't make too many judgements on a down game or two with players missing.

Reply #572386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, at full strength they have just the right balance. But take one of Webster/Abercrombie/CedJackson away and they're found to be lacking in offensive initiators.

I think the likes of Wollongong, Perth and Melbourne are better in this regard. In fact you've seen Wollongong and Perth play large chunks of their season without their starting point guard and still excel.

Reply #572389 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree, they lack perimeter depth as Vickerman isn't getting the best out of Te Rangi and Bartlett, and mucked up with the backup PG spot. Still, their first three are pretty darn good!

Reply #572393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a fine line, isn't it? They look awesome at full strength, but when you take one piece away the domino effect can be strong. A bit of extra attention on your other premium options, guys who are limited in skill-set being asked to do a little bit extra, and all of a sudden you look very vulnerable.

The Cairns D was very smart and disciplined though. You didn't see any of Cedric Jackson's patented drives to the cup as I think the D sagged into the paint a lot. And they did a good job of contesting Webster's jump shots.

NZ probably should've had more of Tai Wesley creating from post catches or screen and roll action with Jackson, but he battled foul trouble for a lot of the night.

Reply #572403 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I ran into the fortune-teller. She said;' Beware! of those that weigh
others down.'

Reply #572409 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

^ I think it must have been the same woman that told me 'a Walker is best used at a retirement home'

Reply #572410 | Report this post

Fworld  
Years ago

"He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Reply #572414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to the subject i was impressed with craigs post game interview. Guy has a genuine team first attitude. I guess that could be interred by the fact fearne wanted to bring him back this year but he showed why

Reply #572445 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:50 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754