Anonymous
Years ago

Refereeing

Anyone notice that in the NBL referees are almost coaching or instructing players during the game?

This happens in particular when a player is bringing the ball out from his side of the court and the ref screams "no hand checking now" etc etc....

Does this occur in the NBA? I have never heard the refs in the NBA instruct players during the game to not do things. Granted you cant hear the refs or they arent mic'd.

Does anyone know if they do this in the NBA?

Topic #38762 | Report this topic

Years ago

i think that is good - it gives everyone a better feel for the game and the players know what the ref is looking at and keen to enforce. Prefer that than just stopping the game - unless it is an obvious infringement

Reply #572465 | Report this post

Fworld  
Years ago

One warning then ping em. Same goes for the refs. One warning about weak reffing and bye. Refs so far this season haven't been able to keep up with the higher level of play.

Reply #572467 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The refs haven't been able to keep up with the level of play since the NBL became professional and they didn't, which is to be expected.

There's nothing different about this season but the philosophy they're being told to implement by the new boss is making things more inconsistent.

Reply #572470 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

One thing that is bugging the heck out of me is when the one ref who plainly can't see what is happening, calls a foul based on what he thinks is happening, and the other two just let it ride.
There seems to be a code of conduct that if your fellow ref makes a blatant mistake, you don't correct him in public. I can't recall if this was always the case. Surely that negates part of the reason of having 3 refs?

Classic Example: Two players were facing inwards, one behind the other, and the player behind was reaching forwards. The player in front literally grabbed the arm and yanked it down across their body (like they were going to perform a Judo throw) and held the arm there for a few seconds.
One ref was directly behind the players, so all he saw was the rear player wrapping their arm around the other. The baseline ref and the opposite side ref could clearly see what happened and made no call. Yet the ref who couldn't see squat called the foul on the player whose arm was held.

Reply #572480 | Report this post

i would think if you counted the number of calls made in a game, them looked at the number of blatantly bad calls, the refs may??? be better than we think.

Reply #572482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In that instance the ref who actually saw the incident should over rule. However as you said its one in all in. Yet again weak governance.
Refereeing for dummies. Call what you actually saw, not what you thought you saw.

Reply #572484 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

In the NBA this doesnt happen.
They are instructed not to "preventative officiate"

As you said.. its a form of coaching, hoping to improve the visual aspect for the spectators to avoid unnecessary distruptuions to the game.

Reply #572580 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It works as long as you back it up. We've had 13 rounds of the refs saying "hands out" and the players keep putting their hands in and not getting called.

If they said hands out then pinged players when they put their hands in it would be much more effective.

Reply #572581 | Report this post

Thats what I can't work out. I've got no problem with the "coaching" by the refs but if they aren't blowing the whistle if their instructions aren't followed, what is the point?

But hey, they've sorted out the untucked singlets and lane violations so that must bump up their stats in some way...

Reply #572582 | Report this post

Every time I hear a ref call out "hands..." I want to either punch them in the head or punch my screen.

It is totally unnecessary - it demonstrates a lack of respect to the players.

Reply #572669 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I just hate the refs yelling at all - if they're yelling out to the players then their whistles are too far from their mouths, which makes it a bit hard to blow the whistle in time.

Given that the referee 'coaching' doesn't seem to work, I just wish they'd go back to enforcing the rules with whistle in mouth.

The players don't seem to take the rules too seriously, so maybe it's time for the refs to re-establish the limits set by the rules.

Reply #572673 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I agree with one think on this thread, that is where referees have an option to yell out continuously and warn players about holding or whatever, they should just blow the whistle and get on with doing their job!

One warning or making a point of emphasis is fine, but at any senior or high junior ranking competition they just need to do their job, leave the coaching to the coaches.

Reply #572709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The term is "Preventative officiating". And any half decent referee doesnt need to remove their whistle to speak.

Reply #572727 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It prevents officiating, that sounds like an oxymoron...

Reply #572826 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's meant to stop from happening, but at the moment it's just stopping them from being called.

Reply #572829 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:55 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754