Anonymous
Years ago

Lachie Reids impact

I noticed that every team these days has their fans stand up and clap until the home team scores.
Is it correct to say that this originated in Perth during the challenge stadium days when lachie Reid famously created the atmosphere that is now known as the jungle.

How is Reid doing these days at the lynx games and are they now building a similar atmosphere?

And should Reid return to the nbl or has he effectively built it up and handed in the torch?

Topic #38764 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Hello Lachie Reid

Reply #572496 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lachy does a nice job at Lynx games. Very similar to what he used to do at the Cats. He's great in that role and the Lynx have done well to get him.
The downside to the game night experience is that they seem to believe the atmosphere will improve in proportion to the volume of the music they play, which is far from the case. (that aspect is nothing to do with Lachy of course). When it's difficult to hear what the person beside you is saying, and at times impossible to hear the refs' whistles or the shot clock, that's a pretty fair indication that they should take it down a few notches. And it's not just the crowd that doesn't appreciate. Opposition clubs have filed formal complaints about it, and even some of our own players aren't fans.

Bit of a stretch to say that Lachy is the person who invented standing up and clapping until the home team scores though.

Reply #572500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess it's difficult to say he'invented' it but I hadn't seen it anywhere else

Reply #572502 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I've always felt it was better to do the clapping thing for the opposition's score, not the home team's.
It's a bit demoralising still standing there clapping when Joker and the Thief has ended and the Cats still haven't scored.

Reply #572503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's from NCAA basketball

Reply #572504 | Report this post

Wonderer  
Years ago

Lol, it's been around for more than 20 years, so wouldn't be claiming it! It's also stupid and piles pressure on the home team to score, tonight it took the Kings 3 tortuous minutes!

Makes much more sense of its till the other team scores..,.l bit that would mean that some one cared about defence.,.

Reply #572515 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Lachy seems happy to stay at channel 10 Perth playing second fiddle to Tim Gossage and delivering very few basketball stories... Literally zero on any other team... We see more on Ben Simmons than we do on other NBL teams!

Reply #572522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2nd fiddle and earning good money. Tough decision eh.

Reply #572525 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought the Hawks were the first NBL team to do the stand up thing at the start of games?

Reply #572527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which incarnation of the Hawks? Back in the Snakepit days?

Reply #572532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone remember that game back in Challenge Stadium against one of those Brisbane "all-star" teams. The Cats were down by around 20 at 3/4 time and lachie revved up the crowd for a huge run in the final term such that the crowd ended up standing, clapping and shouting for the whole quarter instead of just one basket as the underdog Wildcats marched back and took the lead at one stage. Alas, Brisbane got the lead back late and pulled the win out of the fire by 1pt, as Redhage missed a patented one handed runner on the buzzer.

Even though we lost, still one of my all-time favourite crowd atmosphere memories.

Perhaps this is what the above posters are referring to in saying it makes sense to use the standing thing as a tool to build pressure on the opposition and make a huge run, as opposed to potentially the reverse. Having said that, it could also be seen as demoralising if the opposition sits you on your ass within 20 seconds.

Reply #572533 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

haha in the running for award for random topic of the year already

Reply #572537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachie your awesome we get it...

Reply #572567 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

I can remember it 25 years ago when Perth played at Perth Entertainment Centre

Reply #572577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember that game were that team went on a huge run and came back to win?! It was all on the court announcer!

Reply #572579 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Actually Lachie was extremely good at getting the crowd fired up. There were some good times at Challenge, I think we all knew it was a small crowd and so shouted extra hard.
The dudes they currently have are entertaining enough, but Lachie always seemed to have the measure of the crowd, he knew when we were ready to go nuts.
It was nice to see him back in action for the Lynx.

But seriously, teams with monosyllable names need to come up with a new chant.

Reply #572614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachie who?

Reply #572624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the guie who used to be the emcee at challenge stadium. did a verie good job hieping up the crowd. now does the lienx games.

Reply #572626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc, it can have the opposite effect too. When the Wildcats scored very early, Lachie would sometimes utilise the option to say to the crowd "Stay standing! Stay standing!" which would help the team build some momentum by scoring a few buckets backed by the clapping.

So it can go both ways.

Reply #573232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks lachie

Reply #573233 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754