Anonymous
Years ago

Peninsula on the improve

With Frankston looking set to extend their courts and modernise their facilities, Casey also extending to 4 more courts and I believe that Sth Pen also has in the pipework's extensions/new stadium; what will this mean for Breakers and Steelers? Will this be their demise? If basketball is to survive at these 2 associations, what do they need to do to exists? Or should they (I know it's a dirty word) merge? Financially things must be tough on both associations, with everyone within 30min growing their domestic comps and/or their Rep program and/or updating their stadiums, I can only see it getting tougher. They seem to have a massive outlay, Ballinger at Breakers (Stacker the season before, he might still be part of them) and Kenny rumoured to be on $30k + and sub-standard players receiving payments; can't be easy scrounging around for that sort of cash; I don't believe either of them has a major sponsor either. How will or do they survive?

Topic #38773 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston has gone backwards in the last 3 years but is slowly coming out of a tailspin.New courts are still 2-3 years away as expect residents to push it into VCAT.Breakers on the improve after several false starts.Still along to go.Steelers in a financial mess and Sharks purely a women's program.There are no new stadiums planned on the Peninsula.

Reply #572583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sth pen been pretty disappointing last few years with direction in seniors

Reply #572584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so times are more jolly now at frankston?

Reply #572592 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

Casey and Frankston not on the Peninsula anyway.
The other 3 have plenty of their own troubles.
The new stadium talks have been around for years, and we're all still waiting.
If one of them can get it right, then they'll be in the box seat.

Reply #572605 | Report this post

Arguments for Frankston could be made about being on the Peninsula, Casey agree but I threw that in as it is starting to make waves and is close enough to create headaches; didn't bother mentioning Chelsea as they are not in a position at this point and time to create issues.
Breakers seniors on the improve but juniors are a mess still with little or clear direction, may end up like Sherbrooke, juniors all playing mostly low divisions.
Frankston will always be Frankston no matter what they will always be OK as their domestic comp is strong. So Sth Pen doesn't have new courts in the near future? Heard on the grapevine a 2000 seated main court, perhaps that committee member had their head in the clouds and it was more of a vision than anything else. Shame as they looked like they had turned a corner 2-3yrs ago.
Casey I believe have started their new courts or are supposed to be starting, 4 in total and 1 being a main court (which they desperately needed), juniors are doing OK, girls side needs a lot of work though.
Steelers will always be the feeder club, their domestic comp not the greatest and this really hurts them unfortunately, spent way too much money on individuals and with it seems a lack of vision to how it will look in 5yrs or even 2yrs, it's more of a yr to yr thing.

Reply #572632 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

A peninsula is a body of land with water on 3 sides. From Frankston you can head due east till you hit Sale. It's not on the Peninsula. But agree with you that they will always be the dominant force in the South East. Dropping their Youth Champ programs may hurt them though, as it's now SEABL or nothing in terms of pathway their, and very limited spots available.
Breakers seniors may be on the improve, but from all reports nearly didn't exist at all. Their juniors seem to go ok I thought, and are strong in numbers.
WP, again from other reports, may not have any senior teams at all, and although they have 30+ junior rep teams, only a small fraction of those are not playing regional.
SP, not sure why they'd need a 2,000 seat stadium, when they rarely sell out their current venue in Rosebud. I know they raised funds for court extensions at Dromana 5 or so years back, but think it lost momentum shortly after.Losing the Youth Men last year and now the Men's team has hurt their senior program, although they do punch above their weight in quality of Junior teams. Although just heard their U18 girls team withdrew?
I've said it on this forum before, I believe these 3 need to merge, pool all resources on the Peninsula, and make a single entity to provide for and represent all basketballers on the Mornington Peninsula.

Casey are the big bolter in my view. Have the largest growth area, an existing 6 court facility with plans to upgrade, and are starting to gain momentum. Most critical for them is whether the people in charge can take them from what they were to where they could be.

Reply #572659 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"A peninsula is a body of land with water on 3 sides. From Frankston you can head due east till you hit Sale. It's not on the Peninsula."

Given the peninsula doesn't run north-south the ability to travel east isn't really relevant. The geographical beginning of the peninsula runs through Frankston.

Reply #572661 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

Ok mate.

Reply #572667 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No probs. Take a drive along Nepean Hwy, Frankston-Flinders Rd, Peninsula Link and Western Port Hwy, you'll be able to see where the geographical peninsula starts when you start climbing after the former swamps of Seaford and the plains around Cranbourne.

Reply #572674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Short fall in funds re Frankston. Word is still $2mill away. Good to see the Blues Chairman sharing his Bball knowledge and creating pathways on the current US tour.

Reply #572681 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

Peninsula begins in a S/W direction between pearcedale and Frankston. About Langwarrin south. Frankston isn't Soith west of Langwarrin South.
Also the governing body, the Shire of Mornington Peninsula occupies the entire peninsula and is generally considered to be a good approximation of where the peninsula joins the mainland.

Reply #572683 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As I said, go for a drive along those roads and you'll be able to identify the geographical feature very easily.

The local government area is irrelevant, there is no change in geography along the municipal border with Frankston or Casey, the borders are determined by roads not geography.

Reply #572685 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

So you've determined where the Pennsula starts because of what you see out the car window.
And as I wrote, politically, Frankston isn't considered part of the peninsula either, with separate municipalities.

Reply #572688 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

'Politically' is simply the municipal border.

The Mornington Peninsula Shire was created by the state government in 1994 after the merger of the shires of Flinders, Mornington and Hastings, with the addition of part of the old City of Frankston, it's not a measure of where the peninsula starts and ends.

But if you wish to think a boundary made up by bureaucrats in Spring St is the determination of where a significant geographically feature starts then good for you.

Reply #572699 | Report this post

Correct Dwayne I heard the same thing that they had pulled the U18 girls. Shame as I thought that program was heading in the right direction, they may still be having some teething problems with their transition and only time will tell but they definitely bat above their weight.
Breakers lost some good junior coaches due to structure changes, not many Rep coaches wanted to be apart of the not taking outside players thing so they have taken a big hit there. Consider that they had 60+ coaching applications 2014/15 season to less than 32 for this season, they had to scrounge up coaches for teams (not unusual for any club but to have less than half the applications of last year is concerning). Have heard still no direction for coaches and in turn they do as they want with no structure, I haven't seen any club have long term success without structure or direction.
Steelers too focused on getting a senior men's Championship, crazy dollars being thrown in there.
Casey are supposed to start their 4 new courts in December 2015 (unsure if it has started). U14 Boys finished 5th at Nationals and the growth in the area may mean a force in years to come if they get it right, as you said it remains to be seen if the current people in charge can do that. The one thing I have heard in their favour is the junior coaching depth, courtesy of fallouts from Frankston, Dandenong and others.
Always thought with Sth Pen, Breakers and Steelers that there was either 1 or 2 too many teams on the Peninsula, perhaps a merge is best but I don't think those clubs would see it that way.

Reply #572704 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

What is the population of the "Peninsula"?

for the sake of the question I would think this means Frankston and Mornington combined?

Reply #572706 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

Sure thing Paul.

I don't believe the Casey courts have started. But could be wrong. Drove by the other day and didn't see any construction work. They do get a lot of ex Frankston and Dandenong players/coaches, and coupled with the huge growth in the area, it's the reason they are building so quickly. Like I said though, just needs to be managed right with such rapid growth.
And you're right, amalgamation would never happen, which is a shame.

HO, believe it's around the 150k mark full time residents, but balloons over the summer months with all the visitors. Thats Mornington peninsula shire population anyway, then add in Frankston City.

Reply #572708 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting population comparison, if there is about 150,000 on the Mornington with more than 5 Associations (or about five), that makes it a very competative market for players.

Compared say to the Geelong and Bellarine where the population is more than double and there are only 3 major Associations...

Reply #572710 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

Bear, believe Frankston city have around 130k. So combined, around 280k full time residents,

Reply #572711 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

That sounds closer to the figure I would expect, cheers...

Reply #572722 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's hard to see which merge would work. It's very different demographically from Mornington to Western Port, and reasonable distance from Southern Pen to both.

I suspect a Mornington/Sth Pen merger with domestic competitions played in both regions might be best, with even the younger rep teams still being split along those lines?

Reply #572730 | Report this post

Don't forget Chelsea is a stones throw from Frankston; Chelsea, Casey, Frankston, Breakers, Steelers and Sth Pen all within 40min of each other.
Somerville, Breakers and Sth Pen all with 30min of each other. Neither one of these have big thriving domestic programs; you could add all 3 up and they wouldn't rival the 750+ domestic teams at Frankston or they may come close to the 600+ at Casey.
Someone, one of these clubs needs to stand up and take the area by the scruff of the neck and lead the way like Frankston did back many years ago; reality unless Sth Pen, Breakers and Steelers merge it won't be one of them; Frankston and Casey are the only ones with numbers to be able to currently do it. Be nice to have both, we don't have too many dominating clubs this side of town like they do in the West or North.

Reply #572732 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Theoretically I suppose a merger of all three could work, with domestic and lower age rep based at the three different mini-regions, then coming together at higher age rep and Big V.

I think it would take someone with power to cut through the politics and personalities and make that happen though. It would certainly have the potential to be a very strong club.

Reply #572735 | Report this post

Mat Whitehead  
Years ago

Someone with power to sort out politics? Why don't you just come out and say that you think only a man could do the job, paul.

And "domestic and lower age" grouped together? Hmm, so you're basically saying women and children are the same in your pecking order.

Reply #572738 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

The problem is to house a super club of the 3 it would need it's own independent location. Rosebud (2 courts), Mornington (3 courts) and Somerville (2 courts), would all be too small to house a combined rep and senior rep program of the combined 3 I think.
Unfortunately I don't see much funding available for a new stadium in a central location on the peninsula to help any new entity.
You're right about the powerful personalities that would have to be overcome to make it work, which I think is sad considering it's for the betterment of the game and the kids in the area.
Frankston will always be Frankston, and Casey will be growing to a similar size. The other 3 will always be small-medium size clubs unless they co-operate, in my opinion.

Reply #572739 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Someone with power to sort out politics? Why don't you just come out and say that you think only a man could do the job, paul."

I was thinking more someone from Basketball Victoria, Basketball Australia or even the State Gov sport & rec dept.

"And "domestic and lower age" grouped together? Hmm, so you're basically saying women and children are the same in your pecking order."

I assume you don't follow basketball? Women, men, boys and girls all play domestic and all play rep, so lower age rep involves both genders, as do domestic competitions, as does older rep levels, as does Big V.

Obviously some issues facing this poster, I wish them the best of luck with their struggles.

Reply #572748 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The problem is to house a super club of the 3 it would need it's own independent location. Rosebud (2 courts), Mornington (3 courts) and Somerville (2 courts), would all be too small to house a combined rep and senior rep program of the combined 3 I think."

You might be right, although I believe they are adding more courts at Dromana? How many U16, U18 and Big V teams would they have to cater for do you think?

Reply #572749 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

There were plans about 5 years ago at Dromana. But haven't heard an talk of it recently. Rosebud wouldn't be able to accommodate additional courts I think because of its location within the school. Would you just stop at 16's though ? I mean, 12's & 14's are important formative years, and you'd want your best young players with/against the other best young players week in week out at practice and the higher divisions instead of spreading them the way they are. I think combined, the 3 Assoc's have around the mid 70's in terms of junior rep teams, and in 2014 boasted 10 Big V teams between them. Showing the appetite for the game in the area.

Reply #572790 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think I would bring them together at U16s, maybe have one combined team in U14s with the top players. Not ideal but in the early years you can lose players if they're bing asked to travel too far.

Early last year there were plans up in the stadium at Dromana re the expansion, but must say I haven't heard anything since. Of course, I don't think a merger is happening any time soon so it doesn't really matter.

Reply #572799 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

Nope, sadly not.

Reply #572810 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:28 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754