AyJay
Years ago

NBL-Foxtel deal- Whats it worth?

Does anyone know what the five year deal is worth to the NBL and how it directly benefits NBL clubs, players and the general public?

Will it directly give clubs funds and raise current salary caps or is it absorbed into NBL employment, bureaucracy etc?

Couldn't find anything online except the basic story outline.

Topic #38822 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

From what i heard the NBL had to pay part of the costs to have games shown so not sure FOX paid anything to broadcast games. This was just from what was talked about on here and other forums so I could be wrong.

Reply #573394 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Always nice when millionaires are involved with NBL, Kestelman, Bendat who can spend big to make it big.. need more rich and stable owners who care.

Reply #573397 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Very much doubt Foxtel are paying a cent.

Reply #573398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendat has never done anything for the NBL only for Perth which is fair enough. Kestleman has 2 hats and has saved the NBL so far.

Reply #573404 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Possibly a very big part of the investment by LK is to put up some cash to get the league exposure, then try to recoup this through selling sponsorship to the likes of Chemist Wharehouse.

Trying to prove the NBL is a quality TV product and prove it will pull viewers which will give it a real dollar value for future contracts.

Adding to this investment is the commitment to re-establish the Brisbane Bullets and possibly further expand the league to increae potential tv audience.

No-one can doubt LK is giving this thing his best shot. Its not perfect, but no sporting comp is but you gotta love the vision and the optimism in the league tight now.

Reply #573405 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Perth benefited greatly with his injection of money and the professionalism Perth has in all aspects of the club helps the NBL's image.

Now that Kestelman is on board, hopefully they find a similar owner or group for Brisbane and eventually other struggling clubs.

They've done well with the sponsors so far and haven't even got a naming rights sponsor for the league yet.

Very promising future. Foxtel and the NBL Live app working very well.

Reply #573410 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

KET why would you say Foxtel aren't paying a cent? What gives you that impression?

I know the NBL has put up a lot of its own money to get on Fox, but I thought Fox was also funding a bit of it (at least)

Reply #573414 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

If the NBL are partially playing for it to be televised, why would they receive money from Foxtel? Foxtel would put money towards the cost but would not be giving the NBl money direct. That would come from sponsorships, which would come on board with a TV deal in place.

Reply #573421 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haz, I mean Fox wouldn't be paying a cent to the NBL. I'm sure Fox are paying part of the costs of production.

Reply #573423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before LK is believe the last deal they did with foxtel was was about $300,000 - unless i'm wrong.

Reply #573430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's $1,000,000 doctor evil

Reply #573436 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Who is doctor evil?

Reply #573445 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

What I am really interested in is how well the games have been rating? The figures aren't published anywhere.

If the ratings aren't good enough, will every game still be live on FOX next season?

Reply #573446 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

FWIK Fox games are averaging in the 15-20K mark (that's average audience, not total reach) and Gem in the 40-50K mark. That makes for roughly double the overall viewing audience of last season.

Reply #573448 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Wow Paul, that is terrible :-(

Reply #573455 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Only if your expectations were too high. That's right around what was to be expected with so many games on, and much better than the last time it was on Fox despite far fewer games to stretch the audience. The Gem numbers are solid for the NBL, comparable to the years on Ten.

Both need to improve a hell of a lot to cash in, but that was never going to happen in the first season. It is just the same product dressed up a little better.

Reply #573466 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

15-20k? Ouch!

Reply #573476 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Were you seriously expecting more than that with six games per week?

Reply #573478 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I had nothing to really base expectations on as such.
But I was certainly hoping for more by this stage, with the season well underway and the coverage locked regularly into channel 503.

Reply #573481 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I was hoping for more too obviously, but at the end of the 2000s the NBL was averaging 4-5K on Fox with only two games per week, and across the Ten/ONE deal it was in the 30-40K range, so it was always very unlikely there'd be big numbers.

The positive is the overall reach is around double what it was last year, so at least that's progress. The negative is there needs to be huge improvement to make the league sustainable.

Reply #573486 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

paul - I struggle to remember. Last year was it 2 games per week being shown? i.e., is the increased audience a direct consequence of the increased exposure (number of games)?

What would be interesting to know as well is the additional exposure through NBL Live app. Is that known at all?

Reply #573489 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep.

Reply #573490 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

Last season we had Friday night and Sunday games.

Its the Friday night game I really miss. I am hoping there is room in the Fox deal for them to sell them on for an acceptable FTA price.

Who else misses the Friday night FTA games?

Reply #573516 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I miss the channel seven / channel ten coverage during the glory days and the great John Gardiner.

Reply #573519 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I miss the Friday night game too. Out of the 2 FTA games from last season, the Friday night game was always better for mine.

Never really could be too bothered watching a game on Sunday arvo when I could be doing other things that day, or binge watch a TV show!

I think the NBL really needs a Friday or Thursday night FTA component to the Fox deal. Sunday's would be better suited just for a highlights show.

Reply #573524 | Report this post

Don't forget, last season's friday night FTA game was rigged so that Perth was "always" on. Bloody Nick Marvin.

Reply #573535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not get too carried away with individual game ratings. What the FOX deal has done is ensure that every game is broadcast live and in HD and has been perfect for increasing the league's general media presence through highlights and stories being spread.

You can see this result in the increased crowds that have attended games this year. Once the games are regularly sold out then you will see the ratings jump big-time.

Reply #573624 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754