Anonymous
Years ago

Has Gleeson led complacency into the Cats

After a couple of awful results, including two of the lowest scores in franchise history, I heard Gleeson on the radio today saying that the Sydney game represented an opportunity to "work on their skills" and "shore up our Top 2 position".

Not what I want to hear at all. Need to have respect for the opposition and not assume this will be a comfortable win and practice session type outing.

Topic #38823 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

They have no shooters, none. Defensive pressure is only half the battle to winning basketball games. They really needed a few guys that can spread the defence and give the bigs room to operate. Trev is ordinary but he can't make jump shots for them so not all his fault.

Reply #573472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers WILL BE LUCKY at this stage if they make the playoffs

Reply #573474 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Wildcats will probably finish the season with the best road record and have 6 games still to play at home.. 3 game form slump nothing to worry about just yet

Reply #573479 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"They have no shooters, none. Defensive pressure is only half the battle to winning basketball games. They really needed a few guys that can spread the defence and give the bigs room to operate."

Even with their recent shooting slump they're still shooting 35% from three.

In fact, their whole game this season has been built around the big guys attracting attention and guys hitting shots on the perimeter, which worked very well until recently.

Their issue has been trying to change from a half-court style to a faster pace once Martin returned. They haven't mastered it yet, and maybe they're better off going back to their poised inside-outside game?

Reply #573488 | Report this post

They shoot well enough, just nowhere near as many attempts as every other team. Makes it easier for the D when they know a shot isn't going up from outside. I'd rather a guy shot 2 from 7 than 1 from 2.

Reply #573495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure they rested a player each time they played the Crocs in Townsville and lost both of those games

Reply #573497 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Trying to blame woes in a small portion of games on the overall game style is too simplistic because the method has worked overall.

In Queensland the Wildcats are 1-3 averaging 67.3ppg at 21% 3PFG. Across other venues they are 14-5 averaging 87.4ppg at 39%.

Reply #573498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah taking 28% for the game Vs 50% makes perfect sense.

Reply #573500 | Report this post

They didn't "rest" players. The players had injuries.

Reply #573501 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That should read 12-5!

Reply #573502 | Report this post

"Yeah taking 28% for the game Vs 50% makes perfect sense."

I guess that was meant to be sarcastic. If so, all it shows is a complete misunderstanding of what I posted.

Reply #573503 | Report this post

Cussie  
Years ago

Yes you don't do sarcasm well.

Reply #573505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson is a poor coach! He was terrible in Melb and let's be frank be bad in Perth!

He really stands over these blokes like they are U18's and try's to dictate every play call and set. Most coaches are moving away from this style of coaching in the pro ranks to a more open pace/space with single actions allowing players to read/react

Reply #573506 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"They shoot well enough, just nowhere near as many attempts as every other team. Makes it easier for the D when they know a shot isn't going up from outside. I'd rather a guy shot 2 from 7 than 1 from 2."

That completely depends on what comes next. If it's a post feed or drive that gets a bucket or draws a foul it's a good choice. The Wildcats lead the league in two-point buckets and are second in FT attempts.

As I said earlier, the offence has produced except in Queensland for whatever reason.

Reply #573507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson did not miss the playoffs in every season he was in Townsville and got those teams to overachieve every year too!

Reply #573508 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'll admit that I'm the first one to question certain tactics, but overall you have to judge a coach on his performance.
Gleeson won a championship in his first year with the Cats,
was doing well last year until the team was knackered by injuries,
and if I had to make a pick would be favourite to win this year.
Now, if say the Cats remain injury free, and they fall apart in the finals, then we can ask the questions.

Reply #573540 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Wildcats could be on the bottom of the ladder and mathematically out of playoff contention and they'd still be your favourite for the championship.

Reply #573541 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think I have been abundantly clear in numerous posts that I think the 'ship is wide open, with 4 teams well in contention.
All I'm saying is that if people insist on judging Gleeson at this point, then the Cats are in a good place, so maybe wait and see how the finals play out before condemning him.

Reply #573612 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Koberulz has a fair point there haha

Reply #573617 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754