Dazz
Years ago

2016 Best Defensive Player

So who do you think will be up for for the "Damian Martin Trophy" this season?

Martin is still close to the best defensive player in the league, but after missing so many games, and being hampered in others, you have to wonder if he can still pull it off.

Presumably Ogilvy and Lisch have to be in strong contention.
Part of it is that, apart from the obvious, I'm not sure what they consider to be "defensive."
Ogilvy gets a lot of blocks, steals, & D/R's but he also fouls a lot in the process. So is that good (or clumsy) defence? He also doesn't "protect" the ball well, committing a lot of turnovers. Does that count against him?
Similarly with someone like Cedric Jackson.

Topic #38828 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ogilvy then daylight. Im more than ok for a guy to commit fouls trying to block shots within reason. Plus he has changed a lot of shot attempts that you cant get stats for.

Reply #573616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom Jarvis for mine.

Reply #573620 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My All-Defensive Team would be:

Ogilvy
Worthington
Abercrombie
Jett
Lisch

I think I'd have Ogilvy just ahead of Worthington for DPOY with special thanks to Damian Martin's calf and jaw in his acceptance speech.

Reply #573622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul's been on the turps. You'd have Martin in an all defensive 5 before Jett!

Reply #573629 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Martin would be first picked if he hadn't missed a huge chunk of the season.

Reply #573630 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Oh ok. I find it hard to pick a "five", as I'd have a few guys competing for the 4 spot, but here it is anyway:
Cedric Jackson
Kevin Lisch
Torrey Craig
Worthington
Andrew Ogilvy

I'd pick Jackson and Wortho only based on what I understand the criteria to be, although personally on a defensive basis I would pick Martin and Ellis because they protect the ball better and/or don't commit as many fouls.

Reply #573664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin is by far the best defensive player in the league but he has missed way to many games to get enough votes

Reply #573665 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:10 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754