Anonymous
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers v Townsville Crocs 16 Jan 2016

Thoughts for this game?

Adelaide would be keen to atone for their loss here last time and are in-form.

Topic #38829 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Im tipping the 36ers by a bit. Crocs are tough and grind these games out but Adelaide have stuff to play for considering how the Breakers have 'issues' and aren't playing well either. 36ers by 12+ with the eye on that 4th spot.

Reply #573623 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree, but it's the games you can't see Townsville winning that they seem to get!

Reply #573626 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Adelaide for once I think will win one they should, having lost that unlosable game earlier makes me think they will lock in.

Reply #573627 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Every game is important for us from here on out. But these sorts of games we really can't afford to drop.

Reply #573628 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Can't see the 6ers having too many dramas getting this one.

Reply #573631 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If we let them score on literally every single possession, like we are at the moment, I'd say we'd have a couple dramas.

Reply #573632 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

You may be right

Reply #573633 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Adelaide don't deserve to make the finals with the defence they play or lack there of. Hawks will be slaughtering us based on this garbage. Curious of what Joey's excuse will be.

Reply #573634 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Who cares about defence when you're on track for 50+ in a half :p

Reply #573635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

f-ing woeful from Adelaide, everything to play for yet absolutely no f**ks given to defence whatsoever

get em next season

Reply #573636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised to see the suns rack up so many points so far. I also like the look of their unis

Reply #573637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the significance of the number 23 on there back of the yellow heritage shirts the fans wear?

Reply #573638 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Great to see Ebe lasted in Adelaide real great pickup of true import standard. 4 minutes played for a -2, that's what we want to see. This team is shite, only bat the Breakers because they have a North Melbourne debacle on their hands.

Reply #573639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol, sixers close to within 6 but can't even close out the final 4 seconds of the half with a stop...

Reply #573640 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

64 points given up to any NBL team in a half is woeful.

Reply #573641 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Atleast they were able to hold Samhan to a respectable 16 on 7-7 shooting. FML

Reply #573642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Melbourne debacle?

Reply #573643 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Probs just rumours, but think King Carey, no idea who.

Reply #573644 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

At a quick glance, Townsville's 64 in the first half would have been enough to win 9 games this season (or 6 once you consider that 3 of those sub-64 full time scores were by the Crocs)

Reply #573645 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I assumed Ere was injured. But he's back playing.
8:55 for 1 steal, 1 assist, 1 rebound 1 foul and 3 missed shots for our import.

Reply #573646 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He is absolutely pathetic excuse for an import. Whoever made that selection should be shot!

Reply #573647 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I see Chris Cedar playing for Townsville tonight. When did he join the team? And whatever happened to his brother? Michael always seemed like a handy young player, then he just disappeared.

Reply #573648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon Sixers, put the hammer down now

Reply #573649 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

27-14 that quarter. Much better. And we're 5 points up.

Reply #573650 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

27 through 3 quarters for Randle. Can we keep him please? We'll give him Ere's money.

Reply #573651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL = just run into the lane and you are guaranteed to get to the line for free throws...

If you dare to play any defense in the NBL, you will be punished.

Reply #573652 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

We're lucky Leon Henry can't make free throws.

Reply #573653 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah agreed. Adelaide have been very bad tonight, they haven't closed this out as much as the Crocs have let themselves down.

Reply #573654 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Just keep feeding Randle at one end and hacking Henry at the other.

Reply #573655 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

win is a win

Reply #573656 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Umpiring was abysmal all game both ways. Just making random calls all game.

Reply #573657 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Well, we won. So there's that.
34 and 6 for Randle. What a beast!
20 and 11 for DJ. Another solid game by him.
Problem with that is the opposition PG and C had 50, 13 and 8 between them. So they gave up almost as much as they scored.

Reply #573658 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

64 given up in 20minutes is not going to get it done. Really disappointing effort, its about being playoff hungry this time of year not just falling over the line. Adelaide's defensive form is not good. United and the Hawks will eat them up.

Reply #573659 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

What is the record for free throws taken in a 40 minute game? 36ers definitely got the better of them and that's ultimately what won them the game.

Reply #573660 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

We had 43 free throw attempts? Wow!
2 foul outs, 4 guys with 4, 2 with 3.
They had 7 fouls in the last 3 mins, trying to catch up. But still.

Reply #573661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL 43 Fts....looks like the NBL wants to keep as many teams alive for the post season as possible.

Reply #573662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good win in the end! Didn't play the best coming of a weird month schedule-wise and in a gym they have now won what? 2 of their last 17? I'll take that! Dangerous team at the current time.

Reply #573663 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The referees display tonight was appalling. It was that bad the league should consider standing them down for a few weeks.

There was no clear direction on what a foul was or how much hand checking is going to be let go etc. Too many phantom calls tonight, at this level you can get away with 4 a game. These guys were pulling 4 a quarter, each.

Reply #573668 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Gibson 16 minutes... Wtf?

Reply #573669 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

For heritage round the referees for this game travelled back to October 2013 and called every foul that did and did not occur! So strange they pulled out a game like that in the midst of the refs letting plenty go around the league?

Good win in the end by Adelaide and that's all that counts, they currently sit fourth hoping the Hawks can keep them there tomorrow.

If NZ do have some terminal internal issues the 36ers are in good shape. If the Breakers can turn it around their game in Adelaide will be massive.

Reply #573670 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

The only thing more pathetic than Ere as an import is the continued harping by Sixers "supporters" Kobe24 and Hendo888.

Reply #573678 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

How so Bake? He is ordinary and yet look how close the 36ers are to being legit. Imagine if he was actually of standard import level, hence the frustration. Its not good enough, hasnt been all season. People discuss things on here that annoy them all the time, hence it is constantly discussed. It all goes away if he was any good and made a few shots.

Reply #573681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We've said before that you can't only assess on court statistics when measuring a player's value. Ere is well respected for what he's done in his career and is the type of veteran that can reinforce the words of the coach, as he has a very good relationship with Wright. The Sixers strong chemistry and mentality is starting to show through now with this play-off push after looking out of it earlier in the season.

Reply #573682 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The issue I have are with the people who bagged Ervin from the moment he was signed, then Wilson from the moment he was signed, then Ere from the moment he was signed.

The first two turned out to be excellent signings, as for the last one, well even a broken clock is right twice a day.

FWIW I think Wright is hoping Ere will be like Bradkte in the 07 Bullets team, who contributed next to nothing during the year but was very important in the playoffs.

Reply #573684 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Kobe, it is annoying because it is predictable, unoriginal and highly highly repetitive.

Was it you who swore the Sixers would not make the finals unless they replaced Ebi? Certainly you have bagged Wright at every turn for his choices. Not there by any measure yet, but at 11-9, these Sixers have done pretty well. Wright yet again, as he repeatedly has done, putting together a competitive team that will give it a shake working with the pieces he has got to play with.

Reply #573685 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah they probs wont make ther finals. So whats the point. He is shite for an import. Bradteke was a Aussie so a great addition veteran wise.

Reply #573686 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

"Yeah they probs wont make ther finals. So whats the point. He is shite for an import. Bradteke was a Aussie so a great addition veteran wise"

Kobe24 they are more likely to make the finals than you are making a lucid comment about the team or the coach.

You have never offered any evidence of any basketball experience that adds credence to your argument. The old line that this is a forum to air your views almost without challenge, because everyone has right to an opinion, also has become tiresome.

I had decided not to give your argument any oxygen by not commenting on your infantile posts,so I suppose you have sucked me in, but not anymore

Reply #573774 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Bake if you had it over again would you have signed Ebe? Or if all things were the same would you resign him next season? I need credentials to eye off an import should've been cut any nearly was? This team could've been special

Reply #573778 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

But having said all that, I do hope the 6ers seak in and do something crazy cos sport is never predictable and that's why we love and live for it! Nothing more needs to be said about a bad business decision imo, it's the home stretch and hopefully I'll be getting my playoff tickets organised. Playing the Hawks twice is the issue for my negativity of the playoffs. Giving up 64 to the crocs in 20min, well imagine what a hot Hawks team would do!

Reply #573779 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

In all honesty I didn't like the signing of Ere from the start, but following his signing he, along with joey and the rest of the team, he has my unreserved support.

Reply #573781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe24 Do you think it's possible the 36ers had Randle on their radar before the season but couldn't get him here in time for the start? Maybe it was smoke and mirrors Ere was our #1 import. I bet you Ere is one of the lowest paid imports in the NBL. Johnson, Randle and Gibbo would probably be taking nearly the same amount as Ogilvy, Lisch and Penney. Gibbo held $40,000 back last year to fit Motum in ( I've heard from a reliable source ) so would be on a fair packet this season.

Give the man some slack. Yes at times ere is frustrating but last night he hit 2 clutch 3s and had 2 nice stops defensively.

Like someone said before on this thread, we seem to bag every import at the Sixers unless they're In the Farley category ( like Randle is now )

Reply #573782 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

No chance the 36ers had Randle on their radar. Zero. Mcnial getting injured has saved a few people their jobs.

Reply #573783 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

And my issue is not with Ebe himself, jesus if they offered me a contract id take it, he wouldve been stupid not to sign. Problem lies with management not doing their due diligence and checking on his weight etc before signing him. Is what it is now though.

Reply #573784 | Report this post

Check your facts  
Years ago

No way they had Randle on the radar???? Guess again mr know it all!

Check Joeys FB page and see what date he originally posted about Randle and his exceptional skills. You'll find he's been on the radar for quite a while indeed

Reply #573785 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

So then he was on their radar, but they still signed 2 pretty mediocre guys. Ok i was wrong, im ok with that. Pity he didnt have someone else besides the 2 he picked initially on his radar... We have a stud and we have a dud, its what it is.

Reply #573786 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Guess i assumed it wouldve been a 'no way', because there is a big difference between Randle and the 2 he actually chose initially is what im basing my opinion on. I dont check Joey Wright FB, so my bad.

Reply #573787 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Maybe it was smoke and mirrors Ere was our #1 import.
Has anyone other than posters on here ever actually said Ere was the number one import? That seems to have been an assumption people here made for no obvious reason whatsoever.

Reply #573788 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ere was brought in to fill the role Crawford played last season.

Reply #573789 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

So Adelaide signed an import to replace a veteran playing barely 10 minutes a game at the end of a very good career. There was the mistake right there, imports are the key parts, not after thoughts. Our Aussie talent is good, but Creek hasnt exactly gone to the next level nor Walker, so that import spot wouldve been better replacing a Motum type, not bench player.

Reply #573796 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Johnson on a full contract replaced Motum, McNeail/Randle replaced Wilson, Walker replaced Anthony/Johnson, Hodgson replaced Schenscher, Sobey replaced Daly, Ere replaced Crawford.

Reply #573799 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Thats fine to match it up like that, but your coming to me as an owner telling me to spend on an import spot, and saying Ebi Ere is the only option we have, guys are dying to play if they dont want to play D-League. Nonsense signing, and its cost them with his poor shooting form and vulnerability on defence. Besides is amazing shoe game, he offers very little.

Reply #573804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Position wise pauls match ups are probably how they looked at it

But $$$ wise ebi would have replaced schenscher and Hodgson replaced Crawford and therefore ebi needs to be a upgrade on schenscher not Crawford if the team is to improve, which he hasn't been other than 1 or 2 games.

As i highly doubt ebi is as cheap as crawford would've been

I agree with above that you shouldn't bring in a import to replace crawford in the first place. They could have grabbed say everard bartlett or another cheap aussie for this role and grabbed a better import either a prather/craig type sf or a ebekwe type c and we would've been better off .

I was ok with bringing ebi in and seeing how he went, his overseas numbers were ok and looked similar to kirk penney but he has not been anything close to penney this season which he should of been so therefore we should of replaced him after around the first 4 games when it was clear he gad dropped off

Gibbo had also had mostly a poor season. I hope we continue to play creek more minutes than him.

Thank god for randle he has kept us going offensively and never gives up.

Reply #573806 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

No doubt Ere has, on any view, underperformed. That said, your campaign against him has grown very wearisome and derails every single thread about the Sixers.

We get it, you don't like this signing. You really have no idea how much $$ Ere is on, what the club's expectations of him are, or what the justifications are for not replacing him mid-season with a $150,000+ replacement import. It might just be time that you get over it.

Reply #573807 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

No worries XY, just seems to be a pretty big factor to wins and losses when you dont get an NBL import spot right. Ill let it go, for the sake of the threads, just be great not having to roll the eyes everytime he comes in next season.

Reply #573808 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No doubt they were hoping Ere would perform much better than PC, which he hasn't yet, but they went down the route of a role playing import like two of the past six championship winners have. I have no problem with that philosophy.

Reply #573826 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

When Conklin became available he shouldve been outed quick smart. That was when the philosophy really broke down, and it was close, but word is he had a no cut clause. Well played Ebi. Hopefully Randle and DJ can do something special, as the Breakers have definitely left the door open out of nowehere!

Reply #573828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No problems with role playing imports my suggestions of craig or ibekwe fits this.

The role playing import needs to successfully fill a role that helps the team something ebi hasn't done unfortunately.

Reply #573829 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Torrey Craig is a franchise piece compared to the role we are getting out of our number 2. Thats part the problem, he was so bad so consistently so early on and they didnt make the move for a Craig type, then Conklin became available and wouldve been cheap and still nothing.

Reply #573830 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Conklin would only have been a good choice in a fantasy league, Adelaide need someone who can spread the floor and defend the perimeter.

Reply #573831 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Point is he would've been better than Ebe. That is the only point I'm making there and we sure as hell could've done with some extra inside presence. Your take Ebe over Conklin Paul?

Reply #573832 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The 36ers would've had to change the way they play to try and accommodate an out of form player who was making his old team worse by being on the court, so at that point in time I definitely would have kept the status quo if Conklin was the only option.

Of course, he wasn't and I would have made a change if there was a decent 3&D guy available. As I said before, I suspect Wright didn't do that because he thinks Ere can 'do a Bradtke' in the playoffs. We'll see.

Reply #573870 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Out of form is what Ebi does best. So we will agree to disagree would've snatched him up in seconds compared to the crap the status quo offers.

Reply #573887 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It suggests to me you don't understand how a team works. It takes weeks and weeks to incorporate a new player properly, even more if it's someone who changes team balance significantly, and even more again if that player is playing poorly.

You take the out of form you know over the out of form you don't know any day of the week.

Reply #573888 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

You would have taken Conklin, shooting at 25%, and getting suspended for ill-discipline, and getting sacked for underperforming and generally disrupting team chemistry, and whose team has generally played better in his absence (and certainly with more heart), over Ere who is shooting at 38% in a team winning more than they are losing?

You could not mount a better argument about your lack of perspective over this issue.

Reply #573908 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No Conklin. They should've moved Ere earlier and spent up. Get LK to OK it.

I suspect Joey isn't keen to dump a friend, and the club are short of money.

IMO, LK should buy the 36ers and have them run at arm's length.

Reply #573915 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think LK has far bigger issues to worry about in Brisbane and Sydney than a team that's playing +.500 basketball and drawing decent crowds!

Reply #573921 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

... and has made the playoffs the past two years.

Reply #573922 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Sigh, i give up. Conklin is not my option but yes would've been better than who we have. End of the day, he should've been moved for who, it wouldn't matter, anyone would've been better than what Joey's mate is. But blah blah blah been said and my perspective on the game is warped because I don't think we picked the right import.

Reply #573924 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Ah, I get it, you would have preferred Scott Christopherson, is that what you mean?

Ebi has unfortunately underperformed, but he is far from the worst import we have ever had. If he was shooting 45% from the field and 37% from the 3 I think he would have achieved all reasonable expectations.

38% and 32% doesn't cut it for what else he is bringing, but your continued hyperbole about him is over the top. It seems to be a manic fixation with you.

Reply #573935 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's an old-fashioned view that imports should be stars, dating back to the 80s and early 90s when there wasn't the depth of local talent there is today.

The past three seasons Adelaide have gone with one role-playing import to accommodate a quality core of Aussies and one star import. It' the same tactic Perth and NZ have used in recent years (2010 and 2013) and won championships with.

Wright hasn't got that role-playing import pick right yet - Frye, Montreal and Ere - and I have no problem with anyone pointing out that Ere is struggling.

But I'm with XY that it's painful to read it in every 36ers thread, especially when there was the same negativity around Ervin and Wilson when they were both excellent.

Reply #573941 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The tribe has spoken to then. All hail Ebi Ere, I say it all the time because he struggles all the time. He didn't need to be a star but he did need to be capable. I'm done he won't be back so I'll take solice in that and hope for a better combo next season.

Reply #573969 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We all know he's struggling , we all know they could have done better, we all know they should have made a change. Can we just take it as implied unless he sinks to a new low?

As a 36ers fan, you should just hope he does find some old form for the playoffs, because that could be the difference.

Reply #573973 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

No, you said it in this game after Ebi had been on court for only 4 minutes for a +/- of -2 (which means absolutely nothing). It was yet another unnecessary snipe apparently intended to support your crusade against Ebi and the club.

Then the Sixers won the game, with Ebi hitting two crucial 3s which broke the back of Townsville's resistance.

I am not saying Ebi had a great game or was the difference. Nobody is disagreeing with your principle point about his (poor) performance. Whether you are trying deliberately to misunderstand the point that is actually being made, or whether you truly just don't understand is what is unclear.

Reply #573974 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's it XY, it's the constant "crusade" against so much of what the club and Wright does.

These past three years have been close to the toughest the league has ever been yet Adelaide are close to a third straight playoff appearance on a mid-range budget.

Reply #573976 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

It's just amazes me how you guys are so go with the flow in regards to it. I'm so pissed he wasn't cut when he should've been and unless he wasn't mates with the coach would've been. Bizarre to me. But whatever I'll take my crusade elsewhere and play the glass half full card.

Reply #573982 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754