Sixers Fan
Years ago

Potential Imports To Become Aussie/NZ Citizens

Was talking with a mate about how their used to be so many naturalised Americans playing in the NBL but nowadays there are none. Why has this happened? It's so useful to get a job in the NBL to be a local. Why don't guys like Daequon Montreal, Garrett Jackson and Cory Dixon try for citizenship to play NBL, they would all be locks for an NBL roster. Are there any imports currently in the NBL who can go for citizenship? Cedric Jackson comes to mind and maybe Jerome Randle seeing how much he loves it here and an extension is on the cards.

Topic #38845 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Guys like Cedric Jackson and Jerome Randle can get jobs regardless of their citizenship status. Also consider that they might be quite attached to their purely US citizenship and it would be quite the step to naturalise and set up camp here.

For guys playing here year after year, it'd probably make sense.

Reply #574058 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cedric has been pursuing citizenship with help from the Breakers since he signed his current deal. I read someone from the Breakers or BBNZ say they were about "half way there" last winter. Don't know whether anything has changed.

Reply #574062 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Lisch did, given the Aussie wife and kids.

Reply #574068 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know what the current "naturalised" rule is, but I seem to recall that in the past there was a delay between becoming a citizen and being eligibl to play as a nuralised player.
In any event, the first step is citizenship, and that's not as easy as you might think, certainly not as easy as it perhaps once was.

Previously there was a visa just for sports people, now they have to apply for a regular 401 (temporary work - long stay visa). It pretty much pro-forma for a professionals sports person, but its still only a TEMPORARY visa. Whereas to even begin the Citizenship process they must first become a permanent resident. After that, eligibility depends on how time spent in and out of the country.

My understanding is that the chances were introduced to exclude those who obtained residency, but then pissed off and spent most of their time in their home country. However, it might also effect professional sportsmen who spent so much overseas playing in different leagues.

Lisch would be in a different category because he married an Australian. Its not an "automatic" entitlement as it once was, but once he has permanent residence the rules are different, because he can maintain his "connection to Australia" even when overseas.

Reply #574071 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Was talking with a mate about how their used to be so many naturalised Americans playing in the NBL but nowadays there are none.
Shawn Redhage.

Reply #574076 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Dion Prewster, believe it or not.

Reply #574086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does halfway there mean? I didn't realise citizenship applications were that complicated.

Regarding prewster I thought he was a kiwi. When you say believe it outer not do you mean can you believe an American is so crap?

I would like to see dolla beal take on citizenship. He seems to have embraced the franchise and community and has been here a few years now.

Reply #574090 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, it's just because most people assume he's a Kiwi when he plays for the TBs as a naturalised player.

Reply #574091 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The more Aussie citizen ships the better, especially when it comes to hoopers!

No 'trump ideologies here'

Reply #574141 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Def needs to be more, then we can see stacked rosters again like the 90's.

Crawford, Pinder, M.Davis, Fisher, Grace and I believe Copeland naturalised allowing their teams to have space to reload. Sure there were heaps more.

Boti article:

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/once-everyone-needed-one-or-two/

Reply #574143 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I was actually thinking of the benefits of them having families here and producing the next generation of Ben's, Kyrie's and Dante's...

Reply #574159 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know about Pindar, but yes at one point the Cats had Crawford, Fisher, and Grace all Naturalised, giving them at times an all American starting 5.

Personally, the main reason I like it, is that I love to see players sticking around. Its great to see the same faces year after year.

Quite sad that Lisch left when he did, and is now playing for the Hawks. When Redhage retires we will have none.
Apart from the few years between Grace and Redhage, that will be a big change for the Cats.

Not sure what Beal's plans are...

Reply #574179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Kevin Lisch is undergoing the naturalisation process. Jerome Randle has already undergone that process as a Ukranian would you believe!!!

Reply #574242 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

A somebody mentioned in the Wildcats Thread, Beal would be great but its not something I'd pick from the public persona. In the past, players seems to have been happy to make Perth their home for several years. Ricky Grace is still here. I get the feeling that Beal likes it fine, but he'll go wherever his career and the game takes him.
Once again though, pure speculation...

Reply #574304 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Yep, Crawford and Pinder were naturalised, which meant they could have Grace and Pete Hansen back in those days.. what a team.

Reply #574442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why even bother with import restrictions? All it means is great players for our league like Beal etc "could" be lost to us.

Reply #574443 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Mmmm, instead we could have a minimum of 6 Aussies in the team. haha.

Reply #574448 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind seeing an amendment, based on the "loyalty" provisions. As I understand it, an import remains 10 points, but I wouldn't mind a system whereby after say 5 years with one team, an import could play as a local. SO similar effect to naturalisation, without relying on the shifting sands of our citizenship politics.

Reply #574502 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:40 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754