Blitz101
Years ago

Wildcats Announcement?

I noticed Tim Gossage had a tweet today
@TimGossage: Any @PerthWildcats fans know about a huge announcement / signing within the next 24 hours? #recruit Anyone have any insight?

Topic #38851 | Report this topic

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

I haven't heard anything.... Interesting, who could they be signing so late?

Reply #574220 | Report this post

Andy Stewart to replace Trevor Gleeson as Head Coach for Season 2016/17...

Reply #574227 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Would be very surprised if it was a player signing as there wouldn't be enough games left for a new player to qualify for the finals. Maybe they are going to announce Ennis for next year hehe

Reply #574229 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

or maybe Lachie Reid is coming back as court side announcer :P

Reply #574230 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I know they are getting right behind the bushfire appeal, under the "WA Stands Together" banner. (Title taken from the Wildcats Anthem.) Not sure if that is new news or not.

But as for a "big signing"? No clue.
At this point in the season, the only thing I would expect might be a RE-signing, somebody agreeing to a longer contract? Speculating wildly here...
Perhaps with Brisbane coming back, and speculation about Bevo chasing players, they are keep to pre-empt the usual off-season meat-market?

The other possibility, and it's kinda the opposite of a "big signing" is that I am half expecting the retirement of Shawn Redhage. His minutes keep dropping, and I keep wondering if he is being dogged by an injury.
Again, pure speculation...

Reply #574231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachie Reid is coming back. He is the difference!

Reply #574240 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

My money is on Redhage retiring.

Either that or Beal/Prather re-signing.

Reply #574241 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

They could be attempting to short out Brisbane by resigning Jawai

Reply #574243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope Perth keep Jawai.

Reply #574244 | Report this post

Ugly Igley  
Years ago

Cody Ellis to Perth for 2016/17?

Reply #574258 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Wildcats to respect the salary cap in future

Reply #574260 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I think Beal naturalises

Reply #574270 | Report this post

Has he been here long enough?

I don't see him naturalising. He's a "free spirit" and don't think being tied down to one place when he can explore the world is in his nature. Happy to be wrong.

Reply #574271 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Wildcats to trade Jawai for Loughton.

Reply #574272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol @ Bake (insert crying eyes emoji)

Reply #574273 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Knowing Gossage - it's most likely Lachie Reid being signed to be the game MC for the Australia Day Even match where the focus will be on fund raising for the Bush Fires in the State's south west.

Reply #574274 | Report this post

Jerry  
Years ago

Prather re-signing?

Reply #574278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 3 points that Dixon was heartlessly robbed of last game will be credited to the Wildcats at the start of this game. Game will start Cats 3, Hawks 0, with Hawks getting possession from the baseline.

Reply #574281 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'd be stoked with a Prather Re-signing bout I doubt it will happen.

Reply #574284 | Report this post

hahahaha nice #281

Reply #574285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Relationship with NBA or Asia side to be formally announced.

Reply #574300 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Wildcats have just tweeted " There'll be a BIG surprise for the #RedArmy at tonight’s game! What will it be...? "

It better be good, I have a strong dislike for over hyping

Reply #574301 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's Redhage's 35th Birthday today, so I am thinking it might be something related, but they would hardly tweet his retirement as a "big surprise."

To be honest, it's starting to smell like over-hype.

Reply #574303 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

The red morph suit guys will be removing their red boxer shorts for one night only!

Reply #574305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could be announcing a new range of square pizzas with nicer toppings.

Reply #574314 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Lol @ #281 also, well played.

Reply #574333 | Report this post

Jerry  
Years ago

What was the announcement?

Reply #574353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lackie Reid is courtside announcer for tonight

Reply #574356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea to bring lachie back for a must win game. He really helped turn the game around in the second quarter. Hopefully he is back for future big games

Reply #574415 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I think the Cats were trying to permanently get him back . It would be nice but I think it might be a stretch with all the other stuff he has going on.

Reply #574455 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He needs to either come back full time or not at all, IMO. These occasional one-off returns just make it all the more obvious how much better he is than the other guys.

Reply #574485 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, Lachie is the best, nice to have him back.

Reply #574498 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's fun to get steamed up and loud, but I'm never really sure if it has much effect on the players...
Yet, with Cats down by 10 points, Lachie got the whole crowd on their feet clapping & yelling, and the Cats mounted a comeback, took the lead, and never looked back...
As a fan, its always nice to think it might have helped.

Reply #574499 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I think Neil Barnard does a great job and I would hope he's still the number one option. Lachie is good to have as a fill in. Its very likely that he was just that though - filling in. His impact was great, but at the same time the Cats are doing well with Neil too. So its not as though they were in need of a replacement.

I'm a Lachie Reid fan like a lot of fans are, so I hope he can do a few more games, for the variety of having different announcers during the season.

Reply #574501 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

The thing I find strange about Neil Barnard is that he seems to lack the almost.. familiarity with the players on the court. Lachie Reid's chats or talks with the crowd use actual players names... so for instance with Kenny made that shot from just outside the line, Lachie spoke up about it just after it happened, mentioned his name several times and even mimic'd the shot to the crowd later.

I dont remember Neil ever getting as involved.

Reply #574503 | Report this post

Announcer  
Years ago

I can confirm Lachy Reid will be the announcer for the remainder of this season.

Reply #574508 | Report this post

Haz, the crowds have been flat all season. Last night was easily the loudest and most involved. No offence to the other guys that do it but Lachie brings an energy they don't

Reply #574511 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

^ Good point. I guess I'm not that fussed about what the court announcer brings as far as getting the crowd up and about, just as long as he's not annoying, and neither Neil or Lachie are annoying. Both have different takes on the game.

Reply #574749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The court announcer isnt there to get the crowds up and about. That is a job for someone else.
The NBL continues to ignore this, unless its that stupi moron for the United that seens his job as making personal comments whils on the mic.

Reply #574764 | Report this post

Whatever you call the job, he does a good job and the league is better for having crowds which are enjoying the atmosphere of the games.

Reply #574766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The court announcer may commence a chant but not continue it."

Reply #574807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:53 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754