Anonymous
Years ago

Eltham Dandenong Tournament

The world's largest junior basketball tournament starts tonight.

If you see a middle aged bloke in shorts with a Sydney Kings t shirt on... come and say hi.

Good luck to all. But especially if you're Eltham. ..hehe

Topic #38855 | Report this topic

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Don't know why it listed me as anon... but I am the OP.

Reply #574294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fixtures are a debacle

Reply #574298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed fixture this year is terrible

Reply #574302 | Report this post

Years ago

just here to play

Reply #574346 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

not happy to see interstate teams only get 4 games whilst locals get 5
lot of obey for parents to pay to come over for 4 games when 5 is the usual for everyone else

Reply #574348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mmmm. Good old Eltham

Reply #574408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is people run these things as volunteers for a year or 2. Don't care about the sport or the long term sustainability of their program beyond their own children moving through.

This tournament will get smashed next year back to where the Norwood Easter Carnival is now.

Reply #574410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same old people overseeing it thou so won't change till they retire or pass on

Reply #574423 | Report this post

really  
Years ago

Pretty easy to sit here and complain when none of us have any idea what has gone on behind the scenes in creating the fixtures.

The tournament has grown each year and still is one of the better ones that I have been to.

The way Australia Day fell this year, and the next 3 years, makes it hard to organise as it is not really a long weekend.

I have been involved in bringing lots of players from interstate for this tourney and it has always been a great experience. Ideally it would be nice to play the 5 games, but if the teams make finals then they will have more than enough games to get a great experience.

Fixturing is always a problem. I have seen a lot of issues with tournaments that only have less than 100 teams playing. I don't think any of the keyboard warriors can imagine what it is like to have 1300 teams to fixture.

Well done Eltham and Dandenong...

Reply #574426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really - you are kidding yourself. U16 girls playing at 10.30 on a Thursday night then backing up on Friday night. $$$ exercise.

Reply #574433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you not happy dont play...simple really

Reply #574435 | Report this post

really  
Years ago

And the problem is???

The first time our interstate teams came across it was a huge shock to be playing at 10pm (most tourneys in our home state have a last time slot at 6pm)

But this was all part of the experience.

Obviously with 1300 teams it is impossible to have everyone playing between 9am and 5pm. And it is a tournament, you should be expecting it to be physically challenging with having to back up day after day.

As a side note, I see games at the Australian Open starting well into the late hours of the night and this is a professional tournament with lots of $$$ on the line.

Reply #574437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which children play at the Australian Open and pay for the privilege?

Reply #574438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scheduling is always an issue but with 1300 teams there is never going to be 100% of people happy.

What i would like to see is the players rego fees built into our team fees, that will clean up the shambles that was trying to get into Dandy stadium last night!! line was out the door and 3/4's of the way up the building.

Reply #574439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really - congrats, someone with a balanced view.

Not everyone will be happy with everything the happens at a tournament. Its a kids event for them to get back into it and have some fun.

To fit 1300 teams into the amount of courts available is no easy task. Maybe the Government could build some more courts for the kids to play on?

If its so bad, why are there over 1300 teams? How many are at the Bendigo tournament? or does that not run on Australia Day any more?

Reply #574441 | Report this post

gelder  
Years ago

$$$$ wouldn't think so. $30 player pass and $10 spectator pass for Tourney.

Reply #574492 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

"not happy to see interstate teams only get 4 games whilst locals get 5
lot of obey for parents to pay to come over for 4 games when 5 is the usual for everyone else"

Not sure if you perused every fixture ... but in our pool of 6 teams we have 2 SA teams who are playing 5 games as well as us "locals". In past ED toruneys ... we have had random teams playing one less game than others because of fixturing or whatever. But the toruney has a formula for win/loss ratios that help decide who gets into finals. If you do play one less game ... you would be fresher for finals anyway. The player pass is still the same price no matter how many games you play.

"Pretty easy to sit here and complain when none of us have any idea what has gone on behind the scenes in creating the fixtures."

Yeah ... as an Eltham parent .. I have heard about some fixture problems ( app. about 20 games in some sorta mix) ... mind you ,... not bad for a 1300 plus team tourney over 4 days and many venues.

Our rep games here in Vic can start as late as 9.45 on a Friday night .... and that could be getting home an hour after the finish .... so was interesting to hear the bemoanings of late starts.

After playing last night, we have had a late change where we now play Sunday morning at 8am (!!) after playing 3 Saturday games. Don't forget ,.. our boys will then have to back up for finals on Sunday should they make it.

Reply #574530 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Norwood is no where near this tournament.

Reply #574531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about you don't be greedy and limit the number of teams

Reply #574533 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Some people just need to complain.
I was out at eltham late last night and unless I misread the situation I saw a ton of kids having fun in a sport they love. But let's limit teams so some of these kids miss out.

For the haters, get over yourself and next year either put your hand up to help make it better or do us all a favour and stay home...

Reply #574563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People have the right to complain. This is not the tournaments first year. They should have this down pat by now. There is a certain level of professionalism that people expect from these two clubs and that expectation wasn't met. Yes there will always be hiccups but there were an unusually large number of bone head mistakes that could have easily be avoided. Crtisism will actually help this tournament be better. So welcome the feed back and make it better..

Reply #574565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct, you could largely fixture a year ahead and make tweaks in early Jan. Circus.

Reply #574566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Dandenong and Eltham are making tons of dollars from this and the deplorable state of the fixturing is out of control. So manually driven with so many volunteers working through the night. Pay out some of that coin for a computer program that can get it done quickly and efficiently. Yes volunteers are great but barking at people because the organisers can't schedule a chook raffle is a joke. Time to get real and start being professional about things. Giving people fixture changes once the tournament has kicked off is a complete joke

Reply #574580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a lot of people don't realise the difference not having the public holiday on the Monday really makes. The last time this tournament was run without the public holiday, there would have been well over 150 less teams entering. Some 'big' clubs have also given organisers the run around with late entries and last minute changes etc.

Reply #574583 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Technology should improve things, but teams do have to commit early to make such events run smoothly. Perhaps it is getting too big, just wondering...

Reply #574584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should interstate teams not be able to question why in one pool of A division the 2 teams with only 4 games when others have 5 is the interstates who have travelled 10 hours and paying accommodation and travel costs and taken days off work. Especially when it is the hardest pool with Knox, Dandenong, Tigers etc getting the 5 games. Does not entice returning when this happens year in year out. The opportunity for teams to play those they do not experience in normal competition is also beneficial to the Melbourne teams as well and not unreasonable to ask the question. Just sayin.

Reply #574616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes fixtures are very unbalanced. Good teams are missing finals and poor ones making it because of bad fixturing. It really is a shambles this year - worst run in memory.

Reply #574617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one in Australia takes any notice who wins or makes finals.
I say just enjoy and chill.

Reply #574646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed no one cares who win it

Reply #574664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the kids care who wins. Ian that who this tournament is for?

Reply #574665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If nobody cares about winning then why do they play. What a ridiculous statement. Teams realistically know if they have a chance or not and accept losses but they would still like to win and that is the point of carnivals. Everyone wants to improve over the games and that is the biggest benefit and that comes from trying to win. . It is also about fair equitable scheduling though to make it worth the families while to spend so much money travelling interstate or they would be better off just playing some local domestic games in the next age group up.

Reply #574672 | Report this post

"Some 'big' clubs have also given organisers the run around with late entries and last minute changes etc."

Shouldn't that be as simple as "this is the cut off date - full stop", no favours for "big clubs". Then fixtures can be set and all teams in a pool play each other instead of unequal games. Not rocket science.

Reply #574702 | Report this post

toll way prince  
Years ago

Great tourney - very happiness

Reply #574710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The big kid for Sturt in the U18 Grand Final was absolutely dominant. In the couple of games I saw none of our teams over here had anyone close to stopping him.

Reply #574713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the update

Reply #574714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this tournament is so important to you or your son/daughter , pick up the football or netball.
Who won who cares as long as everyone got court time.
State team nationals are later in the year when people take notice.

Reply #574720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

720 Why are you being vicious and what has netball and football got to do with wanting a fair amount of games and basketball ? Again what has national state selection or showcasing got to do with the tournament as well. You are making assumptions that are not correct let alone relevant to the comments about scheduling discussed. You obviously think you know which team we are involved with and our motivations which are far from what you are suggesting. No one is rubbishing the tournament but asking the question about scheduling as we know Eltham organisers read these posts. We had already made direct with no response hence using this forum to see if others felt the same. So take your hate and assumptions elsewhere and allow those who wish to have discussions continue.

Reply #574723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The scheduling was poor, we had to assume which quarterfinal we were in (there were 4 at 2 different stadiums at the same time), because it never appeared on sporting pulse until Sunday morning and no one emailed it. But, this tournament is about getting the cobwebs out and the kids all getting a run and having some fun, which they did, so in our minds it was a good tournament.
Perfection in terms of organisation was not expected.

Reply #574728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never ever has it she run so bad
Refs doing 8 plus games a day
Fixtures all over the place
Very disappointing

Reply #574753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can they even just update their information and keep it up to date?!?!?!?!

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/trophyroom.cgi?c=1-9202-0-0-0&a=tr_hb

Reply #574756 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yes I hope they can run things a bit better next year on the Eltham side. They told 5 teams by phone that they had made finals in B/C girls all the teams turned up to play so then had to tell one team that they in fact had not made it.

Reply #574760 | Report this post

Years ago

If you have some understanding and previous results are up - you should be able to work out if you are in the finals

Reply #574762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least some results still not published lol

Reply #574768 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

anon 762 I have been involved in this tournament for many years always on the Dandenong side - no problems,results and ladders up reasonably quickly.This was my first time on the Eltham side and results and ladders were very slow to be put up - in fact this afternoon some G/Final results not up surely it is not unreasonable to expect improvement?

Reply #574771 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Well... we hwd our problems saved until the finals.

We needed Nunawading to lose their last game for us to get in . The office were swearing that Nuna won, one of my son's teammates had a mate on the Nunawading team who said they lost. So we went to the Bulleen stadium on the premise that the Nunawading kid was being legit. He was and the venue supervisor finally confirmed our boys were in.

All in all though. .. another very enjoyable tournament.

Reply #574972 | Report this post

Sb  
Years ago

Only one issues, an U12 team had a 9.30pm Friday game backed up by a 8am on Saturday. Now I don't expect everything to be perfect as it must be a fixturing nightmare and sometimes things may get overlooked, I think this was just overlooked.
Apart from that 12yrs I have entered this tournament and I love it, every year it grows and they should be proud of that. Those whining, perhaps you should put your hand up and offer assistance as I am sure they are always looking for volunteers.
Can't wait till next year.

Reply #574979 | Report this post

Years ago

U12s at 9.30 pm? What grade? You don't mean 19.30?

Reply #574980 | Report this post

Sb  
Years ago

U12 Casey 6 v's Saints 10/2 in pool C2 DBA played a 21.30 or 9.30pm Saturday night game then an 8am Sunday final. It's still posted if you wish to look, things like this can happen but in this circumstance you would hope common-sense prevails next time so that no U12 team plays after 8pm or 20.00 if you like it that way, at least don't make them back it up at 8am the next day. Not when all the other teams in that grade played their last game at 6.30pm Saturday.

Reply #575040 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Hi there 6 or more results still not up on eltham girls side of tournament? Does anyone know who won the 14B/C girls and what the scores were thanks.

Reply #575041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A great incompetent balls up.

Reply #575042 | Report this post

R@nD0m  
Years ago

We came over from WA for the tournament with two teams. We were on the Dandenong side but from someone who had never been to the Tourney before I can say that I as well as my players (I was coaching) loved it. We too had the friday night 930pm game (U14 Boys) and then had to back up at 8am on Saturday (Which for us westerner's was essentially a 5am game for our body clocks! lol) But given the amount of teams and craziness that must be fixturing this event, we didn't complain as I am sure there was enough of that already.

We have already said we would love to see a heap more of our teams make the journey east next year, as well as see more clubs from Perth make the trip across as it is nothing like we get over here for intensity and general high level game play. You could definitely do alot worse and I for one think unless you are going to volunteer to assist in organising / running a tournament of this magnitude, it's a bit rough to then sit behind a PC and be a keyboard warrior whinging about those that do put in the long hours to ensure your team / club has the opportunity to play at such a decent event. Just my thoughts!!

Reply #575048 | Report this post

Years ago

It is great to have the wæ teams over!

Reply #575050 | Report this post

Years ago

IMO - u12s at 9.30 is too late and I would have brought that up on draft draw release. The WA poster - what would the average trip over cost? I imagine $1500 for the weekend Including accom?

Reply #575053 | Report this post

Sb  
Years ago

Re: R@nD0m
Hardly a keyboard warrior, If you read my prior post you would see I think it's a great tournament and have done it for a long time but as a business man I would never sit on my hands and slap high 5's saying we are the best, that's ok. Always strive to be better and sometimes that will have negative feedback, take it onboard and utilise it to make it better. Hardly think 8-9 year olds getting home after 11pm to be up before 7am is whining, U14 would make them 2-4yrs older.....a big difference.
And yes this was relayed to the organisers later on with a compliment AGAIN as I do every year on a well run tournament. Looking forward till next years.

Reply #575058 | Report this post

R@nD0m  
Years ago

SB Fair enough mate my apologies - As with everything if you're not constantly looking to improve, then why are you doing it!

In regards to our budgeting etc from a WA team coming east perspective, we based it on around $2,100 per person for 12 people for the trip which basically covered Flights, Accom, All Meals, Transport, Tournament Fees, Emergency Cash, Entertainment (MCG Tour, Funfields Theme Park, Puffing Billy Railway, Tournament Shirts for all the boys). We raised around 30k from memory over the past twelve months so it was well worth it and had it not been for 2017 being our touring year should we qualify, then we probably would have headed over again next year as everyone who was involved in it thoroughly enjoyed it. I know Skyplay and a few domestic club teams are already looking at making the trip across again next year and I dare say Stirling would head across too given the large contingent they had across there this year also.

Purely from a lack of knowledge perspective, is the Elth Dandy tournament the best junior tournament from an East Coast perspective - We've looked at Starplex in SA in the past but based off of what we have been told through our networks, and given its great time of the year seeing as its still three months before our WABL season starts over here, it would still be our preference moving forward but would love some feedback from you guys over east as to other tournaments to look into :-)

Reply #575569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STARplex is solid (not great) tourney for domestic, country towns, low level division teams in northern suburbs of Adelaide. I wouldn't be coming over from Perth for that tournament though. Definately not worth the investment.

Reply #575584 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754