Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v United, Jan 22

What a Christening for the new cube at the Arena. Randle in Season MVP form owning the place like a Boss. It all starts again tonight.

Just at the Lion King is basically the story of Hamlet set against a backdrop of African animals, tonight's game is basically the story of good vs bad as this classic SA vs Vic tussle unfolds. The ladder leading United are 50% on the road and the Sixers are 75% at home, and both on a run of 5 wins. Someone will walk away tonight with their 6th straight win, the other with an L.

Last time these teams met was a few days before Christmas. That resulted in a win to the Sixers, who held Bubbles scoreless in the first half. Kickert and Warrick having a field day scoring 20 points each to put some respectability on the scoreboard.

It may be a similar story tonight with United's strength over the Sixers being in the forwards. Holt still recovering from some broken ankles as a result of Randle brilliance and Gibbo all over fellow Tassie boy Goulding.

Should be a good crowd tonight and this game is probably the Match of the Round. The secret to winning this game will be pressure. Ball pressure, pressure off the ball and pressure in the key. Melbourne like to dribble drive and go for the extra pass to get the 3, or wait for the help to leave their man for the pass off. Basic U14 plays, but that will be a challenge for the Sixers guards. Their talls are slippery and that will give DJ and co. plenty of headaches if they don't get on top of the rebounding contest early.

Sixers may be a little slow out of the blocks and so I'm expecting them to be about 6 points down at half time. However, Skipper Joey will throw out the spinnaker and with the crowd behind them, expect a very close end to this game.

Sixers by 2.

Topic #38859 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Will non MVP candidate Chris Goulding be able to compete with the brilliance of MVP candidate Jerome Randle and the Sixers?

Time will tell....

Reply #574421 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Really looking forward to this one. Huge game.

Reply #574422 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Go 36ers , do the cats a favour and give United a beating :P

Reply #574427 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'll be at the G, watching the Big sporting event of the evening

These two teams, on paper, have the potential to put on a barn storming high scoring, close finishing shoot out. But the first 3 games didn't really live up to that billing. Both sides are fit and in form so I'm quietly hopeful that's what we'll get.

Reply #574428 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

United by panels.

36ers aren't in the same league.

Reply #574430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant wait to watch Goulding continue his flop fest.

Reply #574434 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I just saw the new NBL Video feature Goulding. Is it just weird or has a lot of this seasons promo videos had a lot of members of United in them. Is that because they are all made in Melbourne or is it because its Kestleman's team?

Id love to see a Randle highlight reel or an AJ highlight reel.

Reply #574451 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!! lol

Nice to see the Strikers get their pants pulled down last night too :D

Reply #574457 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I'll be there tonight, looking forward to this one.

Reply #574463 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I dont know about conspiracy but it certainly feels a bit like marketing on the cheap. Its not like they cant grab players like when they get off the plane and say 'Can you record somethng for the video?'.

If you planned it ahead of time it could work.

Reply #574476 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I'll blow my nut if the Sixers let Kickert go to his right all night and give half arsed efforts to closing out on his 3 ball attempts

Reply #574506 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Ebi has been bigger than his 205cm overweight frame.

Been an enjoyable game so far.

I hope Blanchfield can make some shots tonight

Reply #574513 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So is the Cube showing the 5 on court stats ?? or just the game below and all the stats every now and then ?

I'm bagged for bagging the poor use of the cube and being negative, but on FB I am reading fans bagging each other and the players..

DJ isn't working hard enough
The fans shouldn't boo Goulding
The airconditioner isn't on
Someone will steal my free slap band gift
Gibbo isn't doing enough

DJ is almost every game working the bigs alone due to Peach inconsistency and missing the back door and Walker/Hodgson not enough to support him
Goulding should be booed if you have been around long enough to know why
The aircon doesn't work in the humidity again if you have been around long enough you would know
Freebies are a bonus so suck it up and get there early if you want one and steal somebody else's
Gibbo is a Point guard shoved aside for a superstar, thats great but it does effect every other player on the teams game and Gibbo is the one that created their game for them. Happens each season we bring in a shooter playing point.

All I want is to see the stats so I can follow the game and no I don't and should not have to look down at my little phone screen to see it

Reply #574519 | Report this post

Lt44  
Years ago

Score?

Reply #574521 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There it is, now the complaints about the MC mike volume, turn it up !

Reply #574522 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/livestats/?matchid=139092&page=strip

No spoiler on this thread so look this up. You will be happy if you check right now.

Reply #574523 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Quite the crumble by United. No answer for Randle.

Reply #574525 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ere saving his best for last, it seems. Amazing 2nd half by Randle... as awesome as Perth/Illawarra/Melbourne have been at times, if Randle is playing like Randle, Adelaide can beat anybody.

Reply #574526 | Report this post

jerry  
Years ago

Yes. It is looking like a Adelaide v Perth and Hawks v United series. Two crackers indeed!.

Reply #574527 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

ROFLcopter "United by panels" lol

Reply #574528 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Holt is a solid player, and he was great at St. Mary's. But I think United should have held out for a more explosive, better ball-handling import PG.

Reply #574529 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Holt is a worse defender than Randle, a turn style would offer more effort.

Reply #574534 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

How bad is Melbourne can't win even when the fix is on. Wakim bailed out at least three times by his "special" friend Chris Reid. Brad Giersch was his usual inconsistent self. Thank God for Toni Caldwell, made a couple of mistakes,but at least showed no bias called the game straight.

Jerome was off in the first half but was again ably assisted by Ebi. A better all round performance although the MVP elect still finished with 26 points.

A good win.

Reply #574536 | Report this post

Blitz101  
Years ago

Wonder what goulding said to joey when they shook hands Joey didn't seem to happy with what ever he said.

Reply #574543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Demopolous, from 9- 0 to chump change. I hope LK reviews the shit loads of money they have wasted on him. He was today's headlines and is now today's fish and chips wrapper.

Reply #574545 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon, tonight's last quarter aside, they have been pretty good recently, you might want to check the table.

That said, I don't rate Demopolous as a coach.

Melbourne's biggest problem is they don't compete on the boards. Can't win championships if you let the other side put up 20 more shots than you. Realistically this game wasn't even close if the Sixers hit a better percentage in the first half, despite Melbourne's hot 3 point percentage.

Reply #574548 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perfect timing, saw the last 6-7 minutes of this during the innings break at the G.

If Randle keeps his form up over the last few games then there could literally be one MVP candidate by the end of the season.

Reply #574550 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In the 40 minute era has any team scored 90 points while hitting 2 or less threes?

Reply #574551 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Toni did call a good game. Even had the guts to tell Joey 'my bad, we got that wrong'.
Brad would be the most inconsistent ref in the NBL. He has an attitude problem. Would love to see him and Mills told goodbye at seasons end. On that point, no final for either of them either.

Reply #574561 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Call me biased but why can't United run more plays for Blanchfield, he's gone from Olympic bolter to forgetting he's even on the court.

I think Holt would have been a better fit in Townsville as he seems so reserved and like he likes being out if the limelight and Norton can be the primary ball handler and Dennis would run so many more plays for him.... Remember this is a player that scored 23 in the first half of a game vs the kings and finished with 23.

Other than Kickert that will be unlucky when knight gets the all NBL first team honours and the development of Majok, the team isn't anything to write home about... Nobody else is a better player now than they were before the season started.... It's not be being doom and gloom it's me saying Demopolous is useless

Reply #574568 | Report this post

Brad Giersch is a clown. Joey was asking a pretty specific question, that only had one answer, and Giersch responded with some bullshit instead of having the balls to admit a mistake had been made.

Reply #574577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for posting Toni... good to see you here

Reply #574579 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ebe with back to back gun games! I guess he has given up the Krispy Creme's for the playoff run haha Great too see, he out of knowhere has shown glimpses of what was expected from the get go. So now if Randle or DJ last game are a little off the 36ers still have offensive options, hope he can keep it up!

Reply #574598 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

According to the Herald Sun, the crowd was 2,548.

Is that true? Is that indicative of the 36ers crowds this year???

Reply #574602 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crowd was 6950. Obviously a typo in the Hun. I take it you didn't see the game?

Reply #574603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV,

I think the commentators said it was 6,980 because they said it was 20 shy of 7,000, last game here against Melb was a sell-out (7,500-8,000).

Reply #574604 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Clearly the Herald Sun were talking about the number of people in attendance who were illuminated, and not the total attendance. Duhh.

Reply #574606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone needs to remember Adelaides population is under 1.4 Mil and Melbourne over 4.5 Mil so comparing attendance numbers needs to be relevant, and that goes for all other teams numbers too... Perspective people.

Reply #574613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia Day Weekend see many people away before school returns for beach holidays and Sporting Carnivals such as basketball and swimming to mention a few. Also the Adelaide United were playing at Himdmarsh so again perspective in telation to numbers please.

Reply #574621 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

According to the Herald Sun, the crowd was 2,548.

Is that true? Is that indicative of the 36ers crowds this year???

LOL! 36ers aren't the Melbourne Tigers at the Netball Centre. Rest assured, that type of low figure has never been even close to indicative of the 36ers crowd numbers.

Reply #574625 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

There was apparently 6950 according to boti

Reply #574649 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah Paul I saw most of the last quarter (on my phone during the innings break at the G!), but I wasn't paying attention to the crowd

Glad to hear the Actual number was much healthier

Reply #574668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The official crowd was 6950.

Reply #574673 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fair enough, if you were at the G prob hard to hear the b'ball crowd through the broadcast! It certainly sounded loud though.

Reply #574675 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754