Dazz
Years ago

Why is Randle So Unstoppable?

I've only seen two of the games against the Cats. I don't recall much about his first, and the last one back at the start of December was a comprehensive defeat. Randle was your best player, but not worryingly so, and had little support.

But clearly when a guy goes out and scores 41 points, one has to ask the obvious question of what the opposing coach and defence were doing at the time?

As I said, I haven't seen the majority of his games, but I keep reading how he is lifting and carrying the team. So I'm genuinely curious as to how such a little bloke is proving so unstoppable?
Obviously our final game is shaping to be an epic dual between the league's best Offensive and Defensive players, but there's plenty of basketball to be played before then. Is there nobody capable of guarding him? Don't opposition coaches target him for double-teams?

Topic #38866 | Report this topic

keep the yank  
Years ago

great shake and bake, great hesitation move, great ball control and super quick.

Reply #574562 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

As above, and he always very aggressive and seems to pick the good times to shoot.

6ers would be rubbish without him. I can't remember a recent team so dependent on one player.

Reply #574564 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

He has an outside shot that is effective, which lets him use his speed to pass closing defenders. He passes well to find the open man, which helps him beat switching and double teams. He's smart, really smart. Watching him read the court and direct traffic is impressive. His ball handling is outstanding.

What were Sydney doing to stop him? Apart from Indiana Faithfull trying to steal the family jewels, there wasn't much they could do. They were trying to make sure Johnson wasn't a factor and left Randle to be guarded one on one but they lacked the personnel to do that successfully. As a result, he killed them.

Reply #574567 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

His best form of defense is attack . He has Speed to get around the double teaming , vision to pass to the open . Short means his view is blocked but can see the basket blindfolded .Reads the play well and will taunt the defense waiting to see their ankles turn ,he is has a degree in body behaviour .
Last night he was hardly on any points 1st-2nd Qtr. Three days after his 41 .But he still came back .After the 3rd they closed on him harder .He ended with 26.Shows the spirit inside

Reply #574569 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

He's very good at all facets of offense. You can't sag off him, because he will shoot over you, from any range. You can't play him tight because he will blow right by you. His handles are ridiculous. He has an amazing hesitation move. He finishes well in traffic. He doesn't always commit to the drive when he beats the first defender, he can create space and pull up over the second. He pretty much never misses free throws, so you can't just foul him. He can find the open man in traffic (drive and dish isn't necessarily a strength, but it's adequate). He's obviously very agile.
He basically has an answer for whatever the defense does to try stop him, which makes him incredibly hard to stop.

Reply #574570 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

He has Allen Iverson level quickness but is rarely out of control. Also good core strength to finish and is unfazed finishing around seven footers.

Watch the vid posted two days ago to see what he is capable of.

Reply #574574 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Melbourne will probably try to steal him in the off-season lol

If the 36ers retain Randle, DJ then that's going to make them competitive against any team. Losing Gibson to Brizzy would cost us defensively, but if that's what is necessary to afford Randle then it's a silverlining if Gibbo bails on Rads.

Ebi Ere looked so different tonight to a month plus ago. He looked thinner, fitter and faster. He was active. Shots went in, those that didn't looked close, he chased offensive rebounds, he struggled less on Defence and was super active without losing the ball for us. He's gone from time wasting liability to a potential X factor.

--

Another little thing - remember the days of talented 36ers teams finishing bottom or near bottom with Marty Clarke? How things change.

Reply #574575 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I actually equate the 36ers in a way to the Sydney Kings. Both teams rely on a single player for a lot of their momentum. Sydney is a good example of what happens when that player is injured for long periods of time.

The problem however with such teams is that the player might get too MANY minutes which sounds weird yeah, but can lead to injuries and so on. Randle is a great smaller athletic player who brings a lot to his team but Id like to see what the stats are like for the 6ers when he is off the court vs when he is on.

Reply #574581 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

You can't stop Ant Man...

Reply #574585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why cant he even get a look in the NBA? Or even Europe which is still a much higher level than the NBL? This is what i want to know.

Reply #574590 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's played a lot in Europe, albeit at levels similar to the NBL.

He's unstoppable now that he's hitting the three consistently because he can score in so many ways, no matter what the defence takes away he has other scoring options, and once he's on the move he's an excellent passer too.

Melbourne have had good success against him with their high-pressure approach, but as games have worn on and their intensity has dropped he's carved them apart.

Reply #574591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he continues this...how one earth will the 36ers be able to retain him? Surely a top Euro club will lure him away with $$$ that the NBL cannot remotely compete with.

There has to be something we are missing that we havent seen in his game.

The market is generally pretty efficient.

Reply #574593 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There isn't as much huge money in Europe as there used to be, especially for 5'8 guys who don't defend! It's a different style of game over there, Randle is very good there but better suited here, especially in Wright's system which is perfect for him.

He has proven he can play in good leagues in Europe and would have made plenty, so if he comes back it will because of lifestyle and enjoyment of the game more than money.

Reply #574594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Euro league salaries destroy NBL salaries

Reply #574595 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Unlike say Cedric Jackson, you have to honour the fact he can shoot from range, so you cant slack off to cover his penetration. If he couldnt shoot, like a Corey Williams Julius Hodge type he would struggle and his height would become an issue. BUT he is so good from range and with that handle and speed, he creates options by keeping the defence honest.

Reply #574597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect him at United next year guys...going after him hard!!!

Reply #574599 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The richer Euroleague clubs pay very good money, but as I said the style of play means a 5'8 guy who doesn't defend probably isn't going to be a recruiting priority.

He could, and has, landed a deal in the tier below that, but playing for one of the most up-tempo coaches in one of the most up-tempo leagues is perfect for Randle.

He also reportedly loves the lifestyle, so if Adelaide can find funding for a marquee player they'd have to be a strong chance. I don't think they'll be the only NBL clubs throwing money at him though!

Reply #574600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He loves it because he is using this league, team and coach as a platform to bolster his career.

Reply #574601 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

As talented and exiting he is I doubt he has the ability to lead a team to the title.

He fits Joeys system which is about and has always been about players going one on one in isos off screens or in transition. He has had many great games but the last two big ones have been against Sydney with their zero defence and against United who play with a similar (give the ball to the superstars and get out of the way style). Randle is Gary Ervin with a shot, Iverson of the NBL. Great to watch but you live or die by them EVERY game and will lose games you should win when they have a bad scoring night.

Perfect example was when DJ was defended by the plastic cone (Kickert). They give the ball to DJ in the block and he gets an easy two. Do Randle Joey or even DJ recognise this..no way.. Randle jacks up some junk on the next few possessions and they do not even once go back to that situation.

Admittedly he got the business done but a high IQ unselfish player with a decent coach would have milked that matchup for all its worth.

He is great for the NBL but needs to pull his head in and get others into the game when the matchups are better for others.

Bevo will work him out no doubt about it and Martin will limit him but he will blaze away regardless. Joey or the sixers have no plan B.

Reply #574610 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes, its hard to see one player dragging the 6's to a title, but he seems to be dragging them into the finals. As mentioned, I'll be looking forward to the last game to see how he handles Martin & Prather. But you can't deny the quality of the guy, and in such a small package.

Reply #574618 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Fstos, spot on, there needs to be more balance, but don't forget there is enough talent in the rest of the team to give it a shake if the find that balance.

Reply #574623 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If Melbourne steal Randle we'll all be livid.

Reply #574626 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

DJ doesnt exactly demand the ball, he was a ghost against the Kings. Before Randle there was no Plan A either, so unfortunately for the 36ers, at this stage its either plan A or nothing at all. No other player has wanted to step up enough times to take the offensively pressure off Randle. Worst case he puts bums in seats, and is very exciting in the way he gets his points. Adelaide will struggle with the Hawks offense come finals time, and probably would prefer to meet the slow grinding Cats in the semis, unlike the 36ers they cant shoot from range. Catch them on a couple of off nights and Randle gets hot, good luck.

Reply #574653 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Besides his shooting, he is very inventive with his finishing around the basket. Has obviously been playing against taller players his entire life, so has developed so many methods to keep defenders guessing.

Reply #574737 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Like the way he dribbles/bounces it over the the top of the guards head.

Reply #574765 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Simply because he is amazing at creating enough separation between himself and defender to get his shot away at any time he likes. This is due to a number of factors not the least being a great ball handler, having excellent quickness and speed, a good shooter and other things.

Reply #574976 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

One stat I find exceptional, for a diminutive PG, is that he is hitting almost 54% from two point range. So it's not like he's one of those guys building points by taking more shots that anyone else.

Reply #574978 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was like that early in the season, but his efficiency has just got better and better as he's got used to the league and his teammates.

His play the last few weeks has been incredible, if he can continue it during the playoffs Adelaide are a title chance. Can't wait to see what teams throw at him in the playoffs and how he responds.

Reply #575002 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

A few months ago CG43 was "too good for this league". Then Cory Webster dominated for a while, then Hawks got on a role with Lisch and Penny - who was gonna stop them? LAst season it was Cedric Jackson - how far has his star fallen?

Randle is a fantastic player but he will have some ups and some downs. Other teams are no doubt spending a lot of time trying to work out how to restrict his influence.
I hope the fans don't jump off the Randle train as quickly as they do most others.
He says he loves playing in the NBL and loves playig with Adelaide and for Joey so lets stick with him and see where he takes us.

Reply #575027 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Interesting Facebook post by Randle today talking up Joey. Comments from Ubaka, Jamar Wilson, Ira Clark backing him up.
Sorry for the caps, I just cut and paste it..

SINCE MY PROFESSIONAL CAREER IVE LOST THE LOVE I ONCE HAD FOR THE GAME OF BASKETBALL, IT BECAME A JOB, I NEVER PLAYED THE GAME THAT WAY AND I WASNT PLAYING TO MY POTENTIAL. I PRAYED FOR A COACH TO ALLOW ME TO PLAY MY GAME AND UNDERSTAND BASKETBALL ISNT A PERFECT GAME, THAT YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES, YOU WILL MISS SHOTS AND YOU WONT WIN EVERY MATCH. A COACH WHO WONT BE AFRAID TO TELL YOU OFF WHEN THEY SEE YOU ARE NOT PLAYING TO YOUR FULLEST POTENTIAL, I HAVE THAT IN MY COACH Joey Wright AND MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED. LETS BALL

Reply #575033 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754