Dazz
Years ago

Kenny should Shoot more

He's been a great bargain pickup for the Cats. Hard to believe that after all those times playing for the TB's, that he never got an (A)NBL gig. He slotted in really well when Martin was injured, and continued to play good minutes off the bench.

And was that shot to end the 3rd quarter? Unbelievable considering it wasn't scripted in a time-out. He's making a bit of a habit of draining shots just as the shot or game clock is about to expire.

In the last few games I have noticed him being used more in a combo role, spelling both Martin and Beal, so that at times we have both Martin and Kenny in the back court. With that in mind, I think he needs to work on his confidence and take a few more shots.

Topic #38873 | Report this topic

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

I don't think that he should shoot more. He gets open shots and makes the most of them. Yes, he sometimes doesn't back himself to shoot, but I don't think that's always a bad thing. If only guys like Cadee and Webster did that occasionally!

I think Kenny's strength is being able to hit the open three, but the last thing I want to see if him jacking up too many shots. Its not his role.

Agree he has been a great find though

Reply #574703 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He should not shoot more.
He's effective because he takes good shots. If he gets a perimeter look early in the offence he'd rather pass it up and keep probing for a better-percentage option. It's working for him, and he should stick with it IMO.

Reply #574716 | Report this post

Dazz should Post less

Reply #574718 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Great pick up by Gleeson.

Reply #574721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great pick up by Chalmers

Reply #574722 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kenny was a fantastic pick up.

If there was an award for "Player who is playing their expected role the best", Kenny is a dead-set winner.

Don't necessarily agree with the claims that "Kenny should shoot more" - The reason why he is shooting such good percentages is because he is only taking very good shots when he is wide open and he isn't forcing it.

He knows if he can only stick to good looks, he can go 2/4 from 3 quite comfortably.

If he was to take more shots, some of those wouldn't be open and he would probably go 2/6 from 3 or worse.

He is extremely smart and IMO every young kid and even seasoned professionals could learn a thing or two about 'playing the %'s' and playing efficiently and within your limits. Not looking at anyone in particular - cough Ced Jackson cough.

Reply #574726 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

"If there was an award for "Player who is playing their expected role the best", Kenny is a dead-set winner."

^^ This is pure crap. He wouldn't be in the top 50

Reply #574732 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

How so?

He is doing everything asked/expected of him every game.

Randle is probably the other one.

Can't say that about many others IMO.

Reply #574735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He definitely wins the award for most aesthetically and stat-nerd/Morey friendly shot chart this season. Looks like a mini James Harden:

http://public.tableau.com/shared/X673RXN9M?:toolbar=no&:display_count=yes

Reply #574738 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Kenny likes to pass it around. He definetly had more opportunities to shoot the other night but was content to go around the perimeter.

Reply #574777 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He IS playing his assigned role very well, and nobody wants to see him suddenly transform into one of those guys who just keeps jacking up bricks in the hopes that one will eventually drop.
BUT, he needs to work on his confidence. He seems to only shoot when there is absolutely no other choice, and yet so often under those circumstances he drains it. Is it because he's more relaxed in those scenarios?
My point is that the guy CAN shoot, and with a bit of confidence he could do so more often.

I haven't seen him play for the TB's nor in the NZNBL. So I don't know if his reluctance to shoot has simply been enforced by Gleeson, or has been engrained over years.

Reply #574781 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

He's 100% from three quarter court. Should shoot more from there.

Reply #574786 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol, he must read this forum.

Dudes been jacking up shit shot after shit shot this game.
My god, delivering what his role is?? LOL

Reply #574809 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

ROFLcopter, you sound like a man with a bad case of tall poppy syndrome.

"Dudes been jacking up shot after shot this game" - What? Because 6 Field Goal attempts is really 'jacking up' shots isn't it.

Kenny is averaging, shooting 53.6 from FG, 46.3 from 3 and 77.8 from the FT line.

Kenny is playing an average of 23.8 mpg and averaging 6.3ppg.

Incidentally, that's 23.8mpg and 6.3ppg more than yourself.

Reply #574828 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

He didn't play well last night.
Was just interesting to note he put up more shots than usual on the day a thread was started about him. Coincidence I'm sure, but entertaining nonetheless.

My basketball figures are completely off topic so best we don't derail this thread.

Reply #574829 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

ROFLcopter, do you think the fact that he put a few more shots than usual could have been in any way due to Prather, the Cats leading scorer, being out? No, you're right, its probably because he read this forum.

Reply #574844 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I don't know about having him shooting more but if I could have him do anything more it would be working on his dribble penetration, whether that be getting to the hole itself or drawing a defender before getting it to Jervis/Jawai/Knight.

From what I've observed of him, the opposition don't expect him to do it and he can be quite affective.

Reply #574864 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Vodka 63, you totally missed the point of my post.
II'm not surprised.

Reply #574881 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:53 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754