Jack Toft
Years ago

Crocs vs Kings, Jan 27

Wooden spooner Sydney heads to Townsville tonight. Is anyone interested in this game, or is it a dead rubber?

Sydney with not much but pride to play for and Townsville have basically knocked off most of the Top 4 at home. Townsville look much better at home than on the road and with a recent smashing of the imploded Breakers, would have to be favourites to take out the game tonight.

Townsville by 8?

Topic #38880 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Have Crocs won two games in a row yet this season? I'd be picking Sydney.

Reply #574900 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Im going with Townsville. They keep crushing my Wildcats and Id like to see them crush the Kings.

If only so we get another 'Time for Sydney to go into Voluntary Administration' topic post.

Reply #574902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can the Kings not win the wooden spoon if they get this win and have a strong last month of the season?

Reply #574908 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

The Kings can avoid the spoon, especially if they can beat the Crocs in both remaining games.

They are certainly sentimental favourites for it.

Reply #574914 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Djeric out injured.

Reply #574915 | Report this post

Ugly Igley  
Years ago

Kings by 7.

Reply #574918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Djeric being out injured is a plus for the crocks, though he was no longer on the injured list so could play. Can't see anything except crocks win but would love to proved wrong.

Reply #574926 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Crocs win.

Jett to do very little.
Hopefully Steindl can light up. Watching that dude is worth admission price alone!

Reply #574928 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Bucket fest early doors.
Zero D being offered up.

Reply #574932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thornton would be the worst import I've seen, there better Australian players than him. Why the Kings persisted with him who the F knows.
Vandenberg is 216cm and can't crash the boards, he's not good enough for even seabl, it makes it very hard on rest of team carrying these two.
Childress, Garlepp and Cadee playing well, Cadee has come on under the coaching of Connolly.

Reply #574939 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Hilarious D!

Reply #574941 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Cadee is a spud.

Dude turns it over constantly. He's supposed to have the best handle.
Useless.

Reply #574943 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

How does that alley oop result in a foul against Childress?

Sorry just hate calls like that. Childress jumps for an equal contest and Crocs player just happens to come off second best and its a foul.

Whatever happened to being able to contest a ball on mid air?

Reply #574944 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Missed the first half, but Cadee's handles are OK, it's his passing and decision making that are usually shockingly un-PGish.

Shane Heal is like the reverse-Carfino, loves sticking it to the Kings (for obvious reasons)... although usually he's spot on.

Reply #574945 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Chill and co seem to be keeping the ball out of Cadee's hands.
If they want to win....smart decision.

Reply #574946 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't know why the Crocs aren't just getting Jett to drive straight down the key every possession. Kings haven't shown they can keep a guard outside the key.

Reply #574947 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings help defense is atrocious... how many open looks do we want to give Steindl! Lucky they aren't dropping.

Jeezus christ. Do the Kings know they're winning?! What the hell was that... frantic shot after frantic shot, then a bad drive from Thornton.

Reply #574948 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Jordair!!

Reply #574949 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

SAMHAN!!!!

Reply #574950 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again.

Reply #574951 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Kings are a woeful outfit.

No composure down the stretch. They had that game.

Reply #574952 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cadee needs to take out a patent on those poorly timed 3s. All season he seems to pick the exact right moment to chuck up a brick that begins another Kings lapse.

Reply #574953 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Townsville by 8!

Reply #574954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings this season would have to be the worst iteration I have ever seen.

Reply #574956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's easy to get into Cadee, and he does turn overs but Thornton turns it over and his D is the worst, after chill being an import he probably on reasonable money so if the team see his effort they all do less. He should've got the punt ages ago.

Reply #574958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

F*ck you Tom Garlep

Reply #574960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Kings team would have to be the WORST team i have ever seen in sport in Australia...

Reply #574961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal saying Kings should stick with Connolly to give stability. He hasn't got the wins but reckon his hands are tied by some of the selections, Thornton, Vandenburg are no good, Prewster okish and Hill does not get much time. Get in a point guard and a rebounding defensive player and bring chill back and they could be competitive.

Reply #574962 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I got no issue with Cadee in general, we just don't have an actual PG who can calm guys down in the crunch, milk some clock, and run a set. Guys like Carter/Cadee and Thornton (in theory, at least) are 'instant offense' guys who you inject for scoring in spurts and sit if they miss a couple in a row, but we have all three of them sharing the 1-2 spots.

Markovic was supposed to have been that guy.

Reply #574963 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I like Prewster quite a bit, probably not a good fit on a struggling team. He'd slot in very nice in Illawarra ahead of White IMO.

Reply #574964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that joke regarding Connelly?

Defense is largely attitude and that comes from the coaching staff.

This Kings team is arguably the worst defensive team i have seen in basketball.

They were giving up 102 points per game over the last 4 games and they give up 96 points tonight?

They didnt miss a shot for the first 6 minutes of the first qtr and they were up by 1 at the end of it?

Apart from Childress and Garlepp, the hole team needs to go. The coaching staff needs to get away as far as possible.

Reply #574965 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

So no love for Townsville then? People need to start realising the Crocs are not the pushovers everything thought they'd be.

Reply #574967 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I would think by this point of the year no one would think the Crocs are pushovers. Yeah Jett had a good steal and Samhan a nice three (plus the saved board), but it was the lack of composure from Sydney that ultimately cost them the game.

Reply #574968 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

"Kings this season would have to be the worst iteration I have ever seen."

"This Kings team would have to be the WORST team i have ever seen in sport in Australia..."

Worse than the Moose Robiliard years?

Reply #574974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see a good all-round team effort from the crocs, especially Maynard in the 1-spot stepping up with Norton in foul trouble and pinched nerve in his elbow.

Awful zone from the Kings, all night. Allowed the crocs, who are always pretty dependable down the stretch, especially at home, to get the win.

Samhan is a great pick up - 15pts 15rbds and efficient.

When Jett comes to play we usually are competitive or win!

The Kings need a PG next season. Cadee is a small 2 IMO.

Reply #574981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always thought the kings should have signed gary ervin instead of thornton.

He is so much better and gives u a point guard.

Thornton one of the most over hyped ever, people claiming he would be a mvp candidate and him and childress would be best import combo for years.

People get a bit excited over the letters nba imo.

Reply #574983 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Worse than the Moose Robiliard years?

That's tough, I'd love to mash the teams together... What I wouldn't give to have Toly on the team these days!

Defense is largely attitude and that comes from the coaching staff.

In part, but you just have to have the players who want it more... The players that go out and go "I want it more than the other guy", THIS is the attitude that is required from the players and like going after rebounds, is something that you can't teach and no matter how much you preach and train, just has to be in the player themselves...

I'm with AngusH, Cadee is a quality player, when he plays the style of game he's good at, he's not a PG, we don't have any proper PG on the roster... That's been a major flaw this season and a big gap where Markovic was supposed to fill... I'm not sure if the Kings management (who are obviously the ones deciding to stick with Thornton if everyone else wants him out, in some stupid attempt to save face with Boston, perhaps?) bought into the "we want Marcus to be a PG" rubbish from the Celtics or not and thought that they could all share time at that spot, but it's very clear that Cadee isn't a PG and trying to make him one ruins his game and puts us in a bigger hole...

Reply #574984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings should have kept Cotter. Pitbull walking around waving his white towel like a flog now has a worse record than Cotter over 12 games.

Reply #574985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No love for the Crocs? It was bottom Vs 2nd bottom. Does that even count?

Reply #574991 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

The Kings have developed a losing culture that, unfortunately, probably means a lot of change is required to move in the right direction.

The current roster at the start of this season was definitely a competitive team on paper. A fit Childress, Kazouh (sp?), Garlepp, Thornton, and Cadee is a good starting five. With Brandt, Markovic, Hill, Prewster, Carter being a solid bench.

Having Childress injured and the constantly changing roster (Harrington etc) it has meant players are playing out of position and that losing start has further damaged the culture which they haven't been able to change.

With Childress, Kazouh, Thornton as the main scoring options then Cadee can be more of a distributor and running offense. But without them he has taken on a scoring role which, with his decision making, is not his strength when playing the PG. (A scoring PG is always difficult to implement into team structure).

Thornton would have been much better with less pressure playing off Childress and Kazouh all season.

It will definitely be interesting to see what direction the Kings head in. On one hand they need some stability in the coaching/playing group, but on the other hand they need some changes to address the losing culture and get a better balanced team.

Reply #574994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can see what is happening with the Kings...they are all simply out there playing selfishly. Why? Because how many on them are on contract for next year? They know they are the laughing stock of the league and the team will get dismantled over the winter.

Imagine you are a player and you know your team will get dismantled soon, you need employment, what will you do? You will go out there selfishly and attempt to fill your stat sheet. You dont care about winning.

They allowed the crocs to get 16 offensive rebounds, that shows they dont care in helping out to clean the board. All what they were excited about was trying to get the ball in there hands and pad there stats, to them make an attractive proposition for another team next year.

They dont care about winning...giving up 102 ppg is proof of that.

Reply #575005 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

To be fair, they've been pathetic on the boards all year, not just since their season became a write-off.

It's good to see they'll win something though.

Now there is an interesting stat for the history buffs: which NBL team has the most wooden spoons in their trophy cabinet?

Reply #575015 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

D4444: Does the team still exist currently?

Reply #575020 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I don't think it's a current team but I'm not as into the history & philosophy of the NBL as some others who frequent these forums.

Reply #575024 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hobart have four, although one was when their were conferences and they were the worst team in their conference but not the worst team in the league.

If you don't want to count the conference spoon, Geelong, Hobart and Adelaide are all tied with three.

Bankstown, Cairns, Canberra, Illawarra/Wollongong, Newcastle, Sydney (one as Supersonics), Townsville and West Sydney all have two.

Brisbane, Devonport, Forrestville, Glenelg, both Gold Coast teams, Hunter, Melbourne, NZ, South, St Kilda and Westside have also finished on the bottom of the ladder. Perth finished the bottom of their conference, but not the league.

Reply #575101 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754