Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Hawks Jan 30

Steel City Illawarra travel to the Festival City Adelaide in the second leg of the R17 tussle. Two days ago these teams fought a very tough game and it was only at the last hurdle the Hawks stunned the Sixers and stole the game.

Tonight, they lock horns again.

I don't think there's much between these teams. Randle and Lisch both quality players are the ones who are stealing the show, but it's amazing what a month off the Krispy Kremes has done for Ebi Ere, who looks and plays like a different player from a few months ago and is showing why Joey Wright loves him so much and why Joey has a signed poster of Ebi in his pool room.

AJ Ogilvy and DJ have been slugging it out for years since the represented their states in underage rep teams. That is the other key clash tonight. Control the boards, control the game. Let's hope Team Manager Jarrod slips a spoonful of cement into DJ's gatorade for tonight's game.

Should be a good crowd tonight. Despite what the ill informed Melbourne papers reported the crowds have been fantastic this season - and loud. Perhaps if they weren't too busy drinking double decaf expresso lattes with organically grown soy almond milk with a twist of lemon at their Brunswick cafes, those reporters might actually get it right.

Sixers by 4. Let's Go Sixers, Let's GO!

Topic #38892 | Report this topic

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Hawks got this.

If Randle doesn't shoot the lights out, Sixers haven't an avenue to score.

Reply #575298 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

36ers bounce back and get this one, like alot of teams they are a different beast at home. And no Penney out still hurts the Hawks with there care free let it fly attitude.

Reply #575305 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Sixers to win at home with 7000 behind the team

Reply #575307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks still won on Wednesday night even though they shot 1-16 from 3 in the first half

Reply #575310 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I love that all games are still competitive, love the tight run to the finals and love that no one is safe at home court too!

Fourth place
Fourth place
Fourth place

Reply #575311 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

'Let's get tropical'

Reply #575312 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would be a hell of a statement from Illawarra to win this in Adelaide without Penney. It looks like the Powerhouse is rocking again like old times when I lived over there though, and when that's the case the 36ers start favourites every time!

Reply #575315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Settle everyone. Arena was packed last season as well.

Reply #575322 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Fourth place, thats gold! Hope for 6ers win, but more i sit on it, its all set up for a massive Hawks statement game.

Reply #575324 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, pressure on Adelaide here, and that's where you find out what teams are made of. A loss and all of sudden NZ and even Cairns are back in the picture with two huge games coming up next week.

Reply #575344 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

When's the captain back?

Reply #575348 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

How did Bear not get more love for that fourth place comment haha, that was gold. ¨I tried to pretend that it didn´t matter if we won fourth or not, truth is I´ve never wanted anything more in my whole... life.¨ On a serious note, despite being a Hawks fan I think the 36ers get this one. 36ers always tough at home, especially with a playoff spot on the line and Martin, Lisch and Ogilvy will have to come up big time to snatch the W.

Reply #575351 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Reply #575352 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Oops, didn't expect it to be so big lol

Reply #575354 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think that's two sell-outs and two near sell-outs in the past four games, is that right? Bball in Adelaide is on fire once again, great to see.

Reply #575355 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Hopefully not many tickets were given away or discounted because the 36ers need all the $$$ they can get to pay Randle next year

Reply #575356 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A sell out! Can't get a bigger crowd than that

Reply #575357 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Randle doing damage with the pass tonight.

Reply #575360 | Report this post

jerry  
Years ago

Is this the same Ere we saw earlier in the season?

Reply #575361 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's about 80% of that Ebi. ;)

Reply #575362 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

#foulball

Reply #575363 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

That quarter took forever.

Reply #575367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FOUL, FREE THROWS, FOUL, FREE THROWS, FOUL, FREE THROWS, FOUL, FREE THROWS, FOUL, FREE THROWS, FOUL, FREE THROWS,

The NBL's solution to make the NBL known as a high scoring league is to change the rules of the game so defenses dont stand a chance.

Reply #575368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, even Joey Wright echoed my thoughts....Stay away from Lisch, dont touch him.

Reply #575369 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Sheesh, hard foul by AJ there on Randle.

Reply #575370 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh man, Randle looks in a world of pain. AJ's foul didn't look so bad on the replay. Maybe a broken ankle judging by Randle's facial expression. :(

Reply #575371 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Sadly that's an ACL for sure :(

Reply #575372 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Our season just ended. Don't mind me, going to go cry in a corner now. F*ck this.

Reply #575373 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, ACL is unfortunately likely. Definitely not a hyper-extension from what you see on the replay, which would have been 'best case'.

Paul George injury aside, there are probably few more painful basketball injuries than knee injuries...

Reply #575374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers season just got interesting. They are right back in it

Reply #575375 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Well, it's a good thing Ere has started firing...

Reply #575376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man I thought the Rockets v OKC game today was poorly officiated to help the Thunder but this is right up there

Reply #575377 | Report this post

No way you can call AJ's a hard foul, Randle caused the contact by changing his path. Just bad luck for him, no good seeing quality players out.

Reply #575379 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah as I said, it wasn't a hard foul on the replay. At game speed it looked to me like AJ swung his arm at Randle and caused him to crumple like he did, rather than the knee injury.

Reply #575380 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

With all the whistles and blood cleanups, I don't know if this broadcast is ever going to end.

Reply #575381 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

ooooooooooooooooooo aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ebiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Ereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Reply #575382 | Report this post

jerry  
Years ago

That's the kings and the bullets ere version

Reply #575383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched the replay again AJ was riding Randle on the drive straight and pushed his right hip and knee in to Randle clearly forcing Randle to change direction, his knee buckled and lost stability, he changed foot and then could not land on the damaged knee and went over in extreme pain. My prediction ACL tear. There is no need for a player to push on a break. NBA would call intentional due to injury potential and unnecessary contact. Players avoid this in NBA due to the penalties. on review there would be a fine and warning. The issue really is the start of the game where's ego has obviously instructed the team to be physically rough with Randle and the refs did not control it. Joey complained and it was not addressed. the refs allowed it to continue and this is the result. Same is happening across the league and it was only a matter of time before injuries would happen. Enough is enough. It is not worth losing great players from our league, it could be Lisch next when they play Perth as he will be targeted in a similar matter.

Reply #575384 | Report this post

jerry  
Years ago

Ebi lol. Joey stuck thick with this guy and we starting to see why!.

Reply #575385 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Crazy how different the Hawks play on the road vs @ home.

Ebi Ere. Jeeezus.

Reply #575386 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Randle on his feet on the bench cheering, great to see.

Reply #575387 | Report this post

jerry  
Years ago

Next weeks game v the breakers is going to be massive for both teams.

Reply #575388 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

what happen Bevo we should have won this.

Reply #575389 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I hate that foul by Ogilvy. Not malicious but unnecessary and deliberately hard imo. There was no way he stops that break and he had a lot of other options rather than take a huge swipe while bodying Randle. The Hawks were obviously intent on being physical with Randle in this 2-game set and now you'd have to say he's done. Fingers crossed he's not, it'd be tragic if he is.

Reply #575392 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

It's always good to see Bevo dirty ball lose the game. I have no respect for coaches that instruct their players to play cheap shots all game. He did it Perth, then we had a cleaned up season because no Bevo in the league. He is back and so is his bullshit brand of mug ball..

Hopefully we come 4th. We will match up with Melbourne better for the win. Perth and Hawks will beat crap out of each other and will definitely be a few players down after they go at it for 3games.

Good to see the team battle on with Randle on the sidelines. He doesn't need court time to add influence on our teams game. When the little guy has been doing most of the work, it's easy for the bigger guys to step up when needed.

Reply #575395 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

According to Randle's agent, it's probably not an ACL. Need to wait for scans tomorrow to find out more.

Reply #575397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth owns the Hawks interms of matchups so they wont beat eachother up.

Reply #575400 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Massive game tonight by both teams. Fans got their money's worth.

HUGE questions asked of the Sixers when "The Handle" went down, and they answered those questions well.

Sixers now 2-1 in the series and Hawks need to win by 20 to get the split.

Certainly the Cats and United would be watching the game tonight and their strategy coaches would be dissecting this game as we write.

The season looks like the final 4 won't be decided until the very, very last game.

Reply #575402 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

That injury is just so deflating. Just when Ebi is hitting his straps and now this. If its ACL you can't sign him for next year either. So sad

Reply #575404 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

That was good to watch the umpires get out there tonight and have a run around. Didn't even notice there was a basketball game being played!

Reply #575405 | Report this post

Flea  
Years ago

36ers +/- for tonight for those interested..

Walker +19
Johnson +16
Ere +15
Gibson +9
Teys +8
Creek +6
Randle +3
Petrie -1
Sobey -5
Hodgson DNP

Reply #575406 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

On the money Doug.

Hodgson needs some minutes in the next 2 weeks. Imagine playing finals with OT. We will be having 80 free throw games, so the young fella is going to be on the floor anyway

Reply #575412 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

Great game tonight, ex strategy from Joey keeping Randle cool in the first half with only 4 points but 9 assists.
I thought he would absolutely break out in the second half and he probably would have but some crude Bevo defense took him out and nearly cost us that strategy and maybe the game, even the season.

Credit to the sixers depth with Eri asensational 28pts, and big contribution from all. Creek with 15 pts, 9 rebounds and 5 steals was great

There was about four minutes in that last quarter that was the best basketball I have seen in a long while. I'm still buzzing.

Can't wait to see the replay tomorrow afternoon.

Fingers crossed Randle is not too serious.

Go Sixers

Reply #575413 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Hawks losing the split and finishing 4th is the desired outcome at this stage IMO. Hawks have been demolished by Perth and Melbourne is the much better match-up.

Reply #575420 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Randle injured may have given NZ a life line...Dammit.

I really, really, really hope it's not an ACL. Randle at the 36ers next season would be huge in so many ways both oncourt and offcourt and it's good to have a face of the franchise like that and with some continuity.

Reply #575423 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It would be bloody sad if Randle's out, he's been one of the stories of the season. It would also mean a huge adjustment for Adelaide, I don't think any other guard in the league is as ball dominant. As someone said earlier, if Randle's out you'd think it would breath some life into NZ this Weds.

Reply #575432 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

That was not dirty by AJ.

Reply #575437 | Report this post

For those who saying AJ was dirty, watch it again as i said Randle changing his path and causes the contact, no way AJ can be blamed for that. Hope Randle if injured is only missing for two weeks :)

Reply #575441 | Report this post

Great win by the 36ers. With Randle out for the night and being so close at 3 quarter time I didn't think they'd have any match for Illawarra's firepower. Ere was huge in the 4th, and really paced them for the whole game offensively. The Mitch and Waxy double act was working as it should and DJ finally pulled his finger out toward the end. Also nice that Gibbo looked like he was putting in a bit of an effort. There's no doubt that Illawarra's plan was to bring the aggression and to target Randle but you can't argue they go out to hurt blokes. It's a big blow for the team and for the league if Randle's out for the season and the next (making an assumption he was considering coming back again).

Reply #575447 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Hawks game plan to disrupt Randle with physicality.

Statements by players and coaches before the game, we have to get stuck into Randle.

He leaves the game injured, WOW NBL, you going to act on that.

Reply #575450 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

AJ's foul on Randle wasn't a stand out mugging but he was riding him on the run which is very dangerous. He never made an effort to get in guarding position because he wasn't fast enough so settled for trying to ride him from his path to the ring. At fast break speed, very dangerous. Given Bevo's open instruction the incident and the umpiring control on the game deserves review. Particularly since they will do it again next game and having seen this game and the one thursday night so will Perth and Melbourne!

Great emphatic response from our boys tho.

Reply #575452 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Nothing to act on, was a mis step. And it didn't work anyways, he had a heap of assists before the injury. If he had left with a black eye and bloodied lip perhaps but this was a sad freak accident. NBL needs to act on the refs

Reply #575453 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

^ This.

Reply #575454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my opinion randle was having his best game as a sixer before he went down. He wasn't scoring much as the Hawks were doubling him but he had 9assists and the rest of the team were involved. Some previous games it's been too much ISO ball so others were not involved.
Fingers crossed it's not an ACL but it didn't look good.
Walker played well, sobey will be great in a few years but needs some more ball handling experience, Gibbo hit a few nice shots finally, ere was on fire, creek did what creeky does. Enjoyable game overall but over officiated and umps lost control.

Reply #575455 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just watched the replay, and while the reffing wasn't brilliant, the main reason a lot of fouls were called in the first half was the players fouled a lot.

Re the Randle injury, he cut into the line Ogilvy was running and initiated the contact to draw a foul. He then rolled his ankle which seemed to result in the knee hyperextending.

Reply #575460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul don't know what you were watching but then you are mr opposition . Foxtel miked up ref response to Randall questioning whites contact on him was this is a mans game so toughen up.. That's appalling.. And grounds for serious reprimand. I hope Sixers management takes that further as there is no room for that.

Reply #575461 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah don't think there was any malice or ill intent from Ogilvy, bit surprise it was even raised tbh. Just a sad event that we are all crossing our fingers for that its not as bad as what it might first seem.

Reply #575462 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul don't know what you were watching"

A game where the players fouled a lot. A couple of weeks back in Townsville the refs did a really poor job, calling foul after foul and being far too soft.

I don't think that was the case last night. The refs were calling fouls and the players just kept pushing the limits. There were definitely a few howlers, but the vast majority of fouls were there. Smart players adjust.

Reply #575463 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I'm hearing the Randle injury might not be serious at all and he might only miss one game, if any at all. Official line is MRI tomorrow but word is the club is confident is was a hyper-extension and no real damage aside from that.

Fingers crossed that's the case.

Reply #575475 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He went down like he was shot the other game too and was alright. Hopefully he's either a fast healer or a dramatic actor!

Reply #575490 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Little bit from column A, little bit from column B I reckon ;)

Reply #575493 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure the injury he had in Thursday's game was in exactly the same spot as last night, so probably still a little tender. I must admit, I sit in that corner and got a good view of it and I didn't see anything that looked like the usual ACL buckle. So I'm hopeful, given what some have said above, that it is only a relatively minor injury.

Reply #575497 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Was hoping for something that Beantown can appreciate and that was a Paul Pierce style recovery. Honestly I just have my fingers crossed but can't help but be pessimistic.

Reply #575502 | Report this post

Saw the replay today, definitely got a knock to the side of the knee, so you could probably hope it's nothing more than a strained medial or lateral ligament. Whilst not an expert, in my experience the obvious presence of ongoing pain is actually a good sign, because most people I know who have totally blown out a knee haven't experienced any pain other than in the moments surrounding the initial injury. I do worry though that if he does somehow make it back, how the injury will effect his confidence to move freely like he does. You can't have any doubt in your body's ability to hold up playing the game Jerome does.

Reply #575507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, wait for MRI result and pray some good strapping and pain management can see him through and the organisation looks after him in the off season to get it all up to scratch for next year.. This is the chance for Sixers to make Jerome and his wife not want to leave by offering him a contract with that option for ongoing care and financial assistance rather than release him. This

Reply #575510 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"The refs were calling fouls and the players just kept pushing the limits. There were definitely a few howlers, but the vast majority of fouls were there. Smart players adjust."

I agree wholeheartedly. I was at the game. I thought the refs did as well as anyone would have with a game played the way the two teams chose to play. There were mystery calls but that's to be expected when players are grabbing and pushing each other simultaneously. My favourite was when Gibson owned up to the foul (stuck his hand up when the whistle went) only to see the foul given to the Illawarra player. Not a reffing error, just a reflection of both players doing the wrong thing and the ref tossing the coin to decide whom to punish.

And for those berating Illawarra's rough play, the 36ers clearly came out with the same intent. They got 5 of the first 7 fouls and they were fouls that were about setting a tone.

Nonetheless, the quality of basketball skills, coaching and execution by the teams outweighed the crude thuggery and it was a great game to watch.

Reply #575539 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754