Anonymous
Years ago

Crocs T-Shirt Cannon 'a weapon'

The Crocs T-Shirt Cannon has been confiscated by Police after a complaint...

The world has lost the plot!

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/cannon-plodder/news-story/c8845976ca96f524681c19a65384aa9c

Topic #38933 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

WTF!! Is this some kind of joke ?!!
Surely they can appeal this, that is just ridiculous.

Reply #576230 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The local Police emailed them, wtf??

Reply #576231 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Some kid probably complained he missed out on getting one to his father a cop then cop full of family pride went further.

Reply #576236 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I just find it amazing that the local Police didn't call or see them directly, but sent an email, astonishing practice if true...

Reply #576237 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Chris Goulding told a kid in the crowd he'd make sure they never fired a t-shirt to him, and after the NBL took no action the kid's dad went to the cops.

Reply #576238 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A police spokesman said the seizure came after another person tried to order a similar cannon. It is believed that person dobbed in the Crocodiles after being questioned by authorities.

"This has come out of a recent determination from the QPS Ballistics Section in relation to a person attempting to import a T-shirt cannon into Queensland," the police spokesman said.

Mr Honan said the situation was bemusing, considering they had been shooting T-shirts into the crowd for a decade.

“We don't understand it,” he said.

Reply #576239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the Tigers!

Reply #576243 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

so will the local dart club have their darts confiscated by police next.

Reply #576252 | Report this post

Was the complainant "A. Bose"?

Reply #576268 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Classic cops. Wonder why they have issues with the community

Reply #576270 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

:face palm: at the Queensland Police

Reply #576274 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Nobody snitch to the cops that the Wildcats have T Shirt Cannons and Gatling Cannons too!

Reply #576284 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

The difference with the Crocs cannons and the Wildcats cannons is the Crocs cannon works

Reply #576295 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The 'I'm offended' brigade have had some real bizarre ones this year, but I think this might be a new low.
It's been an interesting start to the year.

Reply #576301 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's weird, but it actually makes some kind of sense. I have wondered about this myself from time to time.
Take the item away from the arena, load it with a ball or potato, and it becomes a weapon. Under our strict laws you would not be allowed to own it.
Is a sporting team exempt from the law?
When I was a kid, the yacht club used to used a shotgun loaded with blanks to start and finish races. I doubt that would be permitted nowdays.

Plus, I don't really see why the Crocs need a cannon to reach their crowds?

Reply #576313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like the police had been ignoring it for 10 years, until it was actively brought to their attention. It's unlikely they didn't already know about it and the cannon does meet the firearm definition under Queensland's Weapons Act.

The only genuine reasons for possession of a weapon under that Act are:

"(a) sports or target shooting;
(b) recreational shooting;
(c) an occupational requirement, including an occupational requirement for rural purposes;
(d) the collection, preservation or study of weapons;
(e) another reason prescribed under a regulation."

(c) requires the firearm to be "necessary in the
conduct of the applicant's business or employment". The cannon's use wouldn't have met that criterion.

The Act leaves the police no discretion. Once the use of the cannon was brought to their attention, they could not be seen to be acting other than as required under that Act.

Interestingly, the slingshot alternative mentioned by the club (in the article) also falls under the firearm definition in that Act.

Townsville have the option of lobbying the relevant Minister to add their use of the cannon as a "genuine reason" by regulation ((e) above).

Reply #576433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to mention the unsuspecting person in the stands who may get hit by the incoming projectile.

Reply #576436 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:12 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754