Dazz
Years ago

Gleeson: "Fit of Pique" OR Calculated Insult

Sorry for the separate thread, but I feel there are questions that need answered.
For those who missed the game (and if you did, count yourself luck) here is what transpired:

The Cats started with one of the regular starting fives: Jawai, Knight, Redhage (Prather injured), Beal, and Martin. They jogged up and down the court, make almost no effort on D, threw up a couple of half-assed shots, and made dis-interested efforts at rebounding.
After 2:00 minutes, the Kings were up 11-nil.
Gleeson benched the entire starting 5, put on the bench, including DP Wroe, and the game finally began in earnest.
By the end of the 1st quarter, the Cats' bench had pegged it back to a 1-point defect.

And the "weirdness" didn't stop.
Beal was apparently under instructions not to shoot.
The ONLY shot he attempted was when they were passing it around, running down the shot-clock, and I think there was an aborted shot and he ended up with the ball with the clock running out.

So my first question is whether this was deliberate?
If Perth play even slightly like this in the finals, they will get clobbered.

So the shit opening 2 minutes: Was than in some way "planned" or were they really that bad?
Was Gleeson benching the starting 5 after 2 minutes simply him giving them a massive pineapple, or was it calculated?

I know it sounds crazy to suggest that they planned to give the Kings a head-start, but if not they were unbelievably bad.

Topic #38943 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

No.

Reply #576460 | Report this post

What?

After the first seven Sydney points, Gleeson told either Hire or Kenny to check. After the next bucket, they were both sitting at the scorers table. After the next one, he spagged it and ripped the five out.

I dont know where you got that info about Beal but at one point during the game he was getting his back worked on by the trainers on the bench.

Why would any of what transpired be deliberate?

Reply #576461 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Take it easy Dazz, that's some pretty odd stuff to think, let alone put out there! They were simply jumped a little bit and like true title contenders do, locked in real quick and it was over.

Reply #576462 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

SC, it was Kenny first followed by Jervis.

Reply #576463 | Report this post

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.

Either way, I still don't know why any of it would be premeditated.

Reply #576464 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Dazz,
This has to be the stupidest (serious) thread I've seen on Hoops Forum in a while. Why would the Cats give Sydney a head start?
Why would Gleeson tell Beal not to shoot?
He wouldn't.....

Reply #576467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, with yet another Dazzler.

Reply #576471 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As I said:::
"I know it sounds crazy to suggest that they planned to give the Kings a head-start, but if not they were unbelievably bad."

I just can't figure out what was happening.

Can someone please explain the following:

How the Sydney Kings (not just any team, but the spooners, minus key players, and a team that apart from this was crap all night) went on an 11-zip run in the opening two minutes. Whilst the best defensive team in the league, on their home court, shuffled around like zombies.
(When I ask "planned" in some way, what I'm asking is whether there was some form of consensus to just not try very hard, or maybe just a shared opinion that the game would be easy? Either way, not impressed.)

Why did Gleeson bench his entire starting 5 after 2 minutes, put on his bench and run predominately with them for the rest of the game. Was it just him giving his starters a kick in the ass? Or did he realise that it was a great opportunity to get some minutes & form into the bench?

WTF is up with Beal? As I said, he took only one shot all night, and that was forced.
The biggest fear (and most obvious explanation) is that he is injured.
But then why not bench him completely?

Reply #576474 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He only played twelve minutes.

Gleeson played his best five on the night. It's not complicated.

Reply #576475 | Report this post

The starters sucked, the bench came on and played well, some starters came back on and continued to suck, while the bench continued to play well, so they got the minutes they deserved. Really not that hard to grasp.

Reply #576482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Beal has other issues to worry about.

Reply #576485 | Report this post

Great, here comes a "What Issues does Beal have to Worry About?" thread from Dazz.

Reply #576489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope this thread was the result of a lot of drugs because it's cray cray

Reply #576495 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Jawai also got his back rubbed on the bench whilst Beal was being worked on.

Hard to believe that it was planned as the 5 bench players got 10 straight minutes of game time .

Agree that if they don't lift they will get a spanking but let's call a spade a spade, we are such a different team when Prather isn't available

Reply #576626 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

As Gleeson said on the radio to ABC Perth 'If they arnt performing, they sit down and we bring the other guys on'

Ive no problem with that. If the player you have on is cold, you bring on a warmer player and hope that the guy sitting on the pine sees this as a challenge and warms up quickly.

Reply #576652 | Report this post

Young Khalifa  
Years ago

Dazz is an idiot.

Reply #576686 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It is certainly an unusual and unexpected event when three of your starters, who usually play good minutes, only see 12 minutes or less of court time each.

But a win is a win. If it worked, more power to the coach.

Reply #576695 | Report this post

I think its one of the better coaching displays from Gleeson, to be honest. He played the guys that deserved to be out there and benched those that didn't.

Reply #576701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

calculated insult... rofl... this is Gleeson you're talking about not some super coach

Reply #576729 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:22 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754