LV
Years ago

Hawks Odds

Illawarra is paying $3.25 with TAB for the championship. Compared to Perth $2.80, Melb $4 and NZ $6.

Now, consider that Illawarra is guaranteed to NOT have home court advantage in the semis. Their away record is 6-8 this season. For Illawarra to win the championship, they will have to find a way to win on the road- something they haven't done all season- and they’ll probably need to do it against teams who have lost 4 games combined at home this season in Melbourne and Perth.

Also consider this- of all the possible permutations that are set to play out this week, the most likely scenario is Perth finishing 2nd and Illawarra finishing 3rd. Meaning Illawarra would play a Perth team who beat them 4 times in a row this season. In the two matchups in Perth, Perth won by 29 and 23.

So given all of the above, why is Illawarra a close second in favouritism to Perth, and more favoured than Melbourne- who is guaranteed home court advantage in the semis? The Hawks odds seem "odd" to me.

I’m resisting the temptation to put any more money on the NBL this season- because I’ve been crafty enough to put myself in a position where I’ll finish ahead if any of Illawarra, NZ or Melbourne win it, and roughly break even if Perth do- but I just cannot understand why Perth and Melbourne’s odds aren’t both significantly lower than Illawarra’s, given those two teams have already locked in home court advantage.

Topic #38953 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

As a one eyed Perth fan, Melbourne at $4 seems extremely high.

Reply #576679 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Melbourne and Perth both have a lot going for them.

Melbourne has beaten Perth 3 out of 4 and Illawarra 3 out of 4. They've only lost 2 games at home.

Perth has only lost 2 games at home and they’ve registered some extremely impressive wins- destroying Melbourne by 30, and Illawarra by 29 and 23. So you could argue that Melbourne has gotten the better of close games this season- with nail biting wins by a point or two against Perth (twice), Illawarra, NZ- but that Perth has been more impressive overall.

But why Illawarra is ahead of Melbourne and so close to Perth- that’s a complete mystery to me.

I’m not saying the Hawks have no chance- I’ve put a fair chunk of money on them myself- but at this point they should be around $4.50 at absolute best. With $5 or $5.50 probably a more accurate reflection of their chances. How they are $3.25 is a complete mystery to me.

Reply #576681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckon NZ at $6.00 is good , will be an interesting weekend against MU, odds could drop quickly.

Reply #576687 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If I was starting from scratch I'd put money on NZ and MU and hedge on Perth.

Say $80 on NZ and $120 MU, and $56 on Perth.

That gives a very tempting payoff matrix.

You're basically saying that Melbourne and NZ have a higher combined chance of winning than Illawarra and Adelaide. If Perth wins you get your money back.

Reply #576688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ will destroy the United. Mark my words. Much like Perth will beat the Hawks due to superior matchups upfront.

In the playoffs the bigger and stronger defensive grind it out teams will win. I am expecting another Perth V Breakers finals.

Reply #576691 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

There is a huge flaw in that logic:

If NZ beat United in both games this weekend, we'll most likely have a Perth vs NZ semi finals.....

Reply #576693 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree that Illawarra should be longer but I think the bookies are wary of them all firing in the right game. Further, they might have been backed in to some degree.

In two of the ILL-PER games, the Hawks were leading at home and lost late.

In one of the PER-ILL games, they were missing Penney.

But yeah, you wouldn't put your house on them in Perth.

Reply #576694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having United as fav's to win the minor premiership at $1.7 then longer odds to win the title then Perth and the Hawks is a little strange.

If United have home court all the way through finals I would think they'd be hard to beat.

Reply #576696 | Report this post

Maybe those are cheeseburger prices?

Reply #576699 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Illawarra is paying $3.25 with TAB for the championship.

I put $20 on them at $13 for the title before the start of the season.

Reply #576702 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

You would like to see those odds at about 6 or 8:1 to place any decent coin down.

Illawarra v Perth should be a good series and should go to 3. Perth takes out G1, then Illawarra G2, but G3 is open as I would suggest a quick turnaround and the away team has the advantage. The home team gets back into a nice warm cosy bed with a home cooked meal by their WAG. The body says "phew, it's time to wind down" and so when it comes to game day their body is thinking "what, this again?"

The away team are together in the same hotel. They have nothing better to do so they have a light dinner then go back to the Captain's room for a bit of a de-breif and chat tactics. Maybe go over some game tapes and notice than this player twitches a certain way if he fakes right and his eyes look a certain way if he's about to pass. Adrenalin is flowing, the lost the first game and came back in the second.

Reply #576705 | Report this post

I don't think historical data supports that theory.

Reply #576706 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Very recent historical data suggests that the combined win loss records of all teams still in playoff contention in NBL season 2015 and 2016 have been as follows:

Home: 52 wins and 14 losses.

Away: 27 wins and 38 losses.

Reply #576707 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I reckon $4 for Melbourne is good value. If I was in to that sort of thing, I'd have me some of that.
Cannot possibly see why Hawks are shorter.
In my view, MU should be favourites,
followed by Perth,
With NZ a chance of an upset.

For mine, Hawks don't even figure into it.
Mostly likely scenario is a SF series against Perth, team they have lost to 4 times.
Don't get me wrong, they're a good team, and have done very well this season, I just think there are better teams already ensconced in the top 2.

Reply #576713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV you do realise TAB aren't the only bookmaker out there?

I've noticed TAB (and their offshoot Luxbet) have had Hawks on the second line for a month now. Someone over at TABCorp has a hardon for the Hawks.

Every other bookmaker has them third.

Reply #576717 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I only bet sporadically, and only with Sportsbet and TAB Sportsbet.

Sportsbet still hasn't released new odds this week.

Centrebet and Willam Hill are more realistic- Perth 2.75, Mel 3, Illawarra 4 and NZ 7- but even then I would've thought Illawarra would be longer and NZ would be shorter than that. At $7 NZ is very nice value.

Reply #576748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TAB now are:

Perth Wildcats 2.80
Illawarra Hawks 3.25
Melbourne United 4.00
New Zealand Breakers 6.00
Adelaide 36ers 21.00

Very odd since NBL playoffs series usually go to the home side and Melbourne will end up #1 in the majority of possible scenarios after the last round of results.

Other bookies are Perth, Melbourne, Illawarra, NZ & Adel. No love for Melbourne either but Illawarra are 3rd at least.

Reply #576817 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

I wouldn't be writing the Hawks off just yet. Only needs Penny and Lisch to get white hot, which they are both capable of and the whole playoff scenario changes.

Reply #576886 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Cheeseburgers in Adelaide are out of control...

Reply #576887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its likely the tab took money on the Hawks at high odds earlier in the season and are looking to keep them safe (or not take anymore bets on them). Judging by the odds the Hawks are likely the tabs worst result.

Reply #576892 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Thing you have to remember is that the TAB and other betting agencies don't set the odds as an indication on whose most and least likely to win.

They set the odds to make the most money possible.

I don't know much about human pyschology but people would still start jumping on ILL at $3.25 - I know i still do it for other sports (hangs head in shame). "Oh X have come down to $ Y, actually maybe they are a really good chance, yeah they can win, yeah they will win".

Reply #576896 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Nobody would bet on the Hawks at $3.25 right now. That was the point of this thread.

Reply #576903 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Anon is probably right.

Reply #576905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I think someone unloaded on the Hawks at TAB. Makes sense.

Reply #577127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most bookies now have:

Perth $2.70-$3.00
Melbourne $3.00-$3.50
Illawarra $3.50-$5.00
New Zealand $4.40-$6.00

Some have top two joint but Perth always #1 or tied.
Melbourne all have as #2 or joint #1.

Illawarra is joint #2 with Melb with some but generally #3 but joint 3rd with NZ at some books.

NZ 4th or 3rd.

The rankings are all over the shop.

TAB are still Illawarra second outright.

Reply #577685 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Centrebet's latest:

NBL championship odds now that the final four are set: Perth $2.75, Melbourne $3.25, New Zealand $4, Illawarra $5.

Reply #577867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TAB:

Perth $3.00, Illawarra $3.25 Melbourne $3.25, New Zealand $5.50

Reply #577954 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:14 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754